Do all babies grow at the same rate up to 12 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And if they do, why can the fundus be different heights and not consistent until about 20 weeks?

Is it possible to have a baby measuring 9 weeks at 11 weeks, for example?

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#2 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 PM

Yes they do GENERALLY grow at the same rate up until 12 weeks, it can be a few days off but unlike later the room for error is much smaller (after 12 or so its a 2 week span on either side whereas before 12 its like 5 days or something? I cant look it up but its right around 1 week)

The fundus can be different heights because if you have had a child before or are just generally loose/built that way it is able to rise and expand faster... like... not under the same amount of pressure from the constriction of the uterus/surrounding tissues/muscles(but in both cases a safe amount of pressure)

Its very unlikely to have a 9 week baby measure 11 weeks because that is a few inch difference... I forget exactly how fast they grow at that time but it is something around a millimeter per day... which is why it can be a few days off but not likely to be much more than a few. sort of the equivalent of later on a baby who is really 30 weeks measuring 36 weeks.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 11:39 PM

For the first 20 weeks, most babies grow at a similar rate. After that is usually when you will get more genetic variation in size. Not as to say that all babies are the exact same size before that, everybody is different. But, consider this, just because your uterus measures a certain way, it doesn't mean the actual baby is measuring that way. There are things that would increase uterine size, such as fibroids, excess fluid, large placenta, or just individual anatomical differences.

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#4 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsalem View Post
But, consider this, just because your uterus measures a certain way, it doesn't mean the actual baby is measuring that way.

at 8 weeks I was measuring 12 with fundal height, went in at 9 weeks for an U/S and was measuring just a few days behind 9 weeks in baby-size.

my uterus just grows fast... not so much for the baby (but his/her daddy was a very small person until Junior year of high school... so that is my excuse lol)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. Okay, so that's what I thought.

So, say a person got a positive pg test, and counted from there to be 11 weeks. The u/s said they were 9, and the due date was changed. Wouldn't that be an impossibility? I mean, if you had a bfp 2 weeks earlier, how could you be 2 weeks later? Does that make sense? (This isn't me, btw. I was talking with a friend last night, and it really bothered me. It just doesn't add up.)

It is a viable pg, she's about 30 weeks now. And in the absence of bleeding, it would be awkward to assume she had a m/c and then quickly got pg again in a 2 week span.

I mean... .

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#6 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 AM

I think I ovulated before bleeding began during my first miscarriage. From the tiny embryo I passed around 12 weeks, I estimated that it stopped growing around 7 weeks. I think I then went on to have an ovulation a couple of weeks before I started to bleed.
Had we DTD around my ovulation, I supposed I could have become pregnant without ever having bleeding.

Melinda
#7 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM

Just1More - How many days after her last period did she get the positive test?

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#8 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Right at a month.

So, she got the bfp right at 30ish days, which would have been 4 weeks. She went in 7 weeks later for a u/s, and they said the baby measured 9 weeks, and moved her date 2 whole weeks later.

#9 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 AM

Super fetation is very rare but it does happen.
#10 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm so glad you asked this question!

Yesterday I had an u/s that measured the baby at 11w 6d, but I was only 10w 2d. I know when my last period was, I know when I ovulated, so I know I'm not off on my dates.
#11 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM

All I can think is that the U/S was measuring from conception and not LMP? As that would be right on.

#12 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
All I can think is that the U/S was measuring from conception and not LMP? As that would be right on.
Yes, but they wouldn't change the due date for that.

Another possibility is a technician who got an inaccurate measurement.
#13 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Yes, but they wouldn't change the due date for that.

Another possibility is a technician who got an inaccurate measurement.
I agree, the measurement is only as good as the tech's skill level. And, mistakes do happen. Plus, you have to remember, even the absolute BEST measurement has a margin of error. Before 10 weeks, this margin of error is somewhere around +/- 2-4 days. As you get closer to 20 weeks, the margin of error is more like +/- 5-7 days.

2 weeks is an awfully big discrepancy, though. You just never know how someone's body works, though, nature is often not textbook. And, it is possible to ovulate twice in the same cycle. Usually, I believe, the 2nd O is within 48 hours of the first O. And, not everyone has a 14 day luteal cycle. Everyone is different.

Also, I wonder what usually happens with a loss. Before the loss happens, do you think it is possible for the baby to slow significantly in growth before it's heart stops beating? Just a thought. I'm not sure if there is anything to that at all, but I wonder if it could proceed like that. Don't tell your friend that one, though.

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#14 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's probably a tech and/or machine error for your friend. It happened to me.... I went into the OB's office for my first couple of measurements on u/s and it was saying I was over a week smaller. They change my due date. I go into the Peri's office with her super awesome new machine AND she is SKILLED at doing the measurements and I come out a week ahead of my previous measurement. She changes my due date back....lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if your friend delivers "early".

And I did just ask my Peri about babies being the same size and there being a variation for genetics ( my babes are BIG...10lbs) and she said that up until 20 weeks all healthy fetuses measure the same on ultrasound. After that, genetics start to play into it. Fundus can absolutely be "ahead" for gestational age. I'm sure if she measured my fundus that I would be measuring ahead. I'm a bigger girl, and this is my 6th pregnancy advancing into the 2nd trimester. But since we are doing bi weekly ultrasounds, measuring my fundus isn't needed.

Sharon, yes, a baby's growth can start to lessen before a loss, after the 2nd trimester. And that is why I am having appointments with my Peri. every 2 weeks and having ultrsounds at every single appointment. We are monitoring my baby's growth. A slowing in growth will be an indication that something is not right. BUT.....if baby measured 9 weeks at the first appointment and then continued to grow as needed ( say they did an u/s 3 weeks later and baby measured 12 weeks) then everything is fine. Does that make sense??

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#15 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, she is hoping to go "early", lol.

It's actually sort of a good thing, because at 42 weeks, they'll have her down as 40! But, if she goes at the real 36 weeks, they'll think she's only 34, and try to force a lot of tests and things.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. My guess is a tech error, too.

(I've had the tech there, and she caused me a good deal of grief with my last baby. Sigh, u/s. )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page