Appointment Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 371 Old 04-14-2010, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolliegee View Post
So, I had my 20 week ultrasound today. Baby looked great, and the biggest shocker was that it's a BOY!!! I really thought this baby was a girl, so I was really surprised and I have to admit, a bit disappointed. I can't even imagine right now having another boy in my house.
I know what you mean...I was really hoping this was a boy, and I've been dealing with some disappointment that it's a girl. Especially because we know this is our last, so my dream-baby-boy won't ever happen.

I was talking to a friend today who was also disappointed when she found out the gender of her third/last baby...her baby is 6 m.o. now, and she says that she must have been crazy to want anything else, that she can't imagine life without THIS specific l.o. That's a comforting thought. I remember being a little disappointed that ds3 wasn't a girl, but when he was a baby (and now) I remember thinking "I wouldn't trade him for a million girls!"

I've been finding it easier to get really excited when I think of this being a BABY, not necessarily a girl or a daughter. It's a goofy mental separation, I know, but it's fun to think of the cuddles, the chubs, the nursing, the soft cotton, the smell....I know I'm going to fall in love completely, so I'm focusing on the parts that (for now) really get me happy.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 371 Old 04-15-2010, 11:19 AM

I had my midwife appointment yesterday. My baby is breech so it took a while to find the heartbeat. The midwife kept checking for it down low. I'm measuring small again, but I have tipped uterus and with all my kids I've measured small. I'm 18 weeks now and my next appointment is set for 22 weeks which would be May 12th I think.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#123 of 371 Old 04-15-2010, 12:23 PM

I had an appointment today and heard the heartbeat again I love that sound. I scheduled my ultrasound so we'll see if we can find out the sex or not on Tuesday.

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#124 of 371 Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 PM

ROM--So pleased to hear that baby girl is healthy.

I want to thank lolligee and ROM for being so frank about their feelings (and disappointment) about the gender of the baby. I have been struggling with this going into my u/s on Tuesday, so much so that I don't know if I want to find out! So I appreciate knowing that others have felt disappointment, acknowledged that, and moved on dealing with it.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#125 of 371 Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 PM

I can relate also and am really glad to know I'm not the only one. We've decided not to get any ultrasounds with this pregnancy, and one of things keeping me from wanting to find out the gender is that I've connected 100% to the GIRL I strongly feel is growing within me. I've gotten so hooked on the idea that I feel that I would be dissapointed if I find out its a boy. I know I will love the baby no matter what, but I think it will be easier after the baby is born and I'm already in love with the person I'm holding, rather than the idea in my head...if that makes any sense.

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#126 of 371 Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM

Heard the heartbeat again today, what a relief! I'm starting to feel kicks now, so it's getting easier not to be nervous. Will have the big ultrasound in about 2-3 weeks!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#127 of 371 Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 AM

Hi all, sorry it's taken me so long to get back on here. My laptop has some major issues right now and although I can read everything on my phone, posting is a PIA!

PinkBunch, I just want to say that I've been in this "predicament" before. I have wanted another girl for the 2nd through this pregnancy. I also cannot imagine my life without the boys I have. I know that I will come to love this little guy just as much and won't be able to imagine life without him. I think for me, I was hoping to have the "girly-girl" that I didn't get with my first (and only) daughter. She's is not only not a girly-girl, she's just the opposite and at the moment, I can't even look forward to sharing any of her own birth experiences, as she's gay and does not plan to carry any children of her own. It's something that I'll just have to learn to live with and I know I will. I think it may just be especially hard for me this time, because I know for certain that this is our last, as my husband plans to get a vasectomy after the baby's born.

One thing that is very interesting to me, is that I've had two more girl dreams since the ultrasound. Having never had any dreams that showed the sex of the baby with any of my 4 other pregnancies, even after knowing by the ultrasound, I find it very odd to still be having girl dreams. Maybe it's just my minds way of helping me get over the disappointment.

Anyhow, I had my appt with the OB yesterday and I've got great news! He said my sugars looked great and he already had talked to my midwife and they were okay with me continuing to see them the way I did in my last pregnancy...just alternating between the two of them (with him just managing the diabetic portion of things). I'm thrilled! He said even if I do have to go on oral meds, he'll still be okay with things. Which, I know is breaking their new protocol!!

That's all for now, sorry for another epic post. Don't have another appt until the 6th.

Sheila ~~~Happily married 23 yrs joy.gif, mama to five wonderful kiddos with #6 babyf.gif due in July grouphug.gif! familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif
#128 of 371 Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Heard the heartbeat again today--always such a relief, especially since I'm not feeling her kick with any regularity. Also got back my AFP test, which was normal....so, all in all, a pretty good appointment.

I'm so glad I switched from my former doctor; every time I used to go to her she was so cold and hyper-alarmist. She wanted me to go to a perinatologist for my 20 week checkup because my blood work with the NT scan showed a 1/1500 risk for Downs and because I'm overweight. Pretty much every time I left her office I was in tears!

I've been to this new place a few times and like it *so* much better. The practice has 2 midwives (who I *love*) and 2 OBs; my appt. today was with one of the OBs. She was nice, but I definitely prefer the midwives, so I'm going to try to stick with them.

Huh. A very long, rambling post. Sorry. Just so happy that everything went well today and that I'm now with a practice that I really like.

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#129 of 371 Old 04-22-2010, 11:00 PM

I had my first appt. with one of my midwives today. I'm switching from my OB to a midwife and doing a homebirth.

The appt. went great. My vitals were all good, no problems. She was able to get the heartbeat with the doppler. It's still takes time with the anterior placenta, but she got it after a couple of tries. She spent two hours talking to me about my vision for a homebirth. It was wonderful!!

Tomorrow I have my anatomy ultrsound. My DH and both of my children are attending. They are so excited.

Janine, wife to Mark, mom to Ashlyn (11), Julianna (9), Andrew (3)
#130 of 371 Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Yay for appointments! I love love love hearing my little one's heartbeat!!!! It puts a smile on my face for the rest of the day (at least). I absolutely can't wait to feel movement. My appointment went really well yesterday. DH came along and recorded the sound of the heartbeat. Can't wait to share that with family. Everything else was fine, blood pressure, uterus size, etc. I just need to work on my exercise and protein intake. After yoga today, we were chatting with the teacher about midwifery, and the teacher who is also a student midwife and doula was saying that midwifery works so well because of the great prenatal care, and part of great prenatal care is how the mom takes care of herself. Well that really hit home, and hopefully be the backbone of my motivation. That and having a good labor and healthy baby. : )

Melissa
#131 of 371 Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 PM

Good news! (Though again they really had me sweating for a moment...)

I picked up the phone this afternoon and it was the receptionist at the neonatal department: "We have Dr. P----- on hold and he would like to speak to you. Is now a good time?"

"Um...sure...."

Turns out it's the best possible news. The TS genetic tests came back and this baby does NOT have tuberous sclerosis!!! It was the results we were expecting, but I can't tell you how GREAT it feels to have that worry swept aside. This is the first pregnancy EVER where I'm not going to spend another moment worrying about TS, or watching my newborn for seizures. I am so happy and excited.

We have our final anatomy scan and ultrasound on Friday, and I think I finally feel ready to accept that things are okay. I haven't made a wider family/friends announcement yet (heck...haven't even "announced" it in my siggy!). Once we see her again on Friday, and hopefully everything looks good...I think it will finally be time to share the happy news.

#132 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 AM

Wonderful news ROM!!

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

#133 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 AM

Indeed!

AFM next appointment is a week from today and we schedule the ultrasound then....

GAH I AM SO EXCITED I WANT TO KNOW WHO IS IN MY BELLY!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#134 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 12:27 AM

That is *wonderful* news ROM! I hope the next ultrasound goes just as well.

AFM: I am still waiting for the final results of my ultrasound last week. The midwifery clinic was closed on Friday and my midwife was at a birth today so hopefully tomorrow.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#135 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
Good news! (Though again they really had me sweating for a moment...)

I picked up the phone this afternoon and it was the receptionist at the neonatal department: "We have Dr. P----- on hold and he would like to speak to you. Is now a good time?"

"Um...sure...."

Turns out it's the best possible news. The TS genetic tests came back and this baby does NOT have tuberous sclerosis!!! It was the results we were expecting, but I can't tell you how GREAT it feels to have that worry swept aside. This is the first pregnancy EVER where I'm not going to spend another moment worrying about TS, or watching my newborn for seizures. I am so happy and excited.

We have our final anatomy scan and ultrasound on Friday, and I think I finally feel ready to accept that things are okay. I haven't made a wider family/friends announcement yet (heck...haven't even "announced" it in my siggy!). Once we see her again on Friday, and hopefully everything looks good...I think it will finally be time to share the happy news.
Oh YAY! That's so wonderful!

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#136 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 AM

Aw, thanks everyone!

It's amazing how different it feels to go ahead with that one little piece of knowledge. Like last night I was thinking back to the 16 wk ultrasound, and how the doctor said our daughter had such an amazingly developed heart for her gestational age. That was nice to hear, but since then I've wondered "well...what if that means it's developing that fast because of TS, or pre-visible tumor growth??"...I found myself thinking that last night, and then I quickly remembered the TS test results. !!! I don't have to worry about heart tumors anymore!! Little things like that...where my mind goes down old, familiar paths of worry, and now I can just sweep it away and KNOW that dd doesn't have TS. It's such a great feeling!

I can't wait to hear your results, triscuit and Maeryn!

#137 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM

ROM- what a relief! So happy for you.
#138 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 AM

ROM--What wonderful news!! I'm so happy for you and your family.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#139 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 PM

That's so great ROM!!! I'm so happy for you, you deserve this! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

I have a level II ultrasound Monday. We're going to need to check the cervix again because it was short last Friday...very short. I'm hoping it won't get any worse or I might need a cerclage and/or progesterone shots, but for right now, I'm on modified bed rest. It's going to be a long week.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#140 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Oh wow, bri. I hope you get good news. What does cerclage involve? Is a a pretty sure-fire way to stop premature dilation?

#141 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 04:02 PM

Wahooooooooooooo!! ROM, what wonderful news! I'm sure your heart was in your toes at that phone call, but it was so worth it to get such relief.

bri--I'm sorry you're dealing with a scare. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

Mae--I could not be as patient as you! I'm so glad my u/s is done and gone

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#142 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
I have a level II ultrasound Monday. We're going to need to check the cervix again because it was short last Friday...very short. I'm hoping it won't get any worse or I might need a cerclage and/or progesterone shots, but for right now, I'm on modified bed rest. It's going to be a long week.
Sucks Hope it doesn't get worse.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#143 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Looks like I may be heading into the doctors today or tomorrow...

ANOTHER UTI!!!!!

But that usually means they will push my appointment up and schedule my Ultrasound sooner so I cant be totally heartbroken!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#144 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 PM

ROM: Yay! That's such great news!

Bri: I'm so sorry things are so nervewracking right now. I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Maeryn: Ugh for the UTI, but hooray for the ultrasound! Hope the baby cooperates and lets you get a peek!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#145 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Appointment is tomorrow morning at 9am... really hoping I can get in for an ultrasound this friday... otherwise next week I have to aim for wednesday (or else it will just be DD and I... I would rather get to take my mom with since DF cant go)

#146 of 371 Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 PM

I just wanted to do a quick update. My midwife called this morning and everything visualizes as normal with his heart I know that isn't a guarantee, but at least nothing major was seen now.

21 weeks tomorrow... time is flyin'

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#147 of 371 Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 AM

Congratulations ROM, that's wonderful news.

Bri, my thoughts are with you, hope everything goes well.

Sheila ~~~Happily married 23 yrs joy.gif, mama to five wonderful kiddos with #6 babyf.gif due in July grouphug.gif! familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif
#148 of 371 Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post
I just wanted to do a quick update. My midwife called this morning and everything visualizes as normal with his heart I know that isn't a guarantee, but at least nothing major was seen now.
There you go! GREAT news!

#149 of 371 Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
Oh wow, bri. I hope you get good news. What does cerclage involve? Is a a pretty sure-fire way to stop premature dilation?
It's sort of a tricky thing. They don't like to do them for women who haven't already had 2nd trimester losses. It's like, they work really well for certain groups at certain times. It would have been better to get it done before 18 wks and before the shortening started- but there are risks to the cerclage itself so that wouldn't have happened. But if it gets much shorter, like less that 2 cm, the benefits of having it done will probably outweigh the risks. I don't know. If it gets any shorter, I'm going straight to a peri and having a very long talk.

I'm most bummed about my planned trip to Florida next month. I haven't seen my dad since September and I really wanted to visit him. I hope I still can.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#150 of 371 Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 PM

no ultrasound scheduled today... go in again on monday and will schedule then

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page