What do you already have for baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I probably won't buy a single new thing for this babe until...August, and that'll be a new carseat and a going away outfit. It's not that I'm superstitious, but I'm a PAL momma and it's too hard right now. But luckily, I have a boy and a girl already and I'll be pretty set anyways. Besides, I breastfeed, cloth diaper, and cosleep....no need for much

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 03-28-2010, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess we're pretty ready.

I had a baby less than 2 years ago, and kept much of my stuff.

I have a playpen, multiple types of slings/wraps/pouches, cloth diapers, layette, infant carseat, recieving blankets, and a double stroller.

I can't think what else I'll need for a newborn...not much more. The boobs are attached to me, and the baby will sleep in my bed. I might pick up a bouncy chair between now and then, but we'll see.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#33 of 43 Old 03-28-2010, 02:47 PM

Everyone keeps mentioning the bouncy seat. Is this a must-have? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what all do you use it for? Any recommendations on particular ones?

Sometimes I think I am going to be such a dumb parent. For all my reading about pregnancy and birth and talking to all of y'all, occasionally I get this feeling like "I don't know ONE thing about babies. OMG! Help me!"

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#34 of 43 Old 03-28-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMcGluestick View Post
Everyone keeps mentioning the bouncy seat. Is this a must-have? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what all do you use it for? Any recommendations on particular ones?

Sometimes I think I am going to be such a dumb parent. For all my reading about pregnancy and birth and talking to all of y'all, occasionally I get this feeling like "I don't know ONE thing about babies. OMG! Help me!"
Nope, not a must-have. However, it's a nice-to-have. If you need to pee or take a shower, or cook a meal, or whatever, it's good to have somewhere to put down the baby. A blanket on the floor works, but sometimes a bouncy chair or swing works better. I got both handed down from friends, and my baby definitely preferred the swing.

And hahaha, I think we're all dumb about babies until suddenly you have one and you just kind of naturally figure it out. It doesn't take long. And it doesn't matter what you read or what anyone tells you, because your baby will always be different than anything you've heard, haha.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#35 of 43 Old 03-28-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

My son actually hated the bouncer, but LOVED the swing. As un-helpful as my then DH was, I was so glad to have it when I needed to shower or shave or something lol

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#36 of 43 Old 03-28-2010, 05:04 PM

because every child is different its a gamble...

DS only liked his bouncy seat until he was big enough to put in the swing (was not one that was usable at a young age due to how the seat was designed) and hated it after that. DD preferred bouncy seat and hated the swing unless the house was perfectly quiet. Odd, yes... but still enough for me to invest in both just to be safe for this one.

Of course... you dont really NEED anything except a blanket and enough food to keep your milk flowing... but some things are just REALLY helpful to have.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#37 of 43 Old 03-28-2010, 05:29 PM

As far as the NEEDs, there was a thread a bit back on Life With a Babe, this was my list-- I wouldn't want to do without any of these things:

Carseat
Changing Table
Onesies and sleepers
Receiving blankets
Hats
Baby carrier
Medical Kit with nail clippers, nose aspirator, thermometer
Baby wash, cornstarch powder, diaper-rash cream
Hooded towels, soft baby washclothes
Rubbing alcohol and swabs for stump
Cotton balls (for washing face and neck)
Diapers, Covers, Snappis, Wipes
Nursing Pillow

Some may have different lists (I know that some don't use changing tables, or alcohol on the stump), but that's mine.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#38 of 43 Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMcGluestick View Post

For me, it is a must have. I don't buy much other than the basics for baby (diapers, clothes, medical stuff, and carseat) so for me the one "luxury" that I insist on getting is a bouncer (doesn't have to make noise or vibrate) just somewhere to put baby down where he/she will be comfy esp on bathroom floor while showering for example. i could put baby on blanket on floor but that just doesn't appeal to me in the least. oh and this time I got a GOOD thermometer (temporal scanner).

all i need now is carseat and i'm pretty much done.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#39 of 43 Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 AM

Yes, I too use a bouncy when showering. It's very easy to put the baby in the bouncy chair... and then put that in front of the shower. For me, the vibration is great as well--especially for a gassy baby.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#40 of 43 Old 03-29-2010, 03:34 AM
L J

I have some stuff left over from Henry, but not much.

I have:
a handful of newborn sleepers
infant carseat
mei tai (wrap OMT)
pouch sling, if it still fits
simple newborn diaper stash

I still feel like I need to buy SO MUCH though!

I didn't have any type of "Baby container" with Henry, but with this being #2, I am going to want some this go round.

I want/need to buy:
pack and play, or somewhere for baby to sleep
swing
stretchy wrap
woven wrap (I like carrier options)
socks, hats, t shirts, cotton pants

Hmm... really, I guess that's not too much I need to get. I'm not going to buy anything big just yet, though, because our lease is up at the end of July and we are going to move somewhere bigger. That is, if DP doesn't get transfered somewhere else first, which we are really hoping for. I don't want to move in the 3rd trimester in 100+ Alabama muggy heat!

I really want a new car (minivan) before baby gets here, but I can make do with my tiny Jeep Cherokee Classic (the boxy one) if I need to for a little while.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#41 of 43 Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM

we have:
cot (crib) - bought second hand
chest of drawers that will double as changing table - bought second hand
baby car seat
some clothes that were on sale for insanely cheap prices at a really good store.
it's part of what's made this pregnancy seem more real for us. and it hasn't dented our pockets too badly as I love a bargain and will get most things second hand.

we 'need' lots of stuff.
i lent most of ds' stuff to family members who had babies, and i'm waiting to see if any of the things come back.

Mama to Luka - 22 February 2005, Tiisetso - 18 September 2010 & 3 angel bubbles
#42 of 43 Old 04-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn82 View Post
I have absolutely NOTHING!
Same here. Although not due until Sept, so I figure we've got time. I also have 2 girlfriends tell me they are going to give various items, I will take just about anything I can get!

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#43 of 43 Old 04-03-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Woohoo My best friend just let me know she bought me a pack n play (which I need since I'm not buying a crib. We'll be co-sleeping with the pack n play being used for naps and such) and the nursing pillow that I wanted. Yay

She knows me so well and knows what a planner I am, so her telling me what she bought me is awesome! Suprise, shmurprise lol.

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page