How's the breastfeeding going? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hang in there, it gets easier.

For me the sore nipples lasted a couple of weeks. Using nipple butter and avoiding wearing anything tight over them (despite the leaking) really helped me. It's especially difficult in the beginning when your breasts are so engorged and baby's mouth is so small, but if the latch/discomfort doesn't improve as the engorgement goes down and when your breast is emptied, then yes, definitely see an LC.

The leaking also improved for me as my body started to regulate my supply a bit better. Still working on that...had just gotten a bit of improvement in my oversupply/overactive letdown issues, then DH made me some Mother's Milk tea yesterday (because I'm out of other kinds of tea) and here we go again with all the spraying and ensuing spit up and major burps.

Grover...have you tried swaddling the baby (and other "Happiest Baby on the Block" techniques) first? It may help a bit. I remember how frustrating it was in the early days, baby screaming because he can't find the breast, even though you're holding it in his mouth. Sometimes I would get him started sucking on my finger first, then change to the breast.

And though I know people recommend using your finger to open the jaw, I actually had better luck putting my finger behind his chin and using it to hold his mouth to my breast better. It seemed to help our angle.

Also I highly recommend trying different positions...when he was smaller and we were still learning, the football hold happened to work best...now I have better luck with the cross-cradle hold.

Keep in mind this advice comes from someone with all of 7 weeks experience, so take it with a grain (or more) of salt!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Nursing in general is going really well for us now. I too have lots of milk and several huge let downs, which were leaving DS choking and wheezing and squirming, but most of the time now he handles them well and doesn't need to pull off. It was quite frustrating for the first 5 weeks though - I'd be constantly fighting to cover my nipple with a burp cloth after he pulled off as milk was spraying all over his face, the couch, the bed, the floor, etc. and express some of the milk, while he was crying and squirming. I would always have to have a cloth under my breast, and another one over him (often with a bib too) to prevent milk getting onto us.

I also had a bruised right nipple for the longest time because DS had a poorer latch on that side, but as he's gotten bigger and I got more strict about him having a really wide mouth before I'd let him latch, it's gone away.

But DS is up to 12 lbs now (he's 7 weeks tomorrow) - up from 7'2, so it's obviously working for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlandnl View Post
I am startign to wonder if I should pump too, she's nursing every 2-3 hours max, sometimes more, and I am still leaking through breast pads doubled up in an hour or less. I have to put a doubled prefold over the breast she's not drinking from while she's nursing. My breast pads are 1 layer of fleece 2 layers of flannel, and wearing 2 of them in each bra cup isnt' enough my shirts are still soaked... pumping would relieve some of that I would think, but then what am I gonna do with that milk, I know I can freeze it, but I never leave my kids till they are at least 3 years old.... any recs for a better breast pad? should I going sposie? will they hold more?
Yes, the sposies to hold more, unfortunately. I used both the Lansinoh and the Johnson's, and I have a preference for the Johnson's because they aren't individually wrapped (so less waste) and they don't fold in half, which comes in handy when my milk is spraying everywhere because DS pulled off to be burped and I have to pull my bra back up to cover my nipple. I kept getting the sticky side of the Lansinoh stuck to me and then I'd have to fight it to get it right side out.

I do also have these reusable ones, which hold more. In fact, I don't think they've leaked through at all. They don't feel great after awhile though - they leave me feeling kinda itchy after several hours, I guess because they don't breathe, so then I switch back to cotton/fleece ones. They are quite large though and so there's extra fabric around the edge - you would need to wear a padded bra with them in public not to see them.

S, wife to M, missing my angel baby (May 2009) and just welcomed our son, D, 7 lbs 2 oz, 20.5".
Old 09-07-2010, 07:22 PM

3 weeks in and still having probs. the left nipple is showing a little crack and it's sore and hurts! i was so happy to have at least one side that worked. but yesterday i got her to latch on the right side for the first time in over a week. it hurts like hell and i'm in an extremely uncomfortable position (side lying but my bed side arm twisted and holding my breast in c-position). i'm so happy she latched longer than 3 sucks but i know the latch is shallow but i can barely crane my neck to see what's going on and my other hand is holding her against me. if i move it gets worse. but she latched! so at least that's progress. i'm upset the left side now hurts b/c that was my go to breast. she took the right side only once yesterday but twice today. i feel like if this huge crack would heal i could focus on the latch but it seems like a catch 22. i've been doing lanolin and lately have been doing warm salt water immersions which seem to help? today i'm going to try coconut oil. if that doesn't work then tomorrow i'll try calendula oil. i had no idea bf'ing could be this difficult and frustrating

DD: 8/10

Old 09-07-2010, 09:00 PM

things are going great. joshua nursed within 30 min of birth. he seems to be a cluster feeder. eats every 1/2 hour for 2 hours (so basically nonstop for 2 hours), then sleeps 4-6 hours. my milk came in about 24 hours after he was born. he was 9lb .5oz at birth, 14 hours later when we left the hospital he was 9lb .3oz. not sure what he weighs now at 3 days old.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
We've tried an eyedropper, and a small sippy cup. Most of it ends up on her clothes or ours.
Tricky! Any tips appreciated!!
But I sympathise. Two weeks in and we're still having problems, pain really gets in the way of feeding, it's very unfortunate - if anyone has any further advice it would be much appreciated!

Best,

G
x
i did cup feeding with a shot glass and it worked (when she was calm) but now we've moved onto using a syringe and tube method (my mw gave me one, i think it's a butterfly clip or something? you just cut off the needle and give it to her with your finger or breast) that's been less messy than the cup method and calms her enough for me to work on giving her the breast that hurts me.

also, my baby is a strong agressive shallow latcher. any advice on how to correct her latch? I cant' get the breast in fast enough when she opens her mouth and as soon as i flip her bottom lip she sucks it back in. her jaw is like a vice, just using my finger doesn't seem to work...

Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought it was going really well. Now, she will be 1 month old tomorrow, I am dealing with forceful let down (still) and oversupply. She's becoming really gassy from it which makes her colicy at night and her stools are getting more green and thin. Poor little thing can hardly keep up with how fast it comes out and how much there is. I'm going to start trying the suggestions on kellymom.com though and see if things will improve.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 PM

DD is 3.5 weeks old and I am sure that I have my second clogged duct since she was born. The first one I got resolved by taking a hot shower before feeding, and aligning her chin with the red part of my breast for a few feedings, so I am working on that again. The same breast, and I read that it's common once you've had one to have another. Otherwise things are definitely going better, I am much less tender, but I got super engorged yesterday to the point of having a fever and that was No Fun. I think I have to get a pump to use for those times; I am not very good at expressing a lot of milk by hand.

Amanda, livin' and lovin' in Memphis w/ Brandon & Eliza (8.15.10)! 6/2009.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 PM

ok, when i posted tuesday morning things were going great. monday/monday night i had the right amound of milk. but my milk just keeps coming, i am now suffering engorgement. i had oversupply the first two times too, sigh... those long stretches he sleeps at night are great for sleeping, but not great for my painful boobs. last night i nursed him on the right side at 9pm, went to sleep, nursed him on the left side in the middle of the night, slept till 7am. so by that time it had been 5 hours since he nursed on the left, ouch! and 10 hours since he had nursed on the right, OOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!! My breasts were so hard and painful. The last two mornings I've been having DD drink a bit of the milk. it's tempting to have her drink a lot, but i've had her just drink enough to ease the pain. hopefully my supply will regulate soon!

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkim View Post
s soon as i flip her bottom lip she sucks it back in. her jaw is like a vice, just using my finger doesn't seem to work...
nak. this makes me wonder if the frenulum (sp?) at the lower lip is short? does she suck her bottom lip in all the time? that can cause latch issues as well as baby being tongue tied. is there anyway you can get yourself to a lactation consultant? you are doing such an awesome job persevering! hang in there!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
nak. this makes me wonder if the frenulum (sp?) at the lower lip is short? does she suck her bottom lip in all the time? that can cause latch issues as well as baby being tongue tied. is there anyway you can get yourself to a lactation consultant? you are doing such an awesome job persevering! hang in there!
she's not toungue tied. she can stick her tongue out no problem and only sucks her bottom lip in after she passes out from nursing. i've been to see a LC. i might go again to see about latch but i don't know what more they can do than my research online and trial and error at home. i think if my nipple would heal quicker i'd be able to handle this with a little more grace.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:04 AM

nak. I'm also more on the oversupply end of the scale, but we are doing allright. Had one night of galactostasia on day... 3 or 4 with feaver and the works and some engorgement again yesterday (2.5weeks pp). but DD is nursing great (latched on within ten minutes after the birth) and even though she is toungue tied doesn't seem to have any problems - she had gained 7oz to her birth weight by 1w pp and was up to 1lb 5oz by two weeks pp. she's definitely working on her chunkyness...

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

User Tag List