Itchy stitches? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-02-2010, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After my hospital transfer, I agreed to a few stitches for some minor tearing. They are dissolvable, and supposed to go away on their own. I'm now 11 days PP, and I swear one of the stitches is driving me crazy. It is itchy and sometimes a tiny bit sore. Normal healing? Infected? Yeast? I don't know what is normal, having never had stitches in such a delicate spot before. It is such a minor tear, and only needed one stitch, but now it's driving me crazy!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#2 of 5 Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 AM

I've heard itching is normal and means it's healing. Hopefully someone can give you a definite answer. Have you asked your doctor?

Nicole, wife to Sean, mother to Afton Reanne Evangeline, a natural birth at a hospital 8/17/2010 8lbs 9 oz 21 inches long.
#3 of 5 Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM

I too was a hospital transfer.... needed quite a few stitches. Right around the same time postpartum as you, some of my stitches began to heal. Itchiness and soreness, considered normal and part of the healing process according to what I was told. An infection would entail foul smelling discharge, warm/hot sensation around the area, and redness (labia is paler in color pp due to lack of estrogen's affect on those tissues).

For me, what helped was doing my herbal sitz baths daily, sometimes twice a day. And using the herbal water (from sitz) in peri bottle. Sounds like you are mending well.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#4 of 5 Old 09-02-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

There is no odor or discharge from the tear, as far as I can tell with the lochia and all. I used a mirror and took a look at it. It is just a little red line with one very neat white stitch in it. The sight of it sort of turned my stomach (I'm not much of one for stitches!) but only because it looked so much like a sewing project. As far as I can see, the surrounding area looks totally normal. So I guess it is a sign of healing, and I'll just try not to stick my hand down my pants. Ah the fun of post partum. Not only do I smell like sour milk most of the time, and have wet patches from spilled and leaky milk, but now I have an itchy crotch too. Sigh. Thank goodness I have a little cutie to make it all worthwhile.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#5 of 5 Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 PM

DDCC -

When I had DD I had a bunch of stitches and they itched like CRAZY. And it hurt to scratch. It would keep me up at night. (As if you need more of THAT with a newborn!)

Everything healed up fine btw.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page