Evening Primrose - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody using these tablets during these last weeks of pregnancy. Thinking about picking some up today. Any tips about the best way to use them? Did anybody find these effective, not effective? Thanks for your thoughts!

Island mama to DD (10), DS (5), DS (4) and DD (Aug 31 '10)
#2 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 PM

I started using them very late in pregnancy last time, not sure how effective they were. I only took them orally. This time I'm taking two and inserting two at night. Some people say they leak out but I haven't had that problem. I do wear a pad at all times though.
I had also heard that taking fish oil late in pregnancy has been linked to longer gestational periods so some recommended taking EPO instead later on. Not sure if that's true and I don't know where the study is. Sorry I'm not very well informed! But that's what I do and I'm hoping it works this time.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#3 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM

I just started taking them this week, at 39 weeks. I would have started at 37-38 weeks, but my provider was out of town from 38-39 weeks, so I decided not to do anything to encourage my cervix at that time. Anyway, I am taking one 500 mg capsule orally and inserting 1-2 capsules at night. I pierce them and squeeze out the oil.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#4 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerkin View Post
I started using them very late in pregnancy last time, not sure how effective they were. I only took them orally. This time I'm taking two and inserting two at night. Some people say they leak out but I haven't had that problem. I do wear a pad at all times though.
I had also heard that taking fish oil late in pregnancy has been linked to longer gestational periods so some recommended taking EPO instead later on. Not sure if that's true and I don't know where the study is. Sorry I'm not very well informed! But that's what I do and I'm hoping it works this time.
Same to all of this. My bottle says I can take up to 6 (?) a day, but I'm also only taking two orally and two vaginally at night. Except the past few nights I've skipped the vaginal dose because they tend to cause a less than desirable smell (sorry TMI). I didn't use them in last pregnancy so I can't say whether it works or not. I'm also already really soft and dilated so I haven't noticed any changes in my cervix since taking them. But I figure it can't hurt, right?

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#5 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm using them too. Taking 3 a day orally and starting tomorrow I'll do one vaginally at night as well. I don't know if they are why, but my cervix is pretty soft and at least 50% effaced.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 PM

I have noticed that when I directly apply the oil, I feel kind of crampy for a few minutes afterward, like menstrual-type cramps. Does this happen to anyone else?

Katie (36)

winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#7 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Hmm..... why are you guys doing this? I'm confused. The babe will come when the babe is ready, so why use hormones (EPO mimics female hormones) like this?
#8 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegal View Post
Hmm..... why are you guys doing this? I'm confused. The babe will come when the babe is ready, so why use hormones (EPO mimics female hormones) like this?
EPO helps prepare the cervix for labor. It's said to make labor a bit easier on you and help your body go into labor when it's ready. To me it's not really different from having sex for the prostaglandins.

Just as when I'm sick I know that my body will heal itself, I still often take herbs or homeopathics to help it do so more quickly and easily. I take things to support my body's natural abilities.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM

This is actually the first pregnancy where I have tried RRL tea or EPO. The RRL is in my prenatal vitamins, which took me like 6 months to notice. I was always against any cervical ripeners, but I figured I would give it a shot this time around since I tend to be a long gestator and don't want to get into an induction discussion at 42+ weeks with an unfavorable cervix and VBAC hopes. My only previous vaginal delivery followed a super long marathon of labor that began with SROM at 41 weeks with a very hard, unfavorable cervix. That eventually led to a bunch of medical interventions (e.g. pitocin) that I strongly did not want. My cervix is really soft this time (I checked myself so I have a basis of comparison during labor), and I'm hoping that means that whenever I do go into labor, it moves a little more smoothly. I'm under the impression that RRL tea and EPO are not labor inducers.

Philosophically, I agree that babies trigger labor whenever they are ready, and I am not in a hurry to get this baby out ASAP. Practically, I think RRL and EPO are pretty low risk. In fact, they probably don't do much but make me feel like I am doing something to make labor better.

Katie (36)

#10 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 02:00 PM

I'm also taking EPO, two 1300 mg softgels orally and one vaginally at night, which I pierce before I insert. Like others have said, EPO does not induce labor--it only helps soften your cervix to allow easier effacement and dilation when your baby adn body decides it's time. Like Evie'sMama said, using EPO is quite similar to having sex for the prostaglandins--although the prostagladins in semen are apparently much more concentrated an powerful. So therefore, EPO is at least as safe and non-invasive as sex at the end of pregnancy. And I'm sure we'll all agree that, at this point, inserting that little tablet is much more fun than sex at nine months pregnant, ha ha!

I've never been checked, and I can't feel my own cervix, but my MW seems to think that EPO is beneficial, so I'm just keeping a positive attitude and trusting that (since i'm 40 weeks tomorrow!) my body is gearing up for the birth day! Hopefully the EPO will simply make the birth day go a bit smoother. And--on the off-chance that I make 42 weeks and have to be induced--EPO supposedly makes inductions go easier, as well, as it has been ripening your cervix.

5*10*15*20****25****30***35****40*42
#11 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 02:25 PM

I've been taking them orally and vaginally since 37 weeks. They can't hurt so why not?

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#12 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 04:44 PM

I've been taking 1000-1500 mg orally and inserting 1 500 mg softgel at bed time. I started last week, 37 weeks 2 days.

Sex is a great idea, but not really enjoyable or appealing in any way right now.
#13 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegal View Post
I know this has been addressed already, but just wanted to second the fact that EPO is not labor inducing. It's used to prepare or ripen the cervix for labor, similar to how RRL tea serves to prepare the uterus for labor. Neither thing will actually bring labor on, though.

Sex, on the other hand, can stimulate labor (or at least contractions) to start. The prostaglandins (and an orgasm) can make the uterus to contract. Every time DP and I have DTD these past couple weeks I've ended up awake most of the night with contractions that lead nowhere. Coming from someone who has tried just about EVERY natural induction method including caster oil (in my last pregnancy, not this one) NOTHING short of pitocin (and sometimes not even that) will put you into labor if your body isn't ready.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#14 of 16 Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyedoc View Post
I have noticed that when I directly apply the oil, I feel kind of crampy for a few minutes afterward, like menstrual-type cramps. Does this happen to anyone else?
I haven't noticed any cramping from the EPO. Maybe it's simply from the actual act of inserting it? Are you putting it directly on the cervix? Internal 'checks' can bring on cramping.

#15 of 16 Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
I haven't noticed any cramping from the EPO. Maybe it's simply from the actual act of inserting it? Are you putting it directly on the cervix? Internal 'checks' can bring on cramping.
My cervix is still pretty high, so I don't think I am actually getting the oil right on it, but near it. Maybe it's all the convoluted bending over I have to do to even reach down there.

Katie (36)

#16 of 16 Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Ditto to all the sex or lack there of comments. Not comfortable or enjoyable..good thing my Dh is only home on the weekends..poor guy!

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page