Does everyone have names picked already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or am I the only one that can't seem to decide?? This is literally driving me insane.

I felt so strongly that this babe is a girl and I had a girl name all lined up (Zadie Galit). Well, I was wrong and now I need a boy name. This is hard!!

We are Jewish, so we want to give our kids Hebrew names. We lean toward modern Israeli names.

Names I like:
Ori
Idan
Ilan (this was our second choice with DS, so it feels like the back-up to me. DH likes it, though).

I'm leaning toward Ori, but I can't seem to come up with a middle name. Some possibilities:
Gal (our girl middle name was Galit, which I love)
Gilad
Noam
Beckett (why is this here??? ask my pregnancy brain, but it just keeps popping up)

DS's middle name is DH's grandfather's name, and I really love that. None of the other grandfathers' names are working for me this time, though. We have Leo (Hebrew name Tzvi) - I'm not comfortable with this because I had a crazy uncle Leo who creeped me out and SIL just used Tzvi, and we don't get along. We could do Aryeh (lion) but no one here would ever be able to understand DH if he says Ori Aryeh with his accent. Or even just Aryeh. My grandfather's name was Warren, which doesn't speak to me, love him as I do.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

What names have you picked out?

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 AM

I'm not even close to having a name. DH is SOOO picky. I picked both our girls' names and he liked them. With DS I wanted DH to pick the name so I made a list of ALL the boy names I like and it took him the whole pregnancy to finally pick DS's name. Seriously. He picked ds's first name 2 days before ds was born and his middle name like 5 hours before he was born. This time I tried to do the same thing, but no names are really popping out at me like they did with my others. Maybe because this time I really DON'T know if dumplin' is a boy or a girl. I told DH since he didn't like any of the names I'd put on the list this time, that he needed to go through the name book and start making a list. He has yet to touch it...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 AM

Well... I thought so ... but we've actually got a totally different name for him now. This one was shouting while the other was more of a hesitant whisper, I think it's because I like it so much that I thought it would be his name and I REALLY wanted it to fit.
I thought I was set on Ezekiel and we would call him "Zeke". But I can't get Tobias out of my head and I hear "Tobi" in my head through the day. It feels very natural to call him by name when I am taking to him, though we don't share IRL and no one besides dh and I know this wilol likely be his name. Surprisingly dh feels it too and he disagrees with EVERY name I've ever mentioned. So... that's really saying something.
I also have my <3 set on a middle name but dh says no. It doesn't matter though. When it comes down to it, the last say is mine.

To the op~ I love Noam . I would use it in a heartbeat, but dd2 is Naomi, nn "nomi".

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 AM

Hmm, wish I could help, but we are undecided too!
I like Hebrew names too, and kept leaning towards a lot of traditional Hebrew names because I like the way they sound, but haven't convinced DH of anything yet. We just can't seem to agree, or the names we both are ok with I feel like I am just settling for, not really loving... such a difficult decision!!

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 AM

DH finally decided on DDs name about 2 months ago I guess. She will be Sarah Grace, though I am about 80% sure we are adding Ann after Grace, since it's my middle name and my mother's middle name.

Names are so hard to pick out because your child will have it for life.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearsoblessed View Post
Well... I thought so ... but we've actually got a totally different name for him now. This one was shouting while the other was more of a hesitant whisper, I think it's because I like it so much that I thought it would be his name and I REALLY wanted it to fit.
I thought I was set on Ezekiel and we would call him "Zeke". But I can't get Tobias out of my head and I hear "Tobi" in my head through the day. It feels very natural to call him by name when I am taking to him, though we don't share IRL and no one besides dh and I know this wilol likely be his name. Surprisingly dh feels it too and he disagrees with EVERY name I've ever mentioned. So... that's really saying something.
I also have my <3 set on a middle name but dh says no. It doesn't matter though. When it comes down to it, the last say is mine.

To the op~ I love Noam . I would use it in a heartbeat, but dd2 is Naomi, nn "nomi".

I just have to say.. I love Zeke and Tobias. I have two cats and one is named Ezekiel Bartholomew, who we call Zeke, and the other is Tobias. I had my cats years before I met my DH and got pregnant and just loved the names and needed to use them! Anyway, great name picks, whichever you end up with!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 PM

We haven't picked a name and won't until the baby is born. It's the same thing we did with my son. I love a lot of your names though

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 PM

I love Ori Gal !
I got lucky (in so many ways) in that my partner picked out our daughters name a while back. It wasn't on any of my lists but it feels perfect.
I have had the thought that the ultrasound was wrong cross my mind though and in that case we'd be screwed!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM

We have a first name picked- Caleb. We're nowhere near agreeing on a middle name, though.

I'd like to name him after my great-aunt (Mary Ada), and I'd prefer a Hebrew name, but we're having a hard time agreeing on those. So far we're down to

Marvin
Merrick
Mathias
Adan
Adai

I'm totally open to opinions/suggestions

Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 PM

We have a name but, we do need to figure out the spelling we want for it!

Mom to three girls 14, 11, 9, and 1 more Girl on the way 8/8/2010!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 PM

We know the middle name (Louise, for DH's grandmother) but we're still deciding between two first names. We like each of them on their own merits, but there are slight logistical problems with each. We're waiting to meet her before we decide which to go with.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:32 PM

We've decided to wait until the baby's born to make a final decision. We have a list of 12 or so names per gender that we both agree on, so hopefully one of those will feel right. I can't help but think maybe I should look at MORE names, to get more possibilities. This is such an overwhelming, important decision!

Amanda, livin' and lovin' in Memphis w/ Brandon & Eliza (8.15.10)! 6/2009.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallanimal View Post
We've decided to wait until the baby's born to make a final decision. We have a list of 12 or so names per gender that we both agree on, so hopefully one of those will feel right. I can't help but think maybe I should look at MORE names, to get more possibilities. This is such an overwhelming, important decision!
12 names per gender?!?!
Wow. that's awesome to have that many names to love and agree on.

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 PM

Well to be fair, we have a very few strong first name contenders, but the list contains middle names that we can agree on too. Which was hard, my husband was opinionated without being too helpful in the actual compiling of names. He thought suggestions like "Pizza" and "Bazooka" were soooo funny. Yes, honey, haha.

Amanda, livin' and lovin' in Memphis w/ Brandon & Eliza (8.15.10)! 6/2009.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Tobias is a great name. I felt this way with DS (Eyal). I think he was telling me his name.

I also really love Noam, but I don't feel comfortable with it as a first name, as we also have a Nomi (Naomi) and a Noa in the family. As a middle name I think it could work, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMorgan View Post
I love Ori Gal !
I got lucky (in so many ways) in that my partner picked out our daughters name a while back. It wasn't on any of my lists but it feels perfect.
I have had the thought that the ultrasound was wrong cross my mind though and in that case we'd be screwed!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holz View Post
We have a first name picked- Caleb. We're nowhere near agreeing on a middle name, though.

I'd like to name him after my great-aunt (Mary Ada), and I'd prefer a Hebrew name, but we're having a hard time agreeing on those. So far we're down to

Marvin
Merrick
Mathias
Adan
Adai

I'm totally open to opinions/suggestions
I think Mathias and Adai are fantastic. Either would work well with Caleb, too.

Quote:
You AGREE on 12 names per gender? That's fantastic. My list was pretty long to start with, but DH vetoed most of it (without adding his own suggestions, of course).

Quote:
Well to be fair, we have a very few strong first name contenders, but the list contains middle names that we can agree on too. Which was hard, my husband was opinionated without being too helpful in the actual compiling of names. He thought suggestions like "Pizza" and "Bazooka" were soooo funny. Yes, honey, haha.
Do we have the same DH????

Old 07-13-2010, 06:06 PM

I really like Noam. One of my favorite boy names is Gabriel, of course we keep having girls so it may never get used here.

We have resigned ourselves to the fact that we won't be able to pick a name until birth. It was the same with our first two as well. I keep thinking I have "the" name and then the name hunt starts all over again. Now I just have a list and we will see what fits best when the time comes.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
For no good reason Ori Beckett sounds awesome to me.

Our boy pick is Orion Gabriel, very probably to be called Ori as well.
Uhm... no clue for girl names.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM

I LOVE Ilan - I just randomly ran into someone from university days (on the opposite side of the country) and she named her son Ilan. I had never heard it beofre - I liked it a lot. I like Noam or Gilad as a middle name to go with it.

We have a boy's name - Cael Malachi, but no girl's name. I would like the middle name to be Victoria if it's a girl, since it's my mom's name and both DH and I have names that mean something victorious.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 AM

Not even close. I have a list a couple pages long and I've been going through it. I think dh is waiting for me to narrow it down some and we'll pick after she's here.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 AM

Thinking about how great Ori Gal and Ilan Noam sound.
Typically I wouldn't choose a first name that ended with the consanant that begins the mn but I LOVE how Ilan Noam sounds. Both flow so beautifully.
I think any combination of the names you've chosen are great. I love every one .

and thanks to all for the kind words on Baby Boy's name!!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 PM

Our little guy's name has been picked out for quite some time now, I am still fairly floored that it started as a name DH jokingly threw out (a favorite character on a TV show) and we both ended up not being able to stop thinking about it!

I really love Ori Gilad for some reason. And second Mamabear's Ilan Noam - it does flow beautifully.

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
Old 07-14-2010, 02:10 PM

yes and no.

It's extremely likely that the baby will be named Hayden just because we've had that name picked out for 10 years and dh is attached to it.

I'm not feeling it though. We have other backup names (Jack and Jude) but I'm not feeling those either.

Unless we strongly feel a name matches the baby at the birth, he will likely be Hayden by default.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:14 PM

We haven't settled on a name either, and my DH is another of those jokesters.

The oddest suggestion he made was "Help I'm trapped in a driver's license factory" which he says will all come together when he actually gets his license at 16.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 07-15-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
I was meant to be a Toby if I'd been a boy!

I have two I love, and on different days I like one better than the other! DH is not help, so I'm just laying low until he's born to see if he looks like one name or the other. Today the front runner is Quinn, followed by Connor, and the middle name is Ryan (my grandmother's maiden name).

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
For no good reason Ori Beckett sounds awesome to me.

Our boy pick is Orion Gabriel, very probably to be called Ori as well.
Uhm... no clue for girl names.
I do like Ori Beckett a lot, but part of me feels that Beckett is a bit out of place. It just keeps popping into my head though.

Quote:
Thinking about how great Ori Gal and Ilan Noam sound.
Typically I wouldn't choose a first name that ended with the consanant that begins the mn but I LOVE how Ilan Noam sounds. Both flow so beautifully.
I think any combination of the names you've chosen are great. I love every one .

and thanks to all for the kind words on Baby Boy's name!!
I think Ilan Noam is really nice, I just can't get over the feeling that Ilan is DS1's backup name. Like it somehow wouldn't be fair to DS2. Am I totally crazy for thinking like that? DH thinks I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylah View Post
Our little guy's name has been picked out for quite some time now, I am still fairly floored that it started as a name DH jokingly threw out (a favorite character on a TV show) and we both ended up not being able to stop thinking about it!

I really love Ori Gilad for some reason. And second Mamabear's Ilan Noam - it does flow beautifully.
Now I really want to know what the name is! Will you share after the baby is born?

I think I'm down to Ori for a first (though someone told me that people would always ask him what it's short for). But I am torn between Beckett, Gal and Gilad for a middle. Our last name is one syllable, so I'm thinking that a two-syllable middle name would sound best. That's what we did with DS1 (Eyal Henrik).

I thought I was over the pregnancy obsessiveness with this one, but apparently it's just rearing it's head late in the game. All day today I've been obsessing about names and a mattress for the co-sleeper.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:45 PM

Our first name is decided, but we are having SO much trouble with a middle name, which is super important to us since we call our kids by the first and middle name on an everyday basis. We have a few options, but none both of us are in love with. I think its going to come down to meeting her and seeing what fits. Of course we will probably walk out with her named something totally different that we decided on at the last minute. Thats what happened with DD2!

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM

we are down to 3 contenders per gender (boy: kaleb, isaac, joshua. girl: kaela, naomi, elaina). as for middle names... i have no clue. i have a list of possibles, but may end up with something totally different. can't even remember what the middle names are right now.

ot question- do you have to name your kid before you leave the hospital? my other two were born at home, so we had like 2 weeks before we went and did the birth certificate.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 AM

I'm happy to share online - my whole family knows, as do my work friends I think the only place I haven't announced it is Facebook.

We're naming him Ronan Robert (the character was Ronon Dex from Stargate: Atlantis).

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
Old 07-16-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylah View Post

We're naming him Ronan Robert (the character was Ronon Dex from Stargate: Atlantis).
Hehe! My partner picked our baby's name - Leela - like Leela from Futurama! lol! I love it though!

User Tag List