Please help! Terrible itching!!! Probably not PUPPPS. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there! I'm not in your DDC, but my dear SIL is due Aug 6th. My own DDC was a life-saver with my last pregnancy, so I thought I would pop in here and see if you mamas could help with a problem my SIL is having these days.

Basically, she is suffering from terrible, full-body itching these days. It can be anywhere, but is worse on her extremities.

It started a week or two ago, and there is nothing on her skin, at all! Just a random itching that comes and goes but is worse at night. Doesn't seem to be PUPPPS because her skins seems to be completely normal.

She has tried oatmeal baths, super-duper moisturizing, and a Benadryl two different times, but nothing seems to really help.

Anyone know what she can try?
#2 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 PM

www.itchymoms.com

Take a look at this link and have her call her caretaker right away if it sounds like her symptoms are the same. I suffered from ICP with my first. I started itching horribly at about 38 weeks with no rash-starting with my extremities and always worse at night. I acutally used the tips of knives on my skin it itched so bad! I still have scars from the sores I ended up with. Thankfully it was diagnosed early enough and I was able to be induced to prevent harm to my son, but if it goes undiagnosed it can be very dangerous for the baby.
I don't mean to cause alarm, it could be absolutely NOTHING, but better safe than sorry. Good Luck to your SIL

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#3 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 PM

colestasis is always my first thought with pg woman with full body itch but no rash.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 PM

Yep she definitely needs to get checked out. Grandpa's pine tar oil soap would help if it's just itchy skin not anything wrong. Also oatmeal baths are very soothing.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#5 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yikes!!!

Thank you so much, mamas, for all the info! I checked the diagnosis out last night, and talked with my SIL today. She is going to see her care provider tomorrow and we'll see what happens from there. I'm hoping that she gets the blood work done, or that ICP can be definitively ruled out!!

Thanks SO SO SO much for your input. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes!

And good luck to you all for your last few weeks!
#6 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 01:47 AM

Hope it all turns out okay.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#7 of 7 Old 07-22-2010, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update.

My SIL saw her OB, and after talking about the itching again, the OB actually brought up ICL, and suggested that they do the blood tests to rule it out before my SIL even had time to bring it up.

I am SO thankful to you guys for the suggestion, and so relieved that her OB was so forward-thinking in handling the situation.

My SIL is 38 weeks tomorrow, and the itching doesn't seem to be getting consistently worse, and is even somewhat lighter at times. So hopefully, she either doesn't have ICL, or has a mild, late-developing case. She'll get the blood work back in a few days.

I'll keep you posted!
Thanks again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page