Mothering Forum banner

Cloth Diaper Thread

12K views 256 replies 59 participants last post by  tribord 
#1 ·
Cause it's never to early to start obsessing about your stash!

I've still got to dig out all of Em's old diapers.

Anyone else planning on putting this baby in cloth?

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
While I have not 100% got DF on board, it is my intention.

Have not done it before but do think it is totally worth it in every sense!
I convinced my man by doing math.

The money you save is ridiculous. Showing him the numbers may do the trick

I've had my daughter in cloth pretty much since her meconium passed, LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Did I mention that we LOVE it?

We just do mostly prefolds, some fitteds, Thirsties PLU covers. It's so easy, so nice to Emma's butt, so cheap, and so darn cute

#4 ·
My first son was in cloth after his very first diaper (he was born in a hospital and they put one on him without asking) and then except for about a dozen disposables in his first two weeks of life (travelling so we used the odd one here and there during laundry times) he was 100% cloth diapered from two weeks old until he potty learned at 18 months.

My second son went into a cloth diaper from birth (also born in a hospital) and he has been 100% cloth diapered since then.

I've never bought disposables (the few that I used in the start with Toad were from a package that was given to us by a neighbour when her daughter outgrew them halfway through the bag... the rest I donated as well) and I don't intend to do so in the future

We EC part time as well, and I'm hoping to do more of it with this new baby

#5 ·
I've never bought disposables, either... I got a pack in each size at my baby shower, and just used those on the rare occasions we needed to. I used to use them more when we were "travelling" (mostly day-trips to my mom's town). But after a while I started disliking them so much, I would just pack the wet-bag and take the cloth with us.

She was in sposies for the first week or so of life, but those were provided at the hospital.

I honestly don't think I'd be able to afford a zillion disposable diapers, even if I didn't already dislike them.

#6 ·
I'm totally excited to venture into cloth right away this time. We didn't use cloth until DS#2 started to react to sposies. We were actually planning on using them with him after the summer (when he would be 4 months) as most of it would be spent cottaging but he had other plans. We started with the typical Fuzzi Bunz at anbout 6 wks, but then moved towards some different types of fitteds and wool since he was reacting to PUL as well.
I'm planning on mainly fitteds this time too as we have a stash of Goodmamas, but I think I'll need smaller ones for the beginning weeks b/c the GMs will be really bulky.
I'm going to have to research my options.

#7 ·
DD is in Happy Heiney one size. I may get a couple of small covers and some prefolds until this little one can really fit in the one size (although, DD was over 10 lbs at birth, so this one could be big too.)

#8 ·
DS is still in his CDs (we have Mother East One Size). He's been wearing the same ones since he was about a month old (oh my word, they were huge on him at the time!
)

If $$ permits (meaning, if i can refrain from buying any more wraps
) I wouldn't mind splurging on some NB diapers for the beginning... while I've been really happy with our OS dipes, DS really couldn't wear any of those teeny tiny NB outfits because his butt was just so huge! so it would be nice to have something a little more fitted for when the new one is wee

#9 ·
Totally CDing here! I started off buying cloth for DD, but now have moved to making my own fitteds and wool and prefolds and pul covers. I love it. Like LOVE it - though right now we are having stink issues because for some reason our iron and sulpher content from our well water just went through the roof - not sure why. Anyway, I have some KL0s for the nb stage and will be making and knitting the next few months!

#10 ·
We are absolutely planning to cloth diaper - I have been researching like crazy on what to buy and how many. There are just so many freaking choices!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by louis View Post
We are absolutely planning to cloth diaper - I have been researching like crazy on what to buy and how many. There are just so many freaking choices!
Yeah... it can be overwhelming. The CD forum here on MDC kicks ass, though.

#13 ·
My first two were in cloth from the beginning. DS is still in cloth now. I know I probably have plenty in the stash for this baby, but I still want more! We have some things that have been in pretty much constant use for over 5 years, so I'm sure we'll need to replace some that are getting pretty worn. We have used mostly pre-folds and covers in the newborn stage, and would love to do more fitteds this time around.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sere234 View Post
WOOHOO!! I'll be CDing starting in Sep. and looking forward to it! Already picking out what brands I want to use and just waiting to order them!
Hehe, with my first, I ordered them early so that I could prep them and then stack, fold, and obsess over them for months.

#20 ·
I plan to do cloth from the beginning but will probably want to get some NB diapers.

I didn't start DD in cloth until 1 month old and then it was a slow transition into doing it full-time. We didn't exclusively cloth-diaper until she was about 6 months old. We use mostly Bum Genius one-size pockets and FuzziBunz pockets, so I think they'll be too big at first for a new baby.

I recently invested in an Aristocrats wool cover for DD and I love it! I wouldn't mind some small wool covers for the new baby.

#21 ·
Dug out my old newborn prefolds... only 18?

I'd really like another dozen or so...

Plus I'm a fanatic about Thirsties fitted, so I'm going to think about building up more of those... Em still fits in her size S, I may get a couple XS for the new baby, then some M for Em to grow into...

#22 ·
Okay, so I started really obsessing last night and made my Have and Want lists...

Here's my current stash:

18 newborn (clearance cheap) prefolds
12 yellow (small) GMD prefolds
3 small Thirsties fitted
3 small Bumgenius bamboo fitted
3 med Bumgenius bamboo fitted
1 small kissaluv snap-closure fitted (which I don't like)

6 XS Thirsties covers
3 S Thirsties covers
1 S Bummis Super Brite
2 S Bummis WhisperWrap
2 M Bummis WhisperWrap

And here's my Want list, both because Em will be outgrowing these fairly soon, and to supplement to make things easier with the new baby, and because I just want
:

12 newborn GMD prefolds (having only 18 prefolds with Em was nowhere near enough)
12 red (medium) GMD prefolds
3 XS Thirsties fitted
3 S Thirsties fitted
6 M Thirsties fitted
4 M Thirsties covers

The new prefolds, and the medium covers, I definitely need. The new fitted diapers... well, I don't NEED them... but I really love my Thirsties fitted diapers, especially for night-time or for car trips or being out and about running errands.

So I took the list to talk to my husband, and I'm making him examine every item with me and starting to talk about the prices, and he said "Kel, don't worry about how much it costs, we're already saving so much money by doing cloth diapers anyway. Just get whatever you think you'll need."

SCORE!

#23 ·
So, I need to get some covers and want to know everyone's recommendations. I have a couple dozen prefolds, so I was thinking 4-5 covers. Whatcha think? I have 18 one size that I am sure the baby will fit into once he or she is about 3 months old, so it will just be for a few months.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
So, I need to get some covers and want to know everyone's recommendations. I have a couple dozen prefolds, so I was thinking 4-5 covers. Whatcha think? I have 18 one size that I am sure the baby will fit into once he or she is about 3 months old, so it will just be for a few months.
If you're thinking PUL, I love, love, love Thirsties. Cause they have the leg-gussets. I hate Bummis Super Whisper Wrap, cause they do NOT have the leg-gussets. Especially at that newborn stage when the baby is having constant breastmilk blowouts, my BSWWs always leaked, my Thirsties never leaked. Sometimes the poop would escape the prefold and get onto the cover, but never made it past the leg-gusset.

I had 6 XS Thirsties covers that Em used until she was 3-4 months old. Could probably do with 5 if you had to. I wouldn't go less than 5, just because of how the poop does tend to blow out of the prefolds, so you end up washing a lot of covers there in the beginning.

#25 ·
We plan on CDing from the beginning. I started CDing with my son when he was 1 1/2, and wished i had started sooner (later is better than never!)

I do have a question though.
FOr a NB stash, how many will I need?? I am thinking I will get the one sixe fits all. Seems to make financial sense to get one size that fits all the stages.

So about how many will i need??

#26 ·
I didn't start CDing with DS until about 6 months. I used prefolds and covers then mostly because they were so cheap, but DH and our childcare never got on board.

For Christmas, I bought a stash of AIO BG and they are so much like disposables, no stuffing, etc. that DH and childcare are finally on board. This is the first time ever that we don't have any disposables in the house!

So my question is, is anyone out there using AIO? If so, what kind do you like for a newborn? I love the ones I have, but my DS is 15 months now and in a size L. Even the prefolds I have are too big, so I need to get something new, and I figure if DH will use the AIO, then I'm sticking with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.