Big belly and bikini? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I was listening to a big debate on the radio station about whether pregnant woman should wear bikinis or not.
Do you/ will you? If you have how does your SO feel about it?

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#2 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 AM

DDCC (saw this on new posts)

I definitely did. And if I was going to go swimming again in the next few weeks I would do it again.

I'm not buying a new bathing suit just to make everyone else happy! They can just look at my big tummy and get over themselves

I've seen people with way worse bodies than mine wear bikinis, so I say wear it with pride!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#3 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 AM

It boils down to... "if i don't find you attractive in it, you shouldn't wear it" for anyone against it... And that's just stupid. I say wear what makes YOU comfortable... If they don't want to see people wearing something they don't approve of, they should stay home.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 AM

I'm planning to. I don't like the way most of the maternity suits that cover the belly look. I'm going to show off my belly with pride, I don't care what people think of it.

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#5 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM

My belly is covered with very large and distracting stretch marks, so even though I would consider a maternity bikini the most comfortable way to be on the beach (and this is from a person who NEVER wears bikinis), I think I'd go with the bikini + cover-up combination. I bought a black beach/swim dress that I'll be using over my suit.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#6 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I really think it is very cute. I love seeing the bellies out and about! That being said, I feel a little self conscious about it. I am going to be swimming alot with DD this summer and plan on having a bikini and a tank to cover up.

I do love seeing them though.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#7 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Personally I'd like a one piece bandeau - but structurally I can't see how it would work. I would be unable to get the bandeau top part above the belly unless it tied in some fashion.

I'm not really big on the bikinis. But hey, people are going to wear what they're going to wear, so I'm not going to stress over it.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#8 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 12:44 PM

Here I am at 39 weeks pregnant on Canada Day two years ago. It was the only suit that was comfortable! I wore it at the annual Canada Day party that's hosted by my sister's ILs (who happen to be my mom and stepdad's BFFs). My BIL's grandma was there and was MORTIFIED, but she is notorious for her loudmouth opinions.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...s/DSC08229.jpg

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#9 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I think it is adorable, but apparently, lots of people find being pg gross. The other night on Bill Maher, he said that there was video of John Edwards performing oral sex on Rielle while she was 6 months pg, and he made a yucky face while he was reporting it. It made me angry and sad - like having sex with a pregnant woman is so disgusting.

If I don't get too fat elsewhere, I'll get a bikini.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#10 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Bill Maher also has issues with breastfeeding. Someone needs to get over himself.

Personally, it's not my thing, I wouldn't feel comfortable. It reminds me of the beginning of Kids in the Hall! I wore tankinis to the beach when pregnant with DD, and still do half the time when I'm not pg. A lot of maternity swimsuits are SO expensive, though, and it's one of those things I'd prefer not to buy used. I have to get a couple soon for our trip to Florida in May.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#11 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 02:01 PM

I did it in my last pregnancy. I have to say that when my cousins (who I'm not very close to) walked past, I did feel a little 'naked' in it. Maybe I would have felt naked in front of them in the bikini even if I wasn't pregnant? Not sure.

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

#12 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 02:09 PM

DDCC.

I did it, plenty of times. My first pregnancy and the first half of this pregnancy, I had no problems with it at all. I felt comfortable and didn't feel that I bothered anyone else, either.

Last month, though (about 7 months along), I felt very self-conscious, which is rare for me. Most of it wasn't due to the tummy, I think; but this time around I have real boobs and a curvier shape right now and in general just felt like I was flaunting my sexuality more than I'm comfortable with. I definitely made more of an effort to hide my body with a cover-up and jump into the water ASAP. It could also be due in part that thanks to the additional curves, I think my suit was getting a bit snug in all the wrong places.

DH agreed that this wasn't really the look I wanted, and we left the camera behind intentionally.

ETA: not sure that a belly-covering suit would have made any difference, but it might have!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#13 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamisty View Post
If you have how does your SO feel about it?
Forgot about this part of the question. My SO is unconcerned with what I wear at the beach, so long as I'm comfortable in it and feel good about myself.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#14 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 03:11 PM

Dh basically doesn't want me to wear anything but a bakini at the beach this summer. Bakini or not, I just want to find a cute suit that I like!

AnneCordelia, you look cute in that picture!

wife to DH 6/25/05, mama to DS 5/26/08 & DS2 9/1/10
#15 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 04:03 PM

I did when pregnant with DD but probably won't this time b/c I am too self-conscious about all the stretch marks I have on the belly. That said, I have no problem with any pregnant woman wearing a bikini. If someone doesn't want to see people's bellies, they shouldn't go to the beach/pool!

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#16 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia View Post
Here I am at 39 weeks pregnant on Canada Day two years ago. It was the only suit that was comfortable! I wore it at the annual Canada Day party that's hosted by my sister's ILs (who happen to be my mom and stepdad's BFFs). My BIL's grandma was there and was MORTIFIED, but she is notorious for her loudmouth opinions.

You look really cute, Emily!

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#17 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 06:07 PM

I love pregnant women in bikinis! I think there is nothing cuter.

I absolutely would wear one myself, except I have a stomach tattoo that will stretch and look odd as my belly grows. (This tattoo was done at a time when I was certain I would not give birth to my own children).

SAHM to one precious 2 year old and wife to my loving DH. And here we go again!
****5****10****15****20****25**joy.gif*30****35****40
#18 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 06:40 PM

I haven't decided if I will or not. I'm not a bikini person normally. I like being covered and more modest. Just my personality. However... I am also not willing to spend enormous amounts of money on a maternity suit. Most likely I will not be in a very public place while swimming and hopefully wouldn't feel too uncomfortable in a bikini or bikini type suit. In the end I think it may boil down to if I get stretch marks on my stomach. I have them on other areas of my body, and have since puberty, and it has always been a self-conscious thing with me.

All that said, I don't have a problem with other mamas wearing them, I think they are adorable!

Mama to Penelope!! born 9/19/10. Missing Elliott 10/10/09. And expecting expecting again Oct '14!
#19 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia View Post

BEAUTIFUL! I love the "pregnant belly in a bikini look".

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#20 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
L J

I did last pregnancy, and I did it proudly and with no shame, even at the super snotty yuppie Y that we were members of for the pool.

This time, no, I'm going to stick with a tankini, but its because I am self conscious of my stretch marks and have no plans to show them to the world. Laying around in the yard while Henry plays in his little pool - I'll wear a bikini. Beach, no.

As for my DP, he loves me. I don't think he see a difference if I'm wearing sweats or a nightie, I doubt he'd have anything to say about it.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#21 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 PM

I haven't worn a swimsuit since I was 10, but more power to you bikini wearin mamas!

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#22 of 43 Old 03-23-2010, 07:12 PM

In response to the SO part of the question...

he wouldn't care. he doesn't care what I wear really.

Granted, I wont wear a bikini in public without a coverup (for the same reason as other posters... just not comfortable with it myself. I have nothing at all against doing so!) but I do figure I will be getting one to wear around the back yard and through the sprinkler (and if we get a small kiddie pool, to sit in there too)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#23 of 43 Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 AM

I plan on wearing a bikini this summer (which I always do anyway) while 6-9 months pregnant. My SO says he loves it when pregnant women show their bellies. He actually said this way before I was pregnant. He says it is very cool when women are confident and comfortable with their bodies. I totally agree. Hopefully, I will be comfortable when I'm huge!

I love these beautiful photos for encouragement.
#24 of 43 Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, my other babies are winter born so big belly wasn't an issue. When not pg I am normally a bikini wearer, I have looked at tankinis for this time but mainly so that I can continue to wear it after birth for easier nursing access. Honestly I don't think the bikinis I have now will fit me well, my boobs were about to jump out before and I just don't think they will...boo!
I hope I find something, I wear like a 36 DDD so like and XXL in bikini but they're too big around and I'm not perky enough so I need a lot of support.

I asked about the SO part because it was part of the debate, a husband wrote in that he was really embarrassed and uncomfortable seeing his 7 month pregnant wife in a bikini with people they knew around but didn't know what to say to her. DF and I haven't talked about it for me, but I'm going to wear what I am comfortable in so I don't see him having an issue.

Cute pic, I love seeing bellies!

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#25 of 43 Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM

Go Bikinis! I must admit that when I looked at my photos from Greece, it was not my belly that surprised me but my boobs . I will choose a top with a little more coverage this year. Hubbie didn't seem to mind though.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#26 of 43 Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
He says it is very cool when women are confident and comfortable with their bodies.
What if you are MORE confident and comfortable in something that just covers you a little more? : Know what I'm saying? It's not necessarily that I don't love the way my body looks hugely pregnant, but that what I personally like is something with more material, typically even when I'm not pregnant. Less isn't always more, right?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#27 of 43 Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
What if you are MORE confident and comfortable in something that just covers you a little more? : Know what I'm saying? It's not necessarily that I don't love the way my body looks hugely pregnant, but that what I personally like is something with more material, typically even when I'm not pregnant. Less isn't always more, right?
Very true, absolutely what is most important is being comfortable inside and out!

#28 of 43 Old 03-26-2010, 02:52 PM

I've worn a bikini for every pregnancy - heck it's the only time i feel awesome doing it!
Big belly out weighs my big butt.

this year I bought a maternity bottom skirty thing, and i'm just going to wear that with my decade long supply of bikini tops.
(I did have other plans for a swuim suit this year, but a trip to the motherhood dressing room convinced me to stick with the belly baring bikini)

as for my SO. his opinion doesn't really play into it. especially since his opinion is that clothes are over rated and I should just be naked 99.9% of the time.

The lost lagoon swim area at sea world is already open and I am just waiting for the rainy days to pass so I can go lounge there like the beached whale I am. At least until the community pool opens.
#29 of 43 Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryknowlicious View Post
I've worn a bikini for every pregnancy - heck it's the only time i feel awesome doing it!
Big belly out weighs my big butt.

this year I bought a maternity bottom skirty thing, and i'm just going to wear that with my decade long supply of bikini tops.
(I did have other plans for a swuim suit this year, but a trip to the motherhood dressing room convinced me to stick with the belly baring bikini)

as for my SO. his opinion doesn't really play into it. especially since his opinion is that clothes are over rated and I should just be naked 99.9% of the time.

The lost lagoon swim area at sea world is already open and I am just waiting for the rainy days to pass so I can go lounge there like the beached whale I am. At least until the community pool opens.

I didn't know it was open already!!
We were there last weekend but it was 40 degrees burrrr
We will have to meet up and show off our baby bumps together

#30 of 43 Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM

DS (2) loves the pool, and I can't afford a maternity suit, so I'll probably just wear my bikini (because what the heck else can I wear???).

Plus...DS still nurses with some frequency, and I can't imagine they make maternity + nursing bathing suits?

I may well be the scandalous pregnant lady in a bikini nursing a toddler IN the pool.

Gasp at me. Gasp loudly!

(FTR: I don't really have a desire to nurse him at or in the pool, but it'll probably happen at least once...)

As for DH - I don't even have to ask him. He wouldn't be bothered in the least and would just want me to do whatever worked best. Not having to spend money on a suit I'll wear for one summer and not be able to re-sell would be a major selling point, too!

B, happily married to M. Mother to two boys: B (3/08) and A (9/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page