Mothering Forum banner

Cloth Diaper Thread

12K views 256 replies 59 participants last post by  tribord 
#1 ·
Cause it's never to early to start obsessing about your stash!

I've still got to dig out all of Em's old diapers.

Anyone else planning on putting this baby in cloth?

#27 ·
ThreeLittleBirds--I have heard that the one size diapers can be very bulky when used in the smaller sizes because the fabric is folded and snapped up. I haven't actually tried them out, but we have a few CD shops here in MD, you could try to check them out in person.

#28 ·
I love my one size. DD was a BIG baby and I started when she was around 16 lbs (3 months). They were not bulky at that stage, but I do plan on doing prefolds and covers for the first bit with this baby.

#29 ·
We used one size diapers with DS from about 3 weeks on... they were really bulky, but we just kinda lived with it because it was cheaper than buying different sizes
It usually meant he was wearing clothes 1 size up (at 3 months he was wearing 6 month bottoms etc). This time around we might splurge on some small nb dipes, but it wasn't really that bad using the OS with a wee one... though we did wait until his cord stump came off before using them, since the belly button was definitely covered with the diaper at that point.

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeLittleBirds View Post
We plan on CDing from the beginning. I started CDing with my son when he was 1 1/2, and wished i had started sooner (later is better than never!)

I do have a question though.
FOr a NB stash, how many will I need?? I am thinking I will get the one sixe fits all. Seems to make financial sense to get one size that fits all the stages.

So about how many will i need??
If you do it from the beginning, as others mentioned, the one-size are awfully bulky.

Really I'd start the one-size around 3 months, and just get 18-24 newborn prefolds to last you until then. The really nice prefolds are only about 20 bucks for a dozen, I got my newborn prefolds on clearance for 80 cents each when pregnant with my last baby.

As far as covers, 5-6 in XS or newborn size, 4 in small size.

#31 ·
ME! I plan to with this one. I didn't with DD because we used a laundromat to do clothes. But I really want to with this baby. I want to get some AIO's so that DF doesn't complain about them though I'll be doing diapers most of the time anyway. ANyone know a good brand for AIOs or other daddy friendly CD?

#32 ·
My .02...

The whole "use the covers again" thing never works for me. Granted, mine are all double-layered covers; I don't have any of the wipe-off PUL on the inside type, which would make a big difference. I didn't buy any of the wipe-off kind because I knew I would be just putting a folded prefold down the middle and didn't want the plasticky feeling on the baby of the PUL, and because the exposed PUL didn't see too durable to me, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

All but a few of my diapers are one-size, and I found it to be a non-issue with my newborn last time. But, she was 9lb 6oz. I have a bunch of mommy's touch one size covers which I like alot. They are easy to snap to different sizes, and get teeny tiny without much bulk. I just use a prefold of the correct size under them. Sometimes instead of having the bulkiness of the snapped down size, I just snap it where I need it to be, and let there be a flap that sticks up over their belly. Didn't seem to bother dd any. The beauty of it is that a.)I can grab a diaper and know that it's going to fit my baby or my toddler, and I don't have to keep track of which diaper belongs to which kid, and b.) well, they still fit my toddler. I have all I need. I try to buy a diaper a month, or every other month, just to keep my stash going and prevent having to buy a ton when these eventually wear out. I almost always pick a one-size pocket now, and have found that the fuzzi bunz are definately the highest quality, and best fit, imo.

But, you can't beat a prefold and a cover. Simple. And, to achieve the simplicity of an aio or a pocket, I fold my covers and prefolds into diapers. Then, I can just pick one up and put it on the baby, no folding or guessing. (And I can also easily grab a few to toss in the diaper bag.)

I have also fallen in love with wool again. I mentioned this on another thread, but I have a problem with my babies being too fat to fasten a prefold on them with a snappi. The correct length isn't wide enough, the wides are too wide, and the long ones just have ridiculous bulk, and I still have trouble making the edges meet. (I've bought a lot of prefolds, can you tell?) If you can't fasten on the prefold, then you can't do a pull-on style cover. BUT, I just discovered how to fold dh's old t-shirts into diapers, using the sleeves as wings to snappi. Beautiful. And so cute. And cheap.

I think I may sew those into fitteds though, because when they #2 and it gets in the wrinkles of the t-shirt. Well, let's just say that's no fun. I decided that that particular t-shirt had been in dh's rag box in the garage. It had already been considered trash. There's just some things I can't do in the first trimester. So, there...consider yourself warned.

Oh, and if you want a wrap style wool cover, you can get them fairly cheap from wallypop.net. I do find that my chunkier babies are not a great fit with the these wraps, but we can make do.

#33 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illiana View Post
ME! I plan to with this one. I didn't with DD because we used a laundromat to do clothes. But I really want to with this baby. I want to get some AIO's so that DF doesn't complain about them though I'll be doing diapers most of the time anyway. ANyone know a good brand for AIOs or other daddy friendly CD?
We don't use AIOs, but my husband loves the fitteds... which is kind of like an AIO, I think, except the cover is seperate, which isn't that big a deal really. I mean, he CAN snappi a prefold, he's just never been very good at it, and he likes a velcro-fitted where he just puts it on like a disposable, and then puts a PUL wrap cover on top of it. It's an extra step, but there's no learning curve for the dads, and if you want an alternative to AIOs, I like the Thirsties fitted and covers (I have a lanky baby, though, that brand may not work as well for chubbier babies).

#34 ·
I've been having so much fun looking at teeny tiny diapers and thinking about what we'll use with this baby!

I think we'll use fitteds/prefolds/pins and wool for the first few months, then switch to AIOs when baby gets squirmy. that worked really well with the last ones - the pins and wool become a pain for me after a while

can't wait to start buying!!!!

#35 ·
Quote:

we use swaddlebees AIOs on our 2 year old and they're great! They do take forever and a day to dry though - just beware of that. Summer, no biggie, they just hang outside, but I hate the 2 or 3 dryer cycles to dry during winter

totally easy to use, though, fairly trim and the side-snaps allow for kids like mine who have tiny waists and bigger thighs

#36 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsey8 View Post
I think we'll use fitteds/prefolds/pins and wool for the first few months, then switch to AIOs when baby gets squirmy. that worked really well with the last ones - the pins and wool become a pain for me after a while

pins? not snappi's? I know some people do it, but I have such an outrageous fear of sticking myself I can't imagine why anyone would

#37 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
pins? not snappi's? I know some people do it, but I have such an outrageous fear of sticking myself I can't imagine why anyone would

I hurt myself pretty badly a few times with a snappi, but pins I can do in my sleep. Even on a wiggly toddler. On a newborn that lays still, its so much easier!

I feel like I can get a much better fit with pins, too. Its just what you get used to, I guess.

I am snappi impaired.

#38 ·
Another snappi fan here. I can do the snappi with one hand on a prefold while using the other hand and one elbow to keep her from turning over and rolling off the changing table. With the pins, there would probably be blood if I tried doing that. Lots of blood.

#39 ·
We did cloth dipes with DD2 and I loved it! I can't wait to start doing it again. I have a good newborn kissaluv stash but after that I'm going to have to buy some new stuff as DD2 never grew out of her mediums and they were well used iykwim. I just found a local diaper maker and I'm bidding on the cutest black AIO with an embroidered skull and crossbones and the sweetest red wipes on facebook. I hope I get it!

#40 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by L J View Post
I hurt myself pretty badly a few times with a snappi, but pins I can do in my sleep. Even on a wiggly toddler. On a newborn that lays still, its so much easier!

I feel like I can get a much better fit with pins, too. Its just what you get used to, I guess.
Oh I'm actually a little bit jealous. I wish I could love pins. They make prefolds last so much longer. I tried them though with supposedly good pins and it was a disaster waiting to happen.

#41 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeLittleBirds View Post
We plan on CDing from the beginning. I started CDing with my son when he was 1 1/2, and wished i had started sooner (later is better than never!)

I do have a question though.
FOr a NB stash, how many will I need?? I am thinking I will get the one sixe fits all. Seems to make financial sense to get one size that fits all the stages.

So about how many will i need??
I found the one size diapers huge on my kids as newborns. They didn't fit well until about 3mos.

#42 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kryztuh View Post
ThreeLittleBirds--I have heard that the one size diapers can be very bulky when used in the smaller sizes because the fabric is folded and snapped up. I haven't actually tried them out, but we have a few CD shops here in MD, you could try to check them out in person.
We used the bumGenius from about 8 weeks with DD2. I think she was about 10lbs when we started. They didn't seem any bulkier than the other cloth diapers I was using (mostly Fuzzibunz). I would definitely recommend them...but they have changed since I used them so I'm not sure if the newer ones are more bulky or not. They don't seem to be.

#44 ·
I'm a FTM and have done LOTS of research and think i know what I want...

for the first 3 mos, Thirsties size 0 covers with indian prefolds and snappis. I'll buy 4-5 covers and then 24+ prefolds since they're cheap at $1 ea. If we were rich we'd go with Kissaluv 0's, but with $1 prefolds vs $12ea KLs, it's no question. Even renting is way more expensive.

from there on out, a mix of fuzzibunz and BumGenius Organics (the snap kind).
The daycare we chose will only do all-in-ones, so covers and liners are out of the question.

At 12 weeks I'll order one of each, though, to check them out. I'm super curious about the flips, but I don't get how they're much different than going with a prefold and a cover...

#45 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieInChicago View Post
I'm a FTM and have done LOTS of research and think i know what I want...

for the first 3 mos, Thirsties size 0 covers with indian prefolds and snappis. I'll buy 4-5 covers and then 24+ prefolds since they're cheap at $1 ea. If we were rich we'd go with Kissaluv 0's, but with $1 prefolds vs $12ea KLs, it's no question. Even renting is way more expensive.
Sounds good. If you can though, I'd get one more size 0 cover. I had six and really needed that many, just for the diaper blow-outs where the poop gets all over the cover. You can get by with 4-5, though, if you have to. The Thirsties is a great cover, it's all about the leg gussets-- liked those SO much more than Bummis.

#47 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkblue0729 View Post
CD'ing here
Thank god for diaper services. I echo all of the mamas who suggest showing reluctant DPs the math...it is seriously mind boggling.
All right...enough of you have mentioned "the math" to totally intrigue me! Please, please share.

I'm now a SAHM, so my life is a little less crazy than it was with my first two. We've never CDd, but I'm intrigued. This may be our last kiddo. Does the math still work out if I buy dipes for this one? How??

Thanks!

#48 ·
I hope to cloth diaper and I've all ready started to look for some good deals on gently used diapers. Since it will be and the little one and my cat (who does not help with laundry) I'll be using sposies as well especially during the first few weeks when I'll be pretty tired from birthing and getting used to the new routine.

#49 ·
I just bought my first CD! I got 4 rocky mountain one sizes. Yesterday i ordered some (36-infant size) IPF and one cover of small Thirsties, small Thirsties Duo, and small Bumkins to see which ones to order more in. I have 2 prowraps NB and 3 bummis nb that someone gave me with my daughter but she was too big for them by the time i got them.

I didn't cd with dd but i really wanted to so i'm very excited with cding this baby.

How many covers do i need for newborn? (I have 5)
In size small? I'll have 3 once these come in.
And mediums? (i have one or two really old worn ones not something i'm thrilled about)
i do have the 4 RM one sizes now also (with small and large inserts.)

I want to order some more when i get the "samples" in but don't know how many i'll need.. i want to at least get any nb and smalls in soon.
OH and DF doesn't know.. lol that sounds bad, but my ex rarely changed diapers so i figure going off of that my df is rarely going to change diapers therefore it is my decision what to diaper baby in.. besides until i move in with him next month, my money is still mine.. so i can stock up on baby shit that he probably would fuss at me for and he'll never know that i didn't have it with my dd.
heh.. i'm horrible..

#50 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post
All right...enough of you have mentioned "the math" to totally intrigue me! Please, please share.

I'm now a SAHM, so my life is a little less crazy than it was with my first two. We've never CDd, but I'm intrigued. This may be our last kiddo. Does the math still work out if I buy dipes for this one? How??

Thanks!
oh yes, i am getting a full supply to only use on one baby.

http://diaperline.blogspot.com/2007/06/sposie-math.html

Quote:
Sposie Math One
This will show you a break down (approximate break down) of the costs of disposables and Cloth diapers. For Sposie Math one, I will make the following assumptions:
-You are a great shopper and buy well priced disposables that are $.25 a piece. Some disposable are as much as $.38 a piece, so keep in mind if you use name brands or have high taxes in your area, you pay more for each disposable.
-You decide to use mainly pockets to diaper. There are cheaper and other options. I will profile one of the more expensive way to cloth diaper now, and the cheapest way later.
-You change diapers 7 times a day. My daughter is three months old right now, and thats probably about right for us.
-You have a moderate to light wetter. A heavier wetter may need other inserts or another system, etc...
-You choose to go with a sized diaper.

OK, here we go.
7 disposables a day at .25=$1.75 a day in diapering

Lets say you bought a "stash" of brand new pocket diapers. They will run you roughly $17 a piece, and will include one standard insert. If you wash every other day, 15 will be enough.

15 diapers at $17 each= $255

Also, to diaper full time, you'll need a few things:
Pail Liner- $15.00 (you can use other, cheaper alternatives, but to buy one online...)
2 hemp inserts to use at nights- $6 each, so $12

225+15+12= $282

You'll need to change 1128 diapers to "break even." Thats about 161 days, 5 and a half months.

May seem like a lot. Except when you are done with your size small stash- you can re-sell them. Lets say you get $12 a diaper when you re-sell (which is reasonable after one child, in EUC).

You'll get back $180. So, you've actually only spent $108 to diaper through the size small stage. Thats only 408 changes, so 58 days, less than 2 months.

So, for the cost of two months of disposables, you've diapered your child for 6 months (what I would say is average for a child to outgrow smalls. However- I've known 2 month old children who have zoomed through smalls- and 1 year old children still in smalls).

Now- because we've gone a sized route, and you've sold all your diapers- you have to do it again

Except you can re-use the pail liner and hemp. You will however, want to add some sort of sprayer to your home when your child starts on solid foods, so you can rinse your diaper (no touching toilet water). They cost about $40.

So for a medium stash,
15 x $17= $255 + $40 for the sprayer means you'll spend $295 for your medium stash.

Sell them again when you are done. You get back $180. You spent $115.

To break even in your medium stash, you'll need to change 460 diapers. 66 days, a little over two months.

Again "average" will be that your child is in mediums for a year. So you've just saved 10 months worth of disposables.

And now its time for larges. This time- you don't need anything special. Just the dipes.

So again, 15 x $17 = still $255 Sell them again for $180. You've spent $75.

300 changes, 43 days, a month and a half to break even.

Lets add that together. You've spent $298 to cloth diaper your average sized child (will be more if you have a large child who needs Ex-large- less if you have a small child who stays in mediums) until potty training.

I've just googled it- the first study to come up says 37mths is the "average" time to potty train. Thats a little over age 3, so lets just make it 36 months for the sake of my sanity.

7 diapers a day x 30 days a month x 36 months= 7,560 changes

Now wait a minute- what about the cost of utilities and soap?
I have cloth diapered from the beginning. However- I've been told by many mothers they noticed no change in their utility bills. So, I'm going to say the utilities go up $5 a month. I have used half a bottle of soap in my 3 months of diapering- so for 3 years, I'll say you need 6 bottles of soap. Soap costs me under $3 a bottle.

$5 x 36= $180
$3 x 6= $18

We'll add $198 to the $298 you've spent on diapers. So total, you've spent $496 to cloth diaper your child for three years.

So, you've now spent $.07 a change to cloth diaper.

7560 changes x $.25 a disposable= $1890 for three years (this does not count pull-up type diapers, which are more expensive)

You can cloth diaper for your child's three years in diapers for the same amount you spend on 6 1/2 months of disposables. Not counting wipes.

What if you decide to keep your diapers for your next child? In the example above, you've made back $540 with selling your diapers.

$496 + $540 = $1036 you've spent on diapers

$1036 / 7560 changes = $.13 a change for your first child only. Your second, and third, are free.

You've now cloth diapered for 108 months for the same price disposables would have cost for about 18 months. Thats 7 and a half years of free diapering.

Lets see what you'll save using a one size option.
15 x $17 = $255 still.

$255 / 7560 changes = $.03 a change.

You have now cloth diapered your first and second child for less than 5 months of disposables.

#51 ·
Quote:

I just bought my first CD! I got 4 rocky mountain one sizes. Yesterday i ordered some (36-infant size) IPF and one cover of small Thirsties, small Thirsties Duo, and small Bumkins to see which ones to order more in. I have 2 prowraps NB and 3 bummis nb that someone gave me with my daughter but she was too big for them by the time i got them.

I didn't cd with dd but i really wanted to so i'm very excited with cding this baby.

How many covers do i need for newborn? (I have 5)
In size small? I'll have 3 once these come in.
And mediums? (i have one or two really old worn ones not something i'm thrilled about)
i do have the 4 RM one sizes now also (with small and large inserts.)

I want to order some more when i get the "samples" in but don't know how many i'll need.. i want to at least get any nb and smalls in soon.
OH and DF doesn't know.. lol that sounds bad, but my ex rarely changed diapers so i figure going off of that my df is rarely going to change diapers therefore it is my decision what to diaper baby in.. besides until i move in with him next month, my money is still mine.. so i can stock up on baby shit that he probably would fuss at me for and he'll never know that i didn't have it with my dd.
heh.. i'm horrible..
Ideally I'd say 6 newborn covers and 4 small covers. I'm getting 4 medium covers, too-- Em is not in mediums yet, she's been in smalls from 3 months - 10 months. Probably within the next few months we'll make the jump to mediums, she's just a very long skinny banana baby.

As far as DF goes, either show him the breakdown posted just above me, or do what I did-- calculate what you would spend on a year's worth of disposable diapers (for a newborn, mind, who goes through a LOOOOOT of diapers, seriously like 18-20 a day for the first three months). Then put that figure next to what you spend on a stash of newborn and Small diapers and covers. There is a big difference. That tends to work on men.

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmich View Post
I hope to cloth diaper and I've all ready started to look for some good deals on gently used diapers. Since it will be and the little one and my cat (who does not help with laundry) I'll be using sposies as well especially during the first few weeks when I'll be pretty tired from birthing and getting used to the new routine.
I did sposies the first two weeks or so, too.

Quote:

oh yes, i am getting a full supply to only use on one baby.

http://diaperline.blogspot.com/2007/06/sposie-math.html
It's even about 10 times cheaper with prefolds. Pocket diapers are expensive. And I think they are underestimating the cost of disposables because, um, raise your hand if your newborn only goes through SEVEN diapers a day...

Basically to figure it out, I just asked friends of mine how much they spent on diapers a week, then got a figure from that on how much it would be for a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.