Postpartum Thread 9/13-9/19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2010, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does it work on MDC once a DDC has had their babies? We don't get our own forum anymore, right? Do we move to just having a thread in a baby section?

Is everybody settling in?

Tim is 7 weeks old, 10 lbs 9 oz. In the lovely baby acne stage, although I think he's through the worst of it. I'm trying to coax a smile out of him, but we've only had the accidental ones so far. He seems to be batting at toys on his overhead thingy, at least sort-of purposefully. He doesn't scratch his own eyes out anymore, at least. He hates, hates, hates the car and I have a 40 min. drive picking up my 4 year old every day. He sleeps at least one 4 hr chunk at night, usually two, and generally is sleeping or nursing in bed between 10pm and 9am. He tends to have an awake period in the morning and then longer in the evening, but he's had some cranky days where he only catnaps. On Saturday he was awake from 10am-3:30pm and that was the longest stretch of daytime he's been awake for. Nursing's going great. We're catching some pee and poop. He's starting to outgrow the newborn diapers--I need to get going on his bigger fitteds, either buying or sewing. I'm more fond of prefolds this time around and use those too.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our DDC will be open until babies who are due in August 2011 start coming around. Then we will have to find a new home.

Annabelle is mostly doing really well. She's settling into a 3ish naps a day routine and doing really well at night. Most nights she goes down around 9-10, is up between 2-3 and then around 6 to eat and then sleeps until around 8. She's having a colicky session almost every night before bed though that's rough. At first I thought it was because of my oversupply (which we took care of), but now I'm wondering if it's a dairy thing.

She's starting to outgrow her newborn diapers too! I thought they would fit her for several months, but she's already pushing 11 lbs. at 5 weeks! She was only 7 lbs. 6 oz. at birth!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM

We are doing good. The first two weeks was painful for me but I seem to be healing up well now. Hayden weighs a ton and is outgrowing his clothes quickly. The girls love him.

We added 6 more children to our family...6 laying chickens! It's really relaxing to sit outside nursing the baby and watching the chickens scratch around their pasture.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
We added 6 more children to our family...6 laying chickens! It's really relaxing to sit outside nursing the baby and watching the chickens scratch around their pasture.
Aww! We have laying hens too. Are yours full grown or little chicks? We got ours at one week old in May 2009 and they started laying in September and October last fall. Two of them died from illness recently, but we're still getting 2 eggs a day with our 4. What breed are they? We have 3 Americaunas and 1 Barred Rock.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 PM

I think they are about 18 weeks old. Two are australorps and 4 are australorp/rhode island red crosses). The crosses are little bit younger. I really want buffs and ameraucanas but can't find any that aren't chicks (don't want to deal with chicks right now).

I can't wait until they start laying, it's so exciting!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 PM

We have chickens too! We got them as chicks when living with my parents. They kept some and we have 2. Only 1 is laying right now. Their names are Bock bock and Gimpy
My other ddc made a group on facebook to stay in touch. It works nicely.
I've had a pickup in bleeding which is annoying. I really hate pads! Zaphira has really bad baby acne, even on her back! My son never had it so this is new territory. As is all the spitting up-seems like shes always spewing!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 09-15-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
I've had a pickup in bleeding which is annoying. I really hate pads!
Ugh me too. I had it go away completely for two days so I ditched the pads and it started right up again. I'll be glad to be done, pads make me itchy and sore.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Sarah is 4 weeks old today. I can't believe it, the time is going by so quickly. She's still a tiny peanut. I haven't been able to have her in any 0-3 month clothes yet, though she's getting a little bit long for them she's just so skinny. We haven't been able to put her in any of her cloth diapers yet. Her infant prefolds and covers are insanely big on her, and I bought her some small fuzzibunz, but they come up almost to her nipples, and her legs are still too skinny for them so it will be a little while longer.

Shes sleeping pretty well, last night she slept from 12 to 430 not too bad at all. The night before she slept for 6 hours I hate letting her go that long since she's still so tiny, but I am too tired to wake up myself.

She has no sembilence of a schedule really other the fact that she goes to bed between 11pm and midnight and that's only because we go to bed then, and she gets up around 7 since that's when I have to get up to get DS off to school.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Old 09-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
Ugh me too. I had it go away completely for two days so I ditched the pads and it started right up again. I'll be glad to be done, pads make me itchy and sore.
I had that problem too, so I switched to mama cloth. I have never been happier!

My chunker just keeps growing. It blows me away. My older DD did the same thing too. I've decided I just make chunky babies.

She's started going to bed earlier in the evening. Last night she was down by 8! It was so nice to have a couple hours to get things done in the evening, but it also meant she got up earlier this morning. :P

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png

Old 09-15-2010, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
NAK

It does feel good to ask if I may officially join you mamas!

My little man is 9 days old today! He goes to bed each night around 9, and then I go to bed around 11, and usually get about 2 hrs before he's ready to nurse. That's his longest stretch, but I can't complain. Once he wakes up sometime in the 1 o'clock hour, then he just goes to bed with me, and it's open bar, LOL!

He only went down to 10' 1 oz, and he's climbing again, though I don't know to what yet. I am actually taking him to the ped today (yuck) to have what I suspect is an umbilical hernia checked out. He lost his stump on Monday, but his button is way long, and I think it is a hernia..as long as it's all closed, I don't really care, as the closed herniations usually resolve.

Other than some roids' flaring up when I stopped the stool softeners, I'm doing fine. It's funny how it only took moving from super soft poop to "normal" poop to make me hurt. The PP herb sitz I have is great, though. I actually have a big bowl that I just use in the peri bottle after going, and it's a lifesaver. Not that you all wanted details, but you know how it is when you are sitting here nursing and "chatting" with another adult, LOL!

Glad to hear that you all are adjusting and doing well.

Continued blessings!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
At first I thought it was because of my oversupply (which we took care of), but now I'm wondering if it's a dairy thing.
Serious oversupply issue here. I have to change tops multiple times a day due to leaking through my nursing pads or the overflow from the edges of DD mouth going everywhere. How did you resolve it? I seriously need to turn down the tap. I have enough laundry without adding more to it. Not to mention having to do the sheets and mattress pad multiple times a week when I roll off or leak through my waterproof pad. (In addition to my sleep bra, nursing pads, and nightgown.). In tired of being wet. I try to air dry, but I just drip, drip, drip. Sigh.

Oterwise we are doing well. 3 weeks pp here and mostly healed. Even DTD, which makes DH estatic and mellow about the messy house. DD2 doesn't sleep super well, but I don't really mind. I found a IRL natural parenting moms group, and wish I was a SAHM so I could hang with them every week. I'm not too keen to go back to work in 4 short weeks, but I have to. We will start interviewing nannies soon. Hopefully we can find someone great who is willing to work for the small amount we can afford to pay.

I've been getting out of the house more, and seeing other adults, which has helped my mood tremendously. Now if blue cross would just let me know they approved my health insurance app for DD2, things would be really good!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am actually taking him to the ped today (yuck) to have what I suspect is an umbilical hernia checked out. He lost his stump on Monday, but his button is way long, and I think it is a hernia..as long as it's all closed, I don't really care, as the closed herniations usually resolve.
That sounds like Tim's belly button, which multiple peds have said is indeed herniated, but he's supposed to outgrow it within the year. He'll probably be like me and never really have an inny, though.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
Serious oversupply issue here. I have to change tops multiple times a day due to leaking through my nursing pads or the overflow from the edges of DD mouth going everywhere. How did you resolve it? I seriously need to turn down the tap. I have enough laundry without adding more to it. Not to mention having to do the sheets and mattress pad multiple times a week when I roll off or leak through my waterproof pad. (In addition to my sleep bra, nursing pads, and nightgown.). In tired of being wet. I try to air dry, but I just drip, drip, drip. Sigh.
I did block feeding for a couple of days and that solved the problem. There's some other suggestions here.

I would right more, but my toddler is climbing all over me right now!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:40 PM

Has everyone had their final postpartum visit? What was yours like?

My Dr. didn't even examine me in any way. We mostly talked about what the birth was like (since he missed it and I ended up with the hospitalist catching my baby) and how the baby was doing. That was it. We talked for about half an hour and then I left. It seemed kinda...anticlimactic I guess?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post

My Dr. didn't even examine me in any way. We mostly talked about what the birth was like (since he missed it and I ended up with the hospitalist catching my baby) and how the baby was doing. That was it. We talked for about half an hour and then I left. It seemed kinda...anticlimactic I guess?
I'll have mine sometime early next week. I think the 6 week check-up is more of a formality than anything. If you are still having problems, then you bring them up then, but otherwise there's not much of a point to it.

I'm hoping my midwives will be able to swing by on Monday for it (they don't pre-schedule follow-up visits and just call to see if you're home when they are in the neighborhood) since Tuesday is my DD's 2nd birthday!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 PM

Doing great at 1 week pp. I still need more rest than normal, but actually feel better now than I did at the end of my pregnancy. Baby girl is sleeping great at night and will nurse in bed for the most part. The older sisters are doing good so far in the transition and mostly want to give the baby lots of love and hold her.

The hard part of feeling so good is that I have been doing too much these past few days. Without the usual pain and healing that I have had in the past, it is hard to hold myself back from doing housework.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post

I haven't seen a doctor since leaving the hospital. I have an appointment at the beginning of October. It's an hour away and I want to cancel it but I have this lump in my armpit that I want checked out. It showed up a month prior to the birth and disappeared a couple of days later. It showed up again when I was engorged, bigger than the first time. It's shrunk a bit but still there. I guess it could be a plugged duct...

User Tag List