So Happy We'll Be Huge in August - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeup, Mae. It's HOT here. Don't stock up on cute little long-sleeved things for the baby in September. We're still playing in the ocean in swimsuits then. My babies are wearing onesies, or nothing at all most days in September. The HUMIDITY. Ugh. Oh, and the MOSQUITOES. We have thes mosquitoes that are about the size of a nickel up to about a quarter, and are zebra striped...and they leave welts. So, it's too hot to play outside, from sunup to sundown, and then, in the evening, when it's still hot, but you just want OUT for a few minutes, you get attacked by these huge mosquitoes, and all their normal size tiny friends. My neice actually told a complete stranger, "The mosquitoes are trying to eat (my cousin) all up!" My poor dd was covered in bites. It happens SO fast.

But, I will say, that this week has been in the 60s and even the 70s one day. It's lovely. Right now it's 40s and raining. But...the majority of the year here is quite pleasant. I LOVE not having to deal with coats with the little ones. Usually, the days that are cold enough for a coat are far enough apart that we just stay home and inside until it gets warm again.

By the end of March, it's getting to the upper 70s, or 80s most days and is just gorgeous. I'm going to miss it here.

I'm going to VA, and all I can remember about that is the humidity. Seems like September is coldish, at least by the end, but I really don't remember. It will be nice to have a "real winter" for once.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 AM

And the days cold enough for a coat down there are still shorts weather up here lol

I was down there in November to welcome DF home from Iraq... it was snowing that morning when we left Ohio and I stood outside at 3am in a sleeveless dress waiting for him, totally comfortable! LOL The local ladies were all bundled up and I was just like.... what? I haven't felt THIS weather in months! LOL

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#63 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 12:54 AM

Yeah, so you'll be EXTRA hot in September. nudge, nudge, tease, lol.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#64 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 12:59 AM

I dunno... we get pretty hot up here in the summer and I can generally handle it... with heat index we can hit nearly 118 degrees sometimes (the hottest pre-heat index i remember was 112)

apparently NCs record high is only 110... so I think i can handle it lol... I guess im blessed to have grown up here, Im used to extreme weather. Extreme heat, extreme cold (it was -40 this time last year... and thats the same C and F!)

extreme storms (tornadoes are fun!)

and hurricanes arent that bad either... ive been in one in south carolina.

i think I can handle it!

my only problems gonna be those darn bugs...

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#65 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 01:09 AM

My favorite part about a summer baby:

Summer clothes are cheaper! I can get by on a cotton top, capri pants, or dresses!

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.
#66 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 AM

yeah...cockroaches about 2" long. Ugh. But, you get used to them. Really...I was just being a snot.

A funny hurricane story. I grew up in the midwest, too, and was fairly used to the super cold, but still hot summers, too. When we first moved here, it was supposed to snow, and be 20 degrees. Not stick, mind you, just flurry a bit. They actually CLOSED THE BASE! The radio folk were all abuzz with how cold it was going to be. I burst out laughing. But, I digress...the hurricane. Well, one night we were headed out to town. We don't watch TV, and don't usually listen to regular radio, so when dh got a call from the duty as we went through the gate letting him know that all Marines were to stay home, etc, etc, because of the bad storm, he just rolled his eyes and said, "okay, thanks for letting me know." After he hung up he said, "We're already out, we're going to do what need to do." So, we went out. Just after that it started raining SO hard, dd was singing "carwash, carwash" in the backseat. We get to Walmart, and at the fabric counter the lady says, "How's the roads?" I was dumbfounded. I had no idea what to say. Uhm, lady, it's not snowing. No ice. (I stammered, "uh...okay. uhm...why?" My midwest brain...this rain was a fairly normal summer storm to me.) She gave me a "lemme explain, stupid" look, and said, "Cuz the hurricane." I said, "oh..." We went home and picked up our toys in the yard, and brought in the plants. And then slept through the hurricane. I've been though MUCH MUCH worse storms, multiple times over in my childhood.

#67 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
yeah...cockroaches about 2" long. Ugh. But, you get used to them. Really...I was just being a snot.

A funny hurricane story. I grew up in the midwest, too, and was fairly used to the super cold, but still hot summers, too. When we first moved here, it was supposed to snow, and be 20 degrees. Not stick, mind you, just flurry a bit. They actually CLOSED THE BASE! The radio folk were all abuzz with how cold it was going to be. I burst out laughing. But, I digress...the hurricane. Well, one night we were headed out to town. We don't watch TV, and don't usually listen to regular radio, so when dh got a call from the duty as we went through the gate letting him know that all Marines were to stay home, etc, etc, because of the bad storm, he just rolled his eyes and said, "okay, thanks for letting me know." After he hung up he said, "We're already out, we're going to do what need to do." So, we went out. Just after that it started raining SO hard, dd was singing "carwash, carwash" in the backseat. We get to Walmart, and at the fabric counter the lady says, "How's the roads?" I was dumbfounded. I had no idea what to say. Uhm, lady, it's not snowing. No ice. (I stammered, "uh...okay. uhm...why?" My midwest brain...this rain was a fairly normal summer storm to me.) She gave me a "lemme explain, stupid" look, and said, "Cuz the hurricane." I said, "oh..." We went home and picked up our toys in the yard, and brought in the plants. And then slept through the hurricane. I've been though MUCH MUCH worse storms, multiple times over in my childhood.
I dont see HOW i can get used to those darn things... even in South Carolina where they INSIST on calling them palmetto bugs and they are the state-freaking-insect they are STILL friggin huge cockroaches that FLY. EW EW EW EW EW EW EW.

But yeah, the hurricane I was through was laughable. Ive been 15 miles south of a tornado that did more damage where I was than the hurricane did when we were located so the eye went over us!

It was like a nice rainy summer afternoon up here in Illinois!

#68 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 AM

Well, my method of dealing with the cockroaches is to look the other way. When I look back...tada! they are gone.

A state insect? That's just weird.

#69 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 01:23 AM

BTW, dh insists the cockroaches fly, but I've never seen one. One day, though, when he was deployed, I put on a shirt from my closet. My tidy, and no food in it closet, by the way, and A COCKROACH RAN OUT OF MY SHIRT. It took a little bit to regain my composure. Those things don't care if you are a good housekeeper or not. Come to think of it, rain makes them much worse. I guess we'll probably be seeing some tomorrow.

#70 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 01:35 AM

So, back on topic. I'm really looking forward to my favorite maternity skirt. I love it so much, sometimes I wear it when I'm not pg! And flip flops. Yeah, that's huge!

#71 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
BTW, dh insists the cockroaches fly, but I've never seen one. One day, though, when he was deployed, I put on a shirt from my closet. My tidy, and no food in it closet, by the way, and A COCKROACH RAN OUT OF MY SHIRT. It took a little bit to regain my composure. Those things don't care if you are a good housekeeper or not. Come to think of it, rain makes them much worse. I guess we'll probably be seeing some tomorrow.
I had one in my shoe in my barracks... (I used to be army, hence why I was in SC... just so you arent confused by these statements lol)

My friggin PT shoe

as Im getting ready for morning formation at 5 friggin am.... it poked its head out at me... I screamed and threw my shoe across the barracks.... long-ways.... and HIT the other wall. Adrenaline from the creepy bug, i could have been a major league pitcher.

And i saw one fly onto the back of a girl diagonal from me in formation once... so i know they fly... but we were in formation at basic, we couldnt move... she didnt know and those of us behind her that saw it had our skin crawling.

Quote:
So, back on topic. I'm really looking forward to my favorite maternity skirt. I love it so much, sometimes I wear it when I'm not pg! And flip flops. Yeah, that's huge!
I cant wait to wear a ton of cotton flowing sun dresses, my favorite clothes when i was pregnant with DD in June!

#72 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

As far as hurricanes, yeah a lot of times people will get all worked up, only to have the storm fizzle out, especially this far north (Virginia)... of course it's a lot more serious in Florida or the gulf coast.

I take precautions anyway, though, because every once in a while it WILL be a bad one... when Isabel came through here a few years back, it destroyed half the city. Downtown looked like it had been bombed, with trees ripped out that were growing through the sidewalk, so that there were chunks of sidewalk everywhere. There wasn't any power in most places for 1-2 weeks. At least with a tornado, it's a small path of destruction, haha. We've had some wild weather here (including tornados from time to time, flooding, etc.), but I've never seen anything like that storm. There weren't many deaths in Richmond, thankfully, maybe a dozen.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#73 of 84 Old 01-22-2010, 04:01 PM

I was pg w/dd, due in late Aug. I was in my 39th week when the huge blackout that took out half the country took out our AC. That was the MOST miserable 24 hours of my life! We were in a 2nd story apartment with no cross breeze and I couldn't take the next day off work. Ds slept miserably and I woke every few minutes to mist myself with a spray bottle. VERY bad.

Only thing I can really think (other than a comment earlier about 2nd trimester in Spring which was awesome. thank you!) is that m/s in hot weather is hard. But right now it's a little easier. Just stick your head out the window and breathe in some cool air and it's feels a little better.

Must say my favorite was my last pgcy, born in early Dec. I labored at home in a hot birth pool. When transition hit me hard and I was SO hot all of a sudden, but ABSOLUTELY DID NOT want the water any cooler, we just opened the front door. Everyone else was cold, but I felt SO much better! Nice cozy time to cuddle up w/my baby, too.

On the other hand, had my 1st dc in mid-Oct, during the rain and gloom, and it was the most depressing time of my life (I have undiagnosed SAD anyway, then add ppd...). So, I'm going to keep checking this thread for positives!

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#74 of 84 Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 PM

The bikini thread got me thinking....

One of my very favorite places during the summer is the beach. As I've been getting bigger and less able to sleep in my favorite position, it's occurred to me that this summer I'll be able to nap, IN THE SUN, on my TUMMY!!!

Dig a hole at the beach, and there you go!

I am so excited to do this. I mean, I guess with my Feb. babies I could have done this, too, but somehow doing it in the snow just doesn't sound as fun.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#75 of 84 Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Im down in good ole Texas (that has seen at least 3 seasons in the past week weather wise). Im thinking Im going to be wearing a lot of tube tops and short shorts while lounging in front of a large cyclone fan! We also plan to spend a lot of time at the local pool, and I just found the cutest wide brimmed hat for the purpose! I honestly shudder to think what our elec bill will look like!
#76 of 84 Old 03-25-2010, 01:11 PM

I was just thinking about this today. I had DD July 13th @ 41 wks and the heat didn't bother me. What bothered me more was feeling like I completely missed the entire summer! It was too hard to get out there and have fun when I was doing the whole newborn thing. I look forward to the summer all year, it's my favorite season by far. So, I'm okay with it. We have central air.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#77 of 84 Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 PM

Yeah, having DD at the very tail end of June did NOT make it easier...

Didnt want to take her out cuz it was too hot out, stayed in the livingroom cuz we only had a window AC and we blocked off the rest of the house... and nursing + heat = miserable... feeling liquid flow between you and baby and not knowing if its sweat or milk....

#78 of 84 Old 03-25-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was thinking of that today... I'll be able to go out and do things not only this summer, but next summer they will be like 7-9 months, we'll be swimming and going to the beach and having fun.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#79 of 84 Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 PM

Call me crazy, but I'm hoping for a hot summer. Last summer was not hot enough, and I feel like I've been cold this whole pregnancy . I just want to plan on wearing my bathing suit almost every day at the beach. Watch out, here I come Lake Michigan!

wife to DH 6/25/05, mama to DS 5/26/08 & DS2 9/1/10
#80 of 84 Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 AM

TBH I did absolutely abhor one thing during the summer: hot cars. The car we had when I was preggers w/ DD didn't do AC and our new car is a pansy. It gets cold immediately but isn't powerful enough to cool down the car...case in point...70 degree day last week and I had to roll down the windows and blast the AC lol.

But other than that I think pregnancy during summer is lovely. You are big and round and pretty. And you get lots of natural vit D for the babe.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#81 of 84 Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierae View Post
Call me crazy, but I'm hoping for a hot summer. Last summer was not hot enough, and I feel like I've been cold this whole pregnancy . I just want to plan on wearing my bathing suit almost every day at the beach. Watch out, here I come Lake Michigan!
I don't have to wish for it...

After mid-June, we normally don't get highs below the 90's. And in late July and early August, we'll usually get a week or so where the high doesn't get below 100.

I'm going to be loving the pool.

#82 of 84 Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
I don't have to wish for it...

After mid-June, we normally don't get highs below the 90's. And in late July and early August, we'll usually get a week or so where the high doesn't get below 100.

I'm going to be loving the pool.
Oh man, that sucks! I would be in the pool all day too . Where I am, I'm lucky if it gets up past 85 in late July! Although, in a normal summer we do get a couple of days in the 90's. But that's what we call a heat wave and everyone is miserable because most people don't have air conditioning. I remember working at a hotel when this happened one year, and a few of the customers were a little mad that there was no air.

#83 of 84 Old 03-28-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah... not having a/c here would be a deathwish, haha.

Really most of VA isn't that bad, but Richmond has some kind of mix of conditions that make us a really humid miserable spot.

But I love humid miserable weather, so I'm okay with it It's better than cold.

#84 of 84 Old 03-29-2010, 02:52 PM

I went to school in Roanoke (Hollins University), I wasn't there in the summer, but I remember coming back in late August, to start school, and thought it was horrible until mid to late September . Ugh, I was so glad I went home for the summers.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page