Appointment Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we had one of these in my last DDC... just a place to post when your next OB/MW appointment is, and update on how everything went.

My second appointment is next Monday morning (the 15th). Probably won't really be doing anything, reviewing my lab results (which will probably be nothing because they call if anything is wrong), weight/bp/urine, doppler heartbeat, measure uterus, any questions?, then go home. Although he did say we would talk about what if anything we can do this time around to see if we can get this baby to stay in a bit longer (Em was slightly premature).

When is everyone else having a second appointment (or is anyone about to have their first appointment)?

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#2 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 03:20 PM

I had mine this past week. I've had HG really bad this time so Im on the Zofran pump. Doc was upset to see I'd lost a few more lbs, Im still showing ketones in my urine (probably from the weight loss) and I even had some protein in my urine which is a first. BP was low (as usual) and all my tests came back fine at this point. Heart rate was perfect in the 150's. Other than fuss at me a bit about my weight and trying to get some extra calories down, it was pretty quick and painless. I go back in a few weeks for another weight check, and maybe Ill be done with the pump by then. My legs look like they've been in a losing boxing match with all the welts and bruises from the port.
#3 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 04:17 PM

I'm having an amnio a week from today, with my second midwife appt on March 18. Really looking forward to confirmation that baby's still okay in there. It's so hard feeling nothing and not showing at all!

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#4 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM

My second appointment is April 2. Feels like a long ways away now. But then again I'm still happy from my first (just this past Friday).

Mama to Penelope!! born 9/19/10. Missing Elliott 10/10/09. And expecting expecting again Oct '14!
#5 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM

I have my second appointment on Wednesday (10th). I'm meeting the backup midwife.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#6 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 06:30 PM

My second appointment with the midwife will be this Wednesday. We are doing bloodwork (of which I am terrified - needles) and hopefully hearing the baby on the doppler. I would be more nervous that something could be wrong if my belly weren't growing so well.

I am now concerned about pre-eclampsia though and am trying to figure out what I should do to prevent it. My blood pressure is a little high, but I think that could be a white coat hypertension sort of thing. I hate the arm squeezing.

SAHM to one precious 2 year old and wife to my loving DH. And here we go again!
****5****10****15****20****25**joy.gif*30****35****40
#7 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 06:34 PM

My very first official Dr visit is this Friday! A new doc that I've never met before in a clinic I've never been to before. She's a new doc,like out of med school new so I'm not sure what she'll be like and how she likes to help mamas birth. I've heard great things about the clinic though.

She will be "confirming" my pregnancy on paper for me to take to wellie so I can get the "pregnancy allowance" for extra food. I'm hoping to hear a heartbeat as well so I know for sure that I'm pregnant,cuz really I still think the nurse who called me was making a prank call.

I hope that I've gained a little weight or at least haven't lost any. The nurse weighed me when I went to apply for the OLO (like WIC for eggs,milk and juice) and I'd lost about 12 pounds or so from my pre-pregnancy weight.

I hope that by feeling my belly she can assure me that baby is in the right place. It feels like it's in the wrong place,but maybe I'm feeling the wrong thing.

Maybe I should ask for my protein and ketones to be checked? I had severe nausea in the first 11 weeks and it's not as bad now,but not that good either. What's the difference between normal "morning sickness" and HG?

On Thursday is my first prenatal class. I don't look forward it to that much really. I don't know what to expect. I was just told to show up for my OLO coupons at the start or end of class. I'll stay for class since it's free and maybe it will be helpful. Maybe I'll make some friends. I just don't want anyone to ask where the babys father is.
#8 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis View Post
( I am terrified - needles)

I am now concerned about pre-eclampsia though and am trying to figure out what I should do to prevent it. My blood pressure is a little high, but I think that could be a white coat hypertension sort of thing. I hate the arm squeezing.
I hate and fear needles also. What do you fear about them? For me it's the pain they cause. Really it's just a fear. Once it's over I realize that it didn't hurt at all. I always let the doc or nurse know that I'm very scared of needles and tell them I need to lay down and do some deep breathing to stay calm. They've always been extra gentle with me and I'm always fine right after. Sometimes I even give myself a little treat after Bring a Hershies kiss with you maybe!

I actually like the BP thingy. I like the tingly feeling it gives me. Just try to remember it doesn't last that long and maybe try and imagine something else or concentrate on some song lyrics or a to do list or something while she's doing it.
#9 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 PM

My third midwife appt will be on the 17th. It will be my first appt with my secondary midwife so I hope we click. Hoping to better hear the h/b this time.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#10 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis View Post
I don't think there is any sure way to "prevent" pre-e. Some do swear by the Brewer diet, of course. Pre-e this early, though, is pretty rare and I wouldn't worry too much if your urine is good (no protein). Your high bp could very well be just being stressed/nervous at your appointment. Do you know any nursing students or anyone who would take your bp at home, just to see if there is a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
My very first official Dr visit is this Friday! A new doc that I've never met before in a clinic I've never been to before. She's a new doc,like out of med school new so I'm not sure what she'll be like and how she likes to help mamas birth. I've heard great things about the clinic though.

She will be "confirming" my pregnancy on paper for me to take to wellie so I can get the "pregnancy allowance" for extra food. I'm hoping to hear a heartbeat as well so I know for sure that I'm pregnant,cuz really I still think the nurse who called me was making a prank call.

I hope that I've gained a little weight or at least haven't lost any. The nurse weighed me when I went to apply for the OLO (like WIC for eggs,milk and juice) and I'd lost about 12 pounds or so from my pre-pregnancy weight.

I hope that by feeling my belly she can assure me that baby is in the right place. It feels like it's in the wrong place,but maybe I'm feeling the wrong thing.

Maybe I should ask for my protein and ketones to be checked? I had severe nausea in the first 11 weeks and it's not as bad now,but not that good either. What's the difference between normal "morning sickness" and HG?

On Thursday is my first prenatal class. I don't look forward it to that much really. I don't know what to expect. I was just told to show up for my OLO coupons at the start or end of class. I'll stay for class since it's free and maybe it will be helpful. Maybe I'll make some friends. I just don't want anyone to ask where the babys father is.
With a very new doc, you do have to worry about lack of experience, but at least she will be up on the most recent studies and not into something weird like routine episiotomy or out-dated things that older ob's do.

This far along, you'll probably hear a heartbeat. Since it's an OB, she may send you to u/s if you don't, or may just wait until next appointment (cause it is possible to not hear it at this stage, just unlikely).

It's okay if you haven't gained weight or you've lost weight so far, as long as you start gaining from here on out. Pound or so a week.

She can't tell you where the actual baby is, but I'm sure she'll be able to do an internal/external palpation of your uterus (basically, feeling for it vaginally and outside pressing on your stomach) if you want her to. That will let her know that your uterus is growing at the right rate, and that all seems normal.

It's standard to check urine, you won't have to ask.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#11 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifera2 View Post
I'm having an amnio a week from today, with my second midwife appt on March 18. Really looking forward to confirmation that baby's still okay in there. It's so hard feeling nothing and not showing at all!
I know what you mean!!! My second appointment is tomorrow (Tuesday) and I will be glad to hear the heartbeat again!!!!!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#12 of 371 Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Second MW appt is not until the 25. I am having a hard time believing everything is ok. There is no reason to worry.... I saw the bean at 9 weeks, heard the HB at 13 weeks.... why worry, right?

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#13 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 AM

I had my first appointment with the midwives today!! No more OB!!! They are such a great, kind group. It's a freestanding birth center, with three midwives, and an apprentice. Their secretary/front desk/all around helper is also a doula. Their two birth rooms are beautiful! One is a rosey pink, one a sagey green, with deep tubs, queen size beds, hardwood floors, armoire type things that hold supplies. You have access to a big kitchen area with a fridge, stove, etc. too as well as their meeting room (complete with a train table and toys) if you have family present you don't want in the room. If my house looked like this I would be having a homebirth, LOL! I heard the heartbeat today! My fundus is about mid-way between my pubic bone and navel. The midwife said she thinks I would be bigger at this point with twins, which made me feel better, LOL! My blood pressure was my normal preggo low, heart rate in the 150's. I go back in a month, at 17 weeks and we'll schedule a 20 week anatomy scan at that point. Heard the heartbeat too, loud and clear!! For the first time!! I was thrilled! Found it right away, Doppler on my belly, heard a heartbeat instantly! I'm just pleased as can be tonight

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#14 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 AM

Ilovemyavery, I am hoping to be in your shoes a week from tomorrow. My second appointment is the 16th and I will surely hear the heartbeat for the first time (no success at 9.5 weeks). I CAN'T WAIT to hear the heartbeat and just relax a bit about this baby. I also will be getting results from my hemoglobin A1C, which I expect to be normal since I didn't get a phone call from my midwives after my blood draw last time. Hopefully my pee stick will be free of sugar this time and I won't have to worry about that as much. And, I will schedule my third appointment, at which time I, too, will schedule my 20wk u/s. Yay!
#15 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 AM

I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and support about my awful OB appt. yesterday (was too upset to notice I didn't post about it here at the time so it went in the old weekly thread) Today I am feeling less overwhelmed and more determined than ever to find a MW who will attend a VBAC...I will update with how the search goes

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#16 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
I had my first appointment with the midwives today!! No more OB!!! They are such a great, kind group. It's a freestanding birth center, with three midwives, and an apprentice. Their secretary/front desk/all around helper is also a doula. Their two birth rooms are beautiful! One is a rosey pink, one a sagey green, with deep tubs, queen size beds, hardwood floors, armoire type things that hold supplies. You have access to a big kitchen area with a fridge, stove, etc. too as well as their meeting room (complete with a train table and toys) if you have family present you don't want in the room. If my house looked like this I would be having a homebirth, LOL! I heard the heartbeat today! My fundus is about mid-way between my pubic bone and navel. The midwife said she thinks I would be bigger at this point with twins, which made me feel better, LOL! My blood pressure was my normal preggo low, heart rate in the 150's. I go back in a month, at 17 weeks and we'll schedule a 20 week anatomy scan at that point. Heard the heartbeat too, loud and clear!! For the first time!! I was thrilled! Found it right away, Doppler on my belly, heard a heartbeat instantly! I'm just pleased as can be tonight
Yay! Sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblue0729 View Post
I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and support about my awful OB appt. yesterday (was too upset to notice I didn't post about it here at the time so it went in the old weekly thread) Today I am feeling less overwhelmed and more determined than ever to find a MW who will attend a VBAC...I will update with how the search goes
Good luck... don't despair, they are out there and you'll find one!

#17 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
Second MW appt is not until the 25. I am having a hard time believing everything is ok. There is no reason to worry.... I saw the bean at 9 weeks, heard the HB at 13 weeks.... why worry, right?
This is how I was. I was absolutely terrified that I simply wasn't really pregnant, because I didn't really feel pregnant.

Then yesterday, in my second appointment, we went through the usual - BP, weight (ugh!), etc. Then came time for the doppler to hear the hearbeat. And my midwife could not find anything. She searched for a couple of minutes, and nothing. Then she had my recline fully, thinking that would help, and nothing. I thought I was going to die right then and there. She could see the fear on my face, and she said, "Go to the bathroom again." I said, "I just went half an hour ago, but I'll give it a try." Of course, I get into the bathroom, and I tinkle...fluid unkowingly collecting in my bladder. Go back to my midwife, lay down, and instant heartbeat!

Needless to say, I cried with joy!

I have my nuchal translucency testing on Thursday morning, and a chance to see the little bean. Can't wait!
#18 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM

1st MW appointment is the 15th! i'll be 13/14 weeks. Ish.

i see my GP this week so he can eval me for a refill on my Zofran. (oh he better refill me.)
#19 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblue0729 View Post

glad to hear you are staying positive! i'm sure you will find a great care provider!
#20 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Had my first official MW appointment last week. I'm so happy and excited every time I get to meet with her, just to be able to focus on all the preggo/baby stuff with someone who is totally riveted and into it is fun DH is awesome, but it's different talking to a woman about it, IMO. Anyway, the appt lasted about an hour, even though there wasn't much "doing" anything. Mostly just talking. My MW doesn't do routine urine dips or routine weight checks (she is much more interested in WHAT I'm eating, though I do keep track and she makes note of it). She did check BP which I was glad about because I haven't had it checked in YEARS and so-called hypertension was the "reason" for my previous cesarean. It was a nice 110/79, so yay! We also talked about what supplements I'd take and decided on a DHA supplement, Magnesium asporotate, calcium, and possible vitamin D depending on how much sunlight I'm going to be able to get. I plan on taking walks every day once it stops raining, so that should help.

I haven't heard the HB yet since I'm declining dopplers. Might try with the fetoscope on the next appt, we'll see. I also declined when she offered to check my fundus. At the time, I knew it would still be pretty low and I can't stand the idea of anyone touching the area where my incision was. It gives me the heebie jeebies.

My next appt. is on the 30th and I'll be 16 weeks! Does it seem like time is FLYING by to anyone else? Anyway, at that visit she will draw blood for my antibody screen (I'm RH-) and blood panel.

I honestly have no need to be even seeing the MW yet since I'm declining pretty much all the routine stuff (which she is SO cool about, being a UC mama herself. She has informed choice agreements to cover pretty much everything and they are so well balanced with info! Love it!) but, it's just SO MUCH FUN!!!

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#21 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM

I don't have an appointment, but it's a walk in place anyway. *But I have a mw's orders to go get another us before my next appointment.
This will be the same ultrasound tech that originally mis-diagnosed me with an empty gestional sac last month. *That was two weeks of pain sitting at the house waiting on a mis-carraige that wasn't happening. *
Dh says everyone makes mistakes. *The baby was just to small last time and I told the tech I already missed three periods (two were just missed periods, the third was the baby). *And the mw says we need two accurate us's during the pregnancy. *One early and one late to compare positions.
So, that's sometime this month.
But I have a great midwife. He delivered Wyatt back in '07. Great birthing center MHO
#22 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 10:52 PM

I bet I have the latest first appointment of anyone Mine is the 24th and I'll be 13 1/2 weeks. I'm getting anxious to hear the HB though, so I'm going to borrow a friend's doppler this weekend (I'll be 12 weeks).

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#23 of 371 Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 PM

My next appointment is Saturday. I am nervous because we've had two previous losses, but we heard a nice strong heartbeat at 11 weeks and saw the baby on ultrasound that same week, so my rational side is saying everything is okay.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#24 of 371 Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 AM

My third appt is on the 22nd and then we have our gender ultrasound on the 30th! I'm so excited! We've been struggling over names, so it will be awesome to finally know what to concentrate on!

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#25 of 371 Old 03-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Had my second appt with the midwife this morning. We heard the heartbeat!!! Oh it was so neat. At first, she couldn't find it and I was getting worried, but then she had me get up on the edge of the table to pop my uterus out and boom there it was! DH came this time because he really wanted to hear the hb and I think he was excited too.

She drew four vials of blood and I did really well if I do say so myself.

And we discussed doulas and DH and decided to start interviewing a few.

All in all, great visit - can't wait for April 7th for our next one.

SAHM to one precious 2 year old and wife to my loving DH. And here we go again!
****5****10****15****20****25**joy.gif*30****35****40
#26 of 371 Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yay Louis!

I do love hearing the heartbeat, and yay that your husband could come. Mine is not coming to my next appointment Monday, but since we're doing a 20-week u/s to find out gender, he's coming then.

#27 of 371 Old 03-10-2010, 03:19 PM

I go back April 6th

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#28 of 371 Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM

Have an emergency appointment at 2:30 to check on my ear. Positive doctor will want to check on baby too (especially if they weigh me, I lost a considerable amount of weight the past week)

My ear is BAD though... its stuffy, I cant hear anything but a constant buzzing sound.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#29 of 371 Old 03-10-2010, 06:16 PM

So the past week has been sinus infection from hell (as confirmed by my doctor today) and the ear is an ear infection caused by the sinus infection.

She is putting me on an antibiotic and benedryl... and told me to take benedryl on the flights there and back. Never thought of that but it makes total sense!

I lost 5 pounds in 7 days... probably more like in 5 days, with 1 day feeling okay on either side... since thats the last time I went in was a week ago. Its crazy but she said as long as I was eating every day and staying hydrated the baby is fine.

The nurse thought I was dehydrated because my blood pressure was so LOW (lmao) 100/60... thats really quite normal for me, when I pointed that out she was just shocked (this isnt my normal nurse... Ive talked to her on the phone before but never had her in office while I was... sweetheart just like my normal nurse, but my normal nurse knows that 100/60 is just another day for me)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#30 of 371 Old 03-10-2010, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lots of great appointments!! So great to read!

I have another Peri appt. tomorrow - 11th. I'm of course, nervous...but hopefully all of my fears will subside ( for at least another 2 weeks till my next appointment). I'll have an u/s ( I have one at every one..high risk). We're entering the period of time that I lost my pregnancies so I'm on edge. My pregnancies were lost between 15 and 20 weeks and I'm 14w4d today. I *think* I'm feeling movement...but I'm not sure. I keep doubting myself. Praying for a good appt. tomorrow...

Lots of positive thoughts for everyone going to appointments in the future...

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page