Ultrasound at first appointment?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-29-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!! Found out I was pregnant on Christmas Eve and this is my first for me (2nd for DH). I haven't decided between ob/gyn or midwife and happened to have an appointment already scheduled with an ob/gyn for an annual exam and wanted to go and see her cause I've never seen an ob/gyn (only nurses and midwives for all annual exams). Anyways, I called to explain that I'm pregnant and they told me I would have an exam and ultrasound. At that point, I will be 7 1/2 weeks. Since this is my first time, is it normal to have an ultra sound this early? It sounds early to me.

Now, I'm starting to lean more towards a midwife...but I'm torn. Thought? Experiences? Anything would help! I don't have any friends or sisters that have kids so I don't have anyone to ask!! And although this is the second child for my DH, with his first, they didn't find out until the 2nd trimester.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 12-29-2009, 05:53 PM

I may be biased since I'm not planning to have an ultrasound at all, and this is my first, too, so I don't really have experience, BUT it seems to me that if you're not having any symptoms of miscarriage and you are pretty certain of the date of conception, there's no reason for it.

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).
#3 of 17 Old 12-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Sounds too early to me if you are aren't having any problems. Here (in Sweden) the routine ultrasound is at 20 weeks. You can have one at 15 if you're having the CUB diagnostic (chromosome disorder test) and I had one at 9cuz I was puking my brains out.
I'm a MW fan! Good luck with your decision.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#4 of 17 Old 12-29-2009, 06:47 PM

It might be a wee bit early but by only a few days. Usually the first ultrasound is sometime after 8 weeks or so. That said, you'll be able to see the heartbeat, which is always really cool.

As for OB vs midwife, that generally has more to do with where you want to give birth. If you and your DH feel more comfortable in a hospital setting, then an OB is the way to go. If you are planning a homebirth or birth center birth, then go with a midwife. I did the doctor route the first time because midwifery wasn't legal at the time where I was, and I'm hoping to go with a midwife this time. The good news is that you don't have to make a decision TODAY, but if you think you want to eventually switch to a midwife, you may want to call around. Sometimes, depending on your area, midwives get booked quickly.

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#5 of 17 Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 PM

I'm going to see a midwife but I already know I'll have a 20 week ultrasound done so I can know what the baby is. Other than that, I don't plan on having any other ultrasounds done. I just don't feel comfortable doing multiple tests like that on the baby!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#6 of 17 Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 PM

many clinics (OB or midwife) will have a "dating ultrasound" - I've found that with my most recent 3 pregnancies at the first prenatal visit.

You can always decline it!

I had an "early" u/s with 3 of my most recent pregnancies - (#3, 4 and 5) - one at 7 weeks for bleeding with #3, and then again at 12ish weeks for #4 and #5 to establish a due date.

I have past history with complications from going overdue so establishing a firm due date is something that's important to me.

Bottom line, they can't force you to do it. I don't think they'd bat an eye if you declined. A consideration, find out how much of your care would "carry over" to your preferred provider if you decide to go with the other party after the first visit. You don't want to have to repeat all the bloodwork and whatnot.

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
#7 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! This is all very helpful. After thinking about it more today, I am leaning towards a hospital birth with a midwife. Think I'll cancel my appt with the ob/gyn and schedule with my midwife. no need to repeat any appts and it'll save me some time.
#8 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 01:12 AM

I have severely irregular periods, so I'll be having a dating scan at my 1st appointment as far as I know.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#9 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 AM

[QUOTE=Houla05;14855658] I am leaning towards a hospital birth with a midwife. QUOTE]

We went that route too. Midwives birth in hospitals here (Sweden), and we choose a hospital with a home-like setting. So we got some of everything...even drugs when I was still 4 cm after 36 hours .

and 2 rescued greyhounds
#10 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=foodmachine;14856542]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houla05 View Post
I am leaning towards a hospital birth with a midwife. QUOTE]

We went that route too. Midwives birth in hospitals here (Sweden), and we choose a hospital with a home-like setting. So we got some of everything...even drugs when I was still 4 cm after 36 hours .
Do midwives deliver babies in most European countries? Just curious. Hoping for a natural birth, but like having options in case I whimp out!
#11 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 05:29 PM

ddc crashing. thats very normal where I am from (Los Angeles area). They do it for a number of reasons even if you have no history of problems like to confirm the pregnancy, make sure its viable (not molar or ectopic) and for dates. Not to mention to confirm or cross off multiples.

BFPChart2.gif

#12 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=Houla05;14858309]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodmachine View Post

Do midwives deliver babies in most European countries? Just curious. Hoping for a natural birth, but like having options in case I whimp out!
Yes! Come on over .

And it's not "whimping out". Don't be hard yourself if your "plan" goes out the window. I consider DD's birth incredibly natural .

and 2 rescued greyhounds
#13 of 17 Old 01-02-2010, 07:37 PM

This is such a great thread; I learned a lot! My husband wants us to keep the option of going to a hospital open and to therefore establish a relationship with an OB/GYN for this pregnancy. So, I was planning on making an appointment next week, but I am glad not to be blindsided by her wanting to do an ultrasound at my first appointment. I think I will decline, but I know it would have been harder to do so if I didn't know it was coming! I am not planning on doing any u/s, if all goes well.

Last night, DH and I watched "The Business of Being Born" on Netflix instant (very timely for that to appear in our "You Might Enjoy..." queue!) and that is when I learned about how about 70% of births in Europe are attended by midwives. I wish the percent was higher here; I am probably going to have to drive a ways to find a midwife as preliminary internet search showed that in Texas they're mostly clustered in our big cities and some very random rural locales.

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#14 of 17 Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 AM

I've had them (note.. it's a vaginal (internal) ultrasound... so think a "wand" like thing with a condom on top... can be a shock, if you're not expecting it) at my first appointments.. .but I think my OB does them because I've had a few anembryonic pregnancies... a few miscarriages.

It doesn't hurt... and it's kind of cool in that sometimes you can even see the little

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#15 of 17 Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM

The OB I started my last pregnancy at routinely did an U/S at the first visit, which was scheduled for 8 weeks. It was for dating purposes and to confirm viability. A lot of my friends also had 8-week ultrasounds at their different practices so I think it is fairly routine.

The birth center I delivered at and am at now does *not* routinely do an early u/s. I would definately choose one anyway if I hadn't already had 2 scans at my RE (and am scheduled for a third next week). In fact, if the birth center gives me the option of an 8-week scan I will definately take it.

You are always welcome to decline an u/s if you don't want that intervention. For me the possible risk of the u/s to the baby was always outweighed by my insatiable need for peace of mind.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#16 of 17 Old 01-04-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for responding! It's nice to hear what others went through at the first appt. Since it is my first, I just have no idea what to expect, so I appreciate hearing from you.
#17 of 17 Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM

We will be getting an early u/s due to multiple early losses. My midwives office does not routinely do early u/s, so I had just one with her at 20 weeks. Then I had a miscarriage, and had an u/s in early pregnancy with DS, both to ease my mind and because I had gone off b/c and had a really long, spotty cycle, and didn't have any idea within 2 months or so when I conceived. Then I had another chemical, and transferred care to an OB's office (I had a chemical before DD, so this last one made three losses). The OB's routinely do a one hour obstetric history with a nurse at 6 weeks, followed by a 25 minute exam and u/s appointment with the OB at 8 weeks. Of course, they used my LMP, not my O date, so I'll be 5 days earlier than they expect, but whatever. Had I not had all the losses, I would not do the early u/s. This time, I'm happy to have it!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page