Poop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-26-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD2 seems to have passed all her meconium in the first 24 hours. Now, day 4, we haven't seen anything but pee since the meconium stopped, though we can smell milky toots, there's no milk poops yet.

How long did it take for your LO to start pooping? She doesn't seem distressed, and I've seen that it can be normal for infants to be very variable in poop frequency, but this seems odd to me.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#2 of 10 Old 08-26-2010, 02:39 PM

I think I'd call your ped and check in about this. You might try a little "stimulation" with a rectal thermometer first, but a glycerin suppository might be a good idea too. At that age there should absolutely be more poop!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#3 of 10 Old 08-26-2010, 02:59 PM

I would call the ped but would not do any anal stimulation. That can really backfire and lead to your child needing that every time before being able to go. It does seem a while for a newborn to go without poops-although maybe mine is just a poop machine! She pooped like 20 times a day at firdt.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#4 of 10 Old 08-26-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

We have our 3 day PP midwife home visit this afternoon, so we'll talk about it then. Just wondering if we were the only ones seeing this phenomenon.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#5 of 10 Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 PM

DS also did all his meconium poops within the first 24 hours. Actually, he crapped, I went to change him and it just kept coming and coming and coming. I'd wipe the poop, go to do up a new diaper and he'd poop again. It was like a freaking fountain! After that it was only half a day and he was pooping like crazy again. I change about 8 or more poopy diapers a day. Mind you he eats super frequently and like its his last meal so I guess some of what goes in, has to come out LOL.

I would definitely talk to your midwife and see what she has to say.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#6 of 10 Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That would concern me a bit too. As they get older it doesn't bother me as much for them to go a few days, but I think newborns should definitely be going multiple times a day.

My older DD would get some constipation and whenever we took her to the chiro she would fill 3 diapers in the next hour. It might be worth a shot if you know a good pediatric chiro.

Hope it gets resolved soon and if it's all waiting in there for you that you've got a really good diaper ready!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 10 Old 08-27-2010, 02:59 AM

It took almost a week for my dd to start pooping regularly with milky poops. We changed a lot of clean diapers because her toots were very convincing. Nobody was too concerned about it except us! The longest she went was probably 4 days then she had some transitional poop!
#8 of 10 Old 08-27-2010, 03:38 AM

My DD just started milk poops today. That's day 5 for us. I'm sure you'll see something soon. Patience!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#9 of 10 Old 08-27-2010, 06:13 AM

We had this problem with DD shortly after she was home from the hospital, she went a long time without pooping. We called the maternity and they said newborns can sometimes go up to 10-14 days without pooping if they are breastfed. It just means that your milk is so perfect for baby that he/she is using every drop and nothing goes to waste. It's very rare for a breastfed baby to get constipated. I wouldn't worry.

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#10 of 10 Old 08-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnfairy76 View Post
We had this problem with DD shortly after she was home from the hospital, she went a long time without pooping. We called the maternity and they said newborns can sometimes go up to 10-14 days without pooping if they are breastfed. It just means that your milk is so perfect for baby that he/she is using every drop and nothing goes to waste. It's very rare for a breastfed baby to get constipated. I wouldn't worry.
DDC crashing... this exactly. Breastmilk is a natural laxative and bf babies should not be constipated at all. DD would often only go once a week. they said i just had some good stuff and that dd was a pro at absorbing all that good stuff. lol sounds silly but its true. I wouldn't worry about it unless she goes over 2 weeks. As long as she is peeing plenty, be thrilled that you don't have a million poopy diapers to change.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page