Any UP/Self-care Mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there considering unassisted provider/self-care? What will you be doing/not doing?

I really enjoyed UP the first time around. But this time around I also have the option for pre-natal care with a wonderful UG MW. I just can't decide. Same w/ an UC or a MW HB. I'm not even sure when/if to tell her I'm expecting b/c then I don't know if I want her services or not!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-13-2010, 11:41 PM

I want to UP but have a midwife there mainly for JIC and cleanup afterwards... With DD, we were UCing with shadow care and went in when I hit transition at hour 45 and DH and my mom were freaking out - I really regret going in honestly as I know I could have done it if I had a chance to stop worrying about DH and my mom and focus on birthing.

Anyway - I am trying to get in touch with a midwife that is ok with assisting UC couples, but I'd like to UP.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#3 of 14 Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
I want to UP but have a midwife there mainly for JIC and cleanup afterwards... With DD, we were UCing with shadow care and went in when I hit transition at hour 45 and DH and my mom were freaking out - I really regret going in honestly as I know I could have done it if I had a chance to stop worrying about DH and my mom and focus on birthing.

Anyway - I am trying to get in touch with a midwife that is ok with assisting UC couples, but I'd like to UP.
Cool! I had a long labour too! The MW I found is really cool about UC. She stopped by on day two to help reposition DD (she had an asynclitic head positioning, among many other things). She was cool beans and very nice...part of the reason I am so torn....I'd love to have her there just b/c she's so nice. But I also am in love with the idea of an UC. *sigh*

Are you in the midwest?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#4 of 14 Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 PM

Huh - DD was asynclitic too! When I finally listened to myself and did the head down butt up position with her as we were deciding to go to the hospital, I think that is when she repositioned herself. My water broke as we got out of the car at the hospital.

I'm actually in Oregon - the mw I am trying to get ahold of is actually on MDC and she's supposed to be awesome. I, too , am in love with the idea of a UC - in my perfect scenario I have the baby in the middle of the night while everyone is sleeping.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#5 of 14 Old 01-13-2010, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Huh - DD was asynclitic too! When I finally listened to myself and did the head down butt up position with her as we were deciding to go to the hospital, I think that is when she repositioned herself. My water broke as we got out of the car at the hospital.

I'm actually in Oregon - the mw I am trying to get ahold of is actually on MDC and she's supposed to be awesome. I, too , am in love with the idea of a UC - in my perfect scenario I have the baby in the middle of the night while everyone is sleeping.
I called it the frog position, although I had no idea why I wanted to do it at the time. She still came out all crazy though.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#6 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 12:16 AM

Wasn't she really big and came out with her hand on her head? Was that you? I know I read your birth story at some point, I just don't know if I'm mixing you up with someone else. If so, kudos to you - seriously.

#7 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 AM
L J

DP and I haven't decided anything definant yet, but I UP/UC'd last time around and figure I'll wind up doing the same this time.

I didn't really do anything as far as self care goes, though. Took good care of myself. That's all.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#8 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 AM

I'm considering it... Right now I have seen my midwife once for a blood draw (I have a long history of repeated miscarriages) and I have an appointment scheduled with her in February. She was my midwife last time I gave birth and I'm pretty sure she's going to tell me she'll only support me in a hospital birthing setting and I won't give birth in my local hospital if I can help it at all. It was a nightmare to say the least last time. The baby was perfect and even the birth had it's high points but the treatment we received was terrible.

I am leaning towards a UC anyway, but my mw lives near to me and I don't want her calling an ambulance on me if she finds out I'm in labour and realizes I am not going to the hospital. If she says 100% no she won't support my having a homebirth I have to weigh my options, and one of them is UP. It's not my first choice for myself but neither was UC when I first heard about it and yet I'm totally comfortable with that as a valid option for me now so we'll see...

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#9 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wasn't she really big and came out with her hand on her head? Was that you? I know I read your birth story at some point, I just don't know if I'm mixing you up with someone else. If so, kudos to you - seriously.
Yeah she was really malpositioned, or was it that she did what she had to do? I'll never know I guess lol. Her face came out towards my inner thigh and forehead first/looking upward.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#10 of 14 Old 01-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Hello,
I have done UC with 3 of my 6 and we are planning on it this time if all goes well. Helen
#11 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 12:03 AM

I'm not quite comfortable with a uc, but I'll be doing UP until about 30 weeks when I move. It's not so much I think I can't do it or whatever; I know I can. And I almost want to be totally alone anyway. I find I want to be in the closet by myself when I'm in labor. (We do have a large-ish walk-in). But, I like to have my babies standing up, and I like to have the extra person around to help catch and clean-up, and help out a bit.

Anyway, I found a midwife who is okay with not seeing me until 30 weeks, and seems really laid back, which I want. Dh wants me to keep looking though to see if I can find a midwife who can bill our insurance.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#12 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Are you in the Salem area? If so, you are most likely talking about Pamela Hines-Powell. Her ex-apprentice Lennon Clark has her own practice now and is 100% supportive of UC (being a UC mama herself) as well. Both ladies are hands-down awesome!

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#13 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 03:06 AM

Yep, I was talking about Pamela! Lennon is taking the month of August off and won't be taking births more than 20 min away anyway since she has a young baby herself, so I was trying to get a hold of Pam. I'm actually in Junction City though, so it's a bit of a drive.

#14 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Hi
I just found out yesterday that we are expecting our 3rd child (4th pregnancy). I am planning and UP and UC. Hubby is not completely on board yet but I will let God get him there.

I am excited! My plans thus far are minimal... just weight check, blood pressure and baby heart beat every few weeks. I think I will record all that on a piece of paper in the event something odd happens and I need to show "records".

I do not know anyone in my area that has had and UC and definately no UP acquaintances. Rare to even hear of MW HB in this area.

Due approximately 9-24-10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page