used breast pump? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I know it sounds gross, but my sister bought a new Medea Pump In Style and has used it for 2 kids and is willing to pass it down to me.

I know you can replace the tubes, etc, and that mostly cleans it up. I read somewhere that gunk can get stuck in the pump, but wouldn't running hot water and bleach through it (and then a TON of water to clear the bleach out) take care of that?

Everything says "don't buy used," but these things are mad expensive, and this isn't from some stranger-- it's my sister. I can't help but think the warnings are from a company trying to make $$$ from mamas, but I could see it being kind of gross. We're talking $300 here, though.

What do you ladies think?
#2 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 01:56 PM

Oh gosh, by all means GO FOR IT.

I bought a used one off of Craig's List, then went on Amazon and bought new tubes and parts (though I didn't buy new bottles or shields...I just boiled those like mad). When you look at the pump, there really isn't much that could get contaminated. It's a closed system.

I never worried about it one bit, really. Save the money and use your sister's pump!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#3 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 02:06 PM

I agree w ROM.
New tubes are your good to go!

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#4 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 03:25 PM

Shoot go for it!!

i'm on the SEARCH for a used breast pump. i'm still staying at home, so I won't spend $$ on a new one. i'll need it ocasionally but still want it to be a good one.

(kicking myself about yet ANOTHER thing I sold because *i'mnothavinganymorekids* )
#5 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies!!! I guess I was just concerned when the FDA said it. Like, of course Medea would say it, but the FDA? Well, I guess we know who's buddies with whom...
#6 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used my SIL's pump in style after 3 kids and I just replaced the tubes and the part that touches the breast. I didnt even run the bleach water through. I felt safe since I know SIL doesn't have any diseases and did not have thrush, although I don't think I would matter since I replaced all the tubes.

I would have a hard time if I got it at a thrift store, but from family... I didn't even blink an eye.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#7 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Gross? No, ma'am.

I was the third user of my PIS, there were two after me that I know of, and it was last seen headed for Kansas. Used pumps are not a problem.
#8 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 09:22 PM

A good friend (who is also an IBCLC!) gave me her PIS. I work at the hospital, so I've got a new kit with tubing and horns, etc. I'm not worried about it at all!

I think the "official" word is that it isn't actually a sealed system, so there's a potential for contamination in the pump. I used a Lactina last time and honestly, I can't see how milk would end up in the tubing, much less the motor...

I don't know that I'd be as excited about one from a stranger, but from your sister? No worries!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#9 of 13 Old 03-20-2010, 12:55 AM

my PIS was covered by medicaid so if any of you ladies are on that you may want to look into it. My MW wrote me a prescription for it and i went to the location they told me and gave them that and my medical card and it was paid for. The condition was that I had to have plans to return to work at 6 weeks (which i never endd up doing) I"m planning on getting new tubes for it and i only used it for my DD a few times. When i'm done i'll probably sell it on ebay or something (gonna be last kiddo).

I had a hand pump before the PIS and sent it to a friend. I had gotten it used on freecycle but couldn't handle the manual pump.

I would def. use a used pump again if i needed to.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#10 of 13 Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 AM

The issue is milk vapours getting into the open system (through the tubes that do the sucking). You can't run water or bleach through there without breaking the pump, so it can't truly be completely decontaminated.

With that said, I would never use a open system pump from a stranger but would have (and have!) no problem using a pump from my sister or someone I knew and trusted.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#11 of 13 Old 03-20-2010, 01:14 PM

Glad to see consensus here! Boil the parts in water with a bit of vinegar (or bleach, but very little). They last forever, pass them on!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#12 of 13 Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 PM

with my first, I got a breast pump from WIC which was a used donated pump that they sterilized for me. As long as you boil the parts that touch the milk or sterilize it in some other way its fine!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#13 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 PM

Are you delivering in a hospital? A lot of times they give you brand new tubing, shields, etc. for free so that you can use their hospital pumps. I actually ended up renting a hospital pump and using the new tubes, shields, etc. with it until I got my own. As far as I know many hospitals have a similar system, plus they have the motors in the nicu and most roomss for moms to use with their own attachments. So I definitely wouldnt worry about using one that only your sister used. I know many more used the hospital ones. Plus if you get free attachments in the hospital, its a bonus so you wont have to sterilize the tubing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page