Baby Boy Arrived - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2010, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday, Aug. 20, at 2:42 pm, our baby boy decided to greet his family!

I woke a little before 9 am to a sudden urge to pee, to not make it to the bathroom in time. While waiting to finish, I realized, it wasn't going to and decided to do the pad check. Didn't take long for the pad to soak and even then, every time I stood up, I gushed water! Informed my poor husband that had just got off of work and was in dire need of sleep. He stayed a wake doing a couple minor preparations, while I waited for labor to kick in. I called the midwife about this time as well as my doula to keep them informed (decided to not do an unnasissted even though my doula had no qualms if I chose that route). My doula showed a little after 10 and my husband went to sleep. By this point my labor had started but was still in the beginning and slow. The only problem I found early on was that I couldn't tell when I was starting my contractions because I had burning, extruciating pain that began at my c/s scar and took some time to move up. After explaining this to my doula, she began to feel my belly when she saw me in pain at the scar and noted it was all combined. Around 11, my contractions moved closer being roughly 2-4 minutes apart. I wanted to head out for a walk, but when my babysitter got here I was ready for the spa instead. I was in the spa for about an hour when my midwifes showed (they were doing house calls and had to finish up with the client they just began). As the miwives entered, I asked my doula to get my husband. At this point, the only pain I was feeling was all centered around my scar (midwives believe I have adhesions that the contractions were tormenting) and it was the worst feeling I have ever felt, I might even say worse than my pitocin induction with my first. I felt bad for waking my poor husband, but needed his support since I had no energy left and was afraid I might collapse in the spa. He hopped in and for the next hour or so, we got baby down to position. I had wanted to birth baby in a more squatting position, but he had other plans. The midwife thought it best for me to float on my back so she could see what was going on and felt a bit of the cervix still being stubborn, so she held it down while baby finished up. That was definitely the problem since almost immediately, he moved further down and there I was with a bulge waiting for the next contraction to finish it up. His head never collapsed which didn't help and his shoulder got a little stuck. After maybe 3 more huge contractions/ pushes he was out and in my arms. My two oldest got to see him crown and underwater, then after he was completely out, they hopped in the spa naked! I wish we had gotten a picture of that one! Our 3rd (20 months), woke up this morning saying, baby, baby!

I not only got the waterbirth I had wanted since I first heard about it at age 16, but I also got my homebirth (I was a planned homebirth, so it is in a way my legacy) and of course the VBAC that I was told would be dangerous by the OB who works at the hospital with only a .97% success VBAC rate!

Stats: 9#2oz, 21 3/4 in. long 14 cm head (that never collapsed), no name yet and nursing so awesome!

And all the previous birth stories really made me feel confident! Thank you all, even if you didn't see me around (I still lurked)!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 PM

Congrats on your successful HBAC! Welcome baby boy!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 PM

YAY! Congrats!!

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
Old 08-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Congrats!!!

Rebecca~mama to DD1-Alyssa 6/05, DD2-Kaylin 8/08, and new edition DD3-Reyana 8/10.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:17 PM

What a wonderful birth! Congrats mama!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 08-22-2010, 01:33 AM

Awesome Mama! What an empowering birth! Congratulations

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 08-22-2010, 04:57 AM

That's wonderful, congrats on your HWBAC! And thanks for posting your story, all those positive accounts help us other VBAC/HBAC mamas so much!

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

Old 08-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Congratulations mama!! Welcome baby boy!!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 PM

Thank you very much for sharing your amazing story! It sounds like it was a little rough-going but definitely worth it! Congratulations on getting the waterbirth you always dreamed of, the HBAC you were told would be dangerous and healthy baby boy! Hope you are resting often and enjoying your baby moon! Congratulations again! You did it!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Awesome, so happy for you! Congratulations on the birth of your son.

User Tag List