Dripping mucus/liquid/something - what is this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I went to bed early and slept terribly. I'd wake up every couple hours and not be able to get comfortable. I'd flip to my other side and felt like I was oozing something. I wasn't sure if it was pee or what, but would try to use the bathroom, maybe put on a cloth liner, and go back to bed.

Now all day, almost every time I change positions, I've been leaking more. I smelled it (what else was I supposed to do?) and it didn't smell like pee, but who knows. I've needed a liner/changed underwear a fair amount this pregnancy, but this seems crazy-excessive.

I had my 37 wk CNM visit yesterday and was 2+ cm dilated. Earlier today, the stuff seemed like creamy cervical mucus, for anyone who charted. Now it's runnier to the point where I had to change my shorts because I didn't have a liner on for awhile.

I doubt my water broke because wouldn't I have to lose my mucus plug first? My other babies were at least a week late, so it seems really unlikely that the baby's coming right now, but I've been a total grouch and really uncomfortable, and I don't remember that happening so early the other times.

Has anybody else had leaking get so crazy like this? Is it because I'm dilated enough that who knows what is now draining out of there? Should I call my midwife before she leaves the office for the weekend in 2 hours?

It's just irking me that I can't control it and it feels like I'm peeing myself, but I'm not quite. Also, it feels a lot like when I had substantially bleeding at 12 weeks, so I keep freaking out that I'll find myself in a puddle of blood.

Help!

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#2 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 PM

It's most likely just discharge. Mine varies from thick and snotlike to almost watery. Its super annoying, I agree but I had it with my first as well.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#3 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 04:26 PM

I've had some pretty liquidy discharge lately too. It's definitely 'wet' not mucousy. I was wondering about my water breaking too, but the reason I'm thinking it hasn't is because I never felt a 'pop'. My midwife told me that the mucous plug can actually start to kind of melt so to speak and come out really liquidy. There is so much going on in our bodies right now I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you think your water broke it wouldn't hurt to go in and get it checked out. They can just test the fluid to see if it's amniotic.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#4 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Just wanted to add my experience with last pregnancy. At 36 weeks my water started to leak... no signs of mucus plug, no pop. I was peeing on toilet and when I stopped peeing something kept coming out. It was very clear and very liquid though.. not so much like you described. I have at times with all my pregnancies had very runny discharge, and it was just that.
If you are worried though I would call MW, you don't want to worry about it all weekend.

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#5 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 PM

You don't have to notice your mucous plug to lose it... I lost mine with DS without noticing. With DD I lost it a few times and have already lost it twice with the DD on the way.

I would def. call the mw and ask for it to be tested... its just a paper strip test, if it comes back negative, no worries... and your MW will not be put out by the worry because it IS a worry, one you don't know but she has too, that your water will break and you wont realize it. Its better to check than assume its not!

One thing my midwife always asks at my visits... no bloody discharge? no leaking of any sort, even just a little?

Nope... only time I get wet down there is when I take a bath! LOL otherwise its creamy still... or mucousy (from the plug)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had that happen with my DD when I was 34 weeks. I was dripping on my foot as I walked through the grocery store. Because my DH was supposed to take the bar exam the next day, we called and were sent to L & D. It wasn't my water, just super watery mucous. I just had it this weekend for the first time with this babe. I was peeing right before getting in the shower and when I stood up, I dripped all over the floor. I double checked that I hadn't just peed all over the floor, but no, it was just the same really watery mucous stuff. I would have thought it was my water breaking if I hadn't had the same issue with my first DD.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 06:02 PM

I was just going to post this question!!

The last two days I have had *really* watery discharge, to the point that it has crossed my mind about it being my water leaking.

I have an appointment tomorrow and think I'll ask them to just double check. It has made my underwear, pantiliners, and even my shorts/pants wet!
#8 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks folks for the reassurance. I left a msg with my CNM when I realized that she also hadn't gotten back to me about my GBS results from last week (they weren't in yesterday). She hasn't gotten back to me yet, but the dripping isn't as constant as it was this morning, so I'm even more convinced it's not amniotic fluid, it's just pissing me off because it's getting all over my clothes -- even with a medium pad in, when I stood up off the toilet, it dripped elsewhere. Argh!

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#9 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 PM

I've not had this happen personally (I do have a lot of discharge, but not that much), but if you have a leak in the hindwater -- is that what it's called? -- anyway, a leak up high, and that's what it sounds like if it's not a gush, the chances of infection are small. Just to be on the safe side, though, keep all things out of your vagina until you're sure.

If it's stringy at all like mucous, it probably is mucous. If it's totally liquidy, it could be a leak.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#10 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 PM

I've noticed the same thing today. At work I went to the bathroom and wiped and then felt liquid coming out--some really watery mucus. Didn't have that with either of the boys

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#11 of 11 Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

The CNM eventually called me back and said it's most likely discharge because I'm dilating enough that stuff is coming out. Lovely. I'm more annoyed that she also said I'm GBS+ so I need to figure that out.

I just hope it doesn't continue at this level for a month or more because I only want to go through so many pair of underwear a day. Agh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page