Is $200 worth it for a laboring pool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My plans to deliver at a birthing center fell through, so I'll be back at the hospital this time around. While they are fine with women delivering naturally, I don't think they'll really be cheering me on during the process, so I want to make sure I'm well prepared to handle things without relying on their support. I'm getting really nervous for delivery.

Anyway, the hospital offers "hydrotherapy" during labor, which is an inflatable birthing pool you can rent for $200...except you can't birth in it. Do you think it's worth it? I think it might feel great when the pain of contractions is strong, but won't it really suck to have to hop out of the pool to deliver??? Will I be cold and wet at the most critical moment when I should feel warm and secure? Is the cost just so incredibly high that I shouldn't waste the money? After all, I can buy a brand new bathtub from Home Depot for that price...

If I don't end up using the pool, I don't pay the $200, so should I plan to have it available just in case. It is definitely an out of pocket expense - nothing that insurance would cover. What do you think?

Andrea , wife to Mark , mama to Taylor Elise (2) and Aurora Evelyn (born 8/17/10!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 PM

I'm in St Louis, too! My understanding is that around here they are very quick to "risk" you out of laboring in the water (I guess it's pretty inconvenient from the nurses perspective), so I would say, if you won't have to pay in the case that they risk you out of it, then go ahead and have it ready. If you have to pay, even if you're in for 1/2 an hour, then I'd probably skip it. And I say that from the perspective of prefering to labor in water.

Oh and as far as laboring then hopping out to push: last time my midwife wasn't comfortable with me delivering in the water (she apparently just isn't as comfortable with water births) and they had me get out when I started pushing. I have no memory of being wet & cold. I was pushing and all my energy went into that! So, that objection didn't end up being a big deal for me. And that was in March when it was cold!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 PM

It would definitely be worth it to me. The water is a lifesaver for me. Can't imagine having my babies anywhere else. They wouldn't be able to get me out, once the baby started coming, if their life depended on it! It is a personal preference. I have had an affinity for water since I was a child so it is very comforting to me.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 AM

I labored in a tub with DS1 until the midwife pulled the plug and drained the tub without asking me. However I just thought I'd chime in with the point that unless there is a drain for them to undo or someone is going to physically lift you out, they can't MAKE you get out when you are pushing. Just a thought!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:44 AM

The hospital I gave birth to DS1 at, didn't have any tubs... but I spent a lot of time in the shower. I would have so loved to even have the option for a tub. I've heard such great things about how they help.

If it were me, and I was pretty sure they wouldn't risk me out, I'd pay for it.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 07-31-2010, 02:38 AM

I loved the shower during my first labor and am thrilled to have the option of a tub this time around. The hospital is fine with me birthing in it although my DH isn't too comfortable with that. I think I'll love laboring in it though and it would be worth it to me. Could you call your insurance co and talk to them about it? Perhaps it would be partly covered?

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 AM

The 2 hours I spent in the shower helped keep me going for sure. I'm guessing a tub would be far better.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 07-31-2010, 03:21 AM

My 1st was born in the hospital and they don't allow waterbirth here either. I did labor in a tub (not a labor tub though) and it helped. In the end I didn't want to give birth in there but that may have been because I knew I couldn't? I definitely don't remember being cold and wet when pushing on the bed. And it was definitely a great pain reliever.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 AM

I labored in a pool and got out when it came time to push because I couldn't get the right position in the water. I wasn't cold and wet....I was warm and sweaty! I really liked being in the water though.

The rental cost just seems a bit absurd, which would piss me off. You could buy your own inflatable birthing pool for that. I know because I happen to be searching for liners today, and the whole Birth Pool in a Box package is $185, including a liner. The liner alone is about $30. Hell, buy your own and keep it as a fantastic kiddie pool afterwards! LOL. Our midwifery doesn't charge us to "rent" the pool, we just have to buy a liner for our birth.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
Old 07-31-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepPDX View Post
I labored in a pool and got out when it came time to push because I couldn't get the right position in the water. I wasn't cold and wet....I was warm and sweaty! I really liked being in the water though.

The rental cost just seems a bit absurd, which would piss me off. You could buy your own inflatable birthing pool for that. I know because I happen to be searching for liners today, and the whole Birth Pool in a Box package is $185, including a liner. The liner alone is about $30. Hell, buy your own and keep it as a fantastic kiddie pool afterwards! LOL. Our midwifery doesn't charge us to "rent" the pool, we just have to buy a liner for our birth.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:00 PM

could you bring your own pool? Mine cost just under $200 (I got the ecoborn pool with lid and liner) and I get to keep it

Otherwise I'd still say it's worth it. Depending on their hospital policies, I've heard of women "accidentally" birthing the baby on the tub and not "making it out in time"

User Tag List