Just got back from L&D (UPDATE from Drs visit) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2010, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went to the hospital this evening due to some localized pain in my uterus. Near the same spot as my gall bladder scar but still it was worrying me. Well the wait was 4-6 hrs!!!! I went back up to the desk and asked if I could just go to L&D to be checked out. Well as I was on my way up there the lady at the desk phoned up there and told them I was in labor!!! Ugh, not what I said to her but whatever. The nurses phoned my doc after doing an NST. Everything was fine with baby. I was basically worried about an abruption since I have high BP. It was hard to explain to them my pain b/c I have no feeling right there but it was tender when I pressed on it. I still can't explain it to you all LOL. Anyways they took a urine sample and I have to see my dr tomorrow instead of Friday. She also came back in the room while she was on the phone with my dr. and said that I was contracting regularily and asked if I was in pain with them! Must have been fairly high numbers on the monitor for her to ask me that. I wasn't feeling them.....I am now. They are burning quite nicely
Posted via Mobile Device

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 AM

So they ended up sending you home? Did they have any explanation for the pain? Ug I can't imagine that kind of stress! I'm glad you're ok...mostly? Except for the contractions?

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 AM

Ugh, not the most enjoyable way to spend the evening! I'm glad that you & baby are ok... keep us posted about what the doc says tomorrow. I hope it continues to be a strange, pregnancy nothing!

I think that many hospitals have a policy that basically you can't go to L&D unless you are having some symptoms of labor or fetal stress, etc. When I was pregnant with dd we were in a car wreck. I was driving and it was head-on so I got slammed by the airbag. I felt fine, but the general wisdom at the scene was don't screw around with it and go ahead on in to have baby checked out. When I got to the ER, the (very helpful) triage nurse said "So, you're feeling a lot of contractions and need to go to L&D?" I said, "No, I just want to listen to the baby to make sure things are ok." She said, "Work with me here cause I can't send you up there otherwise and you don't want to sit down here in flu-ville. You're feeling a lot of contractions and pre-term labor stuff?" It was funny, but I was glad she helped us to kinda cheat it so I could go home sooner than later! Mebbe that's why the nurse told them you were in labor?

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 08-04-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

No explanation for the pain. The one nurse I know was pretty baffled. I was nervous to mention what *I* thought it could be and was waiting for someone to bring it up. Localized pain/discomfort/tenderness in a uterus should always be checked out. The nurse told me "oh its probably from babys feet". Like, um the babys feet are on the total opposite side!, and I'm not stupid! I know she didn't mean it that way and I'm being totally over sensitive but whatever lol. My doctor knows where my placenta is (they checked to make sure it wasn't on my c/s scar, so she must have known it wasn't from that to send me home. I keep forgetting to ask where it is. If I knew that it was say, in the far left bottom corner I wouldn't have been so worried about the pain in the top right KWIM? Oh well. I guess we shall see what happens today. My swelling is getting worse and won't go down at night. My hands are puffy now too....along with my face. Even though everyone keeps telling me they haven't noticed my extra cheeks and chins, I sure have. Anyways I should try and DD back to bed as it is only 4:45 AM.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Old 08-04-2010, 10:58 AM

I'm sorry you had to go through that and I'm really sorry that it sounds like preeclampsia is sneaking up on you. Let us know how your doctor's visit goes.

Around here they send you directly to L&D triage for anything that brings you in to the hospital. I could probably break my leg and they'd send me to triage.

Hubby said, "It's like you have VIP status!". I get seen and treated right away in triage, even if it's an upper respiratory virus that brought me in. The ER has such long waits, it's insane! But once you reach about 15 weeks they won't even see you. They send you straight up to L&D, even if your ailment has nothing to do with pregnancy.

I'm going to miss that.

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Went to the doctors today and was officially diagnosed with pre-e She said my urine dip for protien was as high as the stick would read. My BP was ok at the visit but she said it was very high last night.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM

Aww, hon, I'm sorry! So what is the plan? Many

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM

Barging in from September...

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis; pre-e sucks. As far as your pain, you said it's upper right? Near your gallbladder scar?? Upper right quadrant pain is one of the scary pre-e-trending-toward-HELLP symptoms. Did your OB run bloodwork last night or today to check liver function? URQ pain from HELLP often is mistaken for gallbladder pain and often starts just as tenderness near or beneath the right ribs.

I'm not trying to freak you out. Promise. But I wanted to be sure this was on your radar and that your OB was running pre-e labs to check your liver function.

Hang in there!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the tenderness is from the old gall bladder scar the doctor said. I don't have any pain in the upper right quadrant other than the small tender area on top of my uterus. She pushed everywhere else and no pain thank goodness. She is keeping a close eye on me. I am sitting, waiting for bloodwork as I type. I just had it done Friday and all was fine, but as we know, things can change in an instant.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Hope the blood work comes back ok. Would this make her push up the c/s?

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimestersdoula View Post
Yeah, the tenderness is from the old gall bladder scar the doctor said. I don't have any pain in the upper right quadrant other than the small tender area on top of my uterus. She pushed everywhere else and no pain thank goodness. She is keeping a close eye on me. I am sitting, waiting for bloodwork as I type. I just had it done Friday and all was fine, but as we know, things can change in an instant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Whew... good news. Hope the bloodwork comes back okay!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 08-04-2010, 07:15 PM

thinking of you. keep us posted as you can.
xoxo
Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, girls. I appreciate all the thoughts so much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 PM

Aww, so sorry! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. I guess the hope at this point is that you can make it to the scheduled c/s? fingers crossed that the bloodwork isn't terrible!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Autumn, she actually pushed it back now. It was supposed to be the 9th but she found out she has to work the ER that day. She knows I don't trust anyone but her so she is pushing to get the OR for the 10th (11th at the latest). Of course if things progress quickly I will have an emergency c/s sooner rather than the scheduled one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimestersdoula View Post
Autumn, she actually pushed it back now. It was supposed to be the 9th but she found out she has to work the ER that day. She knows I don't trust anyone but her so she is pushing to get the OR for the 10th (11th at the latest). Of course if things progress quickly I will have an emergency c/s sooner rather than the scheduled one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hoping everyting works out. Hang in there. Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:44 PM

Thinking of you!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

User Tag List