Gas or round ligament pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whatever it is, it's worse than labor! Seriously. Oh my stars.

This morning I had a gigantic breakfast out with a friend. About 30 minutes later while walking around a store I started having tightness in my lower abdomen. After I got home, and about 2 hours after eating, I got the most intense stabbing pains right above my pubic bone. My husband thought I was in labor, but they came on so suddenly and were right no top of eachother, I knew it couldn't be. It was AWFUL! I took 2 gas-x and laid down on the bed. I felt better and promptly fell asleep. Woke up 1.5 hours later and thought I was all better but after moving around a bit, it was back. Lay back down and improved. Now I'm finally able to sit up, but I don't dare move around much. It's right below my belly, right at my pubic bone, and just stab, stab, stab. Sitting on the toilet makes it worse. I don't think I've had round ligament pain at all so far, so is that what this is? Have my poor ligaments finally reached their limit? Or is it just wicked, wicked gas?

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 PM

Yikes! I'm not sure what it is but I do hope that you feel better soon! My RLP is usually more towards my hips than right above my pubic bone, if that helps?

Truthfully, I hope that it's labor for you!!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Could it be Pubic symphysis separation? i know it hit me around 36 weeks. check out this website for diagnosis :http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

It is really prevalent when walking -

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Could be RLP, or maybe it's the babies head pressing up against a nerve? Or maybe it's labor pains, just different from what you're used to? Whatever it is, I hope you get some relief soon.

ETA: When I get RLP it's not really a stabbing, more like a pulling/stretching pain. It sounds like the pain I've experienced in my cervix when the baby hits a sensitive spot, but obviously it's not in the same area. That's what made me think it could be a pinched nerve from babies head moving down. But if it's associated with the pubic bone it could also be SPD.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 PM

i've had this a couple of times with this pregnancy, and both times it was bowel/gas related. the second i get the slightest bit backed up, i can't walk. it's ridiculous and so insanely painful. maybe this is what is happening?

xo
Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies, for the sympathy and insights. Luckily, it does seem to have finally passed. I think it was a super wicked case of gas. Take it from me -- it is not a good idea to have an extra large, extra fatty omelet at 40 weeks pregnant when your intestinal tract has been pushed far beyond its normal boundaries. I'm actually very frightened of eating anything now. I'm getting hungry, since it has been almost 7 hours since I've eaten, but I do not want to be in this sort of distress when labor actually begins, which could be any time now, of course. I just want to have a clean, well-functioning bowel. I've been alternating between constipation and loose stools, and I don't know how to achieve intestinal bliss before the blessed event. Just the kind of stress that I need. Grrr.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 PM

how about a nice, big salad? with some salmon or something yummy to you.

rest up mama. baby time a'comin! thinking of you!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:22 PM

I share your pain.

This will be TMI, but... I get those stabbing pains when a very solid BM apparently can't get past the baby's head/my bladder. Before going to the bathroom, I actually have to hold on to walls and stuff, it's so painful. Then I have to lift my belly up to let everything function! The back and forth between solid and loose stools makes it difficult to know what to do. I am now drinking a fiber supplement (Metamucil drink) occasionally to try and hit that balance! Ugh. Does pregnancy have to take away ALL my dignity?

P.S. Sometimes I think, well this must be what it's like to be 75+ years old. Trouble pooping, trouble peeing at the right times, difficulty walking up stairs, want to do things but not physically able, certain foods make me have heartburn or gas or constipation or diarrhea, etc. Makes me have more sympathy for my parents and grandparents when I think about it.

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 PM

I have had horrible gas pains this whole pregnancy!! My midwife has me take accidophilous (sp?) after meals. it helps alot when i forget to take it i just wawnt to die. I actually went to the hospital because i thought my appendics was going to explode. after 7 hours of horride gas pain that was on my right side, and i couldn't walk! and it was gas from a cabbage salad! Bad cabbage, bad cabbage!! Glad it's over for you. i know that it is no fun!!

~amy

User Tag List