Strange warm-up contractions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since yesterday at about 4 I've been having fairly mild ctx, pretty much like BH except that I can definitely feel my cervix dilating or effacing. Yesterday it actually felt nice-- kind of orgasmic -- but then overnight they became more like a stabbing pain in the cervix with the contractions. They've been as close as 10 mins and as far apart as an hour, so I don't guess it's real labor.

I was already dilated to 3 at my appt on Friday, so I'm wonder how much prelabor dilating I'm going to do. Anyone else feel her cervix opening up?

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#2 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 AM

I have no idea how open mine is, (it was 1cm about 3 weeks ago, and hasn't been checked since), but I definitely get the stabbing sensation a lot! I hope it's being productive!

#3 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 11:08 AM

I have been having this too. I was 2.5 at my appt on Friday, no idea on effacement or anything, but the dr. (unprovoked) said that he thought it would be about a week, maybe sooner. I am 36.4 today, that's when ds came, so this time frame isnt surprising. However, yesterday for about two hours I was having rolling pain in my back about every 15 minutes. I have been having a lot of stabbing pain in my cervix, some larger mucus blobs, and in general, an opening feeling. I too am wondering how long this is going to take. With ds I was 3 cm when I got to the hospital after hours of contractions and ROM. So, it blows my mind that this is all just happening here without much more than some discomfort.

I also keep envisioning myself dialating unknownly to a 10 and going to sit on the toilet to poop only to have a baby. I know that wont happen, but I keep thinking it anyway.

Last night I got very nauseous at bedtime and this morning I woke to loose stools. I dont know if any of that plays into anything. I told DH I just want to know if it is going to happen today so I can either prepare or get on with my day without wondering. There is supposed to be a full moon tonight...
#4 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 AM

matey, I'm counting on the full moon too! My midwife said that it's Monday night though?

Amy, good luck!! I hope that those are productive for you!
#5 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 AM

We're a little confused on the full moon thing. Some full moon charts say Monday, but then we have looked at a couple local sites that say we are having a full moon tonight. I honestly dont know much about full moons and how they work, so we've been saying both days. Either way, it's coming!
#6 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Matey-- I've also had that worry about getting to 10 cm w/o knowing and just having her fall out. If only, right?!

I think the full moon happens pretty close to midnight in my time zone, so that may be why it's straddling both days on some calendars.

Right now I'm crampy and have had loose bm and nausea, but I also drank a lot of coffee this morning.

The full moon has to pull through for at least one of us!

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#7 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oooooo...I didn't realize it was full moon tonight. Here's hoping!

Although based on all the births we had on the 18th you would have thought it was then and not now!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found this article about it... http://childbirth.amuchbetterway.com...al-childbirth/

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
I also keep envisioning myself dialating unknownly to a 10 and going to sit on the toilet to poop only to have a baby. I know that wont happen, but I keep thinking it anyway.
Too funny. I've been feeling the same way. I've even had a few dreams where the baby is suddenly crowning with little warning. I'm dilated to like 4cm, very low soft cervix. I've had a lot of prodromal stuff that's apparently been doing quite a bit. I had a false alarm yesterday. I'm counting on the full moon, too, which I think should be Monday night.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#10 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 12:33 PM

I've been having these for about two weeks now. I have no idea if I'm dilated or effaced at all--haven't been checked and not really comfortable checking myself. I do have an OB appontment tomorrow, so I may ask her to check... especially as she'll be doing the GBS swab anyways. I think I'll be annoyed if these haven't been dong anything. My biggest worry was going in to labor before the swab, because then I'd end up on IV antibiotics--and I really would rather avoid those.

With DS2, I had similar contractions and then went into labor and had him in about 3 hours. I'm not organized enough this time for baby to come that quickly... I hope he holds off a bit.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#11 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 01:23 PM

Oh, I hope this means something will happen soon for you!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#12 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 PM

I've been having the cervix sensations too - both the stabbing painful ones and the kind of sexual ones that feel good. I hope that means I'm dilating!

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#13 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 PM

I have started with them too! Last night I swear I felt myself dilate. I have tried to check myself and I could up until this week now I just can't tell what I am feeling. So I am going to ask them tomorrow to check me, mostly because we are supposed to go 3 hours south for a family reunion next weekend, and while the contractions trouble DH enough that he doesn't want me to go, if they aren't causing progress I don't see why we can't make the trip.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#14 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 04:20 PM

I will be 39 weeks on Tuesday, so I am definitely looking forward to the full moon tonight or tomorrow (which ever).

Christian helpmeet, homeschooling, homebirthing, homesteading wife, happily raising our family completely naturally. Mother to 5 children, 1 angel and new baby due in August!
#15 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going all out today -- lots of walking and cleaning, fresh pineapple, and loads of RRL tea. I won't go as far as something like castor oil, but if this girl is ready, I'm giving her every nudge I can.

The name we're likely to use has a meaning related to the moon, so I think it would be great if she were born under the full moon, maybe even in the early hours of Monday (moon day).

#16 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromamama View Post
I will be 39 weeks on Tuesday, so I am definitely looking forward to the full moon tonight or tomorrow (which ever).
Ah! We're due date buddies! I'm hoping for the same thing but strongly doubting it.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#17 of 17 Old 07-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Yep me too. Stabbing pain in my cervix and productive BH ctx. It felt like I was dilating (already 75% effaced) yesterday, it was a different sensation, an opening sensation. I went to bed feeling PMS'ish: crampy, low back ache, tender breasts, mild nausea, gassy..... then was awoken in the wee hours with mild ctx. It really took me by surprise! It came in waves (maybe every 5 minutes), as I focused more on them (aka, woke up) it began to feel more like round ligament discomfort. After repositioning, the ctx lessened and did feel less like ligament discomfort but I was still contracting, with less discomfort. It disappeared after about 30 minutes or so.

Full moon. I am hoping that I go into labor similarly to when I menstruate, with the new moon. My DH is away from home (at work, would take a full day to get home) until Thursday, so me and babe are focusing on waiting until he comes home. Fingers crossed that works out for us and that this full moon gets some of you momma's into labor!

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page