How's the breastfeeding going? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2010, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those breastfeeding, how's it going?

We've been having some troubles, Quinn lost 12% of his body weight so we've had to supplement with formula and pump to get him to gain weight, plus use a nipple shield to get him to latch properly. It's been hard to have to supplement and feel like I'm not providing enough to feed him properly, but I'm focusing on the fact he's getting what he needs, and still having a lot of breastmilk.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 06:38 AM

We are lucky here and it's going perfectly. I didn't have any prOblems with my son and hoping that continues with baby girl.

I hope you can stop supplementing soon. Have you tried posting in the breastfeeding forum for advice?

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 08-27-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

It's funny, I keep going there to post, but I don't know what I need advice on! I'm pumping (when he's not feeding every hour!!) and started taking Domperidone today; I guess I'm more just after reassurance that I'm not a terrible mum for it!

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
Old 08-27-2010, 09:12 AM

Breastfeeding is going great here. He latched on like a champ within 30 mins of his birth and has a much better latch than DS 1 had in the beginning. I'm tandem nursing and it's actually going pretty good. DS1 wants to nurse more than he was, which I anticipated. Sometimes he has to wait other times I nurse them both at the same time or if DS2 is sleeping DS1 gets my lap all to himself. DH wants me to wean DS1, but I've told him no. I tried when I first found out I was pregnant and it felt very wrong to me, so I stopped trying. I know he'll wean in time and hey, with sick season coming I'm totally cool with him getting more of an immunity boost! DS2 definitely gets plenty of milk, though.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm having a difficult time. DS spent 8 days in NICU before we could bring him home and I pumped during that time and he was given bottles. He's BF'd a few times but that's it. He will lose it when I try to BF him (and seeing as though in NICU, he popped a hole in his lung from crying, I obviously want to calm him ASAP). So I'm pretty much exclusively pumping, which is exhausting. Hard to find the time, then turn around and wash everything. Have tried the nipple shield and it works for so long then he gets agitated. I never expected this since DD nursed SO WELL!

Colleen (35) married to Brian (35) 11/06; DD Emilia 6/6/08; DS Breckin 8/2/10
Old 08-27-2010, 03:51 PM

I feel like we are doing pretty well, but this is my first go round and I have flashes of worry that I am not doing things right. DD will be two weeks old on Sunday, and I believe that I am over the initial soreness, although I sometimes still have some pain when she initially latches on. She is making plenty of wet/dirty diapers, so I think that she's getting plenty to eat, but we have issues with getting her latched on. She does not cooperate very well AT ALL with the cradle hold, so I usually nurse her in bed or with the clutch hold. Just yesterday I discovered the clutch and it's much easier to get her latched on that way. When I try with the cradle hold she fights and fights, and gets herself all riled up.

Amanda, livin' and lovin' in Memphis w/ Brandon & Eliza (8.15.10)! 6/2009.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM

We are doing good now. It took some time though. He wouldn't latch at all on one side and his latch was pretty crappy on the other side. We used nipple shields for about a week and now we don't need them anymore. He is eating like crazy though. I got an hour of sleep last night. Thats it.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 PM

DS is gaining well, but I have oversupply/overactive letdown issues, so every time he feeds we then spend forever dealing with burps and spit up, which really upset him, but he doesn't burp well when he is screaming. I've been block feeding which has helped a bit but not enough. He no longer wants to comfort suck. Forget simply nursing him back to sleep at night, every time he wakes I'm up for at least 2-3 hours.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 08-27-2010, 06:08 PM

i'm having a really difficult time. day one she had a bad latch but i was so excited she was bf'ing and it didn't hurt immediately. now i have a serious cracked nipple and she's refusing nursing that side, so it's engorged and looks like a mess and makes me cry. i try to nurse her there every third time or so but all she does is pop on, give a suck or two and pop off. it's so painful. luckily the tissue is healing, we're on day 8 now but the pain is not letting up. at least the left side is unfazed but today it feels SO sore from overuse. i think today is a cluster day of feeding. i've tried black tea bags, cabbage leaves, lots of lanolin but the fact that she's being so difficult the latch now is making it harder on me. we've taken her to a chiropractor but there doesn't seem to be much of a change.

DD: 8/10

Old 08-28-2010, 02:53 PM

I think I may need some help. I never got any sleep again last night. He is comfort nursing. I was up until 4:30 AM because everytime I'd put him down so I could go to sleep he'd wake up and want to nurse again. I cannot keep doing this. I have a 22 month old that needs me during the day and me running on no sleep is NOT good. He sleeps perfectly wonderfully during the day but the minute night time hits its a whole different ballgame.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Old 08-28-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimestersdoula View Post
I think I may need some help. I never got any sleep again last night. He is comfort nursing. I was up until 4:30 AM because everytime I'd put him down so I could go to sleep he'd wake up and want to nurse again. I cannot keep doing this. I have a 22 month old that needs me during the day and me running on no sleep is NOT good. He sleeps perfectly wonderfully during the day but the minute night time hits its a whole different ballgame.
Posted via Mobile Device
DDC crashing.. I hate to say it but some kids have a stronger sucking reflex. My dd did and the only thing that allowed me to get some sleep was giving her a pacifier at night after she was done nursing. Swaddling also helped keep her warm and comfy.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
Old 08-28-2010, 07:11 PM

It's okay. Things were great until we got thrush, now I've been fighting that for 3 weeks. It's on me at this point, I got it cleared from his mouth thankfully. I also am only able to feed from my right side due to prior breast surgery so I'm worried about my supply - he's been cluster feeding a lot and acts like he's starving. I've been taking fenugreek all along and started taking More Milk Plus yesterday. I'll just be happy when I have enough milk to pump for a freezer stash, as of now he pretty much drains me and he eats every hour on average during the day.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 PM

Hmmmm - I/We have mastitis, thrush, a cracked nipple, and, up until yesterday, baby had tongue tie. I'm on antibiotics for the mastitis (and also taking asidophilis pills), nystatin for the thrush (cream for me, oral solution for baby), Lanisoh for the cracked nipple, and baby had her frenulum clipped yesterday. The frenulum clip seems to have helped alot with soreness, proper latch, and draining the breast. In the beginning, I kept telling myself that at two weeks ppd everything would be better. Now, I'm telling myself that one month will make all the difference.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:56 PM

We've been so lucky that it's going really well. My only complaint really is this horrible engorgement. We're at 6 days now so I hope it lets up soon. I'm still not able to sit on my bottom so we've only done nursing via side-lying or other creative positions we've come up with (like her sitting up to the milk bar) as I have very large breasts, facilitating creativity.

DD is back up to her birth weight today after losing 5% at 1d pp, so I'm trilled!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM

It's going better than it was. She wouldn't latch on my right side (same side DS hated because I have a flat nipple there) and she would paw scratch and pull off and scream on my left where I have a good nipple. I was pumping and feeding her pumped milk via SNS (well DH was feeding her with the sns) and I was nursing her to help with engorgement and to help with my fear that she wasn't getting enought since she would latch on scream fuss, suck 5 times and pull off, rinse and repeat. I was very engorged but that seems to have let up, and I went to see another LC and she told me to use nipple shields. So we have been using them on both sides, I think that I might have a bit of an oversupply/overactive letdown and the shields help store a bit of milk because most of the time when she delatches they are filled with milk, and I still here her choking/gagging at times while she's trying to swallow.

I am not sure how I feel about using shields all the time, and I hope that eventually we will be able to get rid of them but I suppose it's better than pumping, and or dealing with her screetching. Her latch still isn't great and I have to pull her bottom lip down a lot, and she has a major problem with gumming me instead of sucking but we are getting there. We will get it.

I did try to give her one bottle of formula when she was jaundiced pretty bad and nursing wasn't going well, but she wouldn't take it, and I am glad she didn't.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Old 08-29-2010, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My kids latch on at 10 minutes old and have no interest in getting off for months. That was how my older daughter functioned and younger daughter seems right on track to follow that trend.

What is working the best for facilitating tandem nursing is the tiny baby lays across the Boppy in the cradle position and older daughter comes up and sits next to me, facing me, and then she leans her head over onto tiny baby's legs. It's been awesome so far.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:34 PM

I gave up on Nystatin for Thrush. It felt like spreading cookie dough on my nipples - sticky, thick, and sweet smelling - yuck. We're on day two of gentian violet treatment instead. I can't wait to be done with all the meds.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Going pretty well here! Started off with some issues because we were both getting used to it- and I have flat nipples. But other than that, things pretty much evened out.

She chokes because I have a strong let down and my right nipple is seriously sore, but I think it's getting better. We have a ton of wet/dirty diapers, so I think I'm doing okay.

Nicole, wife to Sean, mother to Afton Reanne Evangeline, a natural birth at a hospital 8/17/2010 8lbs 9 oz 21 inches long.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM

NAK Going awesome here! Carisma is a very efficient nurser--she was born at 7 lbs 0.1 oz, left the hospital 2 days later at 6 lbs 10 oz and at 5 days was 7 lbs 5.5 oz. She loves to nurse and can drain me in about 5-10 minutes and then sleep for about 3 hours before she repeats the cycle again--much easier than either of my boys were. I'm dealing with oversupply too, just as I had w ds2. I'm just using a handpump to relieve engorgement since my 2 1/2 yr old decided to wean himself plus it is helping me build a bit of a stash in case I have to go back to work.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM

I am startign to wonder if I should pump too, she's nursing every 2-3 hours max, sometimes more, and I am still leaking through breast pads doubled up in an hour or less. I have to put a doubled prefold over the breast she's not drinking from while she's nursing. My breast pads are 1 layer of fleece 2 layers of flannel, and wearing 2 of them in each bra cup isnt' enough my shirts are still soaked... pumping would relieve some of that I would think, but then what am I gonna do with that milk, I know I can freeze it, but I never leave my kids till they are at least 3 years old.... any recs for a better breast pad? should I going sposie? will they hold more?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 PM

things have been pretty hard but sunday dh bought me a manual hand pump so i could relieve the right side since dd is refusing to nurse that side. i think it's making a huge difference, the crack is slowly showing signs of healing and i'm cup feeding her the milk i pump in between nursing. problem is she's wanting to nurse all the time and nurse herself to sleep and then sleep only on me. which is fine but i'm not sleeping well and have to let her scream if i get up to pee. the past few nights she's been nursing every hour, but last night was every 2 hours. i feel crazed and sore. yesterday she was on the breast for 5 hours straight. she'd fall asleep and wake herself up to latch back on. but strangely she's lost 2 ounces in the past few days. i don't know if i can nurse much more than i already am. i'm scared to put her back on the right side until it's completely healed.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkim View Post
she'd fall asleep and wake herself up to latch back on.
my little one will do that sometimes... between that and wanting to sleep on me I had to eventually give her a paci, she either wanted a nipple or a finger and I can't not move all day long... so I wear her or carry her but give her the paci when I can't give her my finger or breast.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:14 PM

We are doing better. She had really bad tongue tie and I had cracked, blistery nipples for a week or so. Her latch still isn't great but its definitely improving!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlandnl View Post
I am startign to wonder if I should pump too, she's nursing every 2-3 hours max, sometimes more, and I am still leaking through breast pads doubled up in an hour or less. I have to put a doubled prefold over the breast she's not drinking from while she's nursing. My breast pads are 1 layer of fleece 2 layers of flannel, and wearing 2 of them in each bra cup isnt' enough my shirts are still soaked... pumping would relieve some of that I would think, but then what am I gonna do with that milk, I know I can freeze it, but I never leave my kids till they are at least 3 years old.... any recs for a better breast pad? should I going sposie? will they hold more?
You could donate the milk if you aren't going to use it.

Nicole, wife to Sean, mother to Afton Reanne Evangeline, a natural birth at a hospital 8/17/2010 8lbs 9 oz 21 inches long.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Starr View Post
You could donate the milk if you aren't going to use it.
looks like I am going to have to pump and use it regardless, she hasn't gained enough weight to be at her birthweight yet. the Drs are concerned and want me supplementing with formula. So I am working on getting an electric pump (I only have a hand pump) and am going to pump after I nurse her and supplement with that...

Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM

any tips on giving her the pumped milk after nursing? dd tends to fall asleep at the breast and if she is awakened wants nothing more than more sucking. i'm having a hard time getting the pumped stuff into her. she's not at birthweight either

Old 09-02-2010, 05:30 PM

We're doing okay here. The newborn is great, with a strong latch and thankfully sleeping for several hour streaches at night. The issue I'm having is tandem nursing my three year old. She has started wanting to nurse all the time, and has started biting me again. Ouch! We got over that years ago! I haven't found a way to nurse both kids at once, so between the two of them I feel like I'm nursing all the time.

I, too, leak everywhere. Sigh. The cotton pads only last an hour or so. The wool ones last a few hours, but I'm still going through multiple pairs daily. Ah well. At least I'm not dealing with wet clothing at work. (yet)

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
any tips on giving her the pumped milk after nursing? dd tends to fall asleep at the breast and if she is awakened wants nothing more than more sucking. i'm having a hard time getting the pumped stuff into her. she's not at birthweight either
Have you tried having your husband/partner give it to her?

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I have some of your issues too. A baby not quite up to birth weight (nearly two weeks old) - tender breasts, some cracks that come and go. Midwife who wants me to express via pump and feed the excess to the babe...but am leary of over-pumping whichever breast is most sore, as I'm pretty sure it makes it worse, and we're also have huge difficulty getting the excess milk back in the baby too. My partner has slightly better luck than me, but only about one lot in six gets back in. We were first told to feed it to her prior to breast feeding, then someone suggested after the breast, but beforehand she's usually screaming and wants boob, and after she is too tired and won't have a bar of it.
We've tried an eyedropper, and a small sippy cup. Most of it ends up on her clothes or ours.
Tricky! Any tips appreciated!!

With the soreness - all I keep reading is that it is all about the latch. You (me, anyone else) have got to persevere in getting the latch right. ARgh. Also tricky on top of soreness. One thing that sometimes works for me is apply a hot flannel or hot water bottle to the sore breast, then doing that first painful latch, and re-latching after a minute, then again, until it is all more comfortable.

I've also read a bit about aiming the nipple at the baby's nose, seemingly to make them open wide (have also read to aim at bottom lip! so much contradictory advice out there) - but I find if I do either, things are much sorer, nipple cracking and/or areola bruising afterwards.

It has improved a little tiny bit when I started using my index finger to hold her chin down (hence making her open wider) and aiming the nipple in the middle of the gaping hole of mouth.

Not forgetting that it is best to bring the baby's head forcefully to the breast, and not the other way around is the way to go too. (Hard to do right if in pain though.)

The other thing I've read is not to try and latch whilst baby is screaming or not calm. Haven't mastered the art of calming her down first at all. Sounds easy...but so isn't!

But I sympathise. Two weeks in and we're still having problems, pain really gets in the way of feeding, it's very unfortunate - if anyone has any further advice it would be much appreciated!

Best,

G
x
Old 09-05-2010, 12:13 PM

So happy to know I'm not alone.

This is WAY harder than I thought it would be. I actually like the breastfeeding itself - but HATE the sore nipples and huge, leaking boobs. I can't put anything against my nipples because they hurt when I do that. I think his latch may be wrong, but I'm always so happy that he's finally LATCHED that I can't bring myself to tear him away (it also hurts to do that!)

I don't know whether the pain will go away, or if I need to go see the lactation consultant. I'm only 4 days into this whole breastfeeding thing - I hope it gets easier!!

Ashley - Happily married - 25 years old - in Ohio - vegetarian - mama to Gabriel Christopher, born September 1, 2010

User Tag List