activity level - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are you all doing as far as being active at this point? Is physical activity starting to take its toll, are you as active as you've been all along, or is it something you've already given up on?

I'm starting to wonder how much is too much honestly. I take DS for some kind of outdoor activity every day (playground, pool, splash pad) and spend an hour or two chasing him around there. Then I come home and do some sort of housework (be it laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, etc). Not to mention the normal picking up that never seems to end. Lately I've been feeling stressed and kind of touched out (DS wants to be held and carried even more the farther along I get) so I've been leaving the house around 8pm and just wandering around Target or some other store for about 30-45 minutes. It's the only way I've been able to get some time alone without DS or DH asking me for one thing or another.

The problem is that at the end of the day I'm starting to be extremely sore all over and swollen in my hands and from the knees down. I think it may be time for me to cut back somewhere.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#2 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 03:45 PM

I've had to cut back. I had been going to the YMCA 2-3 times a week and doing yoga 1 time per week. I didn't go to the Y last week doue to ds being under the weather, but also because I just dont have the energy. My hands and feet are swelling a lot and becoming very sore too. I took a few short walks last week, but it gets really uncomfortable.

Basically, it seems that at this point, every "activity" needs a rest period to follow it. This morning I ran some alone errands, which seems simple, but the heat and in/out of stores was exhausting. So, I came home, made lunch, and then sat down for an hour. We are going to a family movie this afternoon, which will be great fun, but I know sitting upright is going to be uncomfortable and will make my feet sell right up. I will have to come home and put my feet up.

I feel incredibly lazy, but i figure this is just how it has to be right now. Last weekend I did my final BIG activity, which was painting my bedroom. It was a little too much, and left be so sore at the end of the day that I could barely get to the bathroom. I am done over doing it or semi-overdoing it. I am just going to take it easy and make sure I am getting adequate rest/water from here on out.
#3 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Yeah, I'm having to cut back too. I had already cut back to only exercising (walking 3-4 miles or swimming laps) twice a week, but this past week, the heat & humidity has just made even that exertion too much. Now, I'm just trying to keep up with the basics and rest pretty often throughout the day.

I have one more sewing project I have to finish up (for someone else) then I'm going th etotally lazy route, too!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#4 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm just starting to have to really cut back more. I've found if I overdo I just end up swollen with a bad headache. Maybe get in an epsom salt bath instead of heading to Target...not much you can do for DH or DS from there. Talk to your DH about it and let him know you really need that time for your and the baby's health.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 04:32 PM

I've had to cut back, I still take the dogs on short easy walks twice a day, but if I do too much more on top of that (lots of errands and/or housework) I end up exhausted and stressed out.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#6 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 07:22 PM

I'm with all of you. If I try doing what used to be normal, it wipes me out. I'm trying to figure out how to balance everything.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#7 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 08:07 PM

Walking a few steps is too much activity. My pelvis is ready to explode.
#8 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
Ditto, I hate to think how I'll get through labour at this point.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#9 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
Yeah.. my pelvis feels like it is being split in half currently. Right now I just want to lay down until this baby comes... hahhaha.
#10 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 PM

I teach yoga at a fitness facility & we had a woman come in from some national health & excersize foundation. She said the national guidlines for pregnant women is for every one hour of physical activity, it needs to be followed by one hour of rest/sleep. I think of all the things I'm trying to get done and realize I'll rest when I'm dead, haha. Today I rode my bike into town, had breakfast, rode back, mowed the lawn patch, sprayed down the patio and cleaned up all the cobwebs, etc around the front door. I washed and folded 4 loads of laundry, made up the guest bed for company next sunday, picked up all the dog poo, repotted some plants, and the list goes on. My back is now starting to give out, I'm sitting down and listening to Prairie Home Companion, list be damned! I guess I'm feeling guilty that D is still working so I can stay home. So if he's working I should be too. THe boys will be back on the 27th from camp/grandparents, so I keep telling myself I should just chill out until then.

I have stopped yoga and water classes a few months ago. I chalk it up to her being against my back and on my S. nerve.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#11 of 27 Old 07-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Honey, I have to lie down after I shower/get dressed/put on makeup.

I spend at least 1/4 of my day in bed, reading or watching television. It's a bummer but I keep telling myself that I have a lifetime ahead of me to exercise and be active.

I'm looking forward to next summer when I can do all of the things I like to do but for now, I'm just chillin'.

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#12 of 27 Old 07-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Another worn out mama here. I was riding my bike until a couple of weeks ago and then stopped because I would get more BH on days I did it. It is HOT here which doesn't help. I do get nesting frenzies going but i really have to tell myself to slow down because I feel like crap if I do too much. I remember pre-pregnancy I would get up and run a few miles on the trails, work a full day, come home cook, clean and play with DD1. Now I can barely work a full day let alone anything else.

ETA: Everyone also keeps telling me how tired I look. I certainly feel tired but do people really need to remind me of how I terrible I look?

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#13 of 27 Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COgirl19 View Post
Another worn out mama here. I was riding my bike until a couple of weeks ago and then stopped because I would get more BH on days I did it.
Another biking mama here. It's felt more comfortable to bike than walk quickly for months because of some hip issues I've had, but I tried to bike pulling both kids 6 miles last week and I almost stopped and sat on the curb. I was soooo tired. I can probably still bike half-decently without the trail-a-bike/trailer but my belly's starting to be in the way of my legs. It was non-stop BH and I started worrying I'd really messed up my uterus. I'm sticking to much-shorter rides w/o kids now. It's just frustrating feeling like I can't go anywhere without driving, which also is uncomfortable.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#14 of 27 Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom View Post
I teach yoga at a fitness facility & we had a woman come in from some national health & excersize foundation. She said the national guidlines for pregnant women is for every one hour of physical activity, it needs to be followed by one hour of rest/sleep. I think of all the things I'm trying to get done and realize I'll rest when I'm dead, haha. Today I rode my bike into town, had breakfast, rode back, mowed the lawn patch, sprayed down the patio and cleaned up all the cobwebs, etc around the front door. I washed and folded 4 loads of laundry, made up the guest bed for company next sunday, picked up all the dog poo, repotted some plants, and the list goes on. My back is now starting to give out, I'm sitting down and listening to Prairie Home Companion, list be damned! I guess I'm feeling guilty that D is still working so I can stay home. So if he's working I should be too. THe boys will be back on the 27th from camp/grandparents, so I keep telling myself I should just chill out until then.

I have stopped yoga and water classes a few months ago. I chalk it up to her being against my back and on my S. nerve.
HOLY MOLY! That's a lot. I would definitely relax before the boys get home. Don't worry about your DH working...I think mom's under estimate how much they actually do. I think with all I am doing I put in a 13-15 hour work day..That includes taking care of my DH.

Take heart ladies we have more excuse to be exhausted and swollen..they call it the lazy days of summer for a reason. The heat slows a person down and we have added baggage to help the heat along. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it...literally

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#15 of 27 Old 07-18-2010, 07:27 AM

I've totally cut back. I'm glad it's winter here because even though it's Idon't feel like the kids are missing out on beach/park/pool time. They are watching a LOT of DVDs. Which I'm not thrilled about, but keeping the two year old in line and making sure everyone is fed is about all I can manage.

Actually, two days ago we went for a walk. It was a great achievement!

Annie '02, Juliet '04, Natalie '07, Maggie '08, Theodore 11/8/10.
#16 of 27 Old 07-18-2010, 11:09 AM

amyrobin and cogirl~ I ride an upright cruiser bike into town along a gated golf community road right now instead of the trail outside it. The residents give me dirty looks when I go around their fence, but when they see the belly they stop from saying anything.

Today I will go to the store for the birth supplies, and teach a class today at 4:30. That's the extent after the list yesterday. I have a quilt for babe I need to work on. I get these bursts of energy some days where I feel like I can do anything, by 6pm yesterday my hips and back where yelling at me. This morning I woke up at 6:30am with sore hips, my body telling me to slow down.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#17 of 27 Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm 38 weeks and I have some days where I can't walk 100 ft without seizing up into a gigantic BH contraction, and then I have days like yesterday and today when I'm weeding the garden, vacuuming, cleaning windows and baseboards and clearing out clutter for hours. DD stayed at my parents' house last night, so I'm really trying to get stuff done this morning. I always pay for these types of days later on with back cramps and an achy pelvis and severely swollen knees, but I can't stop myself. Nesting has become a weekend obsession in the last few months. Too bad I keep repeating the same activities as my hard work gets undone.

I work full time during the week at a desk job and so I'm able to rest a lot more than a SAHM. I'd either be in much better shape or a broken down mess if I were home every day with my high energy DD and all of these household projects staring me in the face.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#18 of 27 Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM

i've definitely been overdoing it to the point of back pain and exhaustion. i've been trying to take breaks after doing pretty much anything. cleanup after breakfast sometimes gets a break in the middle. i'm such a stubborn and active person it's hard for me to slow down but i know i need to. i'm still doing yoga a few times a week,that seems to help. i want to start back up with water aerobics but i've been sleeping through the class time and sleep seems to win over activity lately. i keep hearing the more you rest now the easier your labor is--so that puts any guilty feelings of being lazy away for me. but i definitely am frustrated that i'm not as productive as i know i "should" be.

DD: 8/10

#19 of 27 Old 07-20-2010, 02:10 PM

i'm glad to know i'm not the only one. i had been staying busy and then the past two weeks have been extra busy. out of town followed by houseguests, a few days to recoup and get ready because the inlaws came to stay a couple days followed by the kids party. that was saturday, ever since i have been grouchy and tired. going to bed at 8pm. i hate being so grouchy with dh and the kids. and this is with taking rescue remedy, i was worse before i found it. i think it was just all too much, even since saturday i've been pretty busy cleaning up the party mess and catching up on laundry and nesting (baby's dresser is cleaned and loaded with clothes and diapers!).

so i just need to plan on slowing down now. going grocery shopping this morning (if i get off the computer! ) and then i plan to rest all afternoon.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#20 of 27 Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 PM

I have to go to a work meeting from 12-3 today. It's a mandatory meeting for all the yoga teachers to share our favorite vinyasa flows, etc.. I had horrible hip, pelvic, and thigh pain last night. I'm totally exhausted mentally and physically, and I don't feel very peace, love, namaste right now. D said I should stay home, but I'm hoping that just being around other's positive energy will make me feel better? I know I have a habit of pushing myself because I can. I don't need to be putting myself in 1 leg crow and probably couldn't if I tried! Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself that I can't do these things right now.

#21 of 27 Old 07-20-2010, 03:47 PM

I'm so tired and wore out today. All I did was go to 2 stores. I actually drove around for a bit because I couldnt get enough energy to get out of the car. I feel like total crap.
#22 of 27 Old 07-20-2010, 05:12 PM

After two days of thinking I might be in early labor, I have completely given up on exercise. I'm not even in a nesting mood anymore, and I have been pretty much nesting since the beginning of the 2nd tri. The only thing I can imagine getting me back in gear is a serious desire to jumpstart labor, but since I'm not yet even 39 weeks, I'm not there, yet. I'm in deep resting mode.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#23 of 27 Old 07-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Yep, I'm in resting mode too. I too was beginning to worry about my activity level, lack of that is... I have to work at keeping my iron levels up. I was also trying not to worry about how I was going to handle labor, with my lack of energy, how am I going to labor? Thank goodness for hormones, right? And thank goodness for the internet, it helps to keep me resting (I too overdo things!) and entertained. I've been utilizing the time to organize photo's and make playlists for birth.

So, I've been resting a lot with occasional bursts of energy every few days or so. Like yesterday, my MW did a home visit that motivated me to clean my house, so today is now a resting day. Maybe. I just read that floating in a pool with belly pointing downward will help turn a posterior baby. So I am trying to mentally gear up for swimming/floating in the pool today, that'll take some effort. Even just showering, I fight the urge to do it sitting!

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#24 of 27 Old 07-20-2010, 06:12 PM

My friend was just over and she asked if I was going to have the baby this week. I said "No way. I dont have the energy to do it this week."
#25 of 27 Old 07-20-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageMom6 View Post
Honey, I have to lie down after I shower/get dressed/put on makeup.
This made me seriously laugh out loud.

OP, is there a place you can take your son where you dont have to be so hands on and he will give you some space? Like a pool with a tiny kiddie pool or splash pad? Our local pool has a great kiddie pool and I am spending hours and hours there because the kids dont need hands on supervision, nor do they need me to "come push me/ hold me/ look at me/ feed me/ carry me/ meet my every whim immediately Mooommmmmmyyyyyy!!!!". I think the lifeguards are starting to worry I am planning to actually birth there.

Otherwise, yeah dont feel bad. Any major store walking is a big waddlefest of contractions and swelling for me as well.

As a DDC, lets make a pact to just not do it and say we did.

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#26 of 27 Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
As a DDC, lets make a pact to just not do it and say we did.
:yawning

I haven't even hit nesting and I am 35 weeks...where's my energy? I think I went so overboard the first two trimesters what with fixing our flooded house, moving, selling my house...(still on the market), DH's graduation, homeschooling, preparing to move to Japan, and DH being gone on Army business..Oh yeah, my wonderful GD diagnosis and the fact that, starting this morning, it feels like all my insides are going to fall out. I vote for hibernation of self and family until this little guy decides to come out.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#27 of 27 Old 07-21-2010, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yes we have access to the Army post where there is a kiddie pool and splash pad. We've been to both a few times and enjoyed ourselves. It's just tough because he's still so young (19 months) and does actually need my help or direction more often than not, there's not much sitting on the sidelines and reading or resting quite yet.
However...I think I'm saved because my grandparents arrived here tonight! Woo hoo! So at least when we do go on our outings I'll have another pair of hands or two to help me keep sane, especially because I feel like I may be pregnant for another 2 weeks easily.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page