How are you sleeping with your newborn? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Now that we have a lot of babes finally here, what did you end up doing to sleep with your newborn? We have a queen mattress, cannot fit a king in our room. Husband is 6'4" so we have -no- room on the bed with us. Can you suggest what we can buy/do?? We can't sidecar a crib because the room is too small.

Thanks for your ideas!!
#2 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a king sized bed (DH is also 6'4, so as soon as we moved to our new house last year with a bigger bedroom, we got the king bed) so DS is in with us in the middle of the bed, but what about an arm's reach co-sleeper like this? This is what my friend does, as she only has a full sized bed and wanted her baby close.

S, wife to M, missing my angel baby (May 2009) and just welcomed our son, D, 7 lbs 2 oz, 20.5".
#3 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM

My baby is currently sleeping in a baby lounger seat (not really sure what to call it) next to the bed. I know it sounds weird, but DD1 did this too. Seems to me that a lot of newborns sleep better at a slight incline than flat on their backs. Flat on the back seems to cause the startle reflex too much. I'm also not comfortable sleeping with a newborn, but I'm sure she'll be in the bed a lot more once she's a few months old. She did end up in bed with me for an hour or so this morning when DH went to sleep with our older DD, who is sick. We only have a queen bed and DH gets nervous about rolling over when the babies are very little. I may get a mesh siderail so I can have her on my side without worrying she'll fall off.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#4 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM

We have a very small room. We do have a king size bed, but I am a bad sleeper. When Ds slept with us as a baby, I was miserable and I know he's going to be popping into our bed more once the baby gets here, so room will be limited. So, we did get a co-sleeper this time. We cant fit a full size in our room though, so I got the mini, and it fits perfectly. I dont know what the end result will be (since she wont come out of her hiding place!!), if the LO will sleep in it or if I will give up and suffer, but I am willing to try it.
#5 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
MJB

We have a king sized bed and plenty of room for Edie in the middle. And my littlest son, who sneaks in sometimes around 6-7.
When my boys were babies we all slept in a full-sized bed. My husband is 5'11" and I'm 5'7". When we finally bought the king it was such a relief!
#6 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 05:25 PM

We have a king bed, DS is between DH and I. And our new LO is on my other side, with a bed rail and padding on her other side.

Space-wise this has worked fine...but nursing both of them through the night? That is another matter.
#7 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have the Arm's Reach Mini Co-Sleeper. Last night Annabelle slept maybe 30 minutes in it. Otherwise she ended up sleeping on either my chest or DH's because she can't seem to stay asleep if she doesn't have human contact. She's only a day old though, so we'll see what the next couple of weeks brings!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 PM

We have the mini co-sleeper, but DS spends hardly any time in it. He's usually either nursing, or just sleeping next to me. Sometimes he starts there at about 11pm, but has been in bed with us every night after his 3am feeding.

I could hardly sleep at all when DD was an infant if she was in bed with us, but seem to have little problem keeping DS close and safe and sleeping as well.

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#9 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 01:07 AM

nak

We have a queen bed and an arm's reach cosleeper and it is working really well for us. In the first few days he spent a lot of time on my chest but now he seems to overheat if we do that for too long, so sometimes he fusses, I put him down in the cosleeper and he is more comfy there.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#10 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 AM

With my first we had a queen size bed, and got a meshy bed rail to put on my side of the bed eventually, but in the beginning just kept DD between us. My DH is not a small man, but with a newborn, it wasn't a big deal. We sort of scrunched down towards the foot of the bed a bit, and kept her up by our heads, with a minimal use of pillows (I have a U shaped body pillow that we shared, and it would come up behind me, and I'd put in under my head that way. No pillow loose by baby.

This time we have a king size. But we also have a 3 year old who isn't convinced that she isn't cosleeping anymore. Tee hee. We'll see how that works out. In a few days, I hope.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#11 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 AM

I'm not sleeping with this newborn yet, but this is what we did last time and plan to repeat this time. I had a co-sleeper when we had a queen (with ds). Hated it, it never got used as more than a shelf. We got a king before dd came, even though we literally only have about 18" clearance on either side of the bed. It was worth it. I don't use the room for anything but sleeping, so why not take up the whole room with it? I also use an Amby bed next to the king... it's footprint is small enough that it *just* fits between bed & wall on my side of the room. It gets used mostly for naptimes or sometimes the first stretch of sleep after the first couple weeks.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#12 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 03:36 PM

We just got a king bed a few nights before he was born and thank goodness for that. We planned on co-sleeping exclusively so we don't have a crib or bassinet or anything. My mom did just buy us a basket that we're making a liner and pad for (like a Moses Basket) that I'll use for naps once I'm up and more mobile. At night Asa is in bed with us all night. He sleeps in between us and when I roll over he comes with me so he's on whatever side I'm facing. Usually he sleeps right up against me and that is how I sleep best because I know right where he is. DP and I have been 'fighting' over who gets to cuddle him at night....lol. When I get out of bed to use the bathroom I come back and DP has pulled Asa close to him. We have a friend who is going to borrow us a bassinet eventually but I'm not sure how much use it will get. At least for a couple of months.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#13 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 PM

DH and I slept in a queen sized bed with a queen when DD was an infant until recently. Our one big baby purchase this time around was a king-sized bed. The crib is still side-carred and waiting for the new baby. DD sleeps between us on the bed most nights. We are loving having the extra space.

''''

#14 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM

We have a king bed too and we have a little soft sided co-sleeper/bassinet sort of thing that we stick in the middle of the bed and baby sleeps there. Ideally, I'd like to just cuddle up, but I don't trust myself or DH with a LO that size.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#15 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 PM

I would never be able to put a newborn bwtween me and my DH. He sleeps like the dead! With DS, he was always my other side and we had a bed rail on the side of the bed (cant push up against the wall due to vents).
#16 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 05:05 PM

For my first 2 I had a queen bed with a side rail. My ex is 6 4" as well. We each slept on our sides for the most part on the edges of the bed. I dunno, we just made it work.

I had a girlfriend who's bedroom was small, they put a king futon on the floor and fit alot better as they were able to walk on it, etc. Not sure if your husband at 6 4" would want to lay down and get up off the floor that long though

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page