Scared - 'threatening miscarriage'.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping someone can offer some anecdotal similar stories with happy endings...
I got a BFP on the 22nd and was very happy, as I had miscarried for most of the year (pregnant in March, bled in June at 11 weeks, assumed miscarriage thought complete, no signs of infection til hemorrhaging the last day of August and having an emergency D & C to remove infected tissue).

On Monday night (the 29th) I started bleeding again. I figured that was that, but when I emailed my symptoms to my PCP, he said it's just a 'threatening miscarriage' and I should take it easy and have complete pelvic rest, and get in to see an OB right away. Since it's the holiday and I didn't get this advice til yesterday afternoon, that means tomorrow (if they're open) or Monday.

I really want to take his optimism, but I feel crushed to be potentially going through the same thing (though with less complications since I'm only five weeks along now..)
The bleeding has let up, and I'm spending as much time on the couch as possible (I already have a 2 1/2 year old) and drinking lots of water.

Anyone been through similar with a happy ending, or is my doctor just a crazy pollyanna?
#2 of 18 Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM

How much are you bleeding? You could bhave a sub chorionic hematoma - its like a blood blister in your uterus. I've heard of women having gushing blood and it was an sch - I had one myself with DD though I just spotted and it resolved by 20wks.

Is your bleeding clotty at all?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#3 of 18 Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 AM
slf

I have no advice, but wanted to offer hugs and all the positive thoughts I can send.

Sandi- firmly attached mama to DS (Feb/08) cautiously expecting #2 09/10
#4 of 18 Old 01-02-2010, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, may be TMI for some:

The bleeding is very red, with little bits of tissue, but I wouldn't say really clotty.
#5 of 18 Old 01-02-2010, 02:28 AM

I would go into the urgent care or an OB if they are open on Saturdays - it may be that you have low progesterone (in which case you should be on progesterone asap) or some other reason you are bleeding (and frankly, having to wiat until Monday would really suck). Ask specifically for a transvaginal ultrasound and a progesterone/HCG check.(they will probably try a abdominal and that's not going to show much this early). *hugs* I will be praying that you have a sticky sticky baby in there.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#6 of 18 Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 PM

I'm SS you are dealing with this mama I can attest to the fact that not ALL bleeding - even heavy - indicates miscarriage. I had HORRIBLE bleeding with my pregnancy with me daughter. Mild bleeding at least 14-15 times - every few weeks. And at 7,10,14,17, and 21 weeks I had VERY heavy bleeding - I was soaking through a super pad every 1/2 hour. I had a sub-chor hemorrhage and a VERY low placenta - my placenta covered my cervix until 28 weeks when it finally moved up. There is nothing scarier for sure, but please know there are happy endings!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#7 of 18 Old 01-02-2010, 05:13 PM
slf

How are you doing today?

#8 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking. Still taking it easy. The bleeding is back to minimal spotting, but still red. I'm spending a lot of time on the couch taking it easy....Calling the doc first thing on Monday. Having some 'traditional' pregnancy symptoms too (bloating, mild cramping, achy ovaries...) so that's kind of reassuring, I suppose. I just want to be happy, yet I'm afraid to get my hopes up....
#9 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 03:09 AM

I don't have any advice or first hand experience, but I just wanted to tell you a story of a Live Journal friend of mine who had a similar experience. She was bleeding for over a week if I recall, maybe two weeks and was terrified that she was losing the baby. I don't know what her official diagnosis was or if they even found a cause for her bleeding. I think her placenta may have been in the front...I forgot what that is called. But not sure if that was a direct cause of her bleeding. She went and had a couple of ultrasounds and was put on strict pelvic rest until the bleeding stopped and now has a beautiful baby girl. It was a happy ending and I hope this is encouraging for you. Take it easy until you get to the doctor.

cd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif
Our dream come true, Chloe Aleksandra arrived on 9-10-10.
#10 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 03:12 AM

I hope you find some answers soon. I have a dear friend who bled for the first 14 weeks of her pregnancy but didn't misscarriage.
Wishing for peace and health for you and the baby.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#11 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'll find out for sure tomorrow (hopefully), but if I POAS now, it's negative. I just need to make sure it's cleared out and see if I need some sort of supplement since I've now miscarried twice in a row.

Thanks for your support. Maybe I'll make it back in another month or two...
#12 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckiB View Post
Well, I'll find out for sure tomorrow (hopefully), but if I POAS now, it's negative. I just need to make sure it's cleared out and see if I need some sort of supplement since I've now miscarried twice in a row.

Thanks for your support. Maybe I'll make it back in another month or two...
, mama. I'm so sorry. Will be thinking and praying for you and your family today.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#13 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 PM

Oh, I am so sorry :-(

#14 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 04:35 PM
slf

I'm so sorry Becki.

#15 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 05:05 PM

I been thinking about you since you first posted Becki. I'm so sorry!

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#16 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 06:21 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping it would work out for you. *hugs*

cd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif
Our dream come true, Chloe Aleksandra arrived on 9-10-10.
#17 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 PM

So sorry for your loss Becki I would definitely push your provider to run a recurrent miscarriage panel. They usually wait for three losses, they did for me. After my chemical pregnancy in October, I found out I have a genetic disorder that is pretty easily managed. Again, so sorry... Lots of hugs!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#18 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 PM

I'm so sorry ((hugs)). I hope you recover quickly and are back to the DDCs as soon as you want to be.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page