Safe, non invasive ways to attempt to give labor a boost - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what things are you trying to get things going? I know that if baby isn't ready it won't work but I am looking for things that can't really hurt anything either.

Today I plan to:

- do a castor oil pack. I will NEVER drink this stuff, that is scary to me, but my mw suggested rubbing it on my belly and covering it with a warm wet towel for 20 min or so.

- go for a walk

- have my feet, ankles and whatever other pressure points rubbed by my massage therapist friend

- may be if I can get up the energy, sex (Isn't orgasm good too, not just the prostaglandins in the semen?)

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#2 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 01:10 PM

All I have really done to prep my body is to drink red raspberry leaf tea, take (and directly apply) evening primrose oil, sit on a birthing ball and try to stay active. Tomorrow is my due date, and I really did not want to deliver before it because I have something to do for work tonight. I usually go about a week past my due date. I will start really visualizing the baby moving down and my cervix opening, starting tomorrow. DH is not at all interested in helping things along, considering the baby's head is engaged (so it is "right there" in his mind!).

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#3 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Sex and trying to walk around is all I'm doing. My husband is thrilled. given that we plan to schedule a vasectomy for not long after the birth and there is a 'waiting' window for that as well as for after the birth he knows he's looking at a dry spell.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#4 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 03:33 AM

Acupuncture. (in addition to the other suggestions already mentioned)

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#5 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well I didn't end up doing the things I said I was but I did learn the accupresure points. Nothing is really doing so far. Today is my birthday though. May be baby will want to give me the best birthday gift ever!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#6 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 03:46 PM

Sex!! (DH is thrilled because I've not really been in the mood most of the pregnancy).

Reflexology - just went today.

Acupuncture - trying it tomorrow.

Lots and lots of RRL tea.

EPO orally and vaginally.

Visualisation and talking to baby.

But I know I could still have weeks to go... (I'll be 41 weeks on Thurs but DD didn't come till 43+1)

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#7 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM

Twice now all I've had to do is BUY castor oil, not even take it -- and the babies popped out within 2 days all on their own!

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#8 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 AM

I found a recipe online somewhere and made my own labor balm concoction of:

Castor Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Lavender Essential Oil
Black Cohosh Tincture

I rub it on my belly at least twice a day. Started doing so around 38 weeks. My due date is tomorrow. It does seem to keep the skin moist and lubed up, but not really inducing that many contractions.

Maybe I should have used more of the Castor Oil in the mixture. I didn't really measure, I just kinda winged it! lol

Mom to a wild girl born via waterbirth [7-27-2007] Planning our 1st [8-24-10]
Editor-In-Chief of The Fashionable Housewife - www.thefashionablehousewife.com
#9 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 AM

What worked for me this time was:

1. Sex in the morning
2. Walking (not a ton, but much more than usual for me)
3. Swinging on the swings at the park
4. Walking again when I noticed contractions were starting (they came almost every night for a few weeks)

Last time I believe it was a combination of fresh pineapple and a huge winter storm that moved in.

#10 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Well yesterday I tried the blue and black cohosh with pumping for a few hours. Also drank 6 oz of castrol oil, which I will never do again. I had ctx but they didn't do anything. Was still only 1cm. The only reason I did it was cause I thought my water broke and the midwife didn't check me till we were about to go into the hospital. She had everything set up for me to give birth at my home. My stomach feels more squishy but think it might be cause the baby dropped lower. Worst day ever...

I am 41+4 weeks prego

Rebecca~mama to DD1-Alyssa 6/05, DD2-Kaylin 8/08, and new edition DD3-Reyana 8/10.
#11 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 05:04 PM

@stellarmomof3 - we have the same due date i just noticed! i will be 41 weeks on thursday too...well, that is if i make it to thursday. this is my first so i could see it but, tonight is the full moon and i'm hoping that will do the trick!
#12 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomestiKater View Post
@stellarmomof3 - we have the same due date i just noticed! i will be 41 weeks on thursday too...well, that is if i make it to thursday. this is my first so i could see it but, tonight is the full moon and i'm hoping that will do the trick!
Me too!!! I even had accupressure done on sonday to start labor but nothing happened. That is when I thought my water broke but maybe its just leaking.? Have no clue Midwife thinks its nothing but my stomach is totally different to me.

Rebecca~mama to DD1-Alyssa 6/05, DD2-Kaylin 8/08, and new edition DD3-Reyana 8/10.
#13 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomestiKater View Post
Wait, you mean 42 weeks right?

#14 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 10:41 PM

I did everything, but what I think did the trick was taking RRL tincture every couple hours, and doing some inversions on the stairs from spinning babies to improve position. I was 9 days overdue. Good luck!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#15 of 16 Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 AM

Sex WITH ORGASM. Use a vibe if you need to. The uterine contractions of orgasm really get things working, in combo with the semen benefits.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#16 of 16 Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM

sorry - i am pulling for you there in AK! I meant to say that Autumn Air and i have the same due date- 41 weeks tomorrow- i got all excited and had a typo- sorry about that!

how are you doing now StellarMom? I live in JT, CA and we have land in AK and go often- initially we were going to give birth there cause it's so hot here in the high dez in August...didn't know about the 2 week rule...glad i am here...good luck and love to you in your labor!!

Still prego here- really thought something was happening last night though- i had cramping and lots of movement during dinner and kept sweating a lot even though i was in a cool room- we switched on the daily show and i fell asleep assuming i would wake up with more signs...nothing so far.

we're gonna do the belly cast we'd been putting off now ...maybe that will be what makes it happen since i have to be so still ....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page