BP Question After Doc Visit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-06-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If my BP is normally 100/70 or less, are readings of 138/85 and 133/80 worrisome? Had some protein in my urine too.

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#2 of 7 Old 08-06-2010, 05:51 PM

I have no medical training whatsoever, but with my last pregnancy I went from 100/70 type readings to the 130/80 range and no one was concerned. I was much heavier before and during my last pregnancy, so that may have had something to do with it. I was always shocked to hear such high numbers when I spent my whole life with low bp, but everyone said it was still in a fine range.

This pregnancy I have been 107/80 at my highest, and started more in the 90/70 range.
#3 of 7 Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 PM

H usually runs in the 90/70 range (I think) and today (38 weeks) was 120/80. No one was concerned!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#4 of 7 Old 08-06-2010, 07:25 PM

My BP was exactly 138/85 yesterday. I asked if it was getting high and my nurse said "yeah but no big deal" - my OB didn't even say anything at all about it. I think its nothing to worry about yet...
I don't know about protein in your urine though because I didn't have that. (And now I feel like no help at all! Sorry!)
#5 of 7 Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I just read online that 140/90 or higher is considered high BP in pregnancy. So I'm below that cutoff. Good news!

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#6 of 7 Old 08-06-2010, 08:46 PM

Just watch elevated BP combined with protein in the urine. Ususally a "trace" of protein is no worry, but +1 or higher could be an indicator of impending preeclampsia.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#7 of 7 Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 PM

Personally (and this may just be because I dealt with preeclampsia last pregnancy and am now dealing with it this pregnancy), but I would definitely start asking questions. Did they tell you how much protien in your urine? Yes, anything over 140/90 is considered high BUT 30mmHg over your normal systolic and 15mmHg over your normal diastolic is also considered to be not good....especially with protien. Your readings were 38/15mmHg and 33/10mmHg or more higher than your normal. You could also ask for a blood test to check for uric acid. Not trying to scare you by any means but I would think it may be something to look into.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page