PLEASE HELP Got mastitis - suggestions? UPDATE #8 - Mothering Forums
August 2010 > PLEASE HELP Got mastitis - suggestions? UPDATE #8
HaikuMommy's Avatar HaikuMommy 08:40 PM 08-14-2010
HELP: 102.4 fever, chills, flu symptoms, engorged, lumpy, pain, Had it w both prev DDs. Taking Tylenol, warm/cool compresses, bf often, already taking Keflex for catheter-acquired UTI. Suffering! Suggestions? Tylenol not bringing fever down.

DH shuts down when he doesnt eat protein, and when stressed by worrying about me, he hasnt eaten properly and is sleepy/cranky. DDs r being easy at the moment, not for long. Help!

onemomma's Avatar onemomma 10:24 PM 08-14-2010
Oh Momma, I wouldn't wish Mastitis on my worst enemy!! That's awful.
Here's a few homeopathics that have helped me tremendously:

Phytolacca oil topically applied, or as a prepared homeopathic pellet taken orally
Lyphdiaral Cream by Pascoe applied topically
Lymph-a-derm cream by BioMed applied topically

In any topical application you would avoid the nipple, but rub from behind the lump or sore area toward the nipple to promote drainage.

Otherwise can you lay baby on the bed, kneel above and suspend your nipple to them and nurse that way? Also good is sticking your breast in a bowl of hot water that way... soften things up, soothes a bit....

Good luck!
lunarlady's Avatar lunarlady 11:02 PM 08-14-2010
So sorry you are dealing with this on top of having a newborn. Nursing in a warm bath helped me, as did lots of bf with baby's chin pointed toward the plugged and infected area. I hope it clears soon!
MammaB21's Avatar MammaB21 11:12 PM 08-14-2010
I just got over mastitis. It's really horrible, ESPECIALLY with a brand newbie baby. I'm sorry you're suffering through it as well.

Here's what I did that seemed to help:

Ginger root wrapped in cheese cloth boiled in water (or in a crock pot with water). You can put the ginger root directly on the breast and you can put wash cloths soaked in the water on your breast as well. It increases blood flow and helps move things along.

Frequent nursing. Don't go more than 2 hours on the infected breast without nursing. Always offer that side first but be sure the other side doesn't get neglected.

Vitamin C and echinacea. I have some combo pills I've been taking to help boost my immune system and fight this thing off.

LOTS of rest. My midwife told me to get back in bed and act as if I had had the baby yesterday. Seriously. Rest!!!

One more trick is that the football hold is said to drain the milk from the armpit side of the breast and a classic cradle hold is said to drain the milk from the inside of the breast. So if you can tell where the clog is use the appropriate hold to get the milk flowing from that particular part of the breast.

I started feeling a fever coming on in the evening. Woke up the next morning with a temp of 101.5 which stayed throughout that day. But doing all of the things mentioned that day I woke up the next morning a new woman. So I think it worked. And P.S: If you're comfy with it you can take Advil for the fever, might work better. The no Advil rule is just for pregnancy.

Oh ya, ETA: and a glass of wine or a beer. Helps blood flow and stress both of which can lead to a quicker recovery. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Annoia's Avatar Annoia 04:27 PM 08-15-2010
I just recovered from mastitis. I'm so sorry to hear you have it! Be careful the fever - if you need to, go to a doctor ASAP.

I recovered pretty quickly by using a cold compress between nursing, and a warm compress right before nursing (contrast therapy). My cold compresses were those really long maxi pads with water/herbal water poured on them and frozen. I could wrap the maxi pad around the red, swollen area (and it felt like heaven). Warm compresses were wash cloths in a crock pot filled with water and set on warm.

Lots of fluid and Vit C, and the homeopathic phytolacca (in a sugar pill that went under my tongue).

Tylenol or Motrin for pain/fever.

My nipples were sore, so I sat outside in the sunshine topless to air them out.

I also used a breast pump. To be honest, it hurt SO BAD to nurse on that side that I couldn't have cared less if that breast dried up and blew away. So I gave myself a break on that boob and just pumped for a few sittings to empty the breast. So baby nursed on the ok side, and I pumped on the mastitis side.

I hope you feel better very quickly!!
CrunchyChristianMama's Avatar CrunchyChristianMama 05:18 PM 08-15-2010
I actually just read a study that showed women recovered faster from mastitis by taking probiotics than they did antibiotics. So maybe dose up on those! So, so sorry you're dealing with this!
rainbow_mandala's Avatar rainbow_mandala 09:04 PM 08-15-2010
I'm dropping in from another DDC to add a couple things that really helped me when I had mastitis with my son.

--Cut off a slice of a potato and place it face down where your breast is red and hot to touch. Keep the potato there for awhile, about 10 to 20 minutes. When you take off you should notice a substantial difference in the redness and heat. It literally draws out the heat (learned this from our holistic pediatrician at the time).

--the homeopathic belladonna is also really good for reducing fever. I can't remember the dosage, you'll need to check with your midwife or someone you trust about that.

--echinacea helped a lot as well.

--soaking the infected breast in salt water before your baby nurses for about 10 minutes helps a lot, too. Fill a bowl with some warm water, add about a bit of salt and then lean over the bowl, submerging your breast, making sure the water covers the area where it's infected. This remedy also helps a lot with plugged ducts.
HaikuMommy's Avatar HaikuMommy 06:19 AM 08-16-2010
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going to the ER, even though I REALLY didn't want to -- as my left breast got red and inflamed over almost the entire thing. It's actually red exactly where my ill-fitting bra covered it.

The ER doctor gasped when she saw it, and said "That is a bad infection." They were considering admitting me to the hospital but after doing some bloodwork and dosing me up with some strong IV antibiotics, they sent me home with a rx for Flagyl. (I'm taking acidophillus too.) I'm supposed to go see my ob/gyn tomorrow for follow-up.

I had to leave my 2yo DD and newborn DD with my sister for 6 hours while I got treated. I cried so much for the first couple hours because I just wanted to be home with my babies.

My symptoms are still exactly the same as before I went to the ER. I hope the abx are working.
Annoia's Avatar Annoia 03:41 PM 08-16-2010
Oh, I'm so sorry you experienced that. I think you made a good call going to the ER, even though it was very difficult to leave your children for 6 hours. You don't want to mess around with infections and fevers, and end up hospitalized.

I hope the treatment works really, really soon. Keep us posted.
HaikuMommy's Avatar HaikuMommy 06:43 AM 08-17-2010
I was hopeful this morning, as there was less swelling and pain, more stinging and itchiness. I also had more energy. I went to my dr appt and even shopped for nursing bras that fit properly (only found 1). But now I have a soft lump forming which I'm guessing will turn out to be an abcess. I have other issues, too, like dry sore throat, diarrhea, etc. and I can't tell what is normal postpartum stuff and what isn't. It's making me paranoid. I did lose 30+ pounds in 8 days, (10 baby, 20 water retention) so maybe my body is just going a lil crazy? I feel bewildered and scared.
AutumnAir's Avatar AutumnAir 09:13 AM 08-17-2010
mama!! I had absolutely horrible mastitis with my first, and I can vividly recall how awful it was. My infection was so bad that none of the natural remedies did anything for it at all, and the only thing that worked was a really strong long dose of abx (which normally I am completely against). Sending you lots and lots of healing vibes and make sure you get heaps of rest - get back into bed and stay there!
Annoia's Avatar Annoia 02:45 PM 08-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaikuMommy View Post
I was hopeful this morning, as there was less swelling and pain, more stinging and itchiness. I also had more energy. I went to my dr appt and even shopped for nursing bras that fit properly (only found 1). But now I have a soft lump forming which I'm guessing will turn out to be an abcess. I have other issues, too, like dry sore throat, diarrhea, etc. and I can't tell what is normal postpartum stuff and what isn't. It's making me paranoid. I did lose 30+ pounds in 8 days, (10 baby, 20 water retention) so maybe my body is just going a lil crazy? I feel bewildered and scared.
OH OH OH! That just sounds awful and miserable. I am so sorry this is dragging on.

I don't have any advice other than drink drink drink TONS of fluids (and whatever sounds good - I normally don't drink sports drinks, but I pounded down the Gatorade and Powerade when I had mastitis cuz that's what appealed to me) and stay in contact with your care provider. Anything starts feeling different, give them a call.

The diarrhea could just be from the heavy antibiotics (they can do that, sometimes). Yogurt and probiotics might ease it a bit. Another good reason to drink tons of fluids - you don't want to dehydrate from nursing and diarrhea on top of everything else!!

If you can, try and go bra-less. It's messy during feedings (I leak everywhere), but I've found not even trying to put a bra on really helps.

When I had mastitis it was accompanied with muscular aches. I felt like someone beat me with a bat. And mine was relatively mild. So it's possible your body is reacting to the mastitis, considering how severe it sounds (I've heard you can develop flu-like symptoms).

I really pray this clears up for you ASAP!!!!
Annoia's Avatar Annoia 09:55 PM 08-23-2010
How are you doing HaikuMommy? Did things clear up?
Up