Good freezer recipes for m/s? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I don't know about you guys, but with DD I was so morning sick all day and it was worse at night. I could either cook the food or I could eat it, but not both. It sucked. I'm also hypoglycemic so I really really needed to eat. We survived on what DH could cook and mashed potatoes and saltines.

This time around, I want to stock up the freezer so I can just pull food out to reheat. M/s started at 5w4d last time and I'm 4w5d today... so I need to get on the ball here. I am already starting to feel queasy and have a metallic taste in my mouth. Yuck!

Anyway, I thought maybe we could all share recipes for the freezer or crockpot. Sound good to you guys?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#2 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Here is one I love - not only is it a crockpot recipe, but it freezes well too!

Olive Garden's Pasta Fagioli
* 1 lb ground beef
* 1/2 chopped onion
* 1-2 carrots grated
* 2 stalks chopped celery
* 1 (14 ounce) cans undrained italian diced tomatoes
* 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
* 1 (16 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
* 2 (10 ounce) cans beef or chicken stock
* 1.5 teaspoons oregano
* 1 teaspoons pepper
* 2.5 teaspoons parsley
* 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
* 1 (20 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
* 1/2 cup pasta (small pasta, like acini de pepe)

Directions
1. Brown beef in a skillet.
2. Drain fat from beef and add to crock pot with everything except pasta.
3. Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours.
4. During last 30 min on high or 1 hour on low, add pasta.

SO good. Add more tabasco if you want more of a kick. I know I love spicy foods while I'm pregnant.

These rolls go GREAT with the soup and are easy to make if you have a mixer.

Cornmeal Rolls (vegan and regular)
Vegan subs are in parentheses.

1/3 cup cornmmeal
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick of Nucoa or other dairy free margarine)
2 cups milk (1 can coconut milk)
1 pkg yeast
1/4 cup warm water (must be between 105 and 115 deg)
2 eggs, beaten (3 tsp Ener-G egg replacer plus 1/3 cup water)
4-5 cups flour

Put cornmeal, sugar, salt, butter and milk into pot and cook until thick - stir frequently. It will be the consistency of thickish cream of wheat.

Cool mixture (I put onto a cookie sheet and put outside and it cools it faster).

Add yeast to warm water - then add yeast/water mix to the cooled cornmeal mixture.

Add eggs and mix, then add flour one cup at a time (I use 4 cups and it works well).

Rise in warmed oven - punch down and then add flour on counter or cutting board and flatten with your hands - use the rim of a glass to cut circles in dough. Or you can put a layer of cornmeal on a pan and then just roll the dough out to meet all edges. Take a pizza cutter and cut squares into it like pull apart dinner rolls.

Sprinkle a thin layer of cornmeal over a cookie sheet and put circles of dough on it - cover with towel and stick back in warmed oven to rise again.

When risen, cook for 15-20 minutes at 375 deg. When done, take a stick of butter (margarine) and baste the tops of the rolls.

(I find that cooking for longer at a lower temp works better for the vegan rolls)

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#3 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Oooh, this is just the thread I need. I had all day m/s from 6 weeks to 16 weeks last time, and couldn't even step foot in the kitchen during that time.

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

#4 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 02:59 AM

I like all sorts of soups :Beef stew, Split pea, Turkey and veggies

Tonight I fixed a big batch of green chili pork (just a pork shoulder cooked on low until it's falling apart in chicken broth, onions and green chilis)

Some other stuff I like to freeze:
Curries
Maranara with ground beef
Meatloaf
Quiche fixings- we're no longer eating gluten now though so I need to find a better crust recipe or just make this as a frittata. You can just mix all the ingredients for the quiche as well as the eggs in a freezer bag. When you defrost it you just pour it into the shell and bake it.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#5 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 11:09 PM

Great thread!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#6 of 7 Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipes Kalamos. They were yummy and easily adaptable for the allergens we avoid here. Dh and ds loved both and the rolls are ds' breakfast fave now too!

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#7 of 7 Old 01-06-2010, 09:44 PM

I just made this Sausage Soup tonight. YUM! And pretty easy too. I imagine you could crockpot it after sauteeing the carrots and onions. I think it would be good veg/vegan as well; I think the only thing NOT vegan is the sausage and broth--maybe add another type of beans and of course veg stock?

I did add spinach at the end of cooking and used Great Northern beans instead of kidney while omitting the noodles.

It turned out well enough that I'm adding it to the "for company" list. And the recipe says it freezes well!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page