Mothering Forum banner

Preeclampsia :(

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  rlandnl 
#1 ·
As of 4:15pm today I'm on bed rest due to preeclampsia. My temp started today so I didn't even get her marginally trained to do my job while I'm gone. The baby is doing fine on monitoring and they are hoping that my blood pressure stays in a range that will allow them to wait until the last possible day to induce.

I'll be 37 weeks on Wednesday, the doc wants to wait at least until 38 if at all possible, but says she doubts I'll make it past 39 weeks. I'm going in for twice weekly NST in the clinic, and that's about all they'll let me up to do (besides making a sandwich for myself and going to the bathroom). I do have my last growth ultrasound tomorrow though, and an appointment and cervical check next Monday. (today's check showed me not even in the realm of being ready).

My work baby shower was supposed to be this Thursday and they vetoed me going to that
I'm so disappointed, I was looking forward to it SO MUCH.

See less See more
#7 ·
OMGosh, Taylah. I am so sorry you are going through this. This is what I am terrified of happening as well. I am so glad to hear you and baby are doing ok though. Keep calm, take care of yourself, do what the doctors tell you and everything will be ok. I will be keeping you in my thoughts, hun.

#9 ·
Oh no! So sorry... that is not good news. BTDT, had pre-e with my first. It's scary, so really lay low, don't push it even though you probably don't even feel symptoms... soon you'll have your little one in your arms and this will just be a memory, mama.

#10 ·
OH Taylah!
so sorry to read this.
like all the ladies here have said, take it easy, and thank goodness you're able to take the time to rest, and they've caught it so early. Once your little man is here, this will be a distant memory.

Hopefully, your temp can figure some things out on his/her own. maybe you could do a quick conference call this week.

Can you do a web-cam shower, and have someone- your DH or from work bring the stuff to you? I'm sorry you have to miss it.

#11 ·
It looks like my shower is on hold and will be a "welcome baby" get-together at work sometime after he is old enough to be brought in (September probably). However, my three close girlfriends from work will be coming over Thursday early evening with all the shower gifts so I will actually have the things I need for him! I'm already missing work and everyone there so much it will be a huge comfort to have them come by - but I expect to be emotional. (seriously, I turn into a big cry baby whenever anyone from work calls - hate it!)

My web cam shower with DH's family on the 24th won't be an issue I don't imagine, unless they induce me close before or on that day (I'm still praying for a 39 week baby here, my mom and dad do not arrive from 2,000+ miles away until the evening of the 24th, unless they are able to make other arrangements).

The good thing is - I have the Pack 'n Play for him to sleep in as of Monday thanks to DH's aunt. A coworker gave me 3 G-diaper covers and a bag and a half of inserts. I bought some disposables and the diaper service will kick in as soon as I call them. I have wipes, diaper cream, breast pads, breast cream, nursing bra and jammies. Enough clothes for him to wear until he's toddling (I'm exaggerating, but sometimes it feels that way!).

I do not have a breast pump yet nor any milk storage accouterments, no nursing friendly bottles so DH can help with feedings, no diaper covers for the cloth diapers from the service, no bath stuff - so those will be the things I will have to send DH out for (he is already freaking out about having to buy a breast pump, worried about screwing that up). Maybe nail clippers and little mittens to keep him from scratching himself. I can't think of any other 'immediate' needs but hell this is my first time at the rodeo so I'm sure I'm missing something!

(these are some of the reasons why I am shitty at this bed rest thing - my mind is going 1,000 ways at once trying to think of everything I need and I keep coming up with things that need to be done at work!!!)

#12 ·
It sounds like you have everything that you really NEED for when he's first here.
It's August, so clothes arent a huge issue, but you're covered with that anyway!
you have boobs, so he has food. you have some dipes, so that's good. covers will be good, but you could go coverless for the first day or two if totally necessary, and you also have those disposables. (we're using disposables the first week or two) maybe the diaper service also has covers that you can buy, and they could bring them with the first delivery?

You probably wont need baby "products" like shampoo, etc until later, since in the beginning, just water is recommended.

the pump would be nice, but i think you also have time for that too... so maybe DH could wait till you're up and around, and you can go together...

of course, this is all based on hearsay and internet research knowledge, since I'm a first-timer too! But, you definitely have the basics covered.
place to sleep, food, clothing, shelter, and something to catch the pee and poo.

everything else will fall into place, and don't forget how generous people are when they come to visit a new baby!

#13 ·
Sorry Taylah
but I am glad that they caught it early.
I'm sure it's very difficult being stuck on bed rest, I was threatened with it by one OB and freaked out.
Maybe you can do some of your shopping online, anything you are not sure about your DH picking out for you? It could be a good distraction as well.

Glad to hear your girlfriends will be coming over to visit, should be good for you. Hang in there mama and try to relax.

#15 ·
My shower would have been today. Three of my best friends at work brought over all the gifts that people brought in for me and the baby. (most went in together on group gifts but a couple brought individual stuff.)

We got so much great stuff, including a glider rocker and ottoman that will be delivered next week! My boss and her team got us a audio/video baby monitor (my geeky husband looooves it!). I got a few weeks of diaper service, a baby carrier, a boppy, a whole ton of bath stuff, a handmade quilt and some baby kimonos, a bouncy chair, a bath tub and rubber ducky, a little waterproof diaper bag, some toys, an adorable book. I'm feeling so blessed by my generous coworkers and friends. I can't wait until I get to celebrate with them!

#16 ·
It sounds like you have some wonderful coworkers! That was very sweet of them!

As for the bed rest, take care of yourself and that baby and remember it's just going to be a short time and then you will get to meet your little one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.