Nursing during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else gotten lectured to by their provider about nursing during pregnancy? I was told today about how dangerous it is to nurse during pregnancy because it can cause preterm labor. I know that, to an extent, this is true, but is it really such a worry? Does anyone have any good info on this?

I'm not loving my provider, met her for the first time today. Today, I was quoted a 20-25% mortality rate for pregnant women who get swine flu. Several weeks ago, they said 30%. I think maybe they're just spewing numbers at me. If I didn't think we were moving in the next several months, I would look hard for a different provider. This is the first time I've seen an OB, and BOY OH BOY, is it ever a different sort of treat.

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#2 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 06:42 PM

it is absolutely not dangerous for a mom experiencing a normal, low-risk pregnancy to nurse throughout the pregnancy. The contractions that might be caused by the nipple stimulation that is associated with nursing are of the same strength as contractions caused by an orgasm, so unless you are on pelvic rest, you are good to go to nurse!

Here is a good article about this: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html

Also, it sounds like maybe a new provider might be in order!!

DD Emma, 3 yrs and #2 Sept 10
#3 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb928 View Post
it is absolutely not dangerous for a mom experiencing a normal, low-risk pregnancy to nurse throughout the pregnancy. The contractions that might be caused by the nipple stimulation that is associated with nursing are of the same strength as contractions caused by an orgasm, so unless you are on pelvic rest, you are good to go to nurse!

Here is a good article about this: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html

Also, it sounds like maybe a new provider might be in order!!
I sooooo wish that there were a midwife I could go to right now. I don't know of any CNMs in this area, though. Basically, I have to go to someone covered by my insurance right now. When we move, I will gladly pay out of pocket for a homebirth, but it doesn't make sense for me to pay a CPM out of pocket when most likely I am not going to deliver with her anyway. But, man, this OB is just not my style at all.

Thanks for the link!

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#4 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 06:51 PM

those swine flu numbers are insane :P

and just like the PP said, normal, low risk pregnancy, no history of pre-term labor nursing is just fine - my OB told me to wean my DD when i was pg with DS, her reasoning? there might be a risk, and it was just time becasue DD was old enough (17 mo) whatever. i did not wean, we had no issues.. my DS is still nursing now.

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#5 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I spoke with 3 midwives and each of them said how it is fine to nurse during pregnancy (one even encouraged it since DD is so young). It is crazy how different HCP claim different things.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#6 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsalem View Post
Has anyone else gotten lectured to by their provider about nursing during pregnancy? I was told today about how dangerous it is to nurse during pregnancy because it can cause preterm labor. I know that, to an extent, this is true, but is it really such a worry? Does anyone have any good info on this?

I'm not loving my provider, met her for the first time today. Today, I was quoted a 20-25% mortality rate for pregnant women who get swine flu. Several weeks ago, they said 30%. I think maybe they're just spewing numbers at me. If I didn't think we were moving in the next several months, I would look hard for a different provider. This is the first time I've seen an OB, and BOY OH BOY, is it ever a different sort of treat.
I'm not nursing through my current pregnancy, but I have nursed through previous pregnancies. My provider with #2 said that she just wanted me to wean by the 3rd trimester. But...I didn't. Yes, it can cause pre- term labor in rare cases. It happens, but not very often. And when it does happen, mommas stop nursing, and contractions stop and all is well. I nursed my son into the 8th month of my dd's pregnancy. I never had contractions while nursing. Heck...I wish I had. Maybe I would have went into labor with her....lol.

You should go talk to the tandeming moms in the clw forums, they have a lot of good resources to help you stand up to your OB on nursing your dc.

Good luck!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#7 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 07:25 PM

I have seen multiple midwives and OB's during pregnancy and have not had this reaction. The one question that I found amusing though was from a well established OB (at least 15 years in her field and had never met a mother who nursed through pg), "Is that even possible? I didn't know it was possible." She was flabbergasted.

Regardless, unless you are experiencing contractions that are causing you problems or have a history of premature cervical dilation I would simply decline to discuss the matter.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#8 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
Regardless, unless you are experiencing contractions that are causing you problems or have a history of premature cervical dilation I would simply decline to discuss the matter.
What if you have had pre term labor?

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#9 of 14 Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
What if you have had pre term labor?
I had pre-term labor with my first pg, at 31 weeks. No one ever warned me about nursing through my second pg and I nursed right through. In fact, I was a few days post due and I was nursing like crazy to try to stimulate labor, but it didn't work
That being said, while I was in labor, ouch, nursing really helped kick it up!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#10 of 14 Old 02-18-2010, 04:58 AM

Whatever! I nursed through my last 3 pregnancies including tandem nursing during the last one and it didn't cause a hint of preterm labor with any of them.Check out the LLL links in the BFing forum I'm sure there is something about nursing through a pregnancy.If you actually are at risk for pre term laobr anyway then yes that would be something to look into but it is not a hard and fast rule.My last pregnancy was the only MW one, the others were military OBs who were puzzled by me but didn't say a thing about nursing.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#11 of 14 Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 AM

Well, I will add my 2 cents here...When I got pregnant with my DS, I was still nursing my DD and had no intention to stop. Even the
midwives I was seeing "suggested" I stop, which I found disconcerting. I just went through the pregnancy without mentioning it again.

The pregnancy went well - and then around 7 months or so I went into Preterm labor. ( note, I had my DD early as well....so this was a real worry for me). We tried bedrest and meds to stop the contractions...and when I was still getting them and starting to dilate, I decided I needed to wean her (she was only nursing to sleep and naps and that time). So, I did. It went smooth. The meds, bedrest and no nursing....went full term - all the way to due date. Who knows if the weaning helped?

I think WE know our bodies the best. If you feel good nursing, keep going Mama. but if something doesn't feel right at some point...then you can stop. Most likely, you will be fine if you are low risk. I was already at a higher risk for preterm labor...otherwise I imagine I would have been tandem nursing after birth !
Good luck
#12 of 14 Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM

My OB- also in a real medical practice- said that my nursing was no problem now, but that around 20+ weeks it could start causing contractions, so I should plan ahead that I might need to wean, if that happened. We however, weaned this past weekend. DS was 3 in January, and I was done-done-done nursing. I nursed DD to 20 weeks with DS and it DID cause an increase in Braxton Hicks, we weaned anyway, because she was 2 1/2 and I wasn't interested in tandeming, but I could see how moving forward, for ME, it might have caused real contractions.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#13 of 14 Old 02-18-2010, 07:31 PM

If you are experiencing contractions that are quite uncomfortable during or after nursing, or have had a history or premature labor or premature cervical dilation, it would be worthwhile to discuss your plans for continued nursing and their plans for additional monitoring. Nursing may be contraindicated in those scenarios.

Please be aware that I am an advocate of extended, tandem, and nursing through pregnancy, but each mother needs to research for herself and be aware of the precautions she should take if she is not low risk.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#14 of 14 Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstene View Post
Well, I will add my 2 cents here...When I got pregnant with my DS, I was still nursing my DD and had no intention to stop. Even the
midwives I was seeing "suggested" I stop, which I found disconcerting. I just went through the pregnancy without mentioning it again.

The pregnancy went well - and then around 7 months or so I went into Preterm labor. ( note, I had my DD early as well....so this was a real worry for me). We tried bedrest and meds to stop the contractions...and when I was still getting them and starting to dilate, I decided I needed to wean her (she was only nursing to sleep and naps and that time). So, I did. It went smooth. The meds, bedrest and no nursing....went full term - all the way to due date. Who knows if the weaning helped?

I think WE know our bodies the best. If you feel good nursing, keep going Mama. but if something doesn't feel right at some point...then you can stop. Most likely, you will be fine if you are low risk. I was already at a higher risk for preterm labor...otherwise I imagine I would have been tandem nursing after birth !
Good luck
Thanks for this post...

I had preterm labor with Em, although not VERY preterm (36 weeks). She didn't have any health problems or NICU time, but I was worried. I'd like this one to go at least to term. But I'm not sure whether nursing would really affect it that much.

I have a regular OB, and he did ask if I was still nursing Em, but when I said yes he didn't say I should stop or anything-- he did say to be prepared for the possibility that my milk may dry up.

He did mention that he was going to talk to a high-risk doc if it would be worth it for me to go on some type of progesterone later on down the road to see if that would help prevent going early again, but that we'd talk about that at the next appointment. So I don't know if down the line he'd recommend stopping nursing or not. And I don't know if I'd take that recommendation if he gave it to me. I'm going to have to do some more thinking on it.

I'm preparing myself kind of that I may end up weaning during pregnancy. I don't know if I'm up to tandem nursing or not. Also she may wean herself if the milk is all gone. I guess I'm just going to wait and see how things go.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page