Prodromal labor commiseration thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 171 Old 07-19-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, it's starting to happen to lots of us: cramps, contractions, loose stools, then nada! It's happening to me this morning.

So I thought me might like to have a place where we can share the "is it or is not?!"s.

We have one in the July thread that gets lots of action.

Here's my prodromal (probably) for the day: I finally got an EPO tablet to stay in place vaginally last night because I waited until after my midnight trip to the bathroom. This morning while exerting some pressure on the toilet (don't you love my discretion?) I noticed some orange-ish mucus. Bloody show? Mucus plug? EPO oil? I don't know! But then I started having some cramps and loose bowels and the nausea I had last night came back, so I stayed home for a few hours from work, had two weak BH contrax, and then had DH drive me in. Sigh... so it begins in earnest. Will it be 2 days, a week, 2 weeks? Who knows. I'm still crampy, but that doesn't mean much.

How about you? What symptoms are driving you mad?

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#2 of 171 Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 PM

Hi! I haven't been posting in the DDC...but hopefully this isn't too late to join.

I'm sitting at 36+1 today. I had a bout last week of loose stool and contractions for a few days. Luckily it cooled down, but it picked back up this weekend. My hubby being home on the weekends seems to get things moving. So naturally, I spent this weekend with contractions, cramps, saw some mucous plug, and my back is sooooo achy. Of course everyone is saying they think I will have the baby early, but I know very well that this can go on for weeks! Just shhhh people! lol

I had none of these early contractions with DS!
#3 of 171 Old 07-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Ironically, yes, I'm in this boat!

I went to 43 +1 weeks with DD, without even a hint of labour. Never felt any contractions, no BH, no cramps, no losing mucus plug - nothing. And it drove me crazy, because I was starting to wonder if my uterus really worked at all, LOL. Especially when I was checked the day before I went into labour and was told that my cervix was still high and closed....

This time, I wanted to make sure that I had a good shot at a natural birth without too much pressure (last time I resisted, but it caused me a huge amount of stress) so I 'fudged' my dates a bit. According to official records I am now 36 w 4 days, but according to my own count I'm 37 w 4 d. It'd be kind of ironic if I went into labour now and they didn't want to 'let' me have a homebirth because I'd changed the dates so they wouldn't kick up a fuss at the other end of 'term'!!

Also, I'm completely not ready for this baby yet! Ordered the birth pool today, but it won't be here for at least a few more days. Have loads of stuff still to do - things to buy/get, house to clean and tidy, distance learning course to try to finish, Hypnobabies to finish too... I was so sure that this baby would be at least as late as DD that I kind of counted on all that extra time a bit too much!!

But of course, this could still go on for weeks anyway. Oh, the fun!! Yesterday I was getting a lot of BH, combined with some pretty nasty back pain and crampiness. Poor DH was starting to get worried, because I was wandering around, breathing deeply, getting into funny positions, putting hot packs on my back and demanding that he dig his fists into my back as hard as possible. But it all eased off eventually, though baby was super active all last night - I think it was triggered off by baby trying to move / get into a different position. Hopefully a good one!!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#4 of 171 Old 07-19-2010, 02:31 PM

I know I'm not in labor yet, but I can feel my body preparing. Symptoms that are ramping up (several are TMI!):

- more BH contrax, and now I sometimes get pain with them, instead of painless like before

- baby seems to have dropped, and also her butt is now more in the middle of my belly, legs crowded on the left, instead of butt on right, legs stretched out (right side of belly is flatter now). I think she is really engaged.

- mucus in panties about 50% of the time -- blehh!

- on and off loose stools, about 50% of the time

- weird stretchy feelings when I sit on toilet, kind of like when elastic that is being pulled to capacity suddenly gets overextended and loosens up.

I think it could still be several weeks, as I'm only 35 weeks, 4 days... but my last dd was born at 36 weeks, 5 days when my water broke. I'll be glad to get to 37 weeks, then I won't resist!

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#5 of 171 Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 PM

I posted earlier, but count me in...

I am with AutumnAir, with DS at 42 weeks I was not even effaced or dilated. With this labor, I just wanted to go into labor on my own! But this is irritating.

I just lay down with DS for his nap and timed my contractions. They were 8 minutes apart for an hour. But now more sporadic, and the same intensity they were 20 hours ago. I think my mucus plug is completely gone, I lost it all this weekend.

I don't want to do this for the next 4 weeks!

Thanks for letting me whine.
#6 of 171 Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 PM

Count me in as well. I'm 35 weeks today and the prodromal labor started kicking in last week. I'm fully expecting to go at least another 3 weeks. DS was born at 38+6 after 5 weeks of prodromal labor that was much more intense than with this baby, so I'm definitely familiar with "maybe, but most likely not".

I'm way crampy and passing big globs of mucous (but no bloody show yet). Also dilated to 1.5cm and about 25% effaced. She's engaged but not deeply, she still randomly pops up higher and the colon cleanse has been in full force for a few days now (which is weird because it never happened with DS). I also feel like I've hit the brick wall of exhaustion.

Oh well...I just keep reminding myself that it's work that won't have to be done when I'm in active labor
#7 of 171 Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 PM

I've been having BH for weeks and have been dilated just as long. The past week, though, the BH have taken on some intensity and pattern. I've also had a few menstrual cramp like contractions the past couple of days. Everything feels swollen and stretch out down bellow. It basically feels like babies head is bulging out. I just had a midwife appointment today and he is definitely engaged and super low. I've been checking my own cervix and my estimate is that I'm about 4-5cm dilated (even thought that sounds absolutely insane, my midwives assure me it's entirely possible). So, I don't know. I've had a crazy week and finally have my birth pool here and everything is pretty much ready to go. I'm really hoping this baby comes soonish because I'm pretty miserable at this point. I'm 37 weeks according to ovulation (estimate) and 38 weeks according to LMP. My midwife seems to think I'm pretty ripe. Prodomal labor is no fun, but in my case, it's been doing a damn good job getting baby low and getting my cervix ready. I could go to 40+ weeks, but I'm willing to bet I won't and I'm also willing to be this labor will go pretty fast.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#8 of 171 Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 PM

I sincerely wish I was in the prodromal labor boat. I never had any sign of anything with DD and I was induced at 39w some odd days. I was only 1 cm dilated.

I have until 38 weeks 1 day to go into labor on my own before I have a c/s. If I go into labor between now and then I am going to stay at home until its too late LOL.

Well actually, this baby can't come until 36w2d because that is when they will deliver at this hospital. If it comes between now and next Tuesday (which I HIGHLY doubt), I'd be delivering two hours away.

I know its sad to say, but I have been overdoing it on some things trying to get things at least a little bit moving. No success. Some crampiness in the evening a bit for about an hour and thats it. I may ask DH to try and check my cervix tonight. Not that he'll really know what he's looking for but meh.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#9 of 171 Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 AM

Hahahaha! Yes I definitely belong here. 38+2 today and I've been having prodromal labor every night for about a week and a half, maybe 2 weeks now. However even though the same thing happened for 3 weeks with DS I have totally been in denial about it, telling myself it's just BH and nothing to get excited about.

Fast forward to my trip to L&D tonight (I fell, midwife & I decided I should go get an NST at least) - I'm 4cm and 80%. And I know good and well that this is where I will stay for another few days at least, if not a week or more. OB at the hospital wanted to admit and induce me just for fun I guess...um, no thanks, ironically I am still not mentally prepared for a baby!

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#10 of 171 Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 AM

Started my prodromal fun today!

I have been having regular contractions 6-7 minutes apart for about six hours now. They haven't really intensified or gotten shorter yet, so I'm just sitting here stuffing my face for now. It started around lunch time today, so when I got home I drank a huge glass of water, rested, then went for a 20 minute walk.

We'll see what happens.

36 w 4 d

Nicole, wife to Sean, mother to Afton Reanne Evangeline, a natural birth at a hospital 8/17/2010 8lbs 9 oz 21 inches long.
#11 of 171 Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM

I'd like to take back what I wrote last night

Yesterday evening after writing that post, the cramps started.....only they haven't stopped!!!! I slept like total crap last night. Everytime I woke up I was crampy. I don't honestly think it was the cramps waking me up, just that I was noticing them while I was awake. I don't think it will progress into anything anytime soon but its still exciting. Absolutely no pattern to them and half the time I think I am just crampy and no BH. My lower back, hips and upper thighs are sore feeling today as well. I am still crampy off and on this morning.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#12 of 171 Old 07-20-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimestersdoula View Post
I'd like to take back what I wrote last night

Yesterday evening after writing that post, the cramps started.....only they haven't stopped!!!! I slept like total crap last night. Everytime I woke up I was crampy. I don't honestly think it was the cramps waking me up, just that I was noticing them while I was awake. I don't think it will progress into anything anytime soon but its still exciting. Absolutely no pattern to them and half the time I think I am just crampy and no BH. My lower back, hips and upper thighs are sore feeling today as well. I am still crampy off and on this morning.
Are we living in the same body? This is exactly what I came here to talk about. I woke up at least once an hour last night with achy hips and back cramps. It's the first time my sleep has been disturbed by crampiness. I wouldn't exactly call them contractions because my belly wasn't tightening, but something different was going on. Baby descending, maybe? Today I am so :yawning.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#13 of 171 Old 07-20-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorona View Post

Fast forward to my trip to L&D tonight (I fell, midwife & I decided I should go get an NST at least) - I'm 4cm and 80%. And I know good and well that this is where I will stay for another few days at least, if not a week or more. OB at the hospital wanted to admit and induce me just for fun I guess...um, no thanks, ironically I am still not mentally prepared for a baby!
That sounds like a lot of progress! Good for you for fighting off induction. At 38 weeks? That's just crazy talk. I'll bet your labor will be fast once you get going.

#14 of 171 Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 AM

TONS of lower back pain here the last 3 days, like, can't bend over, can't walk, can't sit achy, lower back pain. BH are somewhat intense and come...a lot...so I make sure to walk around so they become even more intense. LOL I'm also nursing my son as much as possible since that triggers contractions as well. I am so ready for this baby, I'll wait as long as he needs to bake for but I am anxious!

Carrie - Christian, tandem nursing, knittin' mommy to my two little intact, cloth diapered, vax free boys CJ 4-4-08 and squishy Camden born at home 8-3-10!
#15 of 171 Old 07-20-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
Are we living in the same body? This is exactly what I came here to talk about. I woke up at least once an hour last night with achy hips and back cramps. It's the first time my sleep has been disturbed by crampiness. I wouldn't exactly call them contractions because my belly wasn't tightening, but something different was going on. Baby descending, maybe? Today I am so :yawning.
Yay!! We can be prodromal labor twins LOL. I really hope it turns into something. I am having some cramps as I type this. I wouldn't be able to time them though. They come and go so sporadically and are not anything I can put a start and stop on but I am still soooo freaking excited by them LOL.

#16 of 171 Old 07-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Ok, what the heck? I guess I should mention that I took a little fall down the front steps again last night. I caught myself very well and never landed hard at all. Now I don't know if the achy upper thighs are from that or from something else. Grrrr. I am still have cramps off and on though and those seem to be getting worse. No more frequent, just a but more painful.

#17 of 171 Old 07-21-2010, 04:46 AM

Not sure what prodomal labor means- this is my first time! Baby dropped 4 days ago at 37 weeks and have been having serious BH since. LOTS of cramping. I'm actually up at 3:30am b/c cramping and backache...and hunger Haven't lost my mucus plug yet and don't have much mucus at all, but I just started taking some evening primrose. Let's get this party started!
#18 of 171 Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Trimestersdoula, stop trying to jiggle that baby out. I know you're anxious, but that's not playing fair. Seriously, I hope you're ok!

Sara-- prodromal labor is pre-labor stuff. It's your body getting ready for the real thing and sometimes it feels real. Very frustrating.

AFM-- I told myself I couldn't have a baby today or tomorrow, and my body seems to have listened. Suddenly all of my symptoms are gone. I'll have to talk myself back into them on Friday.

#19 of 171 Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks Amy LOL I figured maybe he'd like a little jiggle haha!!

So not much going on here anymore. Things stopped just before lunch yesterday. I got an email from someone who was supposed to be a friend. Long story short, she's no longer my friend and thats ok, but it did stress me out. After I read it I noticed everything had stopped. No more BH, no more cramps, no more sore thighs (apparently they aren't sore from the fall).

I had some BH last night but they were super short lived and I wasn't really crampy. Oh well, maybe this baby KNOWS he has to wait until Sunday

#20 of 171 Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Well, I'm officially 'okay' with this baby coming anytime he wants at this point, so DP and I resumed 'adult time'. We'd been holding back because I had so much going on last week and we just didn't want to risk me going into labor with all of my symptoms going on. But now we're in the clear so we DTD last night. I had a pretty restless night's sleep because I was contracting quite regularly all night. They were sort of BH in nature but more intense than any others I've felt up until this point and definitely more crampy feeling. In fact, some were just down right painful. I even kind of moaned through a couple. I also had a dream last night that today I woke up and the baby started crowning with very little warning. I was yelling at DP to get a chux pad and he was like, "What the heck is a chux pad?" In the dream, I felt the babies head and it was full of dark hair. The dream never finished really, and the baby was never actually born, which is quite fitting because upon waking up this morning my contractions are pretty much gone. I'm still feeling a bit crampy and having some BH but I even walked around Target this morning and I've not experienced anything as strong as I did last night. Oh well, I got my liner for the birth tub so I'm seriously, officially ready to go. I picked up some EPO and I'm going to eat a whole pineapple tonight and then DTD again and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#21 of 171 Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 PM

I'm ready for baby to come!!

Last night I had fairly regular BH contractions (like 5 in an hour). Unfortunately, they didn't hurt and didn't mess with my back so I KNOW that they weren't real contractions, but they did take my breath away! It feels like they constrict my lung capacity when my uterus gets hard.

So DH and I have been walking nightly (with our who is loving it)... he's such a good sport, I made him walk twice as long as we usually do with the doggy. Then I made him help me as I squatted for awhile to encourage the baby down farther! That's what started all my BH! And then they kept me up forever so I couldn't sleep... guess they get the last laugh?

About to go to Target to pick up a nursing bra or tank so that I can actually pack the hospital bag... and hoping that more walking will do SOMETHING!

Other symptoms: menstrual type cramping, shooting pains in cervix, sore thighs, sore pelvic bone, and weird discharge. TMI: When I went fishing up there last night, came out with little white specks???

DH says its too weird to have sex when the baby's head is right there. Hoping to convince him otherwise tonight.
#22 of 171 Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 PM

Yesterday/last night was a total let down! My grandparents arrived around dinner time (they're here to care for DS, yay). We went out to eat and as soon as we were done I got in the car and started cramping, and cramping hard. I told DH I couldn't drive so we had to switch out. Things petered off within 2 hours though and I had hardly anything at all for the rest of the night. Today has been really uneventful too. It's so ironic - the whole time I've been begging this baby to wait until the 20th, and now that I want him to come he's playing with me.

#23 of 171 Old 07-21-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
It's so ironic - the whole time I've been begging this baby to wait until the 20th, and now that I want him to come he's playing with me.
THIS is my life too!! I have been on "trying to keep the baby in until 36 weeks" duty the whole pregnancy...I hit 36 weeks and it all stops!! Nothing for 2 straight weeks!!

NOW I am 38 weeks and I had the first bit of false labor twice yesterday. We'll see what happens today. Probably nothing, but as of yesterday the BH are back with full force....At least I am welcoming them now

Christian helpmeet, homeschooling, homebirthing, homesteading wife, happily raising our family completely naturally. Mother to 5 children, 1 angel and new baby due in August!
#24 of 171 Old 07-21-2010, 04:34 PM

My prodromal stuff has been off & on for two weeks now. Mostly, it hasn't been too intense, just a couple days here & there of crampyness and extra contractions/dishcarge etc, then it will peter out and stop for a few days before starting up again. I'll be 36w on Friday and my mw and I are both ok with hb from then on so I feel pretty good with where I'm at. I don't expect baby to come before 38 weeks, though. Just a hunch.... or maybe I just need that time to get the rest of my stuff and my head together

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#25 of 171 Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 AM

So I think I had some contractions throughout the night last night. I say 'think' because I was awake so many freaking times last night I am not sure if I was actually awake or was just dreaming them!!! I did have a dream last night that I remember and it didn't involve contractions LOL. In my dream, the doctor checked me and said that the majority of my mucous plug was just 'hanging there'. Then when I woke up from the dream I went to the bathroom and felt something plop into the toilet. Unfortunately we don't flush at night and I had already been to the bathroom 3 or so times so there was tp in there. I couldn't see in the dim light, through my foggy eyes and all the tp if I actually lost my mucous plug (or part of it), or not Im thinking I probably did lose part of it. The last time I had a dream about something coming out of my vagina, I dreamed that I was bleeding. Woke up, went to the bathroom and was actually bleeding (this was sometime in the first trimester).

Needless to say it was a wierd night!!

#26 of 171 Old 07-22-2010, 05:21 PM

I just feel like crying today. Ever since I went to L&D after my fall things have really changed and now I seriously doubt I will have this baby before August. I had hardly any ctx last night or the night before. Took DS to the zoo today and walked around for nearly 3 hours...I think I had 2 ctx the whole time. Now I'm just swollen, sore and emotional; today is definitely my last day of outings and physical activity for this pregnancy! It's going to be backyard activities from here on out. I remember getting to this point with DS, the point where I'm feeling done but also feeling like I'll never have a baby. It just sucks to be there again after things had been moving along so well for almost 2 weeks!

#27 of 171 Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just feel like crying today. Ever since I went to L&D after my fall things have really changed and now I seriously doubt I will have this baby before August. I had hardly any ctx last night or the night before. Took DS to the zoo today and walked around for nearly 3 hours...I think I had 2 ctx the whole time. Now I'm just swollen, sore and emotional; today is definitely my last day of outings and physical activity for this pregnancy! It's going to be backyard activities from here on out. I remember getting to this point with DS, the point where I'm feeling done but also feeling like I'll never have a baby. It just sucks to be there again after things had been moving along so well for almost 2 weeks!
I can't walk 100 feet without having a massive contraction, but I still don't think I'll have my baby any time soon. Shoot, I'm having a contraction right now. Does it mean anything? Nah.

#28 of 171 Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 PM

anyone here feeling the baby's head pressing down when going to the bathroom? This started yesterday for me. It feels like I am about to push out a cantaloupe every time I pee....

I guess I should be happy for the stretching??....

38.2 weeks and counting.

Christian helpmeet, homeschooling, homebirthing, homesteading wife, happily raising our family completely naturally. Mother to 5 children, 1 angel and new baby due in August!
#29 of 171 Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM

No, I wish I would feel that!!!

My crotch does really hurt though. Like there is wayyyy too much blood flow there or something. I constantly have this throbbing-like dull pain down there.

I tried a minute or so of accupressure last night and it started some pretty decent BH ctx so I stopped immediately. Just wanted to know the possibility of that working was there LOL.

DH and I also DTD last night and I went to sleep without going to the bathroom IYKWIM Well I woke up about 45 minutes later to a heck of a contraction. All I could think was, "oops! what did I do!" Thankfully, it was just that one and then some cramps and no more doozies.

#30 of 171 Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 AM

So all day yesterday I was crampy and backachey. We DTD twice (my ob swears that if you DTD 3 times in 24 hours it starts labor, we only managed twice), ate spicy food, went for a walk, all to try to get things going.

So then after DTD last night, I actually start having what I am pretty sure were real contractions, about every 10 minutes. Then after about an hour, they slow down.... and slow down..... and slow down... until this morning when I am exhausted because of course I didn't sleep and am no longer contracting! BAH!

I am, however, hoping that this means things will be happening this week sometime! I was already 1.5-2 cm and 75% effaced on Friday. Hopefully these contractions got me to 2-3 cm and 100% effaced! Once you're effaced you should dilate more quickly, right?

My mw said that they see the effects of the full moon for 3 days before and 3 days after... so those of us that are hoping it'll influence us, we still have 3 days!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page