stitches? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-28-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone else have stitches to repair a tear? If so, how are those doing? Can you feel them or are they causing any problems?

I had a 2nd/3rd degree tear (started as 2nd, then went deeper) and lots of stitches. I was told they'd absorb in about 4 weeks (I'm 5 weeks pp now), but I can still definitely feel and see them. This happened with my first birth as well, the stitches didn't absorb and my OB had to remove them at my 6 week check.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-28-2010, 08:25 PM

I had stitches for a 2nd degree tear. She said they'd probably get itchy and to do a sitz bath, or a bath with epsom salts. They were kind of not-so-good feeling around a week or so, sort of painful I think (but then again, nothing really felt good down there about then)

They felt ok by about 2 weeks PP, and by 2.5 weeks I tried going out for a ride on my horse. I definitely felt them then, but no damage done.

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#3 of 12 Old 08-28-2010, 11:22 PM

I had a small second degree tear, so I have one stitch. Which was on the 24th, so not even a week old. Really, the stitch is nothing compared to the annoying skid marks. Holy cow, those things sting!

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#4 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 AM

My stitches for an episiotomy felt fine after 2 weeks. Sitz baths helped a lot.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#5 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 AM

I had stitches for a 4th degree tear and they were very itchy. I used the witch hazel wipes and medicated cream and tons of sitz baths. Hope they feel better soon!!

Mommy to AJ 1/10/09 and Kalea 3/5/05
#6 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 04:50 PM

I had a second degree tear in my vagina which is giving me no trouble. I'd don't even think it had to be stitched up? But, my 2nd degree tear all the way back to my rectum has been quite painful. It'll be a week tomorrow and as of yesterday, it's starting to tingle a bit, I think that means the tissues are growing and healing. My midwife said between 7-10 days (usually right at 10) you get itchy like you have a yeast infection on the internal tissues. Ugh. I don't have that yet and am not looking forward to it. I'm going to try an herbal sitz bath today for the first time. I didn't feel ready to immerse my bottom in water until now. Boy, birth was way better than birth aftermath.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#7 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 05:58 PM

I had a small 2nd degree tear (maybe 6-8 stitches?) and haven't really felt the stitches at all. A couple of times I sat cross-legged and felt them pull a little, but that's it. I do seem to remember from last time around, though, that I definitely noticed when they came out, but I don't remember how far postpartum that was (I'm only 7 days right now.)
~Lindsay, mama to Gunnar, 5!, and George, brand new

~Lindsay, mama to Gunnar (5)  and George (brand new!) 
#8 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 08:41 PM

I had a 2nd degree tear internally, so I don't know how many stitches I have or where they even are to be honest (all I know is it took the Dr well over 45 minutes to repair), I have noticed some itching, and a little pulling here and there, but it really hasn't been that bad. I keep wondering when they will be gone as we have been itching to have some grown up time

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#9 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlandnl View Post
I keep wondering when they will be gone as we have been itching to have some grown up time
I'm wondering the same thing, I'm pretty disappointed mine haven't gone yet.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#10 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan sacha View Post
I'm going to try an herbal sitz bath today for the first time. I didn't feel ready to immerse my bottom in water until now. Boy, birth was way better than birth aftermath.
My midwives recommended bathing 3-4 times a day with bad tearing. I had nearly 3rd degree tears with each of my first two births and I definitely concur that with tearing, the aftermath was much worse than the delivery. At least labor lasts at most a day or two -- it took me two full months to recuperate from tears. It was so much easier this time with only a very minor tear.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#11 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM

DDCC

In my experience, sitz baths will help soften the stitches and promote healing...if you have a big tear, definitely up your number of sitz baths every day to at least 2-4 times. I would sometimes nurse while on the sitz bath in order to get even 5 or 10 minutes of warm water on those stitches...heavenly.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#12 of 12 Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 AM

Wanted to add that in addition to the sitz baths, I found doing Kegels helped to stretch out the area and make it more comfortable...the best was doing Kegels in the sitz bath.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page