Signs that your baby has dropped - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have 27 days left to go and I was all excited, because my maternity clothes still fit me...Then last week when I was at the airport I could literally feel my baby drop/engage. Now I have only two outfits that fit. I mean really? Should that really have a significant effect on how my clothes fit. My dilemma is: do I go and buy a few clothes or just keep washing and live in my two outfits? As if we don't have enough to deal with!

Signs that your baby has dropped:
  • You can only sit with your legs wide open.
  • You thought you waddled before. Now you look like a drunk duck trying to
    dance, not walk.
  • Keeping your balance is a little more difficult. My DH keeps grabbing my
    arm for fear that I might fall.
  • You have to sleep with two pillows between your legs, not one.
  • You can barely reach your privates to wash or wipe! I must have short arms. I don't even know how people are able to check their cervix.
  • Every time you sneeze or cough you feel like your baby will come shooting out or that all your insides will fall out....
How's everyone else faring?
Texasmomagain likes this.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#2 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 AM

LOL I was all excited about this being my second pregnancy because you know, "they" say second babies drop later and usually not until right before labor. Well "they" have obviously never met my babies. DS dropped at 33 weeks, this LO at 35. And like you, OP, I still have about a month to go! I'd skip the clothes but then again, I'm tall and already had issues finding maternity with enough length and going up a size doesn't help me at all. Just rock the exposed underbelly look

My "symptoms":
  • I'm convinced my pelvic bones are about to snap apart
  • Everytime I sit down on the potty, I feel like I have to poo
  • Peeing now takes serious concentration and contortion to move that darned head out of the way long enough for my pea-sized bladder to empty!
  • Between 16 month old DS tugging at my pant leg all day and my belly pushing my pants down, I've given up wearing them at all around the house
#3 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 AM

I've come to accept the fact that I will either be flashing a bit of belly or a bit of crack anytime I go out in public. My shirts are being pushed up and my pants are being pushed down all of the time. I'm going to tough it out...

I shaved my legs and bikini line to go swimming with DS Friday. NO idea how anyone else is doing this because it was next to impossible. I had to shave with the shower door open, foot of the chosen leg up on an overturned laundry basket and bending over attempting to catch a glance at what I was doing.

I'm with you, how are people checking their cervix? I can't even attempt to at this point.

I'm sitting with my legs miles apart and definitely have the ridiculous waddle-walk where ever I go. Then of course I'm hiking up my pants and yanking down my shirt every 10 seconds...

I just told DH the other day that every time I have a bowel movement, I'm 90% sure I'll end up on one of those television shows where the women gave birth in the toilet not even realizing what was happening. The pressure is insaaane. At this rate, this kid should just fall out of me after a couple of lunges once I hit 40 weeks.

31 days left...only 31 more days.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#4 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

These are all so true. If I weren't in the moment I would be . Oh what the heck, if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#5 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 02:07 AM

SO THERE with you ladies. i also cannot sit unless legs are spread way apart (so lady like a work right?), have to move around on the toilet seat to move baby out of the way to finish peeing, am constantly flashing belly and am waddling like a bow-legged wildebeast. And dont' get me started on shaving....it's just not happening and there is no way I am going down there blind! In general, the end of this pregnancy is NOT a pretty site, I am embarrased to go out in public at this point!

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#6 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughymama View Post
I shaved my legs and bikini line to go swimming with DS Friday. NO idea how anyone else is doing this because it was next to impossible. I had to shave with the shower door open, foot of the chosen leg up on an overturned laundry basket and bending over attempting to catch a glance at what I was doing.
Okay so reading this I just realized I totally forgot about having to shave my bikini line before swimming of just in general, because I haven't seen it in so long. And i just went swimming at my MIL and brother in laws this weekend!!! And now that i check, which wasn't all that easy, i realize it definitly needed to be done. I'm so embarressed now! I'm gonna ask DH why he didn't tell me, well i definitly won't forget that one again!! Thanks for the reminder!
#7 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 AM

The last 2 times I shaved down there I cut myself horribly. I'm to the point where I try to adjust the belly out of the way to just shave the bikini line. I was thinking about having it all waxed off in a week or 2, but now I don't even care.

We went to a movie the other night, and I kept having to lean forward (she's posterior), split my legs open, and wiggle my belly into place between them. Thank god it was dark! I can tell she's lowering because my boobs are no longer resting on my stomach when I stand.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#8 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM

Yeah, I had a good situation going on a couple of weeks ago. Extremely large for dates baby-frank breech and posterior with an anterior placenta. Nice. My stomach capacity was like 2 oz.

Thankfully, with all the pulsatilla, birth ballin' and swimming, not so LO flipped and got into ROA. I knew this about a week ago, because my all day heartburn lessened a bit, my vulva began swelling slightly, I have to poop like every hour and pee every 1/2 an hour, and the braxton hicks have picked up. Yesterday the MW measured me (I was 35.4) at "between 39 and 40". Yeah, maternity clothes are a joke right now..unless I wear full belly panel or dresses...

The other thing was that before when we had "eh em..marital relations", baby would just choke me out and I'd nearly suffocate. Now, I just nearly split in two from having something try to get out via one route, while something else tries to come on it, LOL!

Blessed Christian Wife and Mother to 5 +Oliver James-Our 10 lb 9 oz born Labor Day 2010!
#9 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM

I noticed yesterday that baby girl has dropped. I am glad because that means there is no flipping back to transverse lol. I took a couple belly pics today and compared them to 3 weeks ago and sure enough my belly is way lower! YAY!

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#10 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFillingQuiver View Post
Yeah, I had a good situation going on a couple of weeks ago. Extremely large for dates baby-frank breech and posterior with an anterior placenta. Nice. My stomach capacity was like 2 oz.

Thankfully, with all the pulsatilla, birth ballin' and swimming, not so LO flipped and got into ROA. I knew this about a week ago, because my all day heartburn lessened a bit, my vulva began swelling slightly, I have to poop like every hour and pee every 1/2 an hour, and the braxton hicks have picked up. Yesterday the MW measured me (I was 35.4) at "between 39 and 40". Yeah, maternity clothes are a joke right now..unless I wear full belly panel or dresses...

The other thing was that before when we had "eh em..marital relations", baby would just choke me out and I'd nearly suffocate. Now, I just nearly split in two from having something try to get out via one route, while something else tries to come on it, LOL!
The last paragraph made me laugh! DH suggested DTD yesterday and I laughed at him. I am pretty sure the physics are impossible, and to be honest the very idea is downright comical to me right now!

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#11 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 04:26 PM

My guy dropped a month ago and since then I have been a'waddlin' and not'a'fittin' my clothes. I am one of those tall gals. I did buy 2 maternity tank tops that thankfully cover my belly, so I've been layering, its working.

In retrospect, I now see the benefit of a posterior baby and dropping so early. His head isn't laying fully on my bladder; so, I haven't needed to pee every 15 minutes. One small mercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughymama View Post
I just told DH the other day that every time I have a bowel movement, I'm 90% sure I'll end up on one of those television shows where the women gave birth in the toilet not even realizing what was happening. The pressure is insaaane. At this rate, this kid should just fall out of me after a couple of lunges once I hit 40 weeks.

31 days left...only 31 more days.

Until our house is finished, we are using an outhouse. Yesterday, I had a terrible vision of spontaneously giving birth and the baby falling/hanging! Yuck! It freaked me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom View Post
We went to a movie the other night, and I kept having to lean forward (she's posterior), split my legs open, and wiggle my belly into place between them. Thank god it was dark! I can tell she's lowering because my boobs are no longer resting on my stomach when I stand.

Yep, my guy is posterior too. Whenever I sit, I sit that way. So attractive!

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#12 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 04:31 PM

-when you can barely drive because your legs have to be so wide apart! I got in the car to go to the store and thought, "Oh NO! I can't get there!!!" I managed somehow

Oh and on shaving the bikini line: full-length mirror. We go to the pool several times a week so I can't get away with skipping it entirely, but I can manage if I dry-shave in front of the mirror.... though, I guess I'm the freak who dry shaves. Hadn't thought of that (years of daily pre-swimming practice toughens the skin, I s'pose).

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#13 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
-when you can barely drive because your legs have to be so wide apart! I got in the car to go to the store and thought, "Oh NO! I can't get there!!!" I managed somehow

Oh and on shaving the bikini line: full-length mirror. We go to the pool several times a week so I can't get away with skipping it entirely, but I can manage if I dry-shave in front of the mirror.... though, I guess I'm the freak who dry shaves. Hadn't thought of that (years of daily pre-swimming practice toughens the skin, I s'pose).
I use DH's electric beard trimmer and just use the ole feel method... no cutting no razor burn and good enough as far as I am concerned lol

#14 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 05:56 PM

I tried dh's trimmer too (and did NOT tell him!) but it kinda pulled the hairs and left me feeling pretty uncomfy. I guess I'm just not familiar enough with it to use it well

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#15 of 26 Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
I tried dh's trimmer too (and did NOT tell him!) but it kinda pulled the hairs and left me feeling pretty uncomfy. I guess I'm just not familiar enough with it to use it well
his might be one that more pulls the hairs out... i use the guard on DH's and it just literally cuts it.

And he knows I use it lol and doesn't care

#16 of 26 Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 PM

This post is just what I was looking for! I feel like my body mechanics have definitely changed this week and I assumed it was due to baby dropping. I have a lot of pressure on my pubic bone every time I stand--it subsides after a few minutes. Is anyone else experiencing that? Also, it is uncomfortable to swing out bed or the car one leg at a time due to the pressure on my pubic bone--sound normal? Of course, when I looked up my concerns online all points lead me to pubic symphisis dysfunction, but my instincts say it isn't so serious.

Living in Alaska with my hubby and our ray of sunshine, born August 2010.
#17 of 26 Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabum View Post
This post is just what I was looking for! I feel like my body mechanics have definitely changed this week and I assumed it was due to baby dropping. I have a lot of pressure on my pubic bone every time I stand--it subsides after a few minutes. Is anyone else experiencing that? Also, it is uncomfortable to swing out bed or the car one leg at a time due to the pressure on my pubic bone--sound normal? Of course, when I looked up my concerns online all points lead me to pubic symphisis dysfunction, but my instincts say it isn't so serious.
Normal for prego's who's babe's have engaged. This is part of my dysfunction. I will be so glad when I get my body back and can walk with a sway instead of a waddle!

#18 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pretty sure my babe dropped last night. i was -actually- asleep (weird!) and I was woken up by a big THUD in my pelvic floor.

That afternoon I asked my husband "Does my belly look smaller to you??"

Went to the MW and she asked "Does she feel low to you because she's low now and your upper tummy has room now!"

It was neat to know it had happened and get confirmation, too!

Anyone else's babe fallen with a big THUD??
#19 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 04:07 PM

No THUD for me, but it was sudden. One night I went to bed and I woke up the next morning with a considerably lower belly and easier breathing.

#20 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 04:38 PM

right now my baby keeps moving up and down. one day she/he is down low and i get pubic pressure when i get up, waddle more, more pressure when i walk, feel like i have to pee all the time. then the next day she/he will move back up and my ribs are sore, i'm short of breath, don't feel like eating. i'm not sure which is worse.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#21 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabum View Post
I feel like my body mechanics have definitely changed this week and I assumed it was due to baby dropping. I have a lot of pressure on my pubic bone every time I stand--it subsides after a few minutes. Is anyone else experiencing that? Also, it is uncomfortable to swing out bed or the car one leg at a time due to the pressure on my pubic bone--sound normal?
Yah Yah, I have to give myself a min. when I get out of the car or bed. My whole pelvic portion is sore and not happy. Oh, now that her head is in place I'm peeing every ten. min, seriously. I've gone 3x since we got home 1/2 hour ago and I hvaen't had any fluids. Last night I went 6-7x in the first 2 hours of being in bed. I was up FOREVER, waiting to pee again

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#22 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a new one...

The baby is soooo low in your pelvis that the midwife double checks for a heartbeat up high to make sure she didn't flip breech. She couldn't even palpate for her head any more! Yikes!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#23 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 10:11 PM

I slept really aweful last night due to a horrible headache so I've been really lazy and out of sorts today but I swear there were a few times when I'd get up (to go to the bathroom, of course) that I honestly felt like he might just fall out. I know it sounds crazy but I actually got scared a couple times

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#24 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
The baby is soooo low in your pelvis that the midwife double checks for a heartbeat up high to make sure she didn't flip breech. She couldn't even palpate for her head any more! Yikes!
That totally happened to me today!!! It kinda freaked me out at first. I was shouting in my head: "NOOOO, please tell me he did NOT flip breech!" One of the midwives was finally able to feel the head, sorta-kinda, but she was digging deep!

#25 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
Here's a new one...

This is me too!! I'm finding it a wee bit uncomfortable....
#26 of 26 Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 PM

Baby was at -1 station last visit, how much lower can baby get before labor? I swear she dropped more, my hips are killing me and it hurts to walk, lots of round ligament pain, well, pain in general! 38 weeks on Monday....PLEASE only one more week of this!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page