anyone else working out? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a few of my mama friends and I started our own *boot camp* at the end of July. For someone who never had a regular exercise routine before that (me!) it's pretty hardcore. An hours worth of running, calisthenics, and weight resistance with bands all while pushing our little ones in the jogger I've really enjoyed it and am surprised I've kept up with it for 5 months...it really helps that I'm working out with my best friends 4 times a week lol.

Anyway, I've never worked out like this during a pregnancy before. So far I feel really great and I know it's great for the baby too! Anyone else out there working out during this pregnancy?

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#2 of 107 Old 12-31-2009, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Before Christmas, I was running about 5 days a week, but I have been out of it for a few weeks now and need to get back into it. I am also goign to start lifting light weights (like I did when I was pregnant with DD). I feel that I had such and easy pregnancy and birth with DD because of my fitness.

Lets keep each other in check!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 107 Old 01-01-2010, 02:19 AM

I have an eliptical trainer out in the garage and was using it pretty regularly for a while. The it got cold and I turned into a wuss. I seriously need to get going again though. I feel like I still never really regained my core muscles from Leland's birth two and a half years ago! Yikes- must work on those before a baby belly makes it impossible. I reallllly don't want to suffer diastasis.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#4 of 107 Old 01-01-2010, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
Lets keep each other in check!
Yes! That's exactly why I posted. I know that at some point I'm going to want to just sit on my tukas and I'll need the motivation to get out there and move so my body stays fit and healthy and I have a nice easy delivery...although my labor with DD2 was only two hours and I pushed for 7 minutes so if it gets any easier than that I guess the baby will be walking out on his own lol

#5 of 107 Old 01-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Okay, you've officially inspired me. This morning I did about half an hour of a bellydancing workout video, then bicep curls and triceps presses. I'm going to try to do about this amount of exercise five days a week from now on.

I was working out a lot more than this up until a couple months ago, and I think the cold weather just kinda got me down and made me want to hibernate. So thanks for making me want to get back into the habit!

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).
#6 of 107 Old 01-01-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

oops! I already slipped up today I just couldn't bring myself to go run in the freezing cold after only 3 hours of sleep. I just can't sleep right now...it's my least favorite early pregnancy symptom. I'm bone tired but my mind will not shut off so I just doze and toss and turn all night. I will be back on track Monday though and since Christmas vacation will be over we'll be able to work out indoors again (we use the basketball gym in our community center to do our boot camp during the really cold days and during Christmas break latch key kids use the gym so we couldn't use the gym for 2 weeks and have been freezing our buns off!!)

#7 of 107 Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

How did everyone do this week? I made it to all 4 workouts this week...Friday's was the hardest to go to because I dry heaved through the whole thing (and on into the rest of the day...) but I still made it and feel good about going! This week I didn't get the energy boost I normally do from working out. Instead I just wanted to come home and sleep for hours and hours! Not getting any good sleep at night

#8 of 107 Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM

I only did yoga once and body pump once. I was a slacker this week.
#9 of 107 Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM

I'm kind of half-assed about yoga, and that's it. I'd like to get a little more strict with it. I'm a horrible self-motivator when it comes to exercise, though, which is probably why I'm still 10-15 pounds up from my last pregnancy (when I gained 60 pounds).

I really need to get a good Pregnancy Yoga DVD. I have one already, but it sucks. I didn't know until I got it, that pretty much everything she does, she uses these huge bolsters and sofa cushions and rolled up towels and god knows what else. I do Hatha yoga, with really no props. I don't want to use props. *sigh* Anyone know of a good Yoga DVD?

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#10 of 107 Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 PM

I really enjoyed a stroller class but quit during the summer (I'm kinda wimpy about weather) Anyways, I've been dying to exercise but I'm scared to commit $100/30 weeks when any day now I might be unable to crawl out of bed at 7:30am lol.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#11 of 107 Old 01-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Ok, as my tummy get flabbier, I have finally found my motivation. I have worked out almost every day this week so far

Sunday- 30 min elliptical and upper body weights
Monday- 3 mile walk
Tuesday- 30 min elliptical and lower body weights
Thursday- 3 mile walk and possibly the gym

Keep me on track!

I worked out almost every day of the second 2 trimesters with DD and had a great birth and lost the weight very quickly. Hoping for that again.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#12 of 107 Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 PM

I was doing good last year because I joined a club with few other ladies. Now we haven't been doing it and I have been sitting on my butt. Monday I did some workout that was on TV and then my legs and butt were soooo sore the next couple days. Today I need to get moving again.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#13 of 107 Old 01-21-2010, 07:09 PM

I do pilates 3 times a week, and light weight training 3 times a week. (at home, my work out frerak DH built a small gym thing on one side of our bedroom)

But I've slacked off the past 3 weeks... when really I should be MORE dedicated now.
#14 of 107 Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 PM

Anyone else do CrossFit? I was so excited that they have workouts for moms! www.crossfitmom.com I lifted weights regularly when I was pregnant with DS, but these are by far the best workouts I've come across.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#15 of 107 Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 PM

So far this week:
Sun-25 minute prenatal yoga
Monday- 4 mile run/walk
Tuesday-40 minute prenatal yoga
Wednesday-30 min elliptical and upper body weights
Thursday (plan on 4 mile run/walk)

Keep me motivated ladies!

#16 of 107 Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM

HA! I'm sorry...I just had to say...

Yes I'm working out. I'm working on getting OUT of bed. hahahaha.

No time. No energy. Maybe in my next life.

(I really would like to though...maybe soon? At least start walking a bit.)

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#17 of 107 Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 PM

I'm going to do my prenatal yoga dvd on a daily basis unil the weather gets nice, then I'll start going for walks. And this summer I'll be swimming. I know that if I try to do any "intense" cardio workouts, I just won't stick with them. Plus, I have to do things that ds can kind of do with me. I walked a lot when I was pregnant with ds and did a lot of stretching and felt good. I'm not into working out for weight management anyway.

wife to DH 6/25/05, mama to DS 5/26/08 & DS2 9/1/10
#18 of 107 Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 PM

*lighthearted*

Ummm...ok...are you sure some ladies on here aren't fibbing a bit...

I can barely get out of bed. In fact, I am now spending many hours in bed...or on the couch.

I actually crawled into the kitchen and sat next to the fridge to get stuff out for cooking.

Glad I didn't drop that $$$ on the classes afterall lol.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#19 of 107 Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
*lighthearted*

I can barely get out of bed. In fact, I am now spending many hours in bed...or on the couch.

I actually crawled into the kitchen and sat next to the fridge to get stuff out for cooking.

Wanna come to my house? We can sit on the couch and watch movies and eat and sleep and get fat together. lol.

Seriously, though, I may look into crossfit in a few more weeks when maybe I have a bit more energy. Just making it though the day wipes me out.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#20 of 107 Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 AM

I have to say that my 2 hour nap today (and every day) gets me through things a lot easier. DD takes a nap, and I just nap with her.

DH motivates me to get off the couch too. Plus, it is a little 'me' time and I wouldn't get it if I don't workout.

#21 of 107 Old 01-28-2010, 12:33 AM

im planning, tonight, to try something new. Because I have a problem falling and staying asleep, every time I wake up (about every 1 1/2 hours) im going to clean until I am exhausted again, then sleep until I wake up again... and see if that either 1. helps me sleep through the night or 2. finally gets my house clean.

Either way I win!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#22 of 107 Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
*lighthearted*

Well...I did just come here to admit I have not done a single thing that could qualify as exercise this week! I've been tired, the girls had colds, and now I have their cold. I won't be going to boot camp the rest of the week, but I should be back on track for Monday. I've been averaging 3 days a week of boot camp so far

#23 of 107 Old 01-28-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
im planning, tonight, to try something new. Because I have a problem falling and staying asleep, every time I wake up (about every 1 1/2 hours) im going to clean until I am exhausted again, then sleep until I wake up again... and see if that either 1. helps me sleep through the night or 2. finally gets my house clean.

Either way I win!
I love the way you think!

#24 of 107 Old 02-07-2010, 05:55 PM

This week:
Monday- 2 mile run- 2 mile walk
Tuesday- weights (upper body) 30 min elliptical
Wednesday- rest
Thursday- 1 mile run- 2 mile walk
Friday-2 mile run
Saturday-rest
Sunday- 30 minute yoga

I am hoping to get 2 days of gym in and at least 2 days running (maybe 2 days of yoga???)

I am feeling pretty good this week with nausea only after lunch! I think it is beginning to go away which would be the same as with DD, I was feeling fabulous all the time by 11 weeks (only 4 more days!!!)

#25 of 107 Old 02-07-2010, 06:14 PM

I ordered three prenatal workout DVDs this weekend. Does that count?

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#26 of 107 Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Man I just have to say...I must be a tub a lard heart attack in the making!

2 miles a day...I can't remember the last time I ran one mile.

And I'm not happy about it, but I depressingly find myself wondering if something is wrong with me...how do people do this? (And I guess I'm referring to even outside the 1st trimester). If I ran 2 miles, if I could even get through the 1st mile w/o an attack, I'd have a fever and be in bed the next day.

I am seriously not feeling good about my body after reading what you women can do in the 1st trimester.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#27 of 107 Old 02-08-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

If it makes you feel any better...I don't know how I'm doing it either! I am not a runner. AT ALL. I hate it. But, it's part of the workout that our boot camp does and I seem to be getting better and better at it (i.e. I don't feel like I want to die after running for 2 seconds) but, I never ever would have been able to start something like running while I was preggo...otherwise I would really have died I think Sometimes I spend the rest of the day unable to do anything because my energy is zapped. I hope that goes away in the second tri!

#28 of 107 Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 PM

I'm currently 10 wks, 4 days and just starting to feel better and getting some energy back! So my plan is start hitting the gym again in addition to my daily 40 min walks (someone has to walk the dog). I think i'm going to buy a trainer to put my bike on so I can just do that in the basement while watching tv.

I did get my butt kicked today doing prenatal yoga for the first time. Good lord!!! I'm normally a runner and I didn't think yoga would do this to me. boy, was I wrong!
#29 of 107 Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Wow, i feel terrible today. DD slept so bad last night and I am feeling so sick. The plan was to go to the gym today, but I can't even heft myself off the seat, let alone onto a treadmill.

Hopefully the rest of the week will get better.

#30 of 107 Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
Wow, i feel terrible today. DD slept so bad last night and I am feeling so sick. The plan was to go to the gym today, but I can't even heft myself off the seat, let alone onto a treadmill.

Hopefully the rest of the week will get better.
How much sleep I get the night before definitely affects my ability to work out the next day. Way more than it ever did non pregnant!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page