MW appt today/ MW/ DOC updates... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an appt with my back up mw at the hospital today to make sure I do have back up. Baby had their head to the left, bum to the right and knees pretty much upward. The cord is on the left side below baby's head and the placenta is near my cervix, so she is having me go in again Thurs to rule out placenta previa. Also planning to do an EVC if baby doesn't turn. The hosp mw is concerned about cord prolapse if we don't turn baby. Other than that things were fine. Her nurse told me I was getting the group B check but when the mw came in she asked if I wanted to and I told her no and she was totally cool with it.

I will say I was reminded of one of the reasons I really like hb mw clinics/home visits better. I waited in the waiting room for 30 mins or so at the hospital. Then waited half naked in the room she checked me in for I'm not sure how long. Then when we went to the u/s room I waited a few times for shorter periods. However DH was there with all 3 of our other kids, because he wanted to see the u/s. (He wants to know what baby is) and it was just a long stressful situation. It would've been worse if I'd been alone though. At least the kids were there to distract me from getting too frustrated with the waiting. I don't have a lot of patience right now.
#32 of 59 Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 PM

Ultrasound today showed plenty of fluid, placenta looking good, baby head down and he's measuring about 8 lbs and 11 oz.

And now I'm back laying around or sitting on my butt with my feet up until my NST on Thursday.

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
#33 of 59 Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 AM

Had my weekly NST/fluid check today, both went well, babe was very active, but they did have a challenge getting fluid measurements as he had gotten the hiccups at the end of the NST! It was really something to see him hiccuping on the ultrasound.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#34 of 59 Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM

Saw the MFM today for the first time. Little One is doing well... measuring at the 53rd percentile... which means he'll be my smallest baby yet. (Two nearly 10 pounders, one almost 9 pounder.) BPP and NST were great. Got my HbA1c results back and it was 5.1%.... completely normal. MFM says based on that and how well baby is doing, he would let me go to 40 weeks if nothing changes. Yippee! I've always been induced at 39 weeks except for DS2, who decided to come on his own.

I may actually pick out a newborn outfit for the little guy, as I had bought a 3 month outfit as his going home outfit. For my other babies, the newborn size has been way too tight.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out child care for my other three kids should I go into labor early.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#35 of 59 Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Went into the doctors office today to see my family practice doc for a UTI screening. It's been showing up slightly at the last couple of midwife appointments and with all the contractions I've been having we thought it best to get the abx if needed. Well, urine came back pretty good. White blood cell count is slightly high but certainly not high enough to diagnose a UTI.

Positives of the visit were:

The cutest little medical assistant who was oh so curious about my homebirth. She asked tons of questions and just listened in awe to my replies. It really made my day how interested she was even though she clearly had reservations about it. But she asked so nicely and was so eager to learn.

My family practice doc wrote up a referral to the chiropractor. Phew. Maybe I'll get some relief from this hip/lower back pain in these last couple of weeks. Now it's off to find a chiro who will except this referral and bill my insurance. Yippy!!!!

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#36 of 59 Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 PM

Had my MW appt today. Nice and relaxing. It was the first one I've been to where one of my kids didn't want to tag along so I was able to just hang out and talk. My midwives had a birth the night before, so they were up until about 2 or 3am and tired, poor things!

Anyway....everything is normal. I'm about 36.5 wks. Gained half a pound, so up to 170, about 33lbs gain so far. You may remember I was measuring 37 weeks at my last appt 2 weeks ago..well, I'm still measuring 37 weeks, so things are just evening out. Since everything is going along so smoothly I'm gonna squeeze another bi-weekly visit until I start my weekly ones.
Feels like I'm in the final countdown ::cue Europe::

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#37 of 59 Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 PM

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well.

I did finally get the results of the NST and BPP the other day. She said everything looked fine. Scored 8/8 on BPP but scored 0/2 on something else. Can't remember what though. DS test or something. She wasn't concerned. My bloodwork also came back perfect. No pre-e!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#38 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimestersdoula View Post
Glad to hear everyone is doing so well.

I did finally get the results of the NST and BPP the other day. She said everything looked fine. Scored 8/8 on BPP but scored 0/2 on something else. Can't remember what though. DS test or something. She wasn't concerned. My bloodwork also came back perfect. No pre-e!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Good news, Jaclyn!

I had an appt yesterday at 37w5d, and my bp was 120/74, which is way high for me. The mw didn't say anything about it, so I guess that's still okay. I'm not sure what I should do if I want to get it down. Walk more, walk less? Eat different things? Drink more water? My bp is usually around 98/60, so it's odd. I have been feeling nauseated some, but nothing else unusual. Again, no one mentioned it. I looked it up on my online chart just today.

I am measuring 38 weeks, so right on track. No VE, at my request, so I don't know if all the contractions I've been having are doing anything or not. I know it doesn't really mean anything to be at 0 or 1 or 3 right now, so I just don't want to know, and I don't want the discomfort.

DH went to my appointment with me yesterday for the first time this pg. I was thinking I might be at the point where I don't want to drive into the big city by myself, but I think I would've been fine. I'm glad he went, though, because we did the birth plan this time and took a drive by the hospital. DH couldn't remember where we had parked last time. Good thing we did the trial run yesterday. He would've dropped me off at the veterans hospital if we'd done it cold on labor day

Next visit is at 39 weeks. I think I'll definitely hold on until then, and probably don't have much chance of baby coming before 39.5 weeks, but everyone around me is already on high baby alert.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#39 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Sounds like everyone is having pretty good appointments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
I had an appt yesterday at 37w5d, and my bp was 120/74, which is way high for me. The mw didn't say anything about it, so I guess that's still okay. I'm not sure what I should do if I want to get it down. Walk more, walk less? Eat different things? Drink more water? My bp is usually around 98/60, so it's odd.
Was that taken with a machine or the old-fashioned way? Seems like it's more common these days for them to use the machines, which are pretty variable IMO. Last week the nurse who took mine (with a machine) held my arm a funny way during the measurement and I ended up with 133/75, very high for me. My OB commented on it but I pointed out the one I had at the hospital the day before was much lower. My normal is usually somewhere around 110/62 or so. The machines make it slightly higher because they squeeze my arm too hard which makes me tense up right when they are measuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
DH went to my appointment with me yesterday for the first time this pg. I was thinking I might be at the point where I don't want to drive into the big city by myself, but I think I would've been fine. I'm glad he went, though, because we did the birth plan this time and took a drive by the hospital. DH couldn't remember where we had parked last time. Good thing we did the trial run yesterday. He would've dropped me off at the veterans hospital if we'd done it cold on labor day
I told DH we're doing a trial run this Saturday on our way to SF...I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember how to get to the hospital. I think he thinks that giving him directions will be a good focal point for me when I'm in active labor.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#40 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 02:51 PM

I really want to have an appointment! I had to wait a bit longer due to scheduling so it has been 2 1/2 weeks. I go tomorrow morning. Can't wait to add my updates!
#41 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post

Was that taken with a machine or the old-fashioned way? Seems like it's more common these days for them to use the machines, which are pretty variable IMO.
Mine was taken the old fashioned way. I didn't think about the variability factor. I sometimes stop by the machines at the grocery store or drug store just to get a quick check. Maybe I should run by one this afternoon and see what I get. I guess manual readings can vary widely, too, because a few times when I've asked my chiropractor to take my bp, he comes back with some crazy low number like 80/50.

And about navigating while in labor -- yeah, right! Funnily, though, I had a better driving and parking memory from the last time I was in labor than DH did. That never happens, even when I'm trying to pay attention.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#42 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 04:53 PM

Had my 37 week appt. today and everything looks great! I gained a few pounds but was still measuring small (33 cm) but she said that the baby is just carrying that way this time. Since I had an ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and the baby measured perfectly, they're not worried. They finally did my GBS test and I'm really hoping it comes back negative. The PA said that it didn't show up in my urine so hopefully that's a good sign. I had been trying really hard to test negative so hopefully my efforts paid off!
We also went over to the L/D area (using a group of mid-wives at a hospital) and we were VERY happy and pleased. The nurses were super nice and excited we are using the mid-wives and the rooms are nice. Only a couple of them have tubs which stinks but she said they hold onto them for the people who really want them.
The atmosphere was fabulous and I think that it's going to be a great experience. The hospital does everything for the baby in the room so we shouldn't ever have to be separated.
I know a lot of people are birthing at home or in birthing centers but this is what my DH really wanted and I think it's going to be great for us. Good hospital experiences are possible and I really think that I'm going have another good one!!!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#43 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Had my 34 week appt today. Everything looks great and had a fabulous talk with my doctor. We talked about some what-ifs, if I go postdates, if baby flipped breech, etc. and he is totally cool with me going as far past my EDD as I want as long as tests show baby is doing fine, and he said he's probably attended more vaginal breech births than most doctors in the area. Love it! Baby is not breech but it was just a random discussion, it still made me adore him even more. He's also going to fix my herniated bellybutton when he does my tubal. Sweet!
#44 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 PM

I had my 36 week CNM visit today. Did the GBS test and talked about what that would mean. I'll find out the results next week. I'm up 26 lbs total (4 since 34 weeks), b/p was 100/52, uterus is measuring 36.5 cm (I've been right on this time and last), baby's LOA and she said my fluid was great. Since I was half-dressed for the GBS test anyway, I asked to get checked (from 36 weeks on she says she'll check if you want, otherwise skips it). I'm 1+ cm dilated and half thinned and my cervix is really far back.

I'm happy the baby was behaving himself. I feel more and more awkward by the day. We took the hospital tour on Tuesday and it was a great experience, with very helpful nurses who seemed very receptive to my birthing plans. I got to see the birth tubs, birth stool, and ask a million questions.

It's really hitting us that this baby is coming. Eeek.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#45 of 59 Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 PM

Had my 38-week appointment today, blood pressure, urine test, weight, heartbeat all look good. Still measuring small (33 cm) but I have my follow-up ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow, at least I'm making some slow progress.

She checked my cervix, nothing going on yet whatsoever. I'm sure I'll be going late.

#46 of 59 Old 07-16-2010, 12:26 AM

NST Today - blood pressure is still elevated but not higher than before, which I'll take as it means they aren't pushing to induce yet! They did a mini ultrasound and we got to see him doing some practice breathing, then he got the hiccups. It was pretty damn cute. He was very cooperative and moved a lot during the monitoring.

Looks like I'm in for another 24 hour urine test this weekend, super fun.

#47 of 59 Old 07-16-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post
Had my 38-week appointment today, blood pressure, urine test, weight, heartbeat all look good. Still measuring small (33 cm) but I have my follow-up ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow, at least I'm making some slow progress.

She checked my cervix, nothing going on yet whatsoever. I'm sure I'll be going late.
Hey girl, I'm due 8/03 and only measured at 33 cm too. I hope everything is ok with you! My midwife wasn't concerned especially since the sono showed everything was fine a couple of weeks ago. Hope the same is true for you! It's just how we're carrying these babes, they're tucked way in there.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#48 of 59 Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
LZP

sounds like everyone is doing really well, and right where she (and baby) are supposed to be!

Taylah- great results today! not pushing for induction is a victory in my eyes!

somegirl99, i've been wondering about your measuring small- aren't you in like... really great shape? I was wondering if really strong abdominal muscles would just keep baby more snug in there, measuring smaller and maybe make the space less likely to stretch out as quickly/readily for your first? after all, the muscles are conditioned to holding everything IN, not letting it all hang out (the task that my abs generally seem to favor.)

smerkin- so glad your tour went well! i think the most important part is that you and DH are in a place that you feel comfortable in order to have a great birth experience, whether it's in the back of a hippie bus, or in a hospital L+D unit. having your partner feel comfortable is a good thing, so he can focus on what's really important- being a good support to you!

AFM, Had my 36ish week appt today. GBS came back +. UGH. good news: I can refuse the atbx. bad news:they won't re-test. And it makes me feel like a bad mom that i'm even taking that 1 in 1000 chance that if it's present at birth, our baby could get infected. And that 10% of those 1 in 1000 will die. so, i'll discuss with DH and ponder this weekend. So far, my thoughts are that if we have ROM for an extended time before active labor, then we'll consider the atbx. also, i'll have limited checks if ROM occurs before active labor, to reduce the risk of it getting up there, on the assumption that it's still present. we also got forms to refuse the eye ointment, the VitK, and something else... i feel like such a rebel- a documented rebel.

BUT, back to good news: measuring right on, baby is head down, still sort of laying on her side, back to my right, feet to the left, bottom up.
I did get a check today, out of curiosity since I'm a numbers person. seems the ctx last week didnt really do much- just a big fake out. baby is at a +2, cvx is soft, 50% effaced and 1-2cm dialated. still very posterior. half relieved that I at least have a tiny bit more time, since i"m not having any ctx now, and half disappointed. i'm getting really anxious to meet this little person and it seems like these last weeks are going to draaaaag by.

is it normal for baby to drop more as the day goes on, and then maybe move back up overnight if you're sleeping laying flat? bc I swear by the end of the day, it feels like she is about to fall out, but in the morning, her bottom is almost up in my ribs!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#49 of 59 Old 07-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Had my 35 week appointment today. The did the GBS swab. I was + for it earlier in pregnancy, and the dr. had talked about not retesting. I was planning on arguing for a retest today, but I guess he didnt make a note about not re-testing, because they did it. Hoping for a negative this time. Cervix was soft, head was down. That's really the only news.
#50 of 59 Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 PM

I had what I guess was my 36 week appt today (I am 36 weeks on Monday)

My suspicions that baby has dropped were confirmed. She is really low, and head down. In fact the midwife got out the ultrasound machine real quick just to make sure what she was feeling was the head since she was down so low and had trouble feeling it. She said that does NOT necessarily mean baby is coming soon so we will see. Honestly I cannot imagine another 4+ weeks, I am getting so uncomfortable, waddling, everything is taking a tremendous amount of effort, and I just want to sleep all the time - yuck. But the important thing is baby and I are still healthy!

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#51 of 59 Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 PM

I had my 34 week appointment today and I got to meet the back-up midwife. I was very comfortable with her, so yay for backup plans!

Everything looks great; weight, blood pressure, urine, baby movement, measurements, heartbeat.

Home visit with the midwife in 2 weeks!

Live and love with your whole being.
#52 of 59 Old 07-17-2010, 06:05 PM

LZP, sorry about the GBS+ test, and matey, fingers crossed for yours. Would either of you consider doing the hibiclens protocol in place of antibiotics?

smerkin, thanks for the reassurance. I had my ultrasound yesterday. Good news is that heartbeat, blood flow, and fluid all still look great. Bad news is that he is measuring even more behind now, boo. I feel like he is healthy, just on the small side and really squished in there, but I'm worried they might use this as an excuse to push induction or something. We'll see what they say next week. I did also notice (reading the screen backwards with a mirror) that between the tech and the radiologist, they got wildly different results on 4 separate measurements of femur length, anywhere from 15% to 71% (!) Seems like it would be hard to get it accurate if you don't know the angle it is at. He's been doing great on all the NSTs so far which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZP View Post
somegirl99, i've been wondering about your measuring small- aren't you in like... really great shape? I was wondering if really strong abdominal muscles would just keep baby more snug in there, measuring smaller and maybe make the space less likely to stretch out as quickly/readily for your first? after all, the muscles are conditioned to holding everything IN, not letting it all hang out (the task that my abs generally seem to favor.
Well, that's a good question, I've been wondering that too. I've had really strong abs throughout, in fact two of the OBs recently commented on how impressive they were. Baby's growth was right on target until he got big enough to fill up all the space, and I don't think I'm stretching out all that easily. Of course I don't know what's normal, but I feel like everything is super squished inside and it's been that way for several weeks. I thought when he dropped that I would get a break from the rib pain but apparently not, last night he seemed to be using my ribcage as a springboard to push off of with his feet so that he could bounce his head off my bladder.

I don't have any pre-pregnancy pictures of my abs but I started off with a 23" waist, here I am at 10 weeks and I know I had already expanded a bit at that point. 10 weeks side, 10 weeks front

My DH isn't worried, he expects the baby to be small because I'm small, and I would feel the same way except for the doctors making such a fuss about it and ordering all these extra tests.

#53 of 59 Old 07-17-2010, 09:08 PM

Had my 34 week appointment. Gosh, I feel so far behind most of you LOL. Bloodwork for the second week in a row is all good, NST was not great at all but the dr. said she isn't pushing the panic button. I go back next Friday after more bloodwork and ANOTHER NST on Thursday but I don't get to see my regular doctor. I see another one but he is super awesome! My blood pressure is still rising so my doctor added another 250 mg dose of methyldopa. Good news is I still have no signs of pre-e. I am up about 32 lbs at this point.

The BEST news though, is I was supposed to be having my c/s at 37 weeks 2 days but my doctor left on holidays and since I haven't had any signs of pre-e and the baby seems to be tolerating the meds etc., ok, she moved my c/s back almost a week to 38 weeks 1 day! I am really hoping I can go into labor while she is gone in hopes of getting to the hospital and talking the midwife who is catching for her, into letting me VBAC

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#54 of 59 Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Today I have a NST followed by an appointment with the OB & turned in another 24 hour urine test yesterday morning. I just have this odd feeling that they're going to tell me they want to induce. I definitely don't want it yet - I don't think my body is even in the realm of ready but I can't shake the feeling. I'm going to spend the next several hours just positively reinforcing the whole "This baby is coming next week and no earlier" thought I've been clinging to.

#55 of 59 Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM

Good luck with your appt. and NST today, Laurie. I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

If it helps any, I have the same nagging feeling every week before I go for my bloodwork, NST and appt. I am always thinking that they are going to want to move up the section and then I get a huge surprise when they don't.

#56 of 59 Old 07-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Had my 38+ checkup today. Everything looks good. They said there was a trace amount of protein in my urine but it wasn't a big deal at all. Still measuring small, still not much weight gain but oh well. Went over my birthplan with the midwife who saw me and she said none of it was a problem at all. Also I was - for GBS so I don't have to worry about having an IV. Yippie! Declined a cervical exam so don't know if there is any progress yet. Starting to really feel ready so I'm hoping I don't have to wait too long.

#57 of 59 Old 07-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Glad your checkup went well today. I hope this baby comes soon for you

I had my weekly NST yesterday and it turned out great. Wayyyy better than the week before. I have my 35/36 week appointment today at 3:30 (an hour and a half away). I dont think she will have my blood results back as I never went for them until 1 but if there is a problem I am sure she will phone.

#58 of 59 Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Had my 37 week appointment and GBS test today. Everything is fine. Did a cervical check too and I am not dilated at all but 40% effaced and baby is low, at -1 station. I can feel it! Foot/leg swelling is better today, really trying to pay attention to my water intake and put my feet up when possible.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#59 of 59 Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 PM

38 check up with back up provider. Blood pressure was still up at 165/110 (like it has been the last couple visits) so I got a lovely trip over to L and D for labs, non stress test and serial BP checks. An afternoon later... home with orders to rest and put my feet up until baby arrives... BP comes down when resting on my side but headaches and BP goes back up when I am up. Labs are fine though. I was too tired to fight about the GBS test but did mention wanting to do the Hibiclens wash rather than antibiotics if the test returned + due to severe antibiotic allergies and desire to avoid antibiotics in me and baby. Baby is head down but I am just a smidge more than a fingertip dilated. Boo. I know it doesn't mean anything ...but well... I have been dealing with lots of braxton hicks and leg/thigh cramps at night and was sort of hoping for...more Plus...I can feel this baby is big and I just am longing to nurse a new baby again, esp. as I look around the house and see everything set up for his arrival...soon, soon, soon...

Mama to my tribe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page