Affirmations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a pretty big believer in the mind as a tool in labour, so I want to be filling mine with positive affirmations in the next little bit and throughout labour. I have a few great ones in my Hypnobirthing books, but I'd love more. Anyone have some to share?

Veggie, babywearing, cloth diapering, lactivist, intactivist, 2x HBAC, non-vaccing nurse and doula, wife of my babies' sweet Dada, Momma of 3 with another coming mid summer.

#2 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 08:38 AM

I used Ina May's suggestion for an affirmation:

"I'm gonna get huge!"

Sounds tacky... but with every contraction I was not afraid or tense... I was like, I need to get huge so my baby will come! I think it worked rather well too!

The other thing I did is after every intense contraction, I would say out loud that's one more contraction closer to holding my baby!

I did really well mentally through labor. I was surprised... let's just hope this time is just as zen

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#3 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 PM

I have a 3 page list of birth affirmations. If you want I can post them & you can pick out what you like. Let me know!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#4 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I have a 3 page list of birth affirmations. If you want I can post them & you can pick out what you like. Let me know!
I would appreciate that!
Last time I repeated over and over with each contraction: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." And to make it more 'interesting' I tried to see how many different ways I could say it.
Also, I reminded myself of my SIL and all of the countless billions of women who have birthed children naturally before me.
My DH was really amazed at how comatose I was during labor, I really think it helped so I'm going to try to duplicate that again this time.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#5 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When we were trying to get my body to relax with DD's birth when my cervix swelled, it was all I could do to just make it through the triple peaking contractions. My doula would get right in my face and make me breathe. With each breath she said, "you can do this, you can do this". Staring at her face and having her say that was the only thing that got me through that! It was such a simple thing, but sometimes that's what you need if it gets really rough.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 04:35 PM

As a doula I hear "I can't do it anymore" a lot. I tell my Mamas "But you ARE doing it!". So when I was in labor I kept telling myself that "I'm doing it, I'm doing it". I told myself that a LOT since I was in labor for 48 hours!

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#7 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 PM

A while back, someone posted the same thread in "I'm Pregnant" forum. One lady shared her pregnancy affirmation and it clicked for me and I use it whenever I begin to feel a bit off, it now feels like a mantra when I say it, it calms me and refocuses my energy to "us".

I am a happy, healthy momma
I have a happy, healthy baby
This is a happy, healthy pregnancy
We will have a happy, healthy pregnancy.

I like the simplicity of it. Here are some others that I've collected:

~ My baby and I are working together

~ My body will open to birth my baby

~ "The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you." by Author Unknown

~ "Pregnancy is the only time in a woman’s life she can help God work a miracle." by Erma Bombeck

~ "Everything in nature bespeaks the Mother." by Author Unknown

~ Faith, Acceptance, Surrender

~ "We have a secret in our culture, it's not that birth is painful, but that women are strong." by Laura Stavoe Harm

You are a woman, a daughter of daughters.

Within you is the strength, courage, and love of a woman, of a mother.

You have been given the gift because you can do this, it has always been in you to do this.

Do not fear what is to be, rather, go forth in knowledge and confidence.

Follow your heart, your instincts, they will not lie to you.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#8 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 06:17 PM

I give birth joyfully, easily and without complications.

I am fearless.

My body knows exactly what it's doing.

I trust in my ability to birth my baby.

I am completely relaxed and comfortable.

I am strong.

Body and mind work together to birth my baby.

"Soft, relaxing, open."

Soon my baby will be in my arms.

My body is made to give birth, nice and easy.

I believe my baby's birth will come quickly, peacefully and easily.

My body is completely relaxed.

Relax my mind and muscles.

I am in complete control of what is going on around me.

Inhale peace, exhale tension

I have no fear or concern.

My body will birth my baby safely and effectively.

My body has a wide open space for my baby to descend. There is nothing in the way.

My body will give birth in it's own time. Birth is a natural occurrence for which my body has been perfectly designed.

I have the power to handle whatever happens.

My mind is at peace, focused on nothing but my baby.

I believe in myself and I have nothing to fear.

I give birth in safety.

My body is meant to give birth efficiently, naturally, and without complications.

Birth is a joyful event.

I follow my instincts and give birth in the way I desire.

I am ready and prepared for this.

Birth is a safe and wonderful experience.

I will give birth without complications.

I am not afraid.

I know my baby feels our calmness and confidence.

I trust in my ability to give birth.

My body knows exactly what it is doing.

I am confident in my ability to birth naturally, peacefully and easily.

My body is made to give birth, nice and easy.

I believe my baby's birth will come quickly and easily.

My body is completely relaxed.

All I need to do is relax and breathe - nothing else.

I feel the strong waves of labor and know that everything is normal and progressing.

My body knows how to have this baby just as my body knew how to grow this baby.

I love my baby and I am doing all that is necessary to bring about a healthy birth.

Birth is an easy and natural occurrence for which my body has been perfectly designed.

I have the energy and stamina to birth my baby.

There will be no complications.

I do not fight the birth in any way. My body is totally relaxed. I am not afraid.

Just let my body do it; let it happen.

Each surge of my body brings my baby closer to me.

My mind is relaxed; my body is relaxed.

My baby knows how and when to be born.

Only I can give birth to this baby.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#9 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the thread! I really needed to read the affirmations. I've been a bundle of anxiety this week!

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
#10 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

woohoo!! Thanks for the terrific replies... keep them coming! There can never be too much positive energy.

My own mantra during my last labour was, "I can do anything for a minute" which isn't poetic, but I believed it, and getting past each minute one at a time was all I was able to focus on. Birth is so in the moment for me.

Veggie, babywearing, cloth diapering, lactivist, intactivist, 2x HBAC, non-vaccing nurse and doula, wife of my babies' sweet Dada, Momma of 3 with another coming mid summer.

#11 of 17 Old 08-07-2010, 12:40 PM

i really like the word "surrender"
i surrender my mind to my body, i surrender my body to the process, somehow that word allows me to mentally let go. we'll see how it works in practice.

also: "i'm having a BABY" i imagine i might forget!

DD: 8/10

#12 of 17 Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 PM

Excellent thread mamas!! Thanks!
And kimkim, I DID forget with DD! It wasn't until quite a ways into labor when my water broke and DH said, "Well, I guess that means for sure we will have our baby tonite." that it dawned on me what I was doing!! The purpose of why got lost in all the concentration and, unfortunately, my fear. I keep reminding DH to remind me during birthing this time of the purpose to all of this so I don't forget again!
My hypnobabies CDs have some great affirmations, but I really love seeing all the beautiful ones here.

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#13 of 17 Old 08-07-2010, 09:40 PM

maciascl I loved yours so much I printed it out!
Thanks so much.
#14 of 17 Old 08-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Having a focal point during labour really helped me and my mother deliver our babies,
we had mostly hm births, but even at the hospital friends of mine have used religious Icons or even flowers or photos as focal points of encouragement during labour, also spending a little time alone during labour to reconnect with your own strength has helped me, especially when others strength doesn't seem strong enough to help me through,
I just take a little time away to tell myself that only I can do this, and it almost always works and helps me dilate faster.
#15 of 17 Old 08-08-2010, 12:17 AM

I envision pictures more than words. I hum and tune everything out and envision my cervix as a gigantic, Jack in the bean stalk, blooming rose. I love to watch flowers open. Ina May also had a statue where her cervix/vagina was bigger than her body..the statues head barely peaked over it. I also envision any discomfort, pain, or fear leaving through my finger tips and toes as electricity or something. Envisioning pictures helps my mind to stay blank and not allow negativity in. Worked with all my births. I do have a lot of birthing scriptures that I usually use during false labor...that's usually when negative thoughts or fear overcome me.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#16 of 17 Old 08-08-2010, 01:30 AM

LOVE this.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#17 of 17 Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 AM

I wish I'd been able to hang on to this one longer my first time around, but when I first started hitting real active labor, I was chanting over and over "This is good, this is good. " Really was helping me. Lost track of that in all the hubub of getting out of the house and everything. Went to a good ol' fashioned low groan through the rest!

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page