Mothering Forum banner

Mark arrived but now is in the hospital.

1K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  AutumnAir 
#1 ·
Mark's birth on August 27th was wonderful but five days later I noticed he felt hot to the touch. I took his temp under the arm and it was 100.9. I waited 10 minutes in a cooler room and took it again... 102.3.

We took him to the ER where they did a complete work up including a spinal tap.

It turns out that he has a urinary tract infection that has gone to his blood stream. The good news is that his spinal fluid was not yet infected and he is responding well to antibiotics. He'll be in the hospital at least 14 days.

Kindly keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Earlier that day I had been diagnosed with severe postpartum depression/anxiety and then Mark became sick.

Thank you in advance for caring.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank God he had a responsible, loving mother to take him to where he needed to be to get help, newborns with a fever are absolutely nothing to mess around with! You're going to get through this. My DD had a lot of health concerns when she was born and I was shell shocked and devastated and depressed and we got through it and have a wonderful relationship. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and accept any help you can get.

#3 ·
Quote:
Thank God he had a responsible, loving mother to take him to where he needed to be to get help, newborns with a fever are absolutely nothing to mess around with!
How scary for you but good work mama! You did a great job identifying a very serious situation. I hope he heals well and you get some much needed rest I'm sure. Praying that things go better for you.

#8 ·
I know from experience that depression with anxiety make everything 10 times harder. Take care of yourself, and good work reaching out for help when you needed it. You and little Mark will hopefully get well soon.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
Keep putting one foot in front of the other and accept any help you can get.
Congrats on the birth! There is nothing stronger than the love and determination of a mom. Just remember "This to Shall Pass".

#12 ·
DDCC:

Congratulations on your baby boy! I am so relieved to hear that he is doing better in the hospital. Hope you both are getting plenty of rest and I look forward to an update!

#14 ·
oh big hugs mama!!! I know how you feel... literally... DD got an infection that cropped up at 3 weeks old... nothing like checking your newborn to find they have a (rectal) temp of 103.6!!! It's so stressful... Remember to take time for you and do some deep breathing and relaxation ...

I remember the spinal tap... I had to leave, I couldn't handle it. DH was able to stay calmer for DD whereas I was a mess. It is awful at any age, but especially when they're so tiny.

I'm glad he's doing better! We spent 4 days (including the day we got admitted) on the peds floor and it was hell. I hope you're getting some sleep and that if you're nursing, it's still going well. Be on the lookout for yeast if so, we got a nasty case from the strength of the antibiotics DD was on (4 different ones).

HUGE hugs and prayers!!

#15 ·
Congratulations Mama!!

I am SO sorry about your baby being sick. Our little guy ended up in hospital at 7 days old because he stopped breathing. I know how scary it is to have a newborn in the hospital.

DD, when she was 6 months old, had a blood infection. Her only symptom, really, was a super high fever. We don't have a clue how she got it. We refused the spinal b/c the doctor even admitted that she didn't look like a child with menningitis, but she was quickly put on IV abx. We were allowed to keep her at home and just being her back for the abx.

HUG HUGS
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
, Mom. I am so sorry. My daughter and I spent 10 days in NICU for presumed sepsis, and I know how hard hospital life is as a mom.

I will be praying for you, and your family, and thanking God that your son is getting the treatment he needs.

#17 ·
Thank you, all.

This is super stressful but at least every room is private and has its own bathroom with shower and a bed for mom or dad.

Baby Mark is doing better. He only needs i.v. antibiotics three times a day so the rest of the time is just us sitting around, nursing and watching t.v. Nights are the hardest. My PPD doc says that I should get a several hour chunk of sleep each night, so my hubby has really stepped up to the plate and stays the nights with the baby. He feeds the baby breastmilk I've pumped or the occasional bottle of formula.

With my age, my mental health and the extra stresses that can happen, I think we have completed our family. I'm grateful to God for our many blessings, but now I surrender!

#19 ·
A bit late to this thread, but just wanted to say
Congratulations mama!! Welcome baby Mark!!

Glad to hear he's doing well - I hope he'll be home with the rest of the family soon. Make sure to look after yourself too mama!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.