anyone else working out? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to join here too

I'm in the process of getting a YMCA membership, and I've gone twice so far this week on a day pass. I am hoping to go multiple times a week.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#62 of 107 Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Looks like everyone is doing great! I'm still hitting boot camp at least 3 times a week most times 4. Last week I took the girls to Spokane with me so I missed the entire week and I missed today because we had 3 inches of snow and since it's Spring Break the gym is being used by the kids so we couldn't go inside. I'll be back at it tomorrow, though. I can't believe that I'm still able to do as much as I am at 18 weeks (ok 19 tomorrow lol!) I'm still out doing a couple of the non preggo mamas...that makes me feel fantastic considering 8 months ago I was one of the most out of shape mamas in the group

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#63 of 107 Old 04-06-2010, 01:48 AM

I want to join too!!!!

I did yoga on Saturday, and I walked for 25-30 minutes yesterday and today! Three days in a row is awesome for me! I want to keep the streak going. We are fostering a 3 year dog right now and the walks do her and my dog and me some good. I think my main motivation in having a foster dog is that I am better about walking with an extra dog in the house. So, my plan is to walk with the dogs and DH on the days that he doesn't run, and do yoga on the days that he does. I netflixed the Susan Sanders video that you are all talking about, so I'll give that a try too!

I love that there is a place to report to! I want to keep my streak going!!!!!!

Yay!

Melissa - 3 furbabies, 2 stepkids, 1 toddler born (9/27/10).  One loss on 7/13/09.

#64 of 107 Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM

I'll join!

We joined the YMCA in January, and DD1 does Swim & Gym Mondays and Wednesdays. During that time, I do about 25 minutes of cardio (walking/elliptical) and then either squats/lunges or light upper body weights. Tuesdays I do a fitness yoga class, and Saturdays I do prenatal yoga. But spring break and such have been getting in the way. Last week I only got in one family walk. I'm back on track this week minus yoga!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#65 of 107 Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome new mamas! I'm so excited to see this post growing as all of us grow too
I'm glad to have a little accountability also, this morning I really want to play hooky from boot camp, but I'm not going to I know once I get out there with my friends I'll be glad I went. I'm always feeling a bit lazy in the mornings lol!

#66 of 107 Old 04-06-2010, 01:51 PM

We got our Y membership set up this morning I didn't actually get a workout in because Kids Kare (the childcare service they provide) was only open until noon and we got there at 11:45. But it's done and now we can go whenever we want.

My plan is to go five days a week in the mornings. Monday I'm going to do Aqua Fit as well as Frog will be doing a swimming lesson right after so I'll stay in the pool with him for that. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday I plan to be in the workout room walking or on the ellipticals and maybe venturing into the weight room. Then Saturday I will be taking Toad for his swimming lesson and then doing my own workout after.

Wednesday we have a playgroup that I don't want to miss and Sunday we have church so those mornings won't work. I think I'm more likely to go if I don't let me day get in the way. Starting the day at the Y will make me likely to stick with it because there is childcare at at point as well so I won't have to find childcare for them. Plus one of my best friends goes in the morning as well so it should work out well.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#67 of 107 Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

man oh man...I can tell I took a week off! Plus I think our leader was out to kill us today. She's 10 weeks further along than I am and she was doing burpee's like it was nothing. I on the other hand faked my way through a good 1/3 of the workout today. Mostly the running part. I've never been big on running and now that my pubic bone feels like it's going to fall off I'm really not a fan lol! But, I'm glad I went even if I do feel like I could take a 7 hour nap

#68 of 107 Old 04-09-2010, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I know it is only Friday, but I am out of town all next week, so wanted to check in before I left.

This week was good on mileage, but not so much on yoga or the DVDs. I am hoping to get some work outs in next week even though I am out of town.

Monday- 2 mile walk
Tuesday- 4 mile walk, 2 mile run
Wednesday-3 mile run
Thursday-2 mile walk
Friday- 3 mile run

Hope everyone has a great week next week!!!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#69 of 107 Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 PM

So pissed....

I had a MAJOR run-in with the childcare at our YMCA and will not leave DD2 in their care until changes are made. So there go my 2x/week workouts. I feel, in a way, that I have bitten off my nose to spite my face. But I feel like if I let this go, they won't change anything. And I don't feel like she's safe there. So it is what it is.

I'm going to add a Thursday workout while my kids are at school and hopefully hit our at-home treadmill at least once.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#70 of 107 Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Bummer about the childcare situation, Pink. Safety has to be first.

AFM, I did pretty good for the rest of the week.
Last Saturday, prenatal yoga class (75 minutes)
Sunday, 25-30 min walk
Monday, 25-30 min walk
Tuesday, yoga video at home (45 minutes)
Wednesday, yoga video at home (45 minutes)
Thursday, break
Friday, 40-45 min walk
Saturday, Prenatal yoga class (75 minutes)

Feeling good about things this week! Sort of dreading Monday...but that's normal.

Melissa - 3 furbabies, 2 stepkids, 1 toddler born (9/27/10).  One loss on 7/13/09.

#71 of 107 Old 04-13-2010, 11:14 PM

How is everyone doing?

I'm doing C25K but I have to do it on the treadmill as I never have time without the kids to do it, but I can do it while they are in the YMCA daycare. So far this week I did my first day of C25K on Monday, and then today I did prenatal pilates (which was harder than I expected ).

I'm feeling good though

Alison
#72 of 107 Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 AM

Go Alison!!

Yesterday = 3 mi walk (with the dogs, so a bit of an arm workout too )
Today = elliptical/weights @ YMCA

I missed yoga Tuesday which bums me out.

#73 of 107 Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 AM

Is anyone doing non-swimming water workouts? I've got access to an indoor pool now and can buy a summer pass for our outdoor pools starting later next month, so I'm thinking of doing some stuff if I can find good ideas for exercises. I'm not much of a swimmer, so laps don't work so well for me, but I'd love to work out once or twice a week in the water.

I haven't looked through what they offer, but the Fit Pregnancy website has at least a few ideas.

Whatever I do, I've got to start doing something besides working around the house/garden. That's decent activity, but it's not really sustained enough for "exercise" purposes.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#74 of 107 Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Last week I was on vacation and only got some walking in. I started back running on Saturday and again yesterday.... boy was that tough. Planning a 4 mile walk today and a run tomorrow, Thursday and Friday.

I gained like 6 lbs since my last midwife appt a month ago.... 3 of them in the last week... YIKES. I am going to start logging my food again, that seemed to help a ton.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#75 of 107 Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 AM

Well, another week down and another not great work out week (B-???).
I am planning on running more this next week if my throat stops hurting so badly.

Monday- 2 mile run
Tuesday- 4 mile walk
Wednesday- Summer Sanders DVD
Thursday-2 mile walk, 30 minutes of yoga
Friday- 3 mile walk
Saturday- 2 + mile walk (fairly strenuous)
Sunday- 2 mile walk, 40 minutes of yoga

I would give myself a C- for eating this week though. Better one next, right!

#76 of 107 Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 PM

Last week sucked for me. My 14 month old got pneumonia on Monday and he was supposed to have surgery on Thursday which was cancelled. Then on Wednesday my 3 year old got a stomach virus and puked for two days.

I didn't make it to the gym at all for the whole week.

Today I made it back through. And did 45 minutes on the treadmill. I was tired but felt great afterwords

Alison
#77 of 107 Old 04-27-2010, 03:07 PM

I mow the lawn twice a week.

Since the run in with the pedophile down the street, I haven't found a better place to walk yet, that is in the works.

I am incorporating daily lunges and 20 squats though.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#78 of 107 Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 PM

Liz--Whoa...run in with pedophile? I missed something...

Let's see....

LAST WEEK:
Weds = 25 min treadmill (walking)
Thurs = 25 min recumbent bike, upper body weights

THIS WEEK:
Tues = yoga!!!!!! (OMG, it felt SO good!)

I plan to hit the gym tomorrow as well, but Thursday is out because DD2 has an eye doctor appt right during gym time I may try to get a walk in on Saturday a.m.

#79 of 107 Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM

So sporadic past few weeks. Something always seems to come up. Been doing a lot of walking in the park, though, at least 5 days a week we walk for a mile or so because the weather's been so nice.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#80 of 107 Old 04-27-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post
Liz--Whoa...run in with pedophile? I missed something...
Thread is in Family Safety. Not pretty and I was PISSED OFF. Trust me.

So yeah, I haven't been walking on my street since loser man lives 4 houses down across the street.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#81 of 107 Old 04-29-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifera2 View Post
Is anyone doing non-swimming water workouts? I've got access to an indoor pool now and can buy a summer pass for our outdoor pools starting later next month, so I'm thinking of doing some stuff if I can find good ideas for exercises. I'm not much of a swimmer, so laps don't work so well for me, but I'd love to work out once or twice a week in the water.

I haven't looked through what they offer, but the Fit Pregnancy website has at least a few ideas.

Whatever I do, I've got to start doing something besides working around the house/garden. That's decent activity, but it's not really sustained enough for "exercise" purposes.
Jennifera2, there are some great water workouts that don't involve swimming laps! I was a runner (prior to getting knocked up) and my running guru used to have me do water runs when I was injured or needed to cross-train off the asphault for a few weeks. Apparently time spent "running" in the pool is equivalent to time spent on the road - so if I was scheduled for a 45 mins run, I'd hit the pool for 45 mins. Lately I've been doing it two to three times a week ever since the nausea backed off because I'm not running the roads while pregnant.
So, here's the scoop: Find the "leisure" or slowest lane of swimmers and head for the deep end as you don't want to touch the bottom. BTW, you make very slow progress water running, so try to stay out of the way of people who are swimming laps - if there are no speed indicators for the lanes, look for the lane with the elderlies doing their sideways slo-mo strokes....
The key to the work out - do not wear a water belt and instead use your own resistance/momentum to stay afloat. Do huge scissor kicks with your legs (it's not really a running motion because your legs are straight and your toes are extended), stretching as far out and back as you can with each kick - you'll feel it in your quads going forward and your hams and glutes going back. The more you bring your legs back with each scissor kick, the more it works the hams/glutes.
Keep your back straight and use your core muscles to maintain an upright posture (try not to stick your neck out like a chicken, keep it square above your shoulders). Pretend that you're pushing your legs through really thick mud to increase the resistance. With your arms do whatever you want. The easiest to start with is just a treading water motion at the water's surface - this helps you stay afloat while you get used to it. When you feel more confident, try different movements, with straight arms moving in a forward/back motion similar to your legs (this works shoulders, lats and triceps) or make a bicep curl motion with your arm, alternating by reaching up to the surface and then rotating your shoulder to push down toward the bottom of the pool, with your arms working in tandem. The resistance of the water works the arms nicely and combined provides a terrific workout for all your major muscle groups.
It's a good workout to do with a friend as talking helps the time to pass. You might get a few odd looks, but so what? No impact, it's a great resistance workout with cardio at the same time - you can't beat it!
If you have any questions, let me know.
Good luck )
Umami

TTC since July '08 with DH while, all too often, our hilarious looks on
#82 of 107 Old 05-16-2010, 05:34 PM

I have been working out, but just forgetting to post.

This week was pretty good, although, I can tell that I am really slowing down on my runs.

Monday- 4 mile walk
Tuesday- 2 mile run
Wednesday- Squats and Lunges and upper body weights
Thursday- 2.5 mile run
Friday- 2 mile run
Saturday- Squats and lunges, upper body weights
Sunday- 2.5 mile run, 1 mile walk- upper body weights

I didn't do great on eating and it shows.... the dreaded scale says I have gained about 16 lbs at 24 weeks.

#83 of 107 Old 05-16-2010, 05:49 PM

Sadly I had to give up on my exercise it hurts too much... even going shopping for a pair of shoes (walking from my car to the shoe section, sitting and waiting while my sister picked some out, then walking to the checkout/back out to the car) was enough last night that I am still in pain from it today

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#84 of 107 Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

still chugging along at boot camp...although I skipped last week due to weather and needing to get stuff done around the house. Tomorrow starts a new bc week and I'll be there! Can't do any major running and some of the exercises that require lifting one leg at a time are out due to the SPD...but walk/slow jogging seems to be helping the pain instead of creating it which I am very happy about! Working out during pregnancy has had a nice effect on my weight gain too...I haven't gained any! It's funny though, I actually lost 3 lbs this last week and I didn't do a single extra exercise activity for the whole week

Keep up the great work ladies!!

#85 of 107 Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 AM

My exercise has been pretty sporadic *sigh* but I have been really active. At least taking a walk every day with my 1-year-old.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#86 of 107 Old 05-30-2010, 10:20 PM

This week was pretty good:

Monday- 2.5 miles run
Tuesday- 2 miles run
Wednesday- 2 miles run
Thursday- 3 mile walk, 2.5 miles run
Friday- Off
Saturday- Off
Sunday- 3 mile walk

#87 of 107 Old 06-06-2010, 11:00 PM

Another good week, ran 5 days, although, one of the runs was so slow, I could have walked faster.

Monday- 2.5 miles run
Tuesday- 2.5 miles run
Wednesday- 2 miles run
Thursday- 3 mile walk, 2 miles run
Friday- Off
Saturday- Summer Sander's Video
Sunday- 2 mile run

We are also trying to take the dogs on at least 3 walks a week and each one is close to 1 mile.

#88 of 107 Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM

You go girl!

I did yoga (not prenatal) on Tuesday and Friday and chased my girls at the pool two afternoons. I wish I could find more time for working out... I miss my walks and weights!

#89 of 107 Old 06-07-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

still doing boot camp here Now that it's summer and the kids are out of school we've switched from 4 days a week to 3 I'm very happy about that! No more running for me at all and even fast walking is going out the window pretty quick due to the SPD. But, I feel fantastic and I still haven't gained a lb (not a goal, but nice to know I won't have so much to loose after the baby is born...and I'm still overweight!)

#90 of 107 Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 PM

I am slowing down, but still got some good runs in this week:

Monday- 30 minutes of Summer Sander's
Tuesday- 2 mile run
Wednesday- 2 mile run
Thursday- 2 mile run
Friday- 3-4 mile walk (Zoo)
Saturday-2 mile run
Sunday- 2 mile run

I feel like I am doing the old people shuffle, but DH says it is not that bad. We run together, so he keeps my pace up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page