Anthony William has arrived! - updated with (long!) birth story, post #1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I guess my "maybe labor" was the real thing. I had Anthony at 5:34 this am, and he is wonderful and perfect, and an energetic little nurser! The labor went well, and I can't wait to write up the story sometime today or tomorrow.

Anthony William
7/26/10 5:34am, at 38 weeks 1 day
6 lbs 14 oz, 20 inches long

We just got home from the hospital, and its time to feed the little guy, and start making up from my night of lost sleep!

Anthony William – July 26th, 2010 (38 weeks, 1 day)

Today we had to leave the house (again!) for an open house that our realtor was holding – we’re in week 3 of trying to sell our house. We were up almost to the deadline of when we had to sell our house in order to buy the other house was have under P&S, so were really kind of discouraged. We went to Johhny Rocket’s for lunch, and I had a big burger and milkshake, and then we headed home. My back really started to bother me, so I let Rich drive us. We got home, put Dana down for a nap, then I had a nap as well. I got up around 6, and noted that Anthony was now officially coming later than Dana (she came at 38 weeks, 6:10pm) Rich and I sat on the couch, kind of bored with the fact that both major things going on in our life (selling a house, and having a baby) involve waiting that we have no control over. Then my cell phone rang. We had an offer from someone who saw the house and loved it! Can we please be at the realtor’s office in 30 minutes?

I woke up Dana, got her dressed, and we decided we had enough time to hike into town on foot if we moved it. It felt like I had just one long contraction all the way there, but I’d been having tons of contractions that were exercise related, and they had become just an annoyance. We met at the realtor’s office for about 30 minutes, the offer was good, we were on our way to selling our house! We left the realtor’s office, and headed back up the hill to our house. We decided though, to stop and look at the new place we are buying (funny situation, its our friend’s across the street from us, and they are on vacation, and left us the key in case we wanted to look around the house again while they were gone.) So, we marched up and down the three flights of stairs checking out what will be our house. I stopped at one point and used the bathroom and oddly, had a little bit of loose bm. Hmm, I thought. It was a hot day, the windows were closed, and no A/C, so by the time we were done there, I was tired, a little dehydrated, and contracting, go figure.

We finally got home, and heated up some leftovers for dinner. I had a contraction in the kitchen that made me stop and think. I mentioned this to Rich, who immediately wanted to call my parents to come be at the house with Dana (they live 1.5 hours away) I thought it was overkill, but with Dana’s labor, I denied being in labor for so long that I transitioned in the bathtub, and then had to NOT PUSH all the way to the hospital. Her birth ended up feeling out of control, scary, and not so much fun, so we’d decided this time that Rich got to decide when it was time to start alerting the troops. I laid down and started timing contractions, which were about 10 minutes apart. Given how fast my last labor went, my OB and I had agreed that I would come in was I regularly at 7-10 minutes apart. Then I had three contractions about 3 minutes apart, which freaked me out, and so I called my OB, and we started getting ready to leave for the hospital. I had a list of about 10 people to call to stay with Dana, and NOBODY was answering their phone. I’d almost run out of names when finally a friend picked up. She could stay at the house until my parents got there in an hour.

When I got to the hospital, I really didn’t feel like I was in labor. I wasn’t pleased about being there because I hate putting people out, and my OB is in solo practice, so she was coming into the hospital at 11pm just for me. We did 30 minutes of monitoring and I was contracting regularly at around 7ish minutes. My OB asked if she could check me, and I was 3cms, 80% effaced and -1 station. I hadn’t had any other vaginal exams to this point, so we had nothing to compare to. I was a little bloody, so she thought that maybe I was indeed headed toward active labor. I chatted with Rich while doing another hour of monitoring… I *really* didn’t think I was in labor, and when I finally relaxed, I had another 3 contractions right on top of each other. My OB admitted me then. We got a room in L&D, and got settled in.

I have to stop to say here how amazing my OB, and my L&D nurse were about respecting my birth preferences. They let me labor wherever I felt like, were helpful, but unobtrusive, and basically just let me do my thing. I never felt like they were intruding, just helpful support. Wow.

My mom and dad arrived at the hospital, and we visited for a little bit out in the hall before my dad went back to our house. I was sick of walking the little halls in L&D, so we went down 4 floors to the lobby and meandered there for about an hour. Finally at about 2am or so I’d walked enough to kick up some more contractions, and I was just tired from the lateness of the hour. I laid in bed for a while contracting fairly regularly, but these were wavelike contractions, and not at all unpleasant to work through.

I asked to get checked, and was still 3cm, 80%, but was at 0 station. This was somewhat discouraging. I wanted to get in the Jacuzzi tub, but the plug wasn’t working right, so we had to wait for maintenance to fix it. I think I was able to get in at about 3am, and stayed in until about 4 or so. At the beginning of tub time, I was sitting in the near dark with my mom and Rich talking with me. We had a long discussion about school mascots in between contractions. At the beginning I still wasn’t sure how much in labor I was, but by the end I wasn’t questioning it anymore. At the end of tub time, my back was hurting, and the water just wasn’t feeling good anymore. I got out, and started pacing around the room, leaning on whatever felt good at the time. The wash sink worked nicely, as did standing by the head of my bed, inclined up.

Then I decided to go pee for the 20th time, and decided sitting on the toilet felt good. Rich sat in the bathroom with me, helping me breathe. So – some notes about my labor. Evidently I do NOT like being touched in labor. This is strange to me, because I love human contact in normal life – hugging, back rubs, snuggling, all that. Not in labor. As for breathing, I was really trying to moan in low tones, and not high ones, because I remember in my first labor when I got high, I felt out of control. So i was really working on low tones, and Rich helped remind me to breathe in regularly. Then I found that if I instead of moaning, I more sang… “oooh, ahhh” I relaxed more, and the contractions were easier. It was while sitting on the toilet that labor really got VERY intense. My contractions were non-stop, and I thought, “I can’t do this much longer!” and then I thought “I must be in transition! Yea!” and then I thought, “Oh my God, what if I am not in transition. There is no way I can get through this labor if this isn’t transition”. I started feeling pushy, and didn’t want to get off the toilet, but my L&D nurse offered to get a birthing stool for me.

I had always thought a birthing stool was a little stool. Ha! Not in a hospital they aren’t. It was sort of like a giant plastic bumbo. I got up on it, and it worked well enough. My OB checked me, and said I was 5cms, but my bag of waters was bulging. She could break it, but it would get more intense. NO THANK YOU. Labor was already intense enough! She said that once it broke, things would move quickly, and it could be by 6:30 or 7 that I had my baby. I think this was at about 5am. She left, and I continued to labor on the stool.

Then my water broke with a huge gush at 5:18am, and wow was that a relief. For like, a minute! Then, my whole body started to push – it was like I had no control. My OB came right back in, and sure enough, his head was right there. I had a slight lip, but my body kept pushing anyway. The lip was soon gone, and my OB said that it was time for him to come, and I should push. I really didn’t want to! I said “do I have to?” and she told me with a few good pushes he would come. I put my hand down by his head, and got to work. After several pushes i could feel him, and then i got into it, and birthed his head into my hands. So cool! My OB told me to wait while she unwrapped the cord from his neck, and then the next push he came out into my hands. I couldn’t really hold him, but had my hands on him, and my OB handed him up to me. He was so tiny! I couldn’t believe he was really here!

I held him a long while, and after the cord was done pulsating, Rich cut it, and I snuggled him some more. I had a 2nd degree tear which my OB started repairing (soooo unpleasant). When that was done I passed him to Rich while I got cleaned up a little, and a little more comfy. Then he had some grandma time before coming back to me. It took a little doing, but I got him nursing, and boy did he nurse like a champ once he figured out what we were up to.

We had to deal with a lot of paperwork and nonsense, but everyone was totally in line with the birth plan, and never questioned the eye ointment, vit k, hep B, and no one ever attempted to take him anywhere. By 1:30 we were finally done with all the silliness, and drove home to introduce Anthony to Dana. She was so cute with him! She pointed out all his “tiny” features (tiny nose, tiny chin, tiny cheeks) Then we all got a nap, and when we woke up, headed out to take a family walk in the park.

Its been a long exhausting day, but a beautiful one, and we are so happy to be a family of 4 now!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lkpachec...25987005996898

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#2 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Congrats! Enjoy that soft, squishy, little guy. Good luck on making up for lost sleep!

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#3 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats!!! Be sure to post pics of the little man when you can too!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Congratulations mama!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#5 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Congratulations and welcome baby Anthony!!

Look forward to reading your birth story!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#6 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Yaay! Congrats, mama!!!

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#7 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Yay! I'm so happy for you!!
#8 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Aaah and I JUST now got your text! We were gone most of the weekend and today. Congratulations!!! So happy for you!

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#9 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Congratulations!!
#10 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Congratulations on baby Anthony!

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#11 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM

Congrats! Welcome Anthony, can't wait to read the story of your birth !

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#12 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congratulations!!!!!

luxlove.gif Mommy to my 2 girls 2whistle.gif,joy.gif and 1 little boy thumbsuck.gif.  Wifey to my amazing stillheart.gif husband!  blowkiss.gif Loving my every moment of motherhood! 
#13 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM

Congratulations!!

Live and love with your whole being.
#14 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Congratulations
#15 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Hooray for baby!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#16 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 PM

Congrats mama and baby Anthony!
#17 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 PM

Congrats on your little boy!

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#18 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Congratulations! My little guy was the exact same weight -- they sound like little nursing buddies

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#19 of 28 Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM

Congratulations on your little one!!! Glad things went well for you. Looking forward to the story.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#20 of 28 Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 AM

Congrats!!!

Rebecca~mama to DD1-Alyssa 6/05, DD2-Kaylin 8/08, and new edition DD3-Reyana 8/10.
#21 of 28 Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 AM

yay! thanks for posting the birth story and the pictures. It put a big smile on my face to see you wearing your/our birth beads

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#22 of 28 Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Aw what a great birth story! He is just adorable and squishy! Congratulations again!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#23 of 28 Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congratulations on a beautiful and healthy baby!

Great birth story, thanks for posting it!

Blessings!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8 with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#24 of 28 Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 PM

what a sweet baby congrats

Lisa, wife to Jacob, mom to DS Ryan (4), DD Clover (2.5) and DD Mae (born 2/3/2011)
#25 of 28 Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Congratulations!!
So amazing that you already feeling up for a walk in the park!

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#26 of 28 Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 PM

I notice you're wearing your birth beads! That's awesome!

5*10*15*20****25****30***35****40*42
#27 of 28 Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 PM

Congrats and welcome baby boy! Thank you for sharing your great birth story.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#28 of 28 Old 07-27-2010, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anthony William is my husband's name

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page