Coffee! What are you going to do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my first pregnancy I quit caffeine right after I found out I was pregnant and then the second time around I was still caffeine-free when I found out I was pregnant. Well, this time around with two little ones and still little sleep, I have grown dependent on it...so, to quit or not to quit?

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#2 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Congrats and welcome!

I'm also on pgcy #3, and I have never given up caffiene completely. With my first, I limited myself to about 10oz of coffee each morning. In the first tri, I didn't want it at. all., so that solved itself. I also needed it periodically to deal with horrendous migraines--I maxed out any prescription meds I was allowed during that pgcy due to their severity, and sometimes only a Mt. Dew would take the edge off.

With pg #2, I also had a coffee aversion for a portion of the first tri. We switched to 1/2 caf coffee--we would mixed half regular and half decaffienated when we made our morning pot. I also limited myself to one medium sized cup daily. That's what I plan to do this time as well--but I need to get to a grocery to buy some decaf.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#3 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the coffee aversion! I had that both times too! I am not there yet, but I remember it well. I can recall seeing someone carrying a coffee cup and gagging!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#4 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM

I'm doing what I did with my previous pregnancies and mixing my regular with decaf, a little more every morning until I get down to 10 to 20% caffeinated. I'll leave that much in for the first trimester, then I usually go back up to 50/50. I was telling my DH that it is psychological, at 10% caffeinated, but I can't give it up!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#5 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 PM

I quit coffee. I'll have a frappe when we (hopefully) go to Greece in April.
Harder still, I've quit chocolate for the first trimester...I think...

Hi Ilovemyavery! Congrats. Nice to see you here!

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#6 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
slf

i've quit again (i'm surprised i did it so easily because in nov/dec i was having WAY more than my usual...)

Sandi- firmly attached mama to DS (Feb/08) cautiously expecting #2 09/10
#7 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 PM

I usually drank pepsi but after 5 months of not conceiving, and reading an article linking caffeine intake to reduced fertility (50-60% reduced!) I quit in November. So I'm caffeine free right now, but I do sneak a sip of DH's coke every once in a while!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#8 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM

I'm in the half-caf club. I quit coffee entirely with my first, picked it up again right before I got pregnant with my second, and weaned back to half-caf a couple months ago, and don't really intend to quit.
I kind of feel like something natural, especially if I'm not drinking it by the pot, is the least of my concerns in a world full of junk food. Haha, that, and I have to be at work at 5am most mornings, and I'm not sure I could/am willing to do that without my coffee.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#9 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM

I thought giving up coffee would be hard because it just cheers me to hold a warm cup in these cold, cold mornings, but like some of the others, it has just not interested me AT. ALL. So that's lucky, I guess. We'll see if it lasts.

I did have a part of a coke the other night to settle my stomach and then today I had a little bit of Dr. Pepper with lunch (my first lunch, that is) and it was SO good. YUM!

When my sister was pregnant with Baby #1, she ate two tacos from Taco Cabana and a Dr. Pepper every morning of her first tri-mester and that baby turned out beautiful and perfect in every way.

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#10 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodmachine View Post

Hi Ilovemyavery! Congrats. Nice to see you here!
Nice to be here! And to see you! I'm only 13 DPO, so still just a little bit pregnant, but I'm sure feeling it this time, as opposed to my chem. preg. when I didn't have any of those early symptoms. I'm very hopeful, and thinking lots of sticky baby thoughts!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#11 of 18 Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 PM

I'm down to a glass or two of iced tea per day, and 1-2c of coffee. That's a HUGE reduction for me - I'm used to 5-6c of coffee per day!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#12 of 18 Old 01-04-2010, 03:05 AM

I'm down to a half cup of half caf coffee in the mornings. Ehem- dh doesn't know it's half caf as I do all the grocery shopping and he hasn't complained. I am considering letting go of coffee all together, but I am so in the habit of having a small cup in the morning. If I could find a tea that's not too sweet and kind of...brown tasting ( I don't know how to describe it, lol), I could switch to that.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#13 of 18 Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 AM

With DS I actually CRAVED it. Weird right? Like... I constantly wanted a Jelly Donut and Coffee. (ETA - does that mean he will be a police officer when he grows up? LOL thats what he wants to do and I didnt realize that connection until just now) Or any junk food.

Never had any problems with that pregnancy to make me quit it completely (my blood pressure has ALWAYS been perfect... which is odd since most of my family have blood pressure problems)

Oddly, once he was born and started eating solid foods... the kid is not junk food crazy! He loves him some green beans (like seriously if that was all I served he would be content) hes almost 7 now... and in school... doesnt show any signs of add/adhd so I dont feel that what little coffee I did allow myself had any negative effect on his development (I wasnt drinking it every single meal like I craved... but I would have about a cup per day)

With DD though even the smell of coffee was horrible.

This time... Ill do whatever my body tells me to. I trust it.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#14 of 18 Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 PM

With my 1st pregnancy, I avoided it. When DD was breastfeeding she reacted horribly when I drank it. With my 2nd and 3rd pregnancy, I drank coffee, and when I drank it and breastfed, no negative reaction. My theory is... get them used to the caffeine while they're in utero!!!

Island mama to DD (10), DS (5), DS (4) and DD (Aug 31 '10)
#15 of 18 Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM

I cut back but didn't get rid of caffiene completely during my first pregnancies, but since I was battling severe migraines early last year I cut out caffiene entirely to try and get rid of them. It helped (and now I can get a migraine from too much caffiene) and now I'm already off it

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#16 of 18 Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM

I cut back on it before TTC this month...I had also read some studies about caffeine reducing fertility, and even causing m/c, so after our m/c in August I had to re-think my coffee addiction. It took a few months to wean myself off, but now I'm caffeine-free.

Honestly...just the idea of having another m/c is so scary that I won't even take a sip of coke or a cup of black tea! It's crazy, I know, but oh, the way we try to control the outcome of things completely out of our control!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#17 of 18 Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 PM

I have cut out caffeine cold turkey at this point. Not worth the risk to me, however small, given that there are alternatives and I've had many losses already.

However I reserve the right to add it back in when I am out of the first trimester and the weather gets yucky here. I was due with Toad when it was very hot and humid out and my asthma flared badly to the point of me being hospitalized several times. I don't want to go through that again, but if I do caffeine is one of the things that helps me when I am having breathing issues.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#18 of 18 Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 AM

I have mostly cut out coffee, but my last shift, I was working a 12 and by 4 PM I was exhausted! SO, I had a half cup. I didn't want to make any mistakes at work r/t sleepiness.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page