The One Weekly Chat - Feb 21st - Feb 27th (come on in! all are welcome!) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The One Thread is a way for us all to have a place to post whatever does not fit elsewhere that we do not want to make a new thread for. It comes from the TTC One Thread which was created so women could talk together no matter what point in the cycle they were in.
This Weeks Threadmistress:
MaerynPearl

Next Weeks Threadmistress:
Please let me know if you are interested Jan 17th-23rd

ABOUT US:
Please, to be added to our first post... put your request in BOLD and include name, number and genders of previous children and/or losses, and what gender you think this one is! We already have the roster thread to keep track of due dates, but I think the what I think/feel/hope vs. what it turns out to be may be neat! Username in Pink thinks/feels/hopes it is a girl, blue means boy and green is neutral.

Amanda_Reyasmom: DD
foodmachine: DD
HCK73: DS, DD
Jrene: first pregnancy
Just1More: DD, DS, DD
kalamos23: DD, 1 angel baby
Kelly1101: DD
LJ: DS
louis: first pregnancy
LovnMyBoys: DS, DS, 3 angel babies
MaerynPearl: DS, DD, 1 angel baby
mommy2chloerae: DD, DS
Orca: DS, DD
PinkBunch: DD, DD
prettyuglybefore: DD
reneeisorym: first pregnancy

CraftyMcGluestick: first pregnancy
dandns85: first pregnancy
darkblue0729: DD, DD, 1 angel baby
gradstudentmommy: DD, 1 angel baby
happyblessedmama: DS, DS, DD, DD, DS
kl5: First pregnancy
my-j-angel: DS, DS, angel DS, 1 angel baby
Sarahfina: DD
slf: DS
Teamsalem: DS, DD
tolovemercy: DS, DS
tribord: DD, 1 angel baby

54mama: DD, DD, 1 angel baby
Ambivalent Dreams: DD
Bethanta: 1 angel baby
BlessedMama te: DS, DS
bohemama: DD, DD
Caoimhe: DS, DSD, DSD, 1 angel baby
Chloe'smama: DD, 1 angel baby
cinderella08: DD
expectingTiger: first pregnancy
Galatea: DS, DS, DD
gottecat: DS, 3 angel babies
ilovemyavery: DD, DS, 3 angel babies
Jules09: angel DS, 1 angel baby
liberal_chick: DS, DS
Lissybug: DS, DS
mantischick: first pregnancy
mrsjtc: DD, DD, DD
MsDolphin: first pregnancy
oregonduck: 1 angel baby
triscuitsmom: DS, DS, 8 angel babies
wryknowlicious: DD, DD, DD

Great Links!
Add yourself to the Roster Thread! That way we can keep track of who is due at the same time!
Share your belly pics. Dont be self conscious! Many FLUFFY mamas are posting too!
Worries thread. For when you have worries but want to share them in an environment with other worriers!
Pregnancy after loss. Sometimes those who haven't gone through it do not understand as well, you will find people who have there
Spotlight Thread Sign Up Sign up to share a bit about yourself with the rest of us!
Visible Embryo See pictures of what your baby looks like right now!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#2 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

yay meeeee

my house currently has THREE eyes with bacterial conjuctivitis. Very fast case... started with DS coming home from Mammaws (my moms) last night with one itchy eye... progressed to red and boogery by the end of the night and despite a lot of DONT TOUCH YOUR EYE YOU ARE GOING TO SPREAD IT! he has it in both eyes and his sister has it in one.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 03:30 PM

oooo, MP, that's exciting. We have 2 snot-nosed kids here. And dh is having PRK (lasik) done tomorrow, so while he will be here on con leave, I'm on my own. He won't be able to see and will be in a good deal of pain. Then the next week he's in GA. But, I have a friend coming, so that should be fun.

From the other thread...

ROM-I haven't really thought about my goals for the second tri. I guess a pound a week? Really, I guess I'm hoping to eat reasonably and have nothing bad happen to me. If I could get out of this and only gain 30 pounds total I'd be amazed. I bet I'd feel really good afterwards! I usually gain 60, and it always comes off, but...I really don't want to gain that much again.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#4 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ewww fun...

my step dad had eye surgery around when DS was born... we joked that by the time DS was old enough to focus on his face, he would be able to focus on DSs

#5 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 04:07 PM

MP and Just1More....goopy eyes and noses are never fun.

For weight gain I've been around 35lbs with both my previous pregnancies. It (and more) came off fairly easily both times so I'm not really concerned about that part. I'd like to aim for 30lbs this time but I'm already up 5 so who knows.
I'm hoping today will be a laid back day here. I was excited about this weekend because our final all natural matress (ours) was being delivered along with our wool matress pads and new natural pillows. However while visiting with friends earlier in the day ds1 and his friend thought jumping off a small chest freezer onto bubble wrap would be a good idea. Apparently cautious ds chickened out on the top of the freezer and his friend decided to help him along. He landed feet first thankfully, but twisted the one over in the process. He screamed and we came running (feeling like bad mommies of course) but it didn't really swell or bruise. After some cuddles he did go off to play limping. Well as the evening progressed (and we came home) he started to not be able to put any weight on it. I figured it was a sprain but they usually swell nicely, and tucked him into bed for the night. Well an hour later he woke up because it was hurting and tried to get out of bed and started screaming (of course I had just started to drift off myself). Dh works weekends so I called him at work to get his opinion (he's an x-ray tech) and tried to figure out how to make it work. He offered to come home but since that means they have to call in an on call tech and pay them more I didn't want him to annoy work. I thought about waking ds2 and taking both, but then decided to call my friend over, who came running over at 11pm with her baby for a sleepover (feeling a little guilty because of her son's involvement) and we headed out. Emerg must have been the place to be last night and we waited around for quite awhile. Luckily once we were seen we were moved along quickly. X-rays didn't show an obvious break (will be reviewed by the radiologist) and the Dr figures he damaged the cartilage or has a really bad sprain based on the location of the pain and the presentation. He needs to stay off of it for at least three days and go from there. Not very comfortable lugging a 5yo around, but he seems in better spirits today.
We got home around 4am to my friend, her 8 month old and ds2 all tucked into bed together and he was fine with me not being home when he woke up.
We are all a little grouchy today but everyone will hopefully be in bed very early tonight!

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#6 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

ouch I went through similar with DD this summer when she wanted to get herself a bandaid and didnt ask for help... all I heard was her screaming bloody murder from the bathroom and any mom can tell the difference between an ow that hurts and an OMG I THINK IM DYING! cry...

so I ran and grabbed her and had her on the couch asking her what happened and where it hurt... her wrist never swelled or bruised but a half hour after she fell, so much as sitting next to her on the couch was enough to send her back into tears... so I grabbed DS and took him to my moms and headed off to the ER...

luckily for her and hopefully for you it will turn out the same... it turned out to be nothing more than a very painful sprain... without any swelling or bruising at all. Within a week she was all better but it did help that they gave her a removable cast to keep her hand from flopping around and hurting her.

#7 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 PM

I gained 40+ with both pregnancies and am really hoping not to this time, though I lost it all after both so I guess if I do, it's not forever. I've gained about 4lbs already but I was also at the lowest I have been in my adult life and dieting, and stopped that when pregnancy was confirmed so I feel like some of the weight gain was just from stopping the diet and am not that concerned

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#8 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 05:59 PM

I don't even know what my starting weight was. I almost don't want to keep track, because I had problems with disordered eating in my teens, and even though it's been a decade, I'm worried that seeing that number steadily increase might trigger something.

I'll probably check next time I'm at the birth center for a prenatal appointment, though, because having actually written that out and acknowledged it, I think I will be able to see my weight gain as a positive thing and a step towards having my baby. It's funny how so often just getting things out of my head and either typed out, written, or spoken aloud is exactly what I need to be able to move past them.

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).
#9 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have gained about 5 or 7 lbs so far. I do not want to gain 50 lbs again, but I don't know if I really have a choice since it happened all 3 times before. I don't weigh myself at the midwives' office b/c their scale is 10 lbs heavier than my parents' and it makes me sad. And once I stop going to the FSBC and just see my HB MW, she doesn't do weights, so that will be a relief.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#10 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 06:26 PM

At 10w, I was down a lb from my weight at 6w, which I expected. I figure I will get out of the first tri with 0 gain--which is pretty normal for me. With DD1, I didn't gain till 26w (lost in the first tri and got back to my pre-pg weight at 20w). I still gained 30lbs, but most of it was swelling since I was 2lbs lighter than pre-pg at 2 weeks pp. With DD1, I think I gained a couple lbs in the first tri but managed to gain 45lbs even though I was active and eating healthy.

I'd like to gain a lb a week from here on out--which would put me at 28lbs or so--but I know my body likes to hit a certain weight at delivery. That would put me at 40lbs. UGH.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#11 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM

Ugh, I'm feeling cramping now (haven't felt it for awhile).

#12 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 PM

I've been noticing cramps recently, too. Usually they're poo-related or walk-related, but yeah...not fun.

1 pound a week would be a good goal, I think, though in dreamland I'd like to limit my weight gain to 20 pounds or less. In ultra-dreamland, 10 pounds. I started this pregnancy 20 pounds heavier than my last (due to stress and a foot injury, which thankfully has healed), and I really don't want to stack another 30 or 40 on top of that. I'm soooo glad it will be warm enough to walk outdoors and have an active lifestyle in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Summer is such an easy time to exercise and eat healthy...I so hope I can control my weight better this time.

Ew on the eye junk. We went through something similar last fall, and I hauled all the kids into the dr. only to be told that 1/2 of all conjunctivitis is VIRAL, and that he wouldn't give us drops unless the infection persisted over the next few days. I was so pissed (especially after the $100 co-pay), but grrrrrr....he was right. It went away on its own. $100 to find out I should have stayed home. Niiiiiiice.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#13 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

yeah... we used to get it a lot when we were little so we have learned at home to figure out the difference between bacterial and viral... this is very much a bad case of bacterial so it will need meds

and Im getting cramps too but mine are almost always poo related as well, my IBS is acting up as though I never changed my diet.

#14 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 09:52 PM

Almost drank a fruit fly in my lemonade, there....

So I'm finding out that the key to my 24/7 nausea is actually to eat pretty much constantly. This is difficult. I can only eat certain things. Sometimes I don't find out what I can't eat until it's too late and I'm throwing it up. Which leads to a fear of eating, which leads to an empty stomach, which leads to severe nausea, which doesn't make me want to eat. It's a vicious cycle. Getting up and walking around makes me feel worse, so going into the kitchen (my personal house of horrors no matter how clean it is) makes me so sick that I'm standing there, dry heaving into the garbage disposal, wondering what the heck I can eat so that I don't get more sick. Ugh!!!! When DH is home, it's easy to have him bring me stuff, and I do have snack foods positioned around the bedroom. But this is just impossible.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#15 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 11:05 PM

My big weight gain goal was not to gain in the first trimester. Historically, I've been OK past that point. I gained 50+ with DS and 60+ with DD, but with both of them I gained 20lbs in the first trimester and with DD I had a lot of swelling that added 10+lbs at the end. Now that I've skipped that first trimester weight gain nonsense, I'll be happy if stay under 30lbs. In my dreamland, 20 or under would be great. I started this pregnancy at my highest non-preggo weight, 20-25lbs higher than with my last two, so limiting the gain has been important to me.

I've actually lost enough off my hips and thighs that I can pull down my jeans without unbuttoning them! Although when they are up around my belly they are too tight, LOL! My belly is pretty big now, I've totally popped out. I'm going to have to tell work this week, it's pretty undeniable now

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#16 of 176 Old 02-21-2010, 11:12 PM

We have a big trip planned in April to South Padre Island , we are renting a big house with some other family and friends.
So suddenly I am pregnant and I need a maternity suit, i've been looking online adn think I found the one I want.
Today i go out of my way (20 mins) 3 kids and DH in tow nursing a Sonic slushy and a Zofran just to try out this suit at the store.

OMG! HORMONES! I looked like..... crap. thats all thier is to it. Suddenly my normal been-there-since-i-was16-but-totally-reasonably-sized saddle bagss are frigging GIGANTIC! and cheesy. omfg. they are oozing cottage cheese. WTF??

I had a complete crying fit breakdown in the dressing room. I was sooo embarassed at my own behavior. I bit my lip so hard and tried to high tail it back to the car with out the entire world noticing that I was bawling.

ugh.
The suit style made me look awful, but my hormones blew it WAYYYYYY out of proportion.

Then on the way home poor DH is trying to convince me how pretty I am, and how much he loves my thighs, and all I can do is sob like a baby. At this point he is all frustrated and mad liek I don't believe him.

ugh. what a day.
#17 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 12:18 AM

s, wry. Have you thought of putting a maternity tank over the top of your suit? The maternity bikini (I was a size 12 at the time, so not really a sexy one, but a necessary one--I was carrying twins and no maternity suit fit) I bought came with a tank that went over it, which means my tummy and thighs got a little extra coverage. It was really nice.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#18 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 AM

Well, 7 out of the 8 of us have been fighting Pneumonia and I am so glad to have been able to get something for the children's cough but the doc let me know I am out of luck. I have not gained but lost weight so far but I have a little to spare. We are slowly getting over it and feeling much better than we were. I am coughing less, but still a lot. I know the weight loss will not continue because it hasn't in 6 other pregnancies, so I am not worried. My oldest son is the only one who has not gotten the dreaded pneumonia. I hope everyone is doing well. I try to get on here when I can. With my job, part time school, and family I am busy. But I do enjoy the group. Helen
#19 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosehillworks View Post
I am so glad to have been able to get something for the children's cough but the doc let me know I am out of luck..
my grandmother uses ginger. seeing as ginger is also one of the highest recommended cures for morning sickness... perhaps you could give it a shot?
http://www.mamaherb.com/pneumonia-ho...y-using-ginger

#20 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 01:03 AM

Amanda_Reyasmom I'm leaning towards boy, but have no strong feelings about it yet!This is my first pregnancy in 11 years it all feels very new to me (again!)

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#21 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Reyasmom View Post
Amanda_Reyasmom I'm leaning towards boy, but have no strong feelings about it yet!This is my first pregnancy in 11 years it all feels very new to me (again!)
what was your other(s)? Just one girl?

#22 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 AM

Goodness ladies! I hope everyone's week gets better.

I feel like "popped" this weekend. DP said he thinks I won't be able to hide it much longer. We plan to tell friends and co-workers in 3-4 weeks, so I hope I can hide it for a bit longer.

My only negative right now, is I went to the hair-dresser over the weekend. I don't care for my hair-cut, I think it's too short. I just need to remind myself, it will grow.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#23 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 AM

I was having a fairly good day with only one heaving episode after spending all night puking.DH was nice enough to cook the dinner tonight and he just came back in and said there was a rat in the grill and now it is loose in the yard.We have a small yard and I have a dog that I'm going to have to let outside to pee eventually.DH cooked burgers inside and now the house reeks.Back to dry heaving and my ILs are flying in tomorrow and my house is still a wreck.Calgon take me away!

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#24 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDolphin View Post
I feel like "popped" this weekend.
me too! my tummy points now lol i have a feeling im going to carry this one very much in the front... but its too early to know for sure... but really feel like this is going to be one of those all-in-the-tummy pregnancies unlike with DD.

#25 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 01:14 AM

MaerynPearl
Thanks, I will try it.
#26 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
what was your other(s)? Just one girl?
Yes, just the one girl

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#27 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 01:43 AM

Just wanted to share this site w funny maternity tops and and other stuff...I particularly enjoyed the large family ones. " No they're not all mine...I gather up all the neighborhood kids and then go shopping" haha

http://www.cafepress.com/evilgeniusstore/1993389

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#28 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post
I was having a fairly good day with only one heaving episode after spending all night puking.DH was nice enough to cook the dinner tonight and he just came back in and said there was a rat in the grill and now it is loose in the yard.We have a small yard and I have a dog that I'm going to have to let outside to pee eventually.DH cooked burgers inside and now the house reeks.Back to dry heaving and my ILs are flying in tomorrow and my house is still a wreck.Calgon take me away!
Aww!! You poor thing. We had a squirrel in our house a couple of months ago, the day before the inlaws were supposed to be coming. UGH.

AFM, hearing the HB at my m/w appt. on Friday was not the relief/exciting thing that I thought it would be. It literally took 5 full minutes of moving the doppler all over the place to find it. And I know it was just because the baby was behind the placenta, and that when we DID hear it, albeit briefly, it was strong and healthy....but I don't know. The whole thing felt really unconvincing and I'm still anxious and want to hear that heartbeat again and again and again until it feels real.

I think I'm telling work today? Not sure when a better time will be.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#29 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM

My face hurts so bad. I get fever blisters by my eye if I run a fever and I guess I had a fever recently so my eye is swollen and hurting. Not fun.

#30 of 176 Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 AM

Wow, we're a messed up lot, huh? Hugs everyone. We'll make it.

Last night was the longest night of my life. Something I ate did not agree with me, and I was sick most of the night. I still feel bad this morning. Dd2 was up over and over again, and though dh and I traded off, neither of us got any sleep. He goes for his prk in a few hours, so...I'm hoping I suddenly start to feel better and can shake the tired. I have the feeling this is going to be a really long week.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page