"Old way is out, C-section is modern" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh Ugh, why do I watch The Baby Story???!!
I'm addicted to all the baby shows even though half the time I just get irritated haha

Her "mucus plug broke" haha

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#2 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I watch them all the time usually, but I vowed not to while pregnant. I don't want to see all of these medicated births (that end in C-section more than half the time). I am so excited to be having a home birth this time!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM

I told you I don't know how you do it! I can't stand it once they bring that poor baby home and are talking about circ care and have a bottle in its mouth at 2 days old.

Kelly, wife to J and mama to our precious A, HE'S 5! and the parasite will emerge on or before Sept 24, 2010!
#4 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I can't watch these shows.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#5 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 PM

I can't watch them either. Depending on my mood I usually get mad or really sad about it all.

MDC's birth stories forum is my own personal "Baby Story" favorite.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#6 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM

I refuse to watch.

I'm one step away from deactivating my facebook account, too, what with all the stories and articles on there.

I've done plenty of research, and now I feel strongly that watching/reading some things can program me on a deep level...if that makes sense. I want my mind to be filled with images of peace and happiness.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#7 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 04:21 PM

What's on facebook?!

Have you "friended" Kellymom.com yet? Nice resource for babywearing and breastfeeding.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#8 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 04:26 PM

I remember watching those addictively when I was pregnant with DS1. There were a few birth center stories.... maybe once every few months I'd get surprised by one.

I haven't watched them in a long time. I'd probably get annoyed and mad with the TV. Too bad we can't have Birth Story Netherlands... where something like 1/3 of births are at home.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#9 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 06:35 PM

Those shows irritate me too! Sometimes I wonder, did that doc just say....??? Pretty sure what he/she just said isn't true!!!

Feel bad for moms who don't know what they are missing!!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#10 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
What's on facebook?!

Have you "friended" Kellymom.com yet? Nice resource for babywearing and breastfeeding.
Yeah, I also like Asnatureintended and peacefulparenting.

I'm just too into the activism and read too many studies, stories, articles etc.

The loss stories are the worst for me. I still start crying when I think of Layla.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#11 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 PM

I feel bad for the parents a lot because it seems like the docs/hospital staff have them worked up into a panic by the time they leave! I know jaundice can be serious when it gets too severe, but our neonatologist in DD's NICU is actually one of the nation's leading jaundice experts and he wasn't phased by some mild newborn jaundice one bit, I see that constantly on those shows. The women so often have zero support for breastfeeding. They're threatened that something terrible will happen to the baby if they don't have an "emergency" c-section for very normal slow progression of labor or tiny decels during contractions that pick right back up and they're all induced*...they just don't ever let nature take it's course, even with these healthy, low risk moms and babes...

(I was induced, but I walked in there at 41 weeks 5+ cm dilated and contracting, so )

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#12 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 PM

I don't know if it was what the PP was intending to say, but my problem with facebook is all the stories from "friends" about CIO, inductions, seemingly uneccessary c-sections, formula, etc. I have some people whose posts I've hidden, because I can't stand seeing one more, "Letting babe CIO- it's tough, but I've gotta sleep!" followed by 10 comments that extol the value of CIO and how well it worked for them.

Oh! And on that note, today is "Babywearing is Safe" day on facebook- change your profile pic to one of you safely babywearing. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...9390644&ref=nf

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#13 of 20 Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
I don't know if it was what the PP was intending to say, but my problem with facebook is all the stories from "friends" about CIO, inductions, seemingly uneccessary c-sections, formula, etc. I have some people whose posts I've hidden, because I can't stand seeing one more, "Letting babe CIO- it's tough, but I've gotta sleep!" followed by 10 comments that extol the value of CIO and how well it worked for them.

Oh! And on that note, today is "Babywearing is Safe" day on facebook- change your profile pic to one of you safely babywearing. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...9390644&ref=nf
I've done the same thing. I actually did a purge today of anyone on there that talks about CIO or hitting their LOs. I just have no patience for maintaining meaningless relationships with people that pollute my good mood.

Kelly, wife to J and mama to our precious A, HE'S 5! and the parasite will emerge on or before Sept 24, 2010!
#14 of 20 Old 03-14-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I've done the same thing. I actually did a purge today of anyone on there that talks about CIO or hitting their LOs. I just have no patience for maintaining meaningless relationships with people that pollute my good mood.
The hitting is what REALLY gets on my nerves. I keep having people come up to me and say, "you know the best thing you can do for your youngin' is to beat their butt?" AHHHHHH!

O/T -- There was a show I recorded called "Freebirthing". It was about home births. Did anyone catch that?

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.
#15 of 20 Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM

I usually dont like watching these but I do LOVE watching Platuim Babyshowers.... OMG some of the ones on there are enough to make a girl jealous.....

After trying for over 10yrs our bundle of joy was born on 8/5/10 4lbs 7oz ~Brayden Kelley Ray~Such a miracle~Stole our Hearts~ Gods timing isnt our timing, but His timing is perfect~~
#16 of 20 Old 03-15-2010, 10:19 PM

I noticed that all the birth stories are the same too, as well as too many c-sections/circ's, but I always thought thats what is popular in east coast? It seems most of those births are filmed in NY/NJ and at the same hospitals. Is anyone here from around there? I wonder if thats the case or not. I watched them all throughout my first preganancy and they terrified me, but even though I birthed in a hospital, my experience was excellent. Even though I was laboring for 36hrs, 7 hours of pushing, no one ever mentioned even the possibility of a c-section. Plus the lactation nurses and everyone was so pro-BF they helped me out so much. And no one ever once even asked me if I wanted to circ. my son, not that i had intended to anyways It seems different areas of the US have different ideas of whats normal? I could be wrong. I love Cali

And hitting?? I have never even heard of anyone hitting their child these days, besides on the news..Much less recommending it to other mothers as a discipline technique. That amazes me that some people are still like that.
#17 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 11:18 AM

I'm a hospital birther so I watch them sometimes, but there are a LOT of c-sections. Like even with the national average being as high as 30%, on that show it's at least 50% if not more. It's kind of like "what's the point?" What's entertaining about watching a c-section? I can understand having a few thrown in there just so as not to ignore them, but I think more vaginal births or at least trial of labor would be more entertaining in a television sense.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#18 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM

I would love to see more vaginal (and natural) births on those shows. So frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie107 View Post
I noticed that all the birth stories are the same too, as well as too many c-sections/circ's, but I always thought thats what is popular in east coast? It seems most of those births are filmed in NY/NJ and at the same hospitals. Is anyone here from around there? I wonder if thats the case or not.
Interesting observation. If that's the case, for what it's worth NJ has the highest c-section rate in the nation at 38%.

... which is why I'm working w/ a midwife and birthing at a hospital that has a reputation for "intervention free births." (And is the only in the region to allow waterbirth!

It's totally scary, seriously. 38%!!!! Crazy, right?

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#19 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 12:07 PM

I have been wanting to see one with a vaginal birth but yet to.. I would like DD to see it... but maybe the one posted that the midwife with a homebirth will be a good one for her to watch.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#20 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 12:10 PM

They are seriously like ALLLLLLLL C/S nowadays!

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page