Vitamin K drops (refusing injection) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm refusing the vitamin K injection this time. DS got it, but since then I've done a lot of reading. The injection has propylene glycol (an ingredient I do not like) and is a much higher dose than baby needs. One article I read said that it can actually contribute to jaundice because that high a dosage is hard for the newborn kidneys to process. Vit K is also a fat soluble vitamin, so high doses can lead to toxicity.
So.... I went into a local compounding pharmacy the other day looking to see if they could make me som vit k drops. They were so confused as to what I was asking. They thought I wanted them to order in the injection vit k so I could give it to them orally. Seriously???

Does anyonw know where to fin vitamin k drops for newborns??? I'd love to find out what other people's experiences have been!
#2 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM

DDCC -

My midwife has me ordering this http://www.birthwithlove.com/categor...+%29Oral+Vit+K (in the 1/2 oz. size)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I live in Canada - hope this comes through for me!!! I'll inquire at the MW office first though
#4 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM

Just wanted to say that the drops have downfalls as well. I've heard that nothing except breast milk should be given to babies orally for the first couple of weeks. I interferes with their gut. It's such a crucial time for their digestive system. It's busy making all the right bacteria to have a healthy digestive tract and breast milk is full of all the right stuff. I've also heard that the oral dose doesn't quite cut it if baby really needs it. It's been said to be possible useless. Because of that I've opted out of both the shot and the oral vit K. We're choosing to play it by ear. If there is indication to get Vit K (like significant bruising) then we'll go ahead with the injection, otherwise nothing will be given to baby. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you're still weighing out your options.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#5 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
Just wanted to say that the drops have downfalls as well. I've heard that nothing except breast milk should be given to babies orally for the first couple of weeks. I interferes with their gut. It's such a crucial time for their digestive system. It's busy making all the right bacteria to have a healthy digestive tract and breast milk is full of all the right stuff. I've also heard that the oral dose doesn't quite cut it if baby really needs it. It's been said to be possible useless. Because of that I've opted out of both the shot and the oral vit K. We're choosing to play it by ear. If there is indication to get Vit K (like significant bruising) then we'll go ahead with the injection, otherwise nothing will be given to baby. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you're still weighing out your options.
FWIW my midwife has ME taking it, not the baby, because it is very easily passed over in breastmilk.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
FWIW my midwife has ME taking it, not the baby, because it is very easily passed over in breastmilk.
That's cool. What a good idea, I hadn't heard of that approach.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#7 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
That's cool. What a good idea, I hadn't heard of that approach.
I hadnt either until she explained it to me yesterday. She explained a lot I was not aware of, and I research this stuff all the time!

#8 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Ditto to PP - my midwife has me taking the Vit K as well. She said we could do the oral K for him if I wanted, but I'd need to order it and have it on hand for her. Or her second option was that I could just take the tablets myself and basically achieve the same result.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#9 of 11 Old 07-06-2010, 11:37 PM

Way cool! Mae - before I go searching, you don't happen to have any links that discuss the research on mom taking vit K, and how much you need to take?

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#10 of 11 Old 07-07-2010, 10:48 AM

subbing because I have absolutely no clue what we are going to do at this point. I keep going back and forth daily from oral, to injection to nothing at all. DH is vehemently against the injection, and for the most part so am I but man oh man I just don't know what to do about this one... DS had a HUGE raised hematoma on his head, that was black and blue for weeks, so to me that would indicate the injection should have been done (and it was because I didn't know better at the time anyway)... and since this little one is either going to be C section or induction that tells me she might possibly need SOMETHING. argggh I am so torn on this one

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#11 of 11 Old 07-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayK View Post
Way cool! Mae - before I go searching, you don't happen to have any links that discuss the research on mom taking vit K, and how much you need to take?
Nope... Midwife talked a little about it at last appointment but since that was my first REAL appointment with her (as I just finally moved down here) we had tons of other things we had to talk about. I go back on the 21st and will get more info then.

there is some info on the link I posted earlier in this thread though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page