Postpartum Care? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2010, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh man, so this will sound a bit silly of me but I haven't even thought about what the heck I'm going to need for *ME* after the baby comes! I don't even have any nursing bras or anything. This is crazy last minute but does anyone have any recommendations for things that I just MUST have for the first week or two postpartum? Anything I can send my partner out to get would be great too (I just don't feel much like doing ANYTHING right now.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 AM

I wouldn't get more than one maybe two nursing bras and that should be something soft (like a nursing tank or sleeping bra). I know so many women whose breasts changed dramatically after their milk came in (talking several cup sizes in a few days here).

Other than that:
-nursing pads. I leak through every.single.kind of cloth/wool/cup version I've ever made or laid hands on. So I've given up and keep a box of disposable ones on hand.

-lanolin or other nipple cream

-soft, comfy clothes

-some sorta water bottle that you can drink from without sitting up (very nice when you're exhausted and finally have a nursing, sleeping baby)

-pads, pads and more pads (sposie or mama cloth)

-anything else that provides you with comfort (a special tea, some frozen treats, juices, etc)

that's all I can think of!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 AM

I really like having ice packs/herbal packs to put in underwear until swelling goes down. They gave me some at the hospital, but it's worth making your own if you're homebirthing.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
Old 08-17-2010, 02:03 AM

A peri bottle (the hospital will give you one if you are birthing there). I also made a lot of use of the sitz bath from the hospital because of my episiotomy.

Witch hazel (I got the natural alcohol-free kind)

Herbal tea for nursing (I just got the TM "Mother's Milk" tea)

More pads than you think you will need!

Healthy snacks that are easy to eat one-handed

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 08-17-2010, 04:18 AM

I make witch hazel soaked maxi pads and keep them in the freezer. They feel SO good. They're not for constant use, just as a "treat."

A couple of nursing tops/bras at least. I'm a huge fan of Bravado, and wear the tanks pretty much nonstop.

Lanolin. Yes. The nipples can get pretty beat up in those first weeks.

Stool softener. I had a tear, which made those first BMs extra scary, but I hear it can be a little more exciting than you'd like even without stitches. I figure better to be on the safe side and make sure things stay gentle, between labor induced hemi's and everything else going on down there.

Food. For everyone. Having frozen soups and stuff made in advance to pull out and eat when nobody wanted to cook was awesome. Having MILs cook for us was also awesome.

Lots of things to drink from readily available/stashed around the house where you might nurse. As soon as you sit down to nurse, you realize you're thirsty too!

Lots of compassion for yourself and patience. Those first days are a time to really lay low and rest. It's a heck of a workout, and you'll need the recovery time. Be gentle, and have backup hands to help you with everything.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
Old 08-17-2010, 05:19 AM

I second the above advice given:
~ nursing tanks/sleep nurse bra's (I ended up not having anything and had my mom go and buy me a nurse bra... it became too small once my milk came in)
~ frozen pads (even if you just use water.... feels sooooo good)
~ lotsa pads, of varying kinds (overnighters, longs, etc)
~ sitz bath, I LOVED my sitz
~ magazines/book, water bottle, and lotsa snacks in a small basket... grab the basket and bring with you wherever you settle down for nursing
~ I struggle with getting enough water: so my rule is to drink, drink, drink while I am nursing
~ embrace the mentality that you earned, deserve, need and is necessary to stay down/in bed as long as you need for full recovery. I was able to do it for almost 2 weeks, THANK YOU dh!

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 AM

Let's see....
  • Personal Chef
  • Personal Servant
  • Maid
  • Nanny
  • Massage therapist
  • Errand Boy

LOL! Just kidding, but I wish! Getting a little overwhelmed by the constant cleaning that a family of six takes. Glad my mom will be here.

Ditto what previous posts said.

I, also, love Bravado nursing bras. Well worth the price.
Slushy condoms...an unlubricated condom with 1.25" of rubbing alcohol, tied like a balloon, then wrapped with another condom, and tossed in the freezer. Voila soft and pliable ice pack. You wedge it on the perinium vaginal area like a hotdog. Best thing ever invented.
Pads, Pads, and more pads.

MonP'titBoudain~You should take a look at these. http://www.mymilkies.com/
You only get one in a container and only use it while nursing. My friend said they were a life saver! She always had an over abundance of milk. They sell them on Amazon.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

User Tag List