Forum Jump: 

#181 of 257 Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis View Post
Question for those who use prefolds:

What sort of folds do you prefer for your LOs?
The fold I do is, I think, newspaper? Basically I lay her butt on it flat, then fold the "front" part into thirds, bring it up through her legs, then kind of unfold/spread the top "front" part enough to stretch across her front, bring the back wings around and snappi.

I did the "twist" style for a while when she was new, but didn't like it as much.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#182 of 257 Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post
Not sure how many more diapers to buy.... Currently I have
2 newborn (lil Joey) AIOs
2 KL 0's fitteds
2 Bum Genius small AIOs
4 Bum Genius One Size AIOs (guessing I won't really be able to use them for some time)
6 GMD newborn prefolds
6 GMD small Prefolds
4 covers (one small thirstys, one one size kissaluv, two smaller wool)

I'm thinking about getting another dozen newborn GMD PFs
another dozen GMD small Pfs
4 thirsties duo covers
and 4-6 more KL 0s (I wish I could do ALL fitteds, but the price is crazy).

Do you think that will be a good amount? I'm hoping to do fitteds at night. Pre-folds and some fitteds in the day, and keeping the AIO's on hand for when we go out, or for my husband, untill he is comfortable with the pre-folds (he's only used disposables before, but is willing to learn).
I'd say 6 newborn covers, 4 small covers. And I'd definitely get the other Prefolds that you're thinking about getting.

I really wouldn't worry too much about fitteds at first, if money is an issue. They are good for overnights once the baby starts sleeping well, but while the baby is still in newborn size, he/she will be pooping like every hour or two day and night. So you'll have to be changing constantly anyway, and the extra absorbency of the fitted doesn't matter.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#183 of 257 Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
The fold I do is, I think, newspaper? Basically I lay her butt on it flat, then fold the "front" part into thirds, bring it up through her legs, then kind of unfold/spread the top "front" part enough to stretch across her front, bring the back wings around and snappi.

I did the "twist" style for a while when she was new, but didn't like it as much.
That sounds more like the angel wing fold?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rccgXWS2MRA this is newspaper fold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt52Gs8YmUw this is angel wing (I personally do not fold the prefold until AFTER baby is on it for this one though)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#184 of 257 Old 08-03-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
That sounds more like the angel wing fold?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rccgXWS2MRA this is newspaper fold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt52Gs8YmUw this is angel wing (I personally do not fold the prefold until AFTER baby is on it for this one though)
Okay, yeah, it's most like the Angel Wing fold. Except I don't fold the entire diaper all the way down, I just lay the baby on it while it's laying flat, and leave the butt part flat. I just fold the "front" part. Plus I use GMD prefolds so I don't have to fold down any extra length in the front.

#185 of 257 Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 PM

I'm so excited as I just ordered the rest of my diapers so I will at least be set fot the first few months. Here is my current stash.. a mix of hand me downs, gifts, and stuff I bought!

GMD Prefolds
18 - infant
18 - small
12 - meduim

6 KL 0s fitteds.

2 thirsty sz small fitted

1 little lion fitted (not sure on the size)

4 lil Joey AIOs

2 sz small BG AIOs

4 One Size BG AIO

1 Happy Hiney Pocket (the only pocket in my collection. lol. Just to add some confusion)

1 KL one size cover
2 thirstys XSmall covers
2 Thirstys Small covers
4 Thirstys duo sz 1
1 wool sm cover
1 wool meduim cover

I THINK thats all! I also bought a wet bag, and a pail liner, wool wash, and cloth wipe solution. If the KL fitteds go well I will buy more in the next size, and I plan on buying more wool covers on etsy when we have some more money. Looking forward to getting some unique covers.

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#186 of 257 Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

You look pretty set on diapers... you may need a few more newborn covers, though.

#187 of 257 Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM

sk8boarder - you do have quite a stash. good stuff!

We haven't gotten any wool covers b/c I can't bring myself to spend the money on the covers. I know they are supposed to be amazing. I'm also nervous about a wool allergy as my mom is super allergic to wool.

Cute story from last night: DH and I were in the baby's area messing around with the used BG diaps we just washed and I was telling him about all the prefold folding options. So we got one out and I showed him a few of the folds on a stuffed rabbit that's sitting in the crib right now. DH practiced the newspaper fold (he called it the burrito fold) and we snappied it right on the rabbit. It's pretty darn cute and I'm glad to see him so excited about cloth diapering! The rabbit is still diapered and sitting in the corner of the crib. DH was proud of his work.

SAHM to one precious 2 year old and wife to my loving DH. And here we go again!
****5****10****15****20****25**joy.gif*30****35****40
#188 of 257 Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis View Post
DH practiced the newspaper fold (he called it the burrito fold) and we snappied it right on the rabbit. It's pretty darn cute and I'm glad to see him so excited about cloth diapering! The rabbit is still diapered and sitting in the corner of the crib. DH was proud of his work.
Hehehe, that is cute. And there is nothing better than a guy who is not scared to change diapers. I've been very impressed that mine matches me diaper for diaper when he's home (although we rock-paper-scissors for the poop diapers).

#189 of 257 Old 08-05-2010, 08:23 PM

My UPDATED current stash:

15 small Blueberry pocket dipes
24 GMD orange edge (NB) prefolds
12 GMD Yellow edge (small) prefolds
3 NB Bummi covers
1 small Thirsties duo wrap cover
2 One size Flip covers
6 Flip stay dry inserts
1 NB AIO from an Etsy store ($7.99 and it's freakin adorable lol)
1 small fleece soaker (got it for $3.50 from a Hyenacart store and couldn't resist the adorable owl print...I have a thing for owls lol)
12 flannel/terry wipes
24 flannel/flannel wipes ($5/doz from an etsy store!)
1 bottle diaper wipe solution
3 snappis
1 large planet wise wet bag

I'd love to see some pics of your stashes if anyone is up to it

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#190 of 257 Old 08-06-2010, 12:56 AM

ok, I placed a big order on GMD today Got 24 newborn orange prefolds, and one each of their newborn/small wool covers. I'm trying to stay away from synthetics this go round....in a couple of weeks I will buy 36 yellows and a few wool covers in the next size up, and then I should be set for a while

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#191 of 257 Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM

I decided to order some flats from GMD and they should get here today!
I'm hoping I really like using the flats and can just buy more of them and not have to worry about more sizes. If not it'll be back to the prefolds

Mama to Penelope!! born 9/19/10. Missing Elliott 10/10/09. And expecting expecting again Oct '14!
#192 of 257 Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 PM

I discovered that cheapie receiving blankets are the same measurements as the smaller GMD flat folds. I'm not certain it's cheaper yet, but I think so. Another thing to check is that the flannel tends to get tighter as it's washed, making it near impossible to pin (and totally impossible to snappi). I made a bunch of flats out of flannel when dd1 was a baby and got really frustrated with the whole thing. Anyway...just thought I'd throw that out there if anyone was interested in checking it out.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#193 of 257 Old 08-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! I FINALLY ordered my first round of diapers!!! 30 infant prefolds, 4 Thirsties Duo Wrap covers, and 2 snappis. I'm disproportionately excited

Of course, now I am lusting over other things to try: some of the Wonderwraps OS covers that are on clearance, some fitteds for overnight....

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#194 of 257 Old 08-09-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! I FINALLY ordered my first round of diapers!!! 30 infant prefolds, 4 Thirsties Duo Wrap covers, and 2 snappis. I'm disproportionately excited

Of course, now I am lusting over other things to try: some of the Wonderwraps OS covers that are on clearance, some fitteds for overnight....
Yay! I know what you mean, I'm being ridiculously greedy about all the diaper items I want LOL. I am very seriously upset by the fact that I don't have any fitteds or wool

I AM planning on getting some basic fitteds from Bugga Bugga Boutique as soon as I can (Aug 13 is when she restocks!) but I think I may be SOL on the wool. We are just too tight financially for me to spend much more, dangit.

I really want some Kissaluvs 0, and some cute fitteds from Little Boppers, maybe a mutt or two to try and of course a Goodmama. I'm such a sucker for cuteness. I don't want to spend much on the really cute ones until the LO is born though so I know what adorable gender-specific things I can get.

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#195 of 257 Old 08-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn82 View Post
I'm such a sucker for cuteness.
I am SO glad that I am NOT CD is a cost-savings endeavor for me, so part of the reason it took me SO LONG to order is that I was looking for *the best deal*! I got all of that for less than $100 brand new, so I feel pretty good about it. If I were looking at the cuteness factor, I could be in some serious trouble!!!

And it's funny, but I'm intimidated by anything except prefolds and covers because then everyone starts talking about washing methods and stripping, and my lil' ol' head just starts to spin.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#196 of 257 Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM

I finally started washing my diapers today!! YAY
I've been putting it off for so long because the "washing routine" was intimidating. But I don't have to worry about that quite yet, I just need them ready for baby. Luckily I bought my prefolds "new" but from a momma that had already prepped them. Yay for less work there. I did get the flats I ordered brand new though, so I need to prep them some.

Mama to Penelope!! born 9/19/10. Missing Elliott 10/10/09. And expecting expecting again Oct '14!
#197 of 257 Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post
And it's funny, but I'm intimidated by anything except prefolds and covers because then everyone starts talking about washing methods and stripping, and my lil' ol' head just starts to spin.
Me too! I felt like I needed a PhD in diaper washing to figure it all out...so we went with the prefolds and covers. And the bonus was that they were much less expensive than all of the other options (which definitely helped sell DH on the whole concept...and he thinks that diaper covers are just adorable, which also helps..).

(Although I do have to admit that in a fit of weakness b/c of a clearance sale I bought some Thirsties fitteds and two BG AIOs, but I'm hoping the Thirsties will be worth it for nighttime changes and I have a long while to figure out how to wash the BGs, since they most likely won't fit baby any time soon...)

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#198 of 257 Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn82 View Post
I think I may be SOL on the wool. We are just too tight financially for me to spend much more, dangit.
Recycled wool is a cheap way to go, and you do not need many of them. I generally used wool for nights because even the trim ones are bulkier than regular covers.
The WHAM I got my recycled covers from no longer has a shop, but I found these on Etsy and there are lots more at various prices:
Little Friends - $13.50
Chasin Daisies - $11

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#199 of 257 Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Laurski--I think we must've been perusing the same clearance because those Fab Fitteds were also calling my name!!

#200 of 257 Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM

My stash is set, except for a little more wool as we didn't start using wool until ds2 was a little bigger. That I will wait on because my favourite pieces are not so gender neutral.
Newborn
13 KL0s
6 Thirsties fitteds
2-4 Mutts (2 are not so gender neutral)
4 itty bitty graes prefolds
6 Fuzzi Bunz
1 pair of longies
1 Luxe wool cover
2 thirsties covers
6 Bummis SWW covers

Small

13 Fuzzi Bunz
12 yellow edged GMD prefolds
2 PB&E prefolds
4 WAHM obv prefolds
4 Bummis SWW covers
2 Luxe wool covers
1 WCW cover
some wool may start to fit here

Medium

10 Fuzzi Bunz
12 GMD prefolds
a few Bummis SWW covers
lots of boyish wool (and some gender neutral) in this size longies and shorties

One Size
I think about 20 Goodmama fitteds as they were the only thing that worked well fit wise and sensitive skin wise for ds

I'm going from mainly memory here so I think I've covered it. I'm excited to do the newborn fluff this time.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#201 of 257 Old 08-10-2010, 01:23 AM

Getting ready to wash my diapers as I received the other pre-folds I ordered today!

Anyone have any tips on washing the washing machine??? I'm going to get off of my all free and clear and switch to additive free detergent (currently using soap nuts, but those will be too expensive in the long run.. so I'm going to try Allan's Naturally and Charlies Soap..). There is soap goo in every orifice of my machine (cheep top loader) and I'd like to get it out before washing the diapers. I'm going to try vinegar, but wanted to know if anyone one else has experience with this.

I am very lucky to have a sister with a 18 month old who has been cloth diapered since 5 months. So I will have pleantly of meduims passed down to me! She already gave me 18 GMD reds and has 24 browns she's using now! She's the wonderful one who bought me 2 wool covers!

Also, etsy has some really really cute custom cheep wool covers. I haven't bought any, but probably will once the baby is here and I know his size.

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#202 of 257 Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Pink Bunch-- I'm so with you on the cloth diaper choices, haha. We went with mostly prefolds/covers (handful of fitteds) because it seemed the cheapest and easiest. Thankfully I LOVE them. And they also wash/dry faster and easier. And the bf poop stains come out so easy in the sun... some of my fitteds even never really came purely "white" again, but stick a damp prefold in the sun and it's like it's been bleached.

#203 of 257 Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post
Getting ready to wash my diapers as I received the other pre-folds I ordered today!

Anyone have any tips on washing the washing machine??? I'm going to get off of my all free and clear and switch to additive free detergent (currently using soap nuts, but those will be too expensive in the long run.. so I'm going to try Allan's Naturally and Charlies Soap..). There is soap goo in every orifice of my machine (cheep top loader) and I'd like to get it out before washing the diapers. I'm going to try vinegar, but wanted to know if anyone one else has experience with this.

I am very lucky to have a sister with a 18 month old who has been cloth diapered since 5 months. So I will have pleantly of meduims passed down to me! She already gave me 18 GMD reds and has 24 browns she's using now! She's the wonderful one who bought me 2 wool covers!

Also, etsy has some really really cute custom cheep wool covers. I haven't bought any, but probably will once the baby is here and I know his size.
Do a long hot wash at highest water level with a cup of bleach. Have boiling water waiting on the stove to add to it to raise the temp, or turn your water heater up to highest the night before (don't burn yourself!) Then do another of the same without bleach.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#204 of 257 Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
Recycled wool is a cheap way to go, and you do not need many of them. I generally used wool for nights because even the trim ones are bulkier than regular covers.
The WHAM I got my recycled covers from no longer has a shop, but I found these on Etsy and there are lots more at various prices:
Little Friends - $13.50
Chasin Daisies - $11
Wow awesome Thank you so much!

Quote:
I am SO glad that I am NOT CD is a cost-savings endeavor for me, so part of the reason it took me SO LONG to order is that I was looking for *the best deal*! I got all of that for less than $100 brand new, so I feel pretty good about it. If I were looking at the cuteness factor, I could be in some serious trouble!!!
Haha, yes be glad! I am a sucker but I'm also fairly frugal by nature so as much as I WANT the cute things, I'm probably never going to get them lol. Unless I find some kind of rockin deal on some used ones or something

#205 of 257 Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM

For those who are birthing in a hospital, are you taking cloth with you? Or will you use the sposies while there??

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#206 of 257 Old 08-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
For those who are birthing in a hospital, are you taking cloth with you? Or will you use the sposies while there??
I plan on using 'sposies while there and bringing as many home as I can--I'm worried that what I bought will be too large in the first couple weeks. If the cloth fits, though, I will start using them once the meconium is done.

#207 of 257 Old 08-10-2010, 12:53 PM

I packed enough for 2 days, that should cover us for a VBAC. If I end up with a RCS, we'll be using sposies since it's a touch easier. Although my hubby said he doesn't mind doing all cloth even if I have a section and can't really help much

Here's what I'm taking:

Hanging wetbag
1 Dozen Preemie Prefolds
6 Raven Tree Newborn Snappiable Fitteds
6 Nana's Bottoms Newborn AIOs
4 Newborn/XS Covers (XS Thirsties, Thirsties DUO Wrap, Imse Vimse Preemie, Bummis Super Brite)

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#208 of 257 Old 08-10-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
I'm doing sposies while there. Last time I did sposies for the first week or so while I recovered and things settled down. This time, since we'll be doing diaper laundry anyway (for a toddler) I may start the cloth as soon as we get home, or maybe after the mec is over. But while in the hospital I don't want to have to worry about doing the cloth.

#209 of 257 Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM

I was worried about using my nice cloth dipes for the meconium poos too. I found some old t-shirts that were shoved in the back of a drawer and I'm going to cut them up to make "disposable" liners for inside my dipes so I don't have to worry about it. How long does the mec last? I'm not sure how many of these liners to cut out.

#210 of 257 Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

With us, it lasted until the milk came in really well, like 3-4 days.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page