Evening Primrose Oil--when and how? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard a lot about EPO and would like to start using it.

Anyone have any experience with EPO that they would like to share? Have you used it in the past? Did it "work" for you?

Also--importantly--how do I use it? When and how to I take it? How much? There's a lot of conflicting info out there.

Thanks!

5*10*15*20****25****30***35****40*42
#2 of 7 Old 07-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Here's what I did the first time, at the recommendation of my doula and the blessing of my midwife:

Took 2 pills vaginally (just shove them in as far as they will go) at bedtime starting at 36 weeks. I don't remember the dosage of the capsules. I'm hoping they are a standard dosage so I don't have to wonder when I start this time. Some people take them orally, as well, but there is debate about how effective it is compared to taking them vaginally.

Did it work? Hmm.... that's a tough one. I went to 40w4d with my first, which I think was not so bad, really, and my cervix did dilate pretty quickly once active labor began. I was doing other stuff, too, though, including hypnobirthing, which I think helped open my cervix. I think it certainly doesn't hurt, so you may as well do it. I'm planning to stop and get some this afternoon and start it tonight since I have passed 36 weeks.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#3 of 7 Old 07-06-2010, 01:33 PM
LZP

I'm just beginning my 36th week (so "35 weeks") today. I have an MW appt on Thursday where we'll be discussing this. From my "research" - reading various sources online - I think taking it orally starting at 35 weeks to replace a fish oil supplement if you take one, and then switch to vaginally starting anywhere between 36-38 weeks is an average course of action. there is some good info about it in a thread in the July DDC that I just read too.

I think my gelcaps, if I remember correctly, are 1000mg each. I would take them the first 1/2 of my cycle while TTC. I dont know what the recommended dosage is though; I am planning to take 2 orally starting this week as soon as I run out of fish oil (tomorrow) and then just use one at night vaginally. Oh, and I think it's recommended to prick it with a pin before inserting it.

from my weekly cervical checks, things are already pretty squishy down there; maybe from the fish oil supps? Hoping that's a good indication of fairly easy dilation!!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#4 of 7 Old 07-06-2010, 01:46 PM

DDC Crashing...

I took them with my first DD and plan to do so with this one. 36 weeks seems to be the standard time, but I didn't know about it then. I waited until my cervical check at 38 weeks when I apparently was starting to dilate/efface. I took 1000 mgs orally in the am and 1000 mgs vaginally (gelcaps that I punctured with a knife prior to insertion) at night. I started this on a Sat and had my daughter on a Wed, so I can say it sure as heck didn't HURT! And we will definitely be doing it again this time around once I know my cervix is already changing.

Make sure you wear a pad at night with the vaginal ones because it can and will be messy. For me, it also seemed to make my MP come, so serious mess for me...LOL!

Oh and the oral versus vag debate....it is the vaginal insertion that actually does anything for your cervix but the oral sort of reinforces it, if that makes any sense. Most bottles of EPO come in 500mg or 1000mg strengths, so either one will do it.

HTH,
Samantha

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#5 of 7 Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM

I remember taking it orally but was opposed to doing anything vaginally (my own weird issue) but I don't remember exactly what they are supposed to do. Is it to help soften the cervix? I am all for this one coming a bit early but it must be in August (again my own weird thing) so I don't know that I want to start anything to 'help' until 8/1 when I am 38 weeks.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#6 of 7 Old 07-06-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I remember taking it orally but was opposed to doing anything vaginally (my own weird issue) but I don't remember exactly what they are supposed to do. Is it to help soften the cervix?
Exactly. It's supposed to help "ripen" the cervix so that dilation is more efficient when labor begins on its own. It supposedly won't hasten the onset of labor, but the warnings not to take it until late pregnancy make it seem like there is some doubt about that.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#7 of 7 Old 07-06-2010, 04:07 PM

I believe in EPO being beneficial, wholeheartedly!

In my normal cycles, I have difficult cramps and heavy bleeding...until I began EPO. After a couple of months, things really eased up. I'm a big supporter.

As far as in pregnancy, that's great, too! It encourages the release of prostalgandins, which aid in softening, and dilation, and even position of the cervix. With the exception of my 1st, which was a pre-eclamptic PROM/delivery at 34 weeks, I've NEVER ripened before being induced or sectioned before dates. However, with my last baby, a VBA2C, I began taking oral EPO at 32 weeks when I switched from fish oil, and began also adding in vaginal EPO at 35 weeks. I went past my due dates, and then my OB ruptured my membranes to get labor to start (hospital was worrying since I was past dates) and my labor was only a few hours. The difference was I was WAY soft and squishy, and dilated enough to break my water-something that hadn't happened before.

So, I'm doing oral EPO right now at 33 weeks, and will add in vaginal EPO in 2 or 3 weeks.

Blessed Christian Wife and Mother to 5 +Oliver James-Our 10 lb 9 oz born Labor Day 2010!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page